PDA

View Full Version : How do I use Stitch Holders

okietwister
02-15-2008, 01:31 PM
I am pretty new to knitting. I am knitting a baby blanket and have run out of room on my circular. Really do not want to buy longer circular. I have stitch holders but am puzzled as to the easiest way to use. Could use a little help.
Okietwister

Ingrid
02-15-2008, 01:39 PM
Stitch holders are used for when you're not going to knit those stitches for while but will pick them up later for a different section of a pattern.

If you're knitting a continuous pattern like a blanket, putting some of the stitches on a holder won't really work since those stitches will no longer be connected to the main body of the blanket. It would be in two sections.

You could, if you wanted is use two circulars as if they were two straight needles--put a rubberband or tip holder on the other ends. Even if the tips were a size off, you could knit that section with them and switch back to one size when you get to the point where you are now but at the other end, if that makes any sense.

Little Audrey
02-15-2008, 02:52 PM
Hmm, circular knitting can also be done on DP (double pointed needles) Then you need to move some of the stitches to one or more DPs of the right size, & treat them as an extension of your circular. But if you are not ready to buy a new circular, then you don't want to buy DPs. You could make yourself one DP -get a piece of dowel the right size, sharpen both ends in a pencil sharpener, sand it smooth & varnish it- lot of time & work & it will almost certainly be hard to work with.
little audrey :-(

suzeeq
02-15-2008, 02:59 PM
For that matter, you could make another circular the same size. Take two small pieces, sharpen each on one end, get some thin flexible tubing that fits on the other end (might have to whittle it down a bit, then smooth over.

mwhite
02-15-2008, 03:19 PM
Hmm, circular knitting can also be done on DP (double pointed needles) Then you need to move some of the stitches to one or more DPs of the right size, & treat them as an extension of your circular. But if you are not ready to buy a new circular, then you don't want to buy DPs. You could make yourself one DP -get a piece of dowel the right size, sharpen both ends in a pencil sharpener, sand it smooth & varnish it- lot of time & work & it will almost certainly be hard to work with.
little audrey :-(

So very smart! :thumbsup:

[QUOTE=Suzeeq]
"For that matter, you could make another circular the same size. Take two small pieces, sharpen each on one end, get some thin flexible tubing that fits on the other end (might have to whittle it down a bit, then smooth over. "

Very smart!:thumbsup: Always amazes me how y'all just jump in and help us! Thanks and :muah:

okietwister
02-15-2008, 03:27 PM
Thanks so much. Gives me some ideas. I will find something that will work.