PDA

View Full Version : Alligator Scarf KAL?

labeelady
02-12-2008, 12:41 AM
Anyone interested in working on the Alligator Scarf from Morehouse Farm? I just got my kit in today!

Karina
02-12-2008, 03:38 PM
Saw this kit and have just ordered one today as well as the pattern for the Mittens. But will probably be a couple of weeks before it reaches me here in the UK.

labeelady
02-13-2008, 12:03 AM
Oooh...it is so much fun! I have already completed the head, starting on the body. I showed it to some friends and they all guessed it was an alligator!

Karina
02-13-2008, 09:47 AM
Sounds exciting, please post a picture. love to see the progress you are making.

Wildfire
02-18-2008, 03:48 PM
I got my kit for Valentine's Day ^^
What color did you get? I got the Lagoon color.
I can't wait for the day I wear my completed scarf and see someone else wearing theirs and then we can have this comforting, awkward moment of staring and talking. Happy knitting all!

labeelady
02-20-2008, 11:43 PM
I got one of the new colors, Swamp Croc.

I'm already into the main body, where you do the 10-stitch bind-offs.

Karina
02-21-2008, 06:18 AM
Still waiting for my kit to arrive. any progress pictures? would love to see how you are getting on.

labeelady
02-21-2008, 11:38 PM
You got it! This is as it looks now (2/21/08)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3032/2282407409_7afeafda57.jpg?v=0

Karina
02-22-2008, 09:43 AM
Thats just brilliant. the eyes makes it look very menacing. my nearly 7 year old son will love it. is it as 3D as it looks?

labeelady
02-22-2008, 07:25 PM
Yes, the eyes are made by binding off a few stitches, then casting on more stitches than you cast off on the next row. They're actually nothing more than holes but they do look menacing.

As you're knitting the body of the gator, you are increasing across the row, then you bind off several stitches, knit a few, bind off again, then on the next row you knit even, closing the gap made by the binding off. That forms the "bumps" on the back.

NaloMeli
02-23-2008, 06:58 PM
I'm ordering one in Lagoon. I've not done a KAL before...how does one do it?

Question - In MoreHouse Farm add - they have a special kind of color scheme/skein for these - if I wanted to do another one, which of their yarns would I order. I didn't see Croc Yarns under their Knitting Essentials.

Looking forward to it...what colors did everyone get?

labeelady
02-23-2008, 08:18 PM
I don't see the gator yarns anywhere but the page where they sell the scarf kits. Evidently you buy the yarn, then the pattern comes with it. You get two skeins of it, plenty enough for the adult scarf.

I'm using the SwampCroc color for mine.

Karina
02-24-2008, 12:49 PM
I'm still waiting for mine, I think I would make more than one of these for my kids. I plan for the second scarf to just buy a similar yarn locally.

labeelady
02-24-2008, 01:17 PM
One yarn that comes to mind is Cascade 220. It comes in a wide variety of colors and is similar in size to the Morehouse Farm yarn.

Karina
02-25-2008, 08:07 AM
Got my kit today, not for a bit a time to cast on. I just had to pick up my 12 year old from school because she felt unwell. so may take a couple of days before I get to play. Can't wait.

Stonington
02-25-2008, 12:34 PM
Good Morning :)
I would like to just order the pattern - does anyone know if this is possible? thanks so much!
anne
sebago, me

Karina
02-25-2008, 02:44 PM
As far as I could tell you have to order the kit. I wanted to order the pattern as well as it would have been cheaper to buy the yarn in this country with the post they charge. If you live in the US the postage seemed quite reasonable.

Stonington
02-25-2008, 04:55 PM
As far as I could tell you have to order the kit. I wanted to order the pattern as well as it would have been cheaper to buy the yarn in this country with the post they charge. If you live in the US the postage seemed quite reasonable.

Thanks Karina, I was afraid of that. From what I have heard the yarn that comes in the kit is scratchy. I did not really want to buy the whole thing.. with shipping for over 30 dollars just for the pattern lol..

Thanks again :hug:
anne
sebago, me

Karina
02-25-2008, 07:22 PM
Would have to agree the yarn is not nice, very rough.
I wonder if it has to be to hold the 3D shape or could you use any yarn that is the same thickness? If I use the yarn that comes with the kit I definitely would not give it to my son.

labeelady
02-25-2008, 07:54 PM
I'm hoping the yarn softens up in the wash. Most yarns have sizing on them, so washing it might make the yarn softer. It is merino though and handwashing is recommended.

Karina
02-26-2008, 05:06 AM
That is good to know, will knit it up and see how it goes. if it gets softer my son will get it. I have plans to make more than one anyway.

NaloMeli
02-26-2008, 03:26 PM
I am patiently waiting for my kit - should be here by Thursday. And, not so patiently waiting for my Raverly invite. I know, 4000+ before to go and they are doing the best they can. :shrug:

About the kit: I'm hoping that it's superwash if it's Merino, otherwise it will felt...which might be interesting - but not what I wanted! I love the baby croc's too. I may order one, but use a much softer yarn. I can understand it might be hard to make a soft, 3-D effect, but I don't like scratchy yarn!

So while I wait for both, I'm :knitting: a Messenger bag from "Knitting for Peace" by B. Christiansen.

mariposa
02-26-2008, 04:53 PM
I'm a new knitter, and the alligator scarf is my 3rd project (after a garter stitch scarf and learning to purl on some wrist warmers). I wasn't going to start something this complicated, but I got a request for "something unusual" in a scarf. Can't say that alligators are the usual!

Mine's in the Moss color (aka "Everglades" - you can see what the "real" gator color names are by mousing over the square of color on their website).

Fortunately, the pattern's actually turning out to be pretty straightforward - if a bit time consuming for me. I'm into the repeats of the "main body" section now, and each repeat's taking me about an hour (including any backtracking when I get it wrong - which usually happens at least once each repeat).

Are there any rules to a Knitalong besides ...well ...knitting?

labeelady
02-26-2008, 07:24 PM
Not much, except to post your progress occasionally or if you get "stuck" due to a problem with the pattern. I better get busy! I stopped working on it when I got to the main body.
Now that we have some people who will be knitting it, I need to get on the stick!

NaloMeli
02-27-2008, 06:10 PM
Hi Knit-sibs,

I just my notice that the Croc is on my doorstep, but I'm stuck at work until 7 p.m. :cry:

Love the progress you are making. I was kind of hoping we got to knit it from the tail forward (I don't know that I'll like the big :flirt: watching me).

I'll post pictures when, sigh, I get home. Can't wait to get it on my needles.

Oh, has anyone bought or knit the baby crocs?

mariposa
02-29-2008, 05:00 PM
I haven't knit the baby croc yet, but I have the pattern! I splurged and got the whole critter book. Now I'm poor - but I'll have years of entertainment. Not to mention lots of gifts for the next 3 years of aunthood!

mshmom
02-29-2008, 10:00 PM
I am curious about the critter book. Did it look good? I was toying with getting it as well.

My croc has eyes now, and he is looking at my kids... they all want one! (which is an improvement after I got half way through the head and realized I forgot to knit the even rows...doh...)

mariposa
03-01-2008, 01:17 PM
I fell in love with 4 of the designs, and figured that if I bought 2 kits, it'd cost about as much as buying the whole book. So I decided to do it!

The "book" itself is actually a thin 3-ring binder. The patterns are printouts inside plastic page protectors. You can take them out and sit them next to you, or rearrange the sheets in the book so your current project is in front.

The advantage is that you can buy the patterns, but choose any yarn you want for them. The disadvantage is that it's still a lot more expensive for a single pattern than a kit would be, so it only pays off if you want to make several different critters and/or use an alternate yarn.

My experience, as a beginning knitter, is that the patterns (keeping in mind that I've only worked on the alligator so far) are straightforward and easy to understand. I had to look up a couple of basic stitches in a knitting-techniques book to clarify how to set them up, but experienced knitters shouldn't have that problem.

So! If you want a coffee table book, this isn't it; this is ONLY a set of patterns being sold as a group. On the other hand, if you like knitting fun things for kids (or playful adults), it should be a great resource for that - and I know I'm enjoying using it to learn several new stitch types (increase, decrease, etc.).

twoxover
03-04-2008, 09:38 AM
hi--

i'm very much a beginner knitter...i know how to knit and purl <grin>...but i LOVE the look of the alligator scarf. is it achievable??? or will i kill the gator? lol!

betsey

mariposa
03-04-2008, 02:40 PM
Ooh, me too, Betsey!

I think it's achievable - since that's what I knew, going in. The pattern is very specific about how to do the increases, and Morehouse included a picture for the step they use to create the eyes. I had to rip & repeat a few things (especially with the eyes), but it all made sense after a try or three, and now I'm halfway done.

Mostly the pattern involves knitting and increasing, which you get really good at after a few repeats.

twoxover
03-04-2008, 04:04 PM
thanks Mariposa! i think i'm going to order the kit....it's just way too cute!! (and, they have the gator yarn on sale as well...maybe pick up more...)

betsey

labeelady
03-04-2008, 07:32 PM
Where did you see the gator yarn on sale? Is it on their site?
I've only seen it in conjunction with the kit.

Later...
Duhh! I just found the yarn on their sale page after getting an email from them saying the sale had been extended!

labeelady
03-04-2008, 09:17 PM
Stonington, now you can order just the pattern!
Go to the pattern page at the Morehouse Farm website and you'll see it.

Stonington
03-06-2008, 08:08 AM
Stonington, now you can order just the pattern!
Go to the pattern page at the Morehouse Farm website and you'll see it.

Lageelady, thanks so much! :hug: The grands will love these :woot:
anne
sebago, me

NaloMeli
03-07-2008, 12:54 PM
Hi,
Well, I got my gator and must say I like their packaging. I wound one of the hanks and am very dismayed at the amount of "field debris" in it. As a handspinner, I know how hard it is to clean fleece well.

So, after trying it a bit, I tore it out and (gasp!) will use Red Heart. I will save the gator wool for felting. My next one will be Cascade. I love their feel and colors.

How do I insert pictures? It wants a URL, I don't have one for them.

I'm on Raverly now - NaloMeli.

Thanks!

Karina
03-07-2008, 01:35 PM
NaloMeli What I do is: Save Photo on computer and use paint to resize it so KH will accept the Photo. Then at the top of this page click POST REPLY (won't work if you click reply button after each message) type in message then click on the Paper Clip looking thing and it gives you the option to browse for a picture in your files on your computer, select file and upload. click on the paper clip again and it will show up as a little icon to the side on the screen click and insert.

I don't know if this is a long winded way of doing it, but it works for me so i am sticking with it.

NaloMeli
03-07-2008, 03:43 PM
Okay - here's the box with pattern and yarn, and what I decided to use since the lagoon, though lovely, was way too rough. Look at that little nose!!

Karina
03-07-2008, 06:51 PM
You are quick. is the red heart the same thickness as the gator yarn or are you using smaller needles. looks good so far. I do like the blue gator yarn shame it did not work out. Have to say I am not thrilled with the yarn either but somebody suggested that it might be softer once it has been washed.

mariposa
03-07-2008, 08:31 PM
Yeah - the yarn has good qualities, but I'm going to use something different next time myself. This hasn't been bad, but picking little bits out of the wool is tedious, and mine keeps untwirling/splitting. I think I'm spoiled by Karabella.

On the happy side, I'm finally halfway through the body!! Just finished winding my 2nd hank into a ball this morning. How's everyone else's project going?

labeelady
03-07-2008, 10:30 PM
I'm on the second set of increases on the main body I think. Would have to retrieve it from another room to be sure, but it's getting there.

mshmom
03-13-2008, 09:06 PM
I finished mine, I am so excited. My 7 year old loves it and wears it to school everyday. The kids on the bus all want one...

The yarn does wash up ok... it is def. softer after washing, but not as nice as you would expect given the price. Washing helped to get the rest of the VM out. (how annoying was that anyway!)

Good luck to everyone else.

labeelady
03-13-2008, 11:18 PM
Congrats! Did you get a pic yet?

mariposa
04-08-2008, 07:22 PM
...or at least starting on the tail!

This yarn is starting to grow on me, after 14 repeats of the main body. I knit on the plane while going to a conference for work. And now the end is in sight (in another 94 rows or so).

Cynamar
04-08-2008, 11:19 PM
I want to make these for my nephews for Christmas. Their bathroom is alligators.

_Lydia_
04-11-2008, 01:38 AM
Hows the scarf going along? I took a quick look at it and it looks like alot of fun. Im a new knitter, do you need to buy the kitt for this pattern?

labeelady
04-11-2008, 06:42 AM
Hows the scarf going along? I took a quick look at it and it looks like alot of fun. Im a new knitter, do you need to buy the kitt for this pattern?

No! They now sell the pattern separately if you wish to use other yarns, and for those who already have the pattern and like the yarn that comes in the kit, you can now get the yarn separately to make more gators!

mariposa
04-12-2008, 11:21 PM
And just like that ...it's finished!

Not too bad, for a new knitter's 3rd project!

Here's my "little" gator, stretched out across a bed being blocked. Thank you all for being so encouraging as we've worked on it!

InterNette
04-15-2008, 11:02 PM
I am on my second one. I made a pink one for my neice for christmas and a green one just to make it the way I though it should be done. I was extremely disappointed in the yarn that came for the cost involved, it was so scratchy and prickly, made my hands sore, so I went to my LYS and bought something nicer. I like the patterns but not the yarn. I also have rat race and a shawl pattern from them. I am unsure how to post a pic?
http://www.thedollpage.com/photopost/data/500/831CIMG0235.JPG

Cynamar
04-16-2008, 12:07 AM
Awesome! You did a great job! I want to just get the pattern and use washable wool for our boys. They have some adorable patterns there!

Karina
04-16-2008, 05:44 AM
Mariposa you alligator looks great. Well done.

InterNette Your gator is great as well, how did your niece like it.

When I bought it I could not find the pattern only so ended up ordering the yarn. cost me a fortune in postage. Am not using the yarn, don't like it.
I am using Sirdar Click DK double stranded and it is working out really well. have done two repeats on the back so far. This one will be for my 7 year old son for Christmas. I am sure I will make more. Might do it in single strand with smaller needles so it is a little smaller for my two year old daughter.

gilmour5
06-10-2008, 09:04 PM
Hello Everyone.

I bought the alligator scarf pattern and was doing really well. Until I got to the first row of binding off while still in pattern. I started with 59 stitches and are suppose to end up with 19 which is not happening it always ends being less then the 19.

the row says exactly knit 3 bind off eight tightly. then knit three which includes the stich from the last bind off. I have tried knitting the first three then binding off 8 then knitting three. Then I tried knitting three binding off eight then knitting 2. That still didn't work. I hope someone can help me I have ripped apart this row several times. This is a gift for my sisters baby who is decortating the room in alligators. please help me.

Kathy

labeelady
06-10-2008, 10:07 PM
Disregard the instructions that say "includes the stitch from last bind off". I bind off, knit 3 more, then bind off the next set, knit 3, etc. You should actually have 4 stitches between the "holes".

Cynamar
06-11-2008, 08:34 AM
I'm trying to make a bunch for Christmas so I'll join you! I bought the pattern and a ton of Wool-Ease for it.

labeelady
02-15-2009, 03:53 PM
Sorry I haven't posted anything to this thread in a while. I had my scarf done up to the main body and had to put it aside for a while, then I LOST MY PATTERN!

However, I now have another copy that I ordered from Morehouse Farms along with more yarn to make two purple gators. The one in progress is green and I can now finish it!