PDA

View Full Version : What is your fave type of yarn to use?

knittingymnast
02-10-2008, 07:29 PM
Sorry, here's the REAL thing. I was trying to figure out how to create a poll, and the 1st one, well, I messed it up BAD. :oops:

I like to try out new things with acrylic, so that I don't waste the good stuff if I mess it up. Especially if it was expensive! :heart:

Newbie2Knitting
02-10-2008, 07:40 PM
I haven't knitted with cotton yet. I love the feel of Alpca, but I find it uncomfortable to wear (feels prickly around my neck). I'll use synthetics to do the stuff that I know will be used (& abused) by younger children but I like the feel of wool *much* better.:)

Knit4Fun
02-10-2008, 08:12 PM
I am not a fan of cotton so far because it splits easily. I like alpaca but mainly when mixed with another fiber like wool to thicken it up. Wool's my favorite!

angel4ever
02-10-2008, 08:27 PM
I absolutley love wool!

I do however, want to try cashmere or alpaca to see what all the fuss is about ;)

lostchyld
02-10-2008, 08:44 PM
I'm a 100% wool kind of gal, myself. That's especially for garments. Even itchy wool is more comfortable than any other fiber. I don't like plant or man made fibers because they hurt my hands to work with.

babsnelson
02-10-2008, 09:15 PM
It all depends on what I'm making. Overall, I tend to prefer wool. For a more comfortable garment though, a silk/wool blend is really nice and knits beautifully!

If I'm making something for a baby or small child, I won't consider anything other than acrylic. That's all I use for my kids until they are able to drink/eat without making a mess on their shirts. :doh:

texas1107`
02-10-2008, 09:18 PM
So far, I love the softness and easy working of Caron Simply Soft 100% Acrylic

Mike
02-10-2008, 09:46 PM
Acrylic because I can afford enough to always have plenty on hand.

I do love wool but I haven't had any that stood up well to much practice.

I haven't used anything else. (Cotton by choice, I've never seen any that tripped my trigger.)

That's all I use for my kids until they are able to drink/eat without making a mess on their shirts. :doh:
I still haven't acquired that ability after 45 years. :roflhard:

babsnelson
02-11-2008, 09:37 AM
I still haven't acquired that ability after 45 years. :roflhard:

Dang - does that mean there will never be any hope for my kids??? :doh:

Sanibelle
02-11-2008, 10:31 AM
I love wool or wool blends - wool/silk is my favorite. I love alpaca too but wool is more versatile.

knitgal
02-11-2008, 10:33 AM
I love wool, but I voted for alpaca because it's just the most wonderful thing to work with- ever!

Sunshine's Mom
02-11-2008, 11:09 AM
So far, I love the softness and easy working of Caron Simply Soft 100% Acrylic

I have to agree with this! For a yarn that is washable and dryer friendly you can't get any better than this. Perfect for socks and sweaters. It's warm and sooooo soft. Working with it is a dream. I definitely have plans for more of this yarn. Currently making socks with it.

Jaxhil
02-11-2008, 03:48 PM
Am I the only one who can't decide? :p

I love wool, but living in Texas makes wool somewhat impractical for much of the year. I really like cotton, too, but it isn't as forgiving as wool. I like blends, as well, synthetics with wool for instance (but would still probably prefer wool if it weren't for the other factor, of Texas heat!); and also I love synthetics for their easy care-plus if my kids (3 boys and a girl) ruin them I won't be so upset at all the $$ invested ;)

And I have some Alpaca in the stash thats blended with wool but I haven't worked with it yet. It sure feels nice in the skein though!

I would love to try some silk and wool blends-I have some in my stash also but again, haven't gotten around to it yet.

Koehnae
02-11-2008, 04:49 PM
Well, I've personally only worked with cotton, acrylic and wool and of those wool is my definite front runner.

I'm hoping to expand my horizons as I get more confident with my knitting skills. I'm planning on trying out alpaca, silk, and cashmere all within the next few months. I'd really love to make myself a cashmere sweater someday (soon), but I want to improve my garment skills (and drop a few pounds) before I spend that kind of cash.

susi
02-11-2008, 05:19 PM
for me its acrylic all the way as its all i can afford right now.

i so want to try alpaca, esp as my parents have offered to buy me 2 aplaca's (male and female hehe), so i need to know if i like the yarn really first lol

susi

susi
02-11-2008, 05:23 PM
just realised, i think i am possibly one of the few people that hate wool. i did buy some ages ago. started knitting with it and ripped it out as the yarn was just nasty.

susi

knittingymnast
02-11-2008, 06:25 PM
you HATE wool? why? i love love LOVE wool! :muah:

rachejm
02-11-2008, 06:30 PM
most of what i buy is acrylic because thats what i can afford but i prefer wool when i can get my hands on some without breaking the bank!

susi
02-11-2008, 06:53 PM
you HATE wool? why? i love love LOVE wool! :muah:
i just never got on with it. i found it hard to work with, itchy and irretated my skin as i worked it. the cats love playing with the 100% wool i have (sorry :aww: ). i bought 1000g that the cats are having great fun with. i ball it up really tight and sew the end so its really tight; they play for hours with it. prehaps i should have just offered it to people on here, oops sorry. i hadn't realised that people actually liked knitting with it so much.

susi

knittingymnast
02-11-2008, 07:34 PM
oh, thats ok. now i understand. hope your cats have fun with the yarn!

knitmama
02-11-2008, 07:55 PM
I LOVE wool! It's so impractical for Florida, but I love working with it. I've tried acrylic and cotton, and they do serve their purpose, but wool and wool blends are the way to go. For me anyways.:teehee:

knittingymnast
02-11-2008, 07:57 PM
I agree, knitmama.

gingerbread
02-12-2008, 11:12 AM
I love knitting with wool. My grandkids love the scarves that they get every winter.
I only used cotton once and it was crochet I made a lap gan with it. Let me tell ya that lapgan is darn heavy. I love it. I wouldn't ever knit cotton for anything large other than a dishcloth.

knittingymnast
02-12-2008, 04:32 PM
you HATE wool? why? i love love LOVE wool! :muah:i just never got on with it. i found it hard to work with, itchy and irretated my skin as i worked it. the cats love playing with the 100% wool i have (sorry :aww: ). i bought 1000g that the cats are having great fun with. i ball it up really tight and sew the end so its really tight; they play for hours with it. prehaps i should have just offered it to people on here, oops sorry. i hadn't realised that people actually liked knitting with it so much.

susi

sorry about the irritation. you may have a wool allergy like many people.

MerigoldinWA
02-12-2008, 08:32 PM
I have not knitted with pure wool a lot because it is expensive. The cheaper wool I have bought isn't real wonderful. I think I would love really nice wool. But....I use acrylic and acrylic and wool blends the most and don't mind them. I'm using a lot of Wool-Ease right now.

knittingymnast
02-12-2008, 09:34 PM
wool ease is real nice. i like to make big fat chunky things out of it like chunky hats and blankets. its chunky or super-chunky weight, right?

MerigoldinWA
02-12-2008, 10:26 PM
I think they have a bulky weight, but I never use it. I'm not a fan of heavy yarn. The Wool-Ease I have is worsted weight, and the skein says it works up to 18 stitches=4 inches. This is 20% wool.

knittingymnast
02-13-2008, 08:55 AM
wool ease is found in many different weights. i think that super chunky yarn is too thick. it kinda looks cool though....

miccisue
02-13-2008, 09:37 AM
just realised, i think i am possibly one of the few people that hate wool. i did buy some ages ago. started knitting with it and ripped it out as the yarn was just nasty.

susi

Nope, you're not alone - I hate it too. It just irritates the heck out of me....can't stand to work with it what with the rashes, itching.....Blech!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lelvsdgs
02-13-2008, 08:17 PM
I love blends because I can't work with pure wool. I did get a fabulous baby alpaca from Blue Sky Alpaca in the mail just yesterday. But I am enjoying the blends that are out there now. (so I voted other)

Rosemary
02-13-2008, 08:19 PM
Cannot knit with wool. Just can't. It itches like crazy.

This is not a bad thing as most of my knitting is for babies (for friends or charity for hospitals). I can afford acrylic in the quantities needed.

AND, I like the softness of most acrylic. Am currently knitting a feather and fan blanket using Lion Brand Pound of Love. Yummy.

BTW, Michael's has it on sale starting Sunday for $4.89. That's for both Lion Brand and Caron One Pound.

knittingymnast
06-19-2008, 08:08 PM
BUMP! (4 the new people here!)

Crafty_Mel
06-19-2008, 08:38 PM
Well I use mostly acrylic. I have used wool blend a few times and I LOVED it but really its not in the financial fairy dust for me ( at least not on a regular basis).

I use cotton strictly for dishcloths and scrubies and the like :knitting:

newamy
06-19-2008, 09:20 PM
What a tough question! It really depends on what I'm making. I like cotton. I like alpaca. I really don't use much acrylic except for the occasional blend or novelty item. I like wool too. So I had to think about the yarns that just begin to look lovely as soon as you have an inch or two and that is wool. But I think I really prefer wool blends, like Lambs Pride I just love the wool and mohair. I'm currently making something with Elizabeth Lavold Silky Wool. It's lovely, the only problem with it is that sport wt. takes forever to knit! Alpaca and silk is also lovely.

knittingymnast
04-25-2009, 09:06 PM
Bump!! :woot:

Knitting_Guy
04-25-2009, 09:14 PM
My favorite kind of yarn is...free. :mrgreen:

AH1OZ
04-25-2009, 10:09 PM
I can not knit with wool as i am allergic to it

i like cotton and acrylic. depends what i am making. if i am making something for my son i typically use cotton because he has sensitive skin like me.

basically i buy either cotton or acrylic, whichever has the colour i am looking for!

TEMA
04-28-2009, 10:41 PM
I haven't been able to use much in the way of wool yet - way too expensive except for the stuff I find secondhand. :woot:
I found some lovely grey stuff one day at ValuVillage. It was very fine and I'm not into that but I bot it anyway and knit my Mom a pair of socks using it with a soft acrylic.
I figured it would give the cheap acrylic some strength and it did, besides adding a nice colour combination.
I'm always buying acrylic - mostly because it washes so easily and it quite cheap by comparison.
One day I'm hoping to buy some sock yarn... LOL!
TEMA:knitting:

Plantgoddess+
04-28-2009, 10:44 PM
TEMA since you live in Canada have you checked Elann's website? They have very good prices on a lot of different yarns. I bought a bunch of superwash sock yarn for $2.30 a skein. Even after paying shipping to US I thought it was a decent price. They also have tons of free patterns using the yarns they sell.

Craw
05-01-2009, 09:25 AM
I can't choose! I like them all. Depends on what I'm making. Wool for felting, warmth in scarves, hats, and mittens; acrylic and acrylic blends for afghans and kids things because I can wash it and also because I can afford it LOL; cotton for dishcloths, potholders, and tote bags, and even clothing if it's soft cotton. I haven't tried alpaca yet but I have a wool/alpaca blend in my stash that will be a hat and scarf set one day so I'll get to try it soon.

pinktoque
05-01-2009, 10:46 AM
I am not a fan of cotton so far because it splits easily. I like alpaca but mainly when mixed with another fiber like wool to thicken it up. Wool's my favorite!

This was my exact thinking as well. I enjoy cotton for its durability and all, but as far as working with it... ugh, it splits too easily. I use a lot of synthetics/acrylic for stuff that will get abused and needs to be washed often or for amigurumi toys when I crochet, but I love knitting with wool. Mmmmm, wool.

Shandeh
05-02-2009, 01:11 AM
I based my answer purely on your poll question:
What is your fave yarn to work with?

I enjoy using ALL yarns, because they all have their function, depending on what I want to make.

But, the yarn that makes my hands happy when I'm knitting is good old fashioned, worsted weight WOOL. It just seems to flow nicely, and makes such a pretty fabric. The stitches just seem to "stand up" proudly.

When I've knitted swatches of different yarns, and compared them, the wool swatches always look so much nicer and more professional.

knitfan
05-02-2009, 01:40 PM
I am also allergic to most wool, but not merino wool. For some reason it does not scratch me at all and it feels so warm and soft.
My favorite is Cascade 220 yarn.