PDA

View Full Version : The wrath of a kitty.

SabrinaJL
02-17-2008, 03:00 AM
So I've been knitting almost 2 years. My cats have almost always left my yarn alone. There was one time when I first started and I bought my first ball of alpaca that it got messed with, but after that, nothing.

My cat usually sleeps on the bed with us, but the other night, I decided to lock him out of the bedroom so he wasn't bothering me. Our daughter has been sleeping with us and the bed is crowded as it is.

The next morning I woke up to toys all over the place and 3 balls of yarn dragged out. Do you think he messed with the crappy acrylic that I had 2 skeins of on the living room floor and one on the laundry room desk? Nope. He gets on a shelf and digs into a bag to pull out a ball of Malabrigo and 2 balls of Baby Twist, one of which he tears out all over the place.

So does anyone have any tips for repairing this...

Pagan Princess
02-17-2008, 03:03 AM
Pick it out bit by bit and wind it up again.

Debkcs
02-17-2008, 03:47 AM
Or, if you don't want to 'bother' with it, I'll be happy to take it off your hands! :happydance: ;)

hocns
02-17-2008, 08:56 AM
That is sad. But at least you've got a cat with good taste.

rosefields
02-17-2008, 09:15 AM
That is sad. But at least you've got a cat with good taste.
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

GiddyKnitter
02-17-2008, 10:57 AM
I am sorry to be laughing but you can just imagine all the fun your little kitty had while you were fast asleep...and he is saying "Thats for locking me out of the bedroom" Hope you manage to salvage your yarn x

sue in canada
02-17-2008, 11:40 AM
I guess someone was a little unhappy to be shut out of the bedroom. Hope you manage to salvage the yarn.

figaro
02-17-2008, 12:51 PM
Patience, a lot of patience.

Wanda Witch
02-17-2008, 03:00 PM
Your kitty thought, I am certain, don't get mad, get even!! I hope you can salvage the yarn.....

snowbear
02-17-2008, 03:16 PM
start with a glass of wine, or other such beverage. Take it easy, slow, and do not get in a hurry.

Remember, Put the "good" yarn where kitty's can't get to them. I speak with experience. I love my kitty, but she does have a temper at times if i ignore her.

Good luck, and remember take it slow!

jdee
02-17-2008, 08:58 PM
:roflhard: It looks like they showed you. The only advice I can give you is to relax with a movie, or some music, and just untangle it little by little. It's actually relaxing when there aren't any interruptions.

vaknitter
02-17-2008, 11:14 PM
I'm sorry to say my puppy has done this to me on more than 3 occassions - turns out she can open bedroom doors !! Anyway - the last was a 500yrd skein of wonderful sock yarn. Put it in a ziploc bag and very slowly pick it apart and wind it into a ball. My patience is pretty low for such things so mine took me a few days.

Knit4Fun
02-17-2008, 11:30 PM
Not sure if this is any consolation or not, but here goes...

Although I don't keep my yarn out at all (my cats get into literally EVERYTHING), I was looking for something special to make with a lovely skein of Patons wool I had - and I found a purse pattern I'd been wanting to make, so I combined that wool with two skeins of variegated mohair I found at Tuesday Morning. These two skeins had no ball band and they were the only ones in the store, but for the price I paid for them (under $2.50 each), I was thrilled.

Well, I got three-quarters of the way done with the purse (which I am knitting for my college roommate who is a dear friend) when I looked down...and saw that the wool and both mohair balls were completely entangled. I still don't understand how it happened since I was trying to keep them separate and trying to keep kitty participation down in this yarn-fest...but suffice it to say, it took me THREE hours of handpicking it all apart to get it all fixed.

Those who know me know I am not the most patient person ever, so I wondered if this was an exercise in patience or if my determination to finish this project for a gift won out. Either way, it had a happy ending...I am blocking the purse overnight and finishing it up tomorrow to be sent out! :-)

So keep smiling... :muah:

knittingymnast
02-18-2008, 11:42 AM
That is sad. But at least you've got a cat with good taste.:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

:chair: :chair: :chair: :chair:

knittingymnast
02-18-2008, 11:44 AM
That is sad. But at least you've got a cat with good taste.:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard::chair: :chair: :chair: :chair:

im just repeating what you said rosefields, sorry! i would want to MMMM if you dont want it.......

SabrinaJL
02-19-2008, 07:59 PM
The cat having good taste is small comfort when my soft, lovely yarn is a big wad of mess. He's sooo lucky I love him. :teehee:

Thanks for all the tips. I haven't even started on it yet though. Just stuffed it in a closet until I feel that I have enough patience to attempt to fix it.

Here's a pic of the rotten little fiend that did it.

cristeen
02-19-2008, 08:55 PM
Luckily I haven't had any kittyhelp, but I've managed to make a mess myself. It took me about 4 hours to rewind the hank. I completely agree with the recommendation to get a glass of wine, make yourself comfortable in front of a movie and take it slow. When you start to get frustrated, put it aside in a safe place, get another drink and leave it until you can calm down a bit.

cindycactus
02-19-2008, 09:51 PM
Aah! That innocent looking pretty cat couldn't have done all that.:roflhard: What beautiful green eyes. The silver coat shows them off wonderfully.

snowbear
02-19-2008, 10:45 PM
beautiful kitty... but very onery... cats can be deceivious... sorry... huggs.

lelvsdgs
02-20-2008, 01:12 AM
The cat having good taste is small comfort when my soft, lovely yarn is a big wad of mess. He's sooo lucky I love him. :teehee:

Thanks for all the tips. I haven't even started on it yet though. Just stuffed it in a closet until I feel that I have enough patience to attempt to fix it.

Here's a pic of the rotten little fiend that did it.

He's saying "Who me???"

PurlyGyrl
02-20-2008, 04:39 PM
That innocent little face!

Lisa_H-Town
02-20-2008, 05:04 PM
I once spent about 6 hours untangling a ball - wad - of yarn (guess I am not very good?), but I did it to myself also... and just would agree with the others, patience, good movie, and adult beverage of your choice!

Your cat is absolutely beautiful.... so has he gotten bedroom privileges back?

SabrinaJL
02-20-2008, 06:56 PM
Yeah, he's back in. I was worried about what kind of shenanigans he'd get up to if I locked him out again.

Mulderknitter
02-20-2008, 07:17 PM
Sorry about the yarn, but really, think of the fact that he had SOOOOOO MUCH FUN!:roflhard: I have sacrificed yarn to the kitty demons that own me, and while it is not fun for me, it is for them.

GiddyKnitter
02-21-2008, 08:49 AM
What a beautiful kitty but you have to admit he does have a mischievous look about him.....
And he is very clever his antics got him back into the bedroom he he he

Lisa_H-Town
02-21-2008, 11:16 AM
Yeah, he's back in. I was worried about what kind of shenanigans he'd get up to if I locked him out again.
Yup... as Pauline said as well: his plan worked.... see how smart our kitties are???;)

bets
02-21-2008, 03:19 PM
My daughters 2 cats recently got into a box of 24 hot pink feathers boas while she was at work. There were feathers on all three levels of her condo - everywhere. I just wish there had been a video....

Lucy78green
02-21-2008, 04:33 PM
My cat gets the "midnight madness" when his eyes go all black and he wanders about the house looking for mischief to get into. Think it's because cats are nocturnal but mine is too chicken to go outside in case another cat beats him up. So he breaks teapots, pushes things on the floor, climbs up furniture, eats house-plants etc. instead! Have woken up in the morning to find balls of wool chewed up or tangled even when I think I've put them out of his reach.

jdee
02-21-2008, 08:14 PM
Does your cat ever try to wake you up in the morining, then when you don't get up, start doing everything annoying that he's not supposed to do? Mine have discovered that if they starts doing irritating things, I'll get up to stop him, then I can't go back to sleep.

Mulderknitter
02-21-2008, 08:39 PM
Does your cat ever try to wake you up in the morining, then when you don't get up, start doing everything annoying that he's not supposed to do? Mine have discovered that if they starts doing irritating things, I'll get up to stop him, then I can't go back to sleep.
If I don't get up when he wants me to, Mulder will get on the dresser and start knocking/throwing stuff off. He has figured out which stuff is the noisiest to get me up!

Mulderknitter
02-21-2008, 08:41 PM
My cat gets the "midnight madness" when his eyes go all black and he wanders about the house looking for mischief to get into. Think it's because cats are nocturnal but mine is too chicken to go outside in case another cat beats him up. So he breaks teapots, pushes things on the floor, climbs up furniture, eats house-plants etc. instead! Have woken up in the morning to find balls of wool chewed up or tangled even when I think I've put them out of his reach.
Itchy has a facination with throwing things on the floor. Anything that he can move from something to the floor, he knocks it off. It drives me crazy. Our new game is to see what is too heavy for him to knock to the floor and how he will do it anyway!

hocns
02-22-2008, 07:21 AM
I have multiple cats, and luckily only the youngest seems to have any interest in yarn, and then only if it's moving. The others are all too lazy.

Banrion
02-22-2008, 08:38 AM
My adult cat is my alarm clock. She is very good about getting me up for work, even if my real alarm clock isn't working. She sits up on the top of my pillow, and starts purring in my ear, and nudging my head. If I am being lazy and don't get up right away she will start biting my cheeks until I do.

My kitten is a screamer. She loves to talk, and her favorite place to sleep is between my and SO's head at night, but then she wakes up in the middle of the night and just starts talking for no reason whatsoever and ends up waking us both up.

lelvsdgs
02-22-2008, 03:48 PM
I have 2 cats and when they want me to get up, they will walk up and down on me talking the whole time. When that doesn't work they will sit on my shoulder ( I sleep on my side) and tap my face. It that doesn't work, the claws come out and the tap gets a little more aggressive... It works, I ususally get up at the tapping phase...

SabrinaJL
02-22-2008, 04:58 PM
I have a cat that pats me on the leg when he wants canned food. If I ignore him, he'll use claws. If I KEEP ignoring him, he'll stand up on his hind legs and claw my side. Brat.

Lucy78green
02-22-2008, 05:43 PM
my cat used to bite to get food on demand, and he wouldn't go out so he ended up being obese, we ended up putting him on a strict diet but he still bites when he reckons he should be fed. Also banned from the bedroom for toe biting, being annoying and shoving things on the floor. He's currently annoying me for more food even though he's eaten all his quota for the day