PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite newly learned technique?

MerigoldinWA
02-16-2008, 11:33 PM
I have been knitting a long time, but since discovering internet knitting :lol: I have learned so much. I am amazed that I can learn something new about knitting almost every day.

I recently learned a sewn cast off. I think I read this is a EZ idea. (That wouldn't surprise me, she was a knitting genius.) Whoever had the idea, it is great. I like to make shoulder down sleeves and on the edge of the new fingerless mitts you need to bind off. This sewn bind off makes a nice edge and looks more finished than a regular BO when it is not going to be be hidden in a seam. :muah:

Just today I learned how to make a row of bobbles all at once without doing each separately and doing all that turning. Amazing!!

What is your recent favorite?

WildMountainHoney
02-16-2008, 11:45 PM
Latvian Twist edge. EASY and purty too! :inlove:

fibrenut
02-16-2008, 11:52 PM
I discovered a new way of making cables without needles or rearraging stitches (video coming soon)!!! And I don't turn on bobble either, I just knit backwards instead.

NegativeClock
02-17-2008, 12:07 AM
Doing cables is definitely my favorite newly-learned technique. :D

dreamsherl
02-17-2008, 01:32 AM
Weaving in ends with a crochet hook.

lactosefree
02-17-2008, 02:22 AM
Double knitting! :)

Also, a very kind lady at the LYS I went to today showed me how to effectively hold the yarn when knitting continental and english at the same time.

Pagan Princess
02-17-2008, 03:00 AM
long tailed cast on

Debkcs
02-17-2008, 03:50 AM
The last thing I learned, not too long ago, was how to make entrelac socks. Haven't done it yet, but soon.

I'd love to see how you do cables without rearranging the stitches!

Knitting_Guy
02-17-2008, 09:25 AM
I'm a fan of the sewn BO too and use it a lot. My favorite more or less newly learned technique is using two circs for small diameter knitting in the round. Very handy.

GiddyKnitter
02-17-2008, 10:53 AM
I have just knitted my first I-cord x

Eekee
02-17-2008, 01:34 PM
I just learned to do toe-up socks last week. Very cool.

The.Knitter
02-17-2008, 01:53 PM
A few weeks ago I learned how to knit in the round and I have been in sock heaven (or hell depending how you look at it) ever since.

I agree. Since I became an "internet knitter", the quality of my knitting has improved dramatically as well and the quantity of my knitting increasing.

I love the motivation KH'ers inspire in me! I challenge myself more and more all the time now and I am not nervous to do so. I know there is always someone out there in KH Land to help me out of a bind if I mess up!

I'm loving internet knitting!

MerigoldinWA
02-17-2008, 01:54 PM
Thanks for all the input. Many of the things you've mentioned I've tried or use regularly. The Latvian twist edge was totally new to me and I had to look it up and give it a try. Hubbie and I both were intrigued with that, him so much that he has actually taken up his needles to try it out. Lol

Knitting is an amazing hobby. Probably 20-25, or maybe more years ago, the lady who owned the LYS here (a tiny town with a yarn shop in the owner's house) was showing me something, and I asked her, "So, Verla, how long did it take you to learn everything about knitting?". This was said hopefully, with the idea that I could learn everything too and be a guru like her. She made one of her well known facial expressions and said, "I don't know everything about knitting." Boy was I surprised and deflated. LOL I don't think anyone knows everything about knitting. That is one thing that makes it so fasinating.

sue in canada
02-17-2008, 02:03 PM
I agree with TheKnitter. There is so much inspiration on KH and I think I can learn and pick up new tips everyday. Although I have knitted on and off for years, I have never been too adventurous. Last year I started knitting socks and soon got used to dpns. Maybe I will be brave and try ML soon.

angel4ever
02-17-2008, 02:32 PM
I just recently learned how to crochet (just single & double crochet; exprimenting with other stitches). I am also in the process of learning how to do the short row scarf (it's also called reversing triangles). So far I am enjoying it!

gamerchik
02-17-2008, 03:30 PM
Binding off with a crochet hook. This technique is so simple, but my bound off edges are always the perfect tension now and look perfectly even! :D

Plantgoddess+
02-17-2008, 05:50 PM
Sweater shaping. I had never done darts or short rows to make a more fitted sweater.

CognizantAmiga
02-17-2008, 06:08 PM
What a great thread! I love the brided cast on!! My newest feat (lame compared to ya'lls stuff) is knitting in the round. Working on a hat. Thanks for all the suggestions!

auburnchick
02-17-2008, 10:50 PM
I just learned entrelac. I made a garterlac dishcloth. What a neat technique.

DQ
02-18-2008, 06:37 AM
Mosaic/slip-stitch knitting and toe up socks :mrgreen:

AnnArrogance
02-18-2008, 02:49 PM
I just learned how to do Magic Loop (thanks to the helpful video here!), and I LOVE it! I've made 3 iPod cases already with it (although I frogged one of them when I ran out of yarn for the third one). It really gets rid of any laddering issues and it's so much easier to handle than DPNs. Next step--socks on Magic Loop! Both 1 and 2 at a time! :cheering:

ArtLady1981
02-18-2008, 03:08 PM
Dare I admit this without sounding like I'm a liar!!?? :teehee:

My newly learned technique is "crocheted provisional cast-on"!

And, I have yet to master "grafting" and "Kitchener". I've been told they are one and the same thing...but I'm not sure about that either!:aww:

GinnyG
02-18-2008, 03:17 PM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering:
I am MAJORLY excited about my new "skill" !!
Last week someone posted the link to a Cable Jacket, covered in twisty cables. And Artlady has done some beeeeautiful cables over the last months. I COVET THEM:oops:

After the holidays I made my daughter the Central Park Hoodies and got pretty cocky over my ability to do a simple cable.

SOOOOOOOOOOOO, I printed off the Cable Jacket pattern and isolated the twisty turney cable pattern and this weekend I finished about 18 inches of a scarf using the twisty turney cable pattern.

I am in LOVE:heart: :heart: :heart: Visions of Aran sweaters are now RACING through my head. It really isn't hard at all if you can come up with a good way of keeping track of your pattern.

Pics to follow when my lovely scarf is done.

MerigoldinWA
02-18-2008, 05:16 PM
Wow, this thread has been great. Everyone is learning something new and exciting. Keep it up. I love the sharing and inspiration.