PDA

View Full Version : New and confused!

Gina V
02-18-2008, 02:55 PM
Hello knitters! :knitting:
I am new to your forum and I am new to knitting! I started a class 2 weeks ago as I was inspired by my friend Jan (Jan in CA) who's knitting I have been admiring since she started! My mom and sister are both great knitters too but I just never got into it until now. I think I am secretly hoping for grandchildren and want to be prepared! :)

Also, because I live in Ottawa, Canada, I needed something to help me get through February (the worst month of the year!). I am pretty crafty so I hope I can "master" this craft too! There are so many wonderful patterns!

Right now I am just trying to learn how to hold the needles and the yarn. Jan has given me a few links to check out so hopefully I won't feel all thumbs that much longer!

After a couple more swatches and a dishcloth, our first project for class is a baby sweater. I have to shop for yarn but not sure what to buy. Anything that's soft and pretty?

Looking forward to hanging out with all of you!

~Gina

sue in canada
02-18-2008, 02:59 PM
Hi and welcome to KH and the world of knitting. You have certainly come to the right place for inspiration and help

babsnelson
02-18-2008, 03:05 PM
Soft, pretty and WASHABLE!!!! I recently made a baby cardigan out of Bernat's Softee Baby. Very cheap yarn, but soft, washable, and easy to work with. One skein made a cardigan, a pair of Mary-Jane booties and I might still have enough for a hat. Good luck with knitting - it sure does help with the winter blues!

Jan in CA
02-18-2008, 03:08 PM
Gina!! :yay: Welcome to KH! I'm sure you'll learn a lot and have a good time here! :hug:

Yes, soft and washable is good for babies. You remember how they have to be changed 20 times a day.:teehee: Your teacher should tell you what weight yarn she wants you to buy. If she says baby yarn then something like Bernat Softee Baby is a good one. Lots of pretty colors and so soft!

knitgal
02-18-2008, 03:51 PM
Just want to say welcome to a fellow Canadian!

knit2btied
02-18-2008, 06:32 PM
Hey welcome aboard and happy knitting!

Knitting_Guy
02-18-2008, 06:42 PM
Welcome!

Soft, pretty, washable, and the correct weight for the project's pattern.

You'll get the hang of it. If a big dummy like me can knit (badly) anyone can!

dustinac
02-18-2008, 08:57 PM
:woot: Welcome to KH, Gina!! :woot:

suzeeq
02-18-2008, 10:31 PM
Caron Simply Soft is nice for a baby sweater, and very soft! Other yarns called `baby' anything will be too.

gingergal4l8r
02-18-2008, 10:36 PM
From one CANUCK to another :happydance:

:cheering::cheering::cheering:WELCOME!!!!! :cheering::cheering::cheering:

This is the best :grphug: group EVER!

Shandeh
02-18-2008, 11:46 PM
Welcome to the wonderful world of knitting!
:muah:

Gina V
02-19-2008, 08:37 AM
Thanks everyone! Nice to feel so welcome! Hello to my fellow canucks ... and Mason ... a male perspective is always a nice addition to a group! Thanks to those who gave me yarn suggestions. I never thought to look for something that says "baby" on it .... honestly, I have never been yarn shopping .... yet!!!

gingerbread
02-19-2008, 09:20 AM
Welcome to KH Gina enjoy not having the winter blues. I can say this is the best place on earth to learn anything. Have fun and welcome here again. :waving: