PDA

View Full Version : heart murmur?

Kels Joy.
02-11-2008, 05:47 PM
in every doctors appointment i've ever had, they've always mentioned my heart mumur, which i've had since i was born. my brother has one too and he was checked out when he was born and its nothing serious. my mom has always said that mine was nothing serious either, and its just always been there.
today, when i had a doctors appointment cus i've been sick, my new doctor asked my mom about it. my mom said the usual, and my doctor asked if i ever had it checked out cus it seemed more pronounced than he usually heard. my mom picked this moment to remember, "oh no, we never had hers checked out, now that i think about it." so now, i suddenly have a test (i think it's called an echogram?) scheduled thanks to my new doctor because he's concerned and wants me to get it checked out. my mom doesnt really know much about murmurs, and neither do i, accept that they're usually common and harmless. my mom and i were too preoccupied to actually ask more questions, but now i'm kinda scared. i looked on webMD for some info but i couldn't really find anything- it was all about heart disease. does anyone know anything about heart murmurs? :shrug:

Jan in CA
02-11-2008, 05:52 PM
I have mitral valve prolapse (MVP) and had to have an echocardiogram many years ago. I have occasional times when I can tell it's there..my heart will beat oddly or it'll race a bit. Never been a problem though for me.

The test is very simple so don't worry about that. Murmurs are pretty common and it may be nothing serious so try not to worry too much. :hug:

texas1107
02-11-2008, 05:55 PM
A heart murmur is basically a different sound made by the heart. I have had one all my life, I'm 39 and my son has 3. Don't let it worry you. here is a link to look at. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/Diseases/heartmurmur/hmurmur_what.html

PCwombat
02-11-2008, 06:02 PM
Not quite the same, but my cat has always had a heart murmer. Her's is nothing serious. She's 15 now and, except for some minor age-related kidney issues, she's in perfect health.

susi
02-11-2008, 06:24 PM
a friend of mine has one. it hasn't stopped her doing anything at all.

i'm afraid i don't know a great deal about heart conditions (i should as i have one lol).

try not to worry. you have been fine all these years so whats going to be different now hun

susi

get_her_donne
02-11-2008, 06:55 PM
Yeah I used to have those little flutters in my heart when I tried to sleep at night. They used to terrify me, but I either don't notice them or don't have them anymore. I'll pray that your echo thing goes well ;).

knittingymnast
02-11-2008, 07:59 PM
excuse me, and i know this is a silly question, but WHAT is a heart murmur?

bethany
02-11-2008, 08:43 PM
my dd has had one since birth too and she will likely grow out of hers. She had an echo done too and it's just hooking wires up-no pain, not invasive at all. Murmurs are often "amplified" when you are sick, so that may be why it was caught again now... :) Don't worry!

Jan in CA
02-11-2008, 09:00 PM
excuse me, and i know this is a silly question, but WHAT is a heart murmur?

Amazing what you can find when you search. :teehee:

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/Diseases/heartmurmur/hmurmur_what.html
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/heart-murmurs/DS00727

knittingymnast
02-11-2008, 09:18 PM
oh, thanks Jan!

HollyP
02-12-2008, 02:37 PM
My brother has a heart murmur along with other congenital heart defects. His murmur is almost always amplified, like Bethany said, when he is sick. My dog has one too. So far for both of them it hasn't really been an issue. Don't worry about the echo it will be painless and over before you know it!

Abbily
02-12-2008, 04:15 PM
I had a heart murmur (ventral-septral defect) for most of my life, into my teen years at least. I had a heart doctor that checked on it every so often, but no-one ever made a big deal of it. I was told that they usually close by age 5, but if not then it will always be there.

Well, when I got pregnant at age 26, I wanted to have it checked out again just to be sure it wouldn't cause complications with the baby. I had an echocardiogram, and lo and behold, it's gone now! They jammed that little monitor thingy into my chest every which way they could, and found no trace of it.

Hang in there- having it checked out is probably a good idea, but definitely doesn't mean anything bad is going to happen!

GinnyG
02-12-2008, 04:27 PM
I am a Cardiac Rehab nurse, as everyone has said a heart murmur can be no big deal. They are fairly common in women and most spend their entire lives without any complications as a result.

The echocardiogram is a good baseline test to have and will provide valuable information in the future. As you get older I am sure the Dr's will repeat it just to "keep an eye" on the problem. It is a painless test and actually quite interesting, ask the technician who is doing it to explain it what they are seeing to you. It's pretty cool. Heart murmurs can be caused by any number of issues so it's good to find out exactly what's going on.

It should not interfere with your life in anyway and if someday when you are old and gray you need to have the valve replace (heart murmurs are usually caused by leaky valves in the heart) it's a pretty simple operation and getting simpler every day.

So don't worry about it, know that it's a good thing that they are paying attention now, that way if a problem does arise in the future you'll be right on top of it.

A very small percentage of women do end up having surgery sooner than later but the surgery itself has come a very long way and once it's fixed (if it needs to be) you life will be absolutely normal.

cftwo
02-13-2008, 09:50 AM
My cat has a heart murmur and I got to watch the tests they did - a sonogram (as I understand it) on his heart. As I understand it, the murmur (at least in my cat) is caused by a valve in the heart not quite closing properly. In my cat the extra work the heart had to do for it has caused some thickening in the walls of the heart. The vet told me to give me a baby aspirin every other day so he won't develop blood clots (a greater risk, I guess, since his murmur is a bit worse than it was at first). But a "heart murmur" SOUNDS a whole lot worse to you than it really is.

Jeremy
02-13-2008, 12:48 PM
If you are not suffering any ill effects from the murmmer right now ie. shortness of breath, chest pain etc. then your doctor is probably just trying to better define what is going on and see what your baseline is to better be able to monitor it. Having a murmmer means nothing if it does not have a harmful effect on your heart. For people with mitral valve prolapse, doctors often prescribe antibiotics before dental procedures to prevent an infection from happening on the cusps of the mitral valve.

Jan in CA
02-13-2008, 01:35 PM
For people with mitral valve prolapse, doctors often prescribe antibiotics before dental procedures to prevent an infection from happening on the cusps of the mitral valve.

Yep. I take them especially before any dental work.

Abbily
02-13-2008, 03:22 PM
I did too, until the last echo when they discovered that mine has mysteriously closed up. :)