PDA

View Full Version : I am dying to try this yarn!!!

cookworm
02-16-2008, 11:12 AM
Since I don't have a LYS nearby and have to rely on the retail yarn "trinity" (Michael's, Joann's, and Hobby Lobby), I'm limited on whatever natural fibers these stores sell.

Anyway, Michaels just had Bernat's Bamboo yarn on sale; not sure if it still is, but I WANT TO TRY THIS YARN!!!! It seems so soft! Has anybody used it yet? It's not very economical (only 63 yds./57m per ball), so I can't buy like 20 balls of it, but any ideas of a smaller project that I could make using it that would be something up against my skin? It's a bulky weight yarn; gauge is 14 sts x 20 rows = 4" on size 10 (6.0mm) needles. (crochet pattern ideas are welcome, too, if anybody comes across something)

Lisa R.
02-16-2008, 11:21 AM
scarves, gloves and hats are always good for smaller amounts of yarn!!

lactosefree
02-16-2008, 12:19 PM
Since I don't have a LYS nearby and have to rely on the retail yarn "trinity" (Michael's, Joann's, and Hobby Lobby), I'm limited on whatever natural fibers these stores sell.... Anyway, Michaels just had Bernat's Bamboo yarn on sale; not sure if it still is, but I WANT TO TRY THIS YARN!!!! It seems so soft! Has anybody used it yet?

I received 4 skeins of it from my secret santa at work. I haven't used it yet but have been wanting to make the Vegan Silk scarf (http://sapphirechild.blogspot.com/2008/01/vegan-silk-yarn-review-and-pattern.html)with it. It appealed to me so much that I'm willing to stray from a knit pattern and crochet.

Unfortunately I was given 4 of the same colors for my present - which of course normally makes sense, but in this case I need 2 different colors.

The funny thing is that I have the opposite problem from you! I live in SF and there are tons of LYS around, but you need to leave the city to find a commercial craft store. The closest ones to me are Beverly's and Jo-Ann's but I went to both of them and found out that they don't care the Bernat Bamboo! I found out that Michael's carries it, but you have to cross the Bay Bridge to get to it! - It's really not THAT far, but what a pain in the bum.

I also have a co-worker who used this yarn to make the Irish Hiking Scarf (http://www.helloyarn.com/irishhikingcarf.htm). It's super soft and holds the cables well. She said it was a bit fluffy at first, but turned out great after it was washed.

If you're on ravelry, they have lots of projects listed for this yarn as well. That's where I found the Vegan Silk Scarf pattern.