PDA

View Full Version : Kind of annoyed with KnitPicks

Jessica Cobb
02-13-2008, 09:03 AM
I placed an order on 2/6 with KnitPicks, and it shipped on 2/8 which is great! So I check the tracking maybe once a day, and everything looked perfect. It arrived at the sortation center next to my little city, so I got excited thinking it would be here in the next couple of days. WRONG. All the sudden it decides to keep on going, to a city that is two hours away! And the latest update is "Shipment Accepted" which leads me to believe someone else is enjoying my stuff. I was so excited about getting this as soon as I could because still feeling like a big newbie after two years of knitting, I bought my first skein of really nice sock yarn the other day, and went to KnitPicks to buy the ball winder/dpns to make my new pair of socks, but it looks like that isn't happening anytime soon. So I called KnitPicks customer service which has been great in the past, and all I got was "Call back on the 22nd". Whyyyy? :cry:

KnitTwit
02-13-2008, 09:11 AM
Well that doesn't make any sense! I would call back and ask for a supervisor and let him/her know that someone else has your paid for items according to THEIR tracking info. Luckily, (knock on wood) I haven't had any problems with their shipping.

I know how frustrated and unhappy you must be. Here's a group hug. :grphug:

bethany
02-13-2008, 09:35 AM
I'd call that sort station! Tell them your tracking info and that you saw it was delivered elsewhere and see what's up!

Jaxhil
02-13-2008, 09:39 AM
Oh no!!!! That DOES stink! I would be frustrated and upset too!

I agree, keep calling until you get someone who can straighten it out. I mean I would be nice (at least I'd TRY, lol) but firm-you paid for these items, and someone else has them. I guess it was mis-labeled? Who knows, but I wouldn't give up till you find out what happened and get it resolved with them sending it out to you again, ASAP.

Good luck!! :hug:

quiltbugj
02-13-2008, 10:50 AM
That once happened to me, not with KP, it turned out that the tracking number had been used before and was giving the information from the previous use of the number.

Abbily
02-13-2008, 10:58 AM
I actually just checked my tracking info for the package I ordered from knitpicks several days ago (also a ball winder and dpns!) and it says the same thing- "shipment accepted". However, I noticed that earlier in the list, it says something about USPS being notified... I think the use a carrier that gets the package to the right region and then hands it over to the regular post office for delivery, and that it's the post office that has accepted shipment. I have no idea why they would send it to a town 2 hours away from you, though...

Silver
02-13-2008, 10:59 AM
"Shipment accepted" does not mean it was delivered, it means it was accepted at a post office or sorting facility. It will say "Delivered" when it is.

It's not a problem yet. They said to call back after the 22nd because she shipping will take 5 to 10 business days, which would be the 22nd.

Plantgoddess+
02-13-2008, 11:13 AM
I had a problem with a delivery from KP in Jan. I in no way blame KP, it was a post office problem. My order was shipped 1/4 and made it to the sorting station on 1/10 and from there disappeared off the radar. On the 14th day from shipment I called KP and they reshipped my order on the 20th. I received both orders on the 28th. I just shipped back the extra order last weekend after getting the authorization paperwork. I did keep the extra yarn from the 2nd order at an additional 20% discount as offered by the person I spoke to at KP.
I found KP to be very responsive and love my Harmony interchangeables as well as the KP palette yarn I ordered. I dropped the other socks I was working on to cast on with the Palette and start a new pair.

KnitTwit
02-13-2008, 11:20 AM
Carey, I once ordered a sweater for my BIL and it ended up in Montana. I guess the US Post Office doesn't know that MO is for Missouri not Montana. :roflhard:

Personally, I would call them again just to get some clarification and ease your mind about where your "stuff" is.

Sanibelle
02-13-2008, 11:21 AM
I just wish they would ship my order.... it had been over 6 weeks and it still says pending....

marlajap
02-13-2008, 11:35 AM
Knitpicks uses a FedEx service called Smart Post - I have a shipment coming from them, too, so I did a little research on what this is. Fed Ex says it's supposed to save both time and vendor money on shipping, but it seems like it only saves the vendor money, not time. What happens is Fed Ex ships the package out your local area through several "sortation centers" placed strategically throughout the country. When the package gets to the center nearest your home, it is then handed off to the USPS to move to your nearest major post office and then to your local post office and to your mail carrier. I read a bunch and I do mean a bunch!! of complaints in blogs and such about this service.

I got lucky with my package, I guess, in that it didn't sit in "pending" for a long time - I placed my order last Wed or Thu night, it "shipped" on Friday, and made it to Atlanta GA by Monday night, where it was then transferred to the USPS, who will consider delivering it one of these days. I figure I should have it by next week sometime, it can't take more than a week to get a package from Atlanta to the Nashville area...I hope.

Sanibelle - I'd be calling KP and asking to speak to a manager until I got some answers on an order that's been pending for 6 weeks...especially if they've already charged your card for it!!

Plantgoddess+
02-13-2008, 11:43 AM
Knitpicks uses a FedEx service called Smart Post - I have a shipment coming from them, too, so I did a little research on what this is. Fed Ex says it's supposed to save both time and vendor money on shipping, but it seems like it only saves the vendor money, not time. What happens is Fed Ex ships the package out your local area through several "sortation centers" placed strategically throughout the country. When the package gets to the center nearest your home, it is then handed off to the USPS to move to your nearest major post office and then to your local post office and to your mail carrier. I read a bunch and I do mean a bunch!! of complaints in blogs and such about this service.

I got lucky with my package, I guess, in that it didn't sit in "pending" for a long time - I placed my order last Wed or Thu night, it "shipped" on Friday, and made it to Atlanta GA by Monday night, where it was then transferred to the USPS, who will consider delivering it one of these days. I figure I should have it by next week sometime, it can't take more than a week to get a package from Atlanta to the Nashville area...I hope.

Sanibelle - I'd be calling KP and asking to speak to a manager until I got some answers on an order that's been pending for 6 weeks...especially if they've already charged your card for it!!
I believe it. I also ordered a DVD from Overstock. It was shipped from CA. and only had to come to eastern WA. It got to the sortation center in 2 days and it took 2 weeks to go 300 miles to my house from there.

MMario
02-13-2008, 11:51 AM
direct your indignation to the correct place; the shipper, not knitpicks. Once it has shipped from knitpicks it is the carrier (probably the US Postal Service) that is causing the problems.

Pagan Princess
02-13-2008, 12:56 PM
I don't like how they don't ship to the U.K They're more than happy to take money from a person living in the U.K though

MMario
02-13-2008, 01:07 PM
shipping outside of the US can be a major PITA thanks to various regulations. Many US based mail order companies will not ship to Hawaii, Alaska or other non-contigous US terratories, let alone "foreign"

Maddison
02-13-2008, 02:07 PM
I had a KP order that was supposed to arrive. It didn't. I checked the tracking number again and I ended up calling the shipping co. because it said resent to sorting due to incorrect address (it was totally right!). They told me it was being sent back to KP. I called KP and they shipped a replacement order to my home instead. The order arrived almost the next day. I got back to work and my original order had arrived. KP sent me a return shipping slip and it was great. No problems at all. KP really has great customer service!!!!

Limey
02-13-2008, 03:14 PM
shipping outside of the US can be a major PITA thanks to various regulations. Many US based mail order companies will not ship to Hawaii, Alaska or other non-contigous US terratories, let alone "foreign"

I say! Steady on old fruit! Fancy, calling Brits 'foreign'! Never heard the like of it!:teehee:

I shouldn't say this but 'touch wood' I've never head a problem mailing packages from the UK to the US. I've been amazed at how fast mail can be delivered it - it took all of four days once, from northern England to CA.

I also agree with you, Pagan, - if companies accept money from overseas customers, then they should be willing to ship overseas.

They expect you to purchase items, arrange for them to be posted to a friend or relative in the US and then get the friend or family to mail it on to the UK. That way, if anything goes pear-shaped, you and your friend have lost out - not them.

Stuff that for a game of soldiers!

Debkcs
02-13-2008, 04:32 PM
Personally, I think KnitPicks is wonderful, it's the P.O. that sucks.

My neighbor works for them, and always uses UPS to ship packages,FedEx for his home based business.

AnnArrogance
02-14-2008, 12:35 AM
"Shipment accepted" does not mean it was delivered, it means it was accepted at a post office or sorting facility. It will say "Delivered" when it is.

It's not a problem yet. They said to call back after the 22nd because she shipping will take 5 to 10 business days, which would be the 22nd.
Exactly what Silver said. The same thing happened to me the first time I ordered from them, and I started FREAKING OUT because I thought it had been delivered to the wrong person. Turns out, it just means that the shipment has been accepted by the US Postal Service from the initial carrier. Don't stress! Mine came 3 days (one of which was a Sunday) after I got the "shipment accepted" message.

Pagan Princess
02-14-2008, 01:55 AM
Thanks Limey

*tuts* foreign indeed

Limey
02-14-2008, 05:52 AM
You're more than welcome!:)

Are you a Brummy? I'm a Pie.

We also have a Taff, a Scouse, and a norf and sahf who knits elephants, plus other assorted misfits.;)

Welcome to the Forum - bet ya wondering what the hell you've got yourself into now!:??

All the Best

Ellie
(this one, not the other one)

Pagan Princess
02-14-2008, 02:31 PM
Yup I'm a Brummie.

What's a pie??

Nah it's o.k Met some nice folk here.

Hugs

Limey
02-14-2008, 04:47 PM
Yup I'm a Brummie.

What's a pie??

Nah it's o.k Met some nice folk here.

Hugs

A Pie comes from this exotic location:

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/MidContent.asp?cid=222

Tut! Brummies! :wink:

All the Best

Ellie

hocns
02-15-2008, 06:02 AM
Thanks Limey

*tuts* foreign indeed

I'm in Canada, placed an order with a company that claims to ship "anywhere", and found out that they will only accept credit cards from US banks. Needless to say, I cancelled.

gingergal4l8r
02-15-2008, 08:17 AM
I work for Canada Post. So I hear of this stuff happening all the time. Now I am assuming that US Mail is somewhat the same so I will give you what I think you should do.

First of all, You are right that you called Knitpicks as they will have the tracking number on that side as well.
1. they could have given you the wrong tracking number
2. They will contact the post office once you bug them enough too.

It is the Post Office who is responsible for the mistake, if KnitPicks gave you the correct tracking number.

I would contact your local post office, they would be able to track your number, talk to the other office and carrier.

Now, If you do not get any where with your local, phone the 1-800 XXXXXXX to get complaints line. Now, again, I am not sure on the differences, but this line is where it is at.
You will not talk to a person, but you will record your message. This message is faxed to the office of the complaint, and it HAS to be dealt with in 24 hrs with a report to higher power. In Canada, if these come in office, it is a strike against, here or there.

You should get something happening really soon.
If you have received your package (as I just read the first few post, will go back after this and read rest) this will be great reference in the future for mail ordering.

Cheers

gingergal4l8r
02-15-2008, 08:24 AM
You see I should read all post first.... hahahaha :rofl:

Silver is on the right track... not pun intended.

Check your tracking number daily to see if anything has changed, but I would wait until the 10 days is up and then continue with your tracking the post office.

Cheers...

MAmaDawn
02-15-2008, 08:46 AM
Have you heard anything?

Plantgoddess+
02-15-2008, 10:35 AM
gingergal I called the 800 number for the US Post Office when trying to find my order. I didn't find anything that would allow me to get info on my order or to file a complaint. I tried emailing and even asked for an email update on shipping and got nowhere. Last resort contacted KP and got great service.

KnittingNat
02-15-2008, 06:07 PM
I hope you'll get your package soon! And it really sucks KP don't send overseas. So i live in the Middle East, it doesn't mean i don't have knitting needs:hair:!

knittingymnast
02-15-2008, 07:12 PM
6 weeks sanibelle? gawsh....mine came in 6 DAYS

knitnewbieknitk
01-15-2009, 07:57 PM
my package has been in pending for 4 days n im worried it mite not come

suzeeq
01-15-2009, 11:03 PM
Next thing you know, you'll check and it shipped 2 days ago. The tracking sites aren't usually updated until midnight each day, so it does no good to check them repeated throughout the day.

utcarsons
01-16-2009, 10:32 AM
Seems to me that Fedex is actually the end that holds up these Smartpost packages, not the USPS. With that in mind, I DO think people should contact KnitPicks regarding shipping problems with their orders, because I frankly think they need to make a better choice for their customers. As many have stated, I think Knitpicks prides themselves on providing great customer service and choosing an expedient and reliable shipping source is part of providing great customer service. Their responsibilities dont end when the package leaves their warehouse but rather when it reaches our little hands. Perhaps, based on our experiences, they will decide to go with something a little more reliable or offer other options for those of us with issues with SmartPost or paying $11+ for 3-day shipping.

My order (after delays getting shipped because of Knitpicks holiday/weather issues) will take over 11 days shipping time to get from OH to UT. I have never had anything take that long with one exception... a fedex ground package. USPS has never taken longer than a week from Ohio (and I get a fair amount of packages from there actually).

Plantgoddess+
01-16-2009, 12:42 PM
If you want fast timely delivery don't opt for free shipping. I have paid extra when ordering online when I don't want to wait up to 2 weeks for delivery. I did that when ordering my dvd copy of Mama Mia. I could have gone for budget shipping and that could have taken several weeks, I opted to pay $2.50 extra to get my movie in 5 business days.
I still do the $50 orders from KP in order to get free shipping and I don't have unrealistic expectations on a speedy delivery. If you want free shipping and faster turn around order spring or summer when the shipping rush is less.

utcarsons
01-16-2009, 12:53 PM
Well, I think it is completely reasonable to expect an order to be delivered within 11 days of being shipped from anywhere in the US. I am not even counting the processing time here. 11 business days is JUST shipping time...and the order isnt here yet, so it could be more. And frankly, I dont consider January to be a shipping rush time period.

When I placed a subsequent order (yes Im a glutton) for $15 in yarn, 3-day shipping would have cost me an additional $11 for a total of $14 shipping. I certainly would have paid a reasonable charge for 3 day shipping after this last fiasco, but that seemed high to me.

Im just saying, if people dont voice their concerns to Knitpicks then they dont get the feedback they need to provide their customary level of customer service. And lots of places provide frees shipping with orders over $xx and it isnt always slow.