PDA

View Full Version : Cast on with corchet hook

psquidy
02-18-2008, 03:18 PM
Hi everyone,
I saw someone on a knitting television show us a cast on that was done with a crochet hook. i've used this cast on with waste yarn before to perform a provisional cast on but she was continuing on with the same yarn and using it for her actual cast on. I was wondering if anyone knows what the benefit of this cast on is? When would you choose to use it?:cheering:
Thanks

Becky Morgan
02-18-2008, 03:23 PM
There are several ways to do it. If you use a chainless foundation row, then pick up the loose loops, you get a beautiful non-rolling braided-looking edge, nice for a sweater where you don't want to bother with ribbing. If you just crochet a chain and pick up the loops, that'll do if you despise other ways of casting on. You can also begin with a row of afghan stitch and knit from there. That's especially good for crocheters who are learning to knit. It just depends on the knitter and the project.

suzeeq
02-18-2008, 03:30 PM
You can also crochet the chain onto your knitting needle.

psquidy
02-19-2008, 10:59 AM
Suzeeq-that's what I was talking about. I know how to do this cast on but my question was more or less why would you use this method instead of another? And what are it's benefits.

suzeeq
02-19-2008, 11:26 AM
The edge is more like the standard bind off edge, I believe.

feministmama
02-19-2008, 12:24 PM
You can also crochet the chain onto your knitting needle.

How do you do that? :??