PDA

View Full Version : SOCK YARN!!!

lcbaer
02-20-2008, 02:44 PM
Hi everyone!

I'm going to be casting on my very first pair of socks soon and i'm looking for a nice yarn to buy. The pattern i'm using calls for a worsted weight yarn knit on size 5 needles. I thought that would be nice for my first pair and a little easier than using a fingering or something. ANYWAY... i'm looking for a yarn that is washable, somewhat elastic but won't stretch out too much and striping... oh and it should be comfy and soft too. Does anyone know where i can find such a yarn? what brands make this?

Thanks everyone!!

-Luke

Sunshine's Mom
02-20-2008, 03:25 PM
Try Caron Simply Soft. Huge array of colors, very soft, 100% acrylic so it's washable, but works very smoothly. I'm currently using it for knee socks in cranberry. Gaw-Juss!

PCwombat
02-20-2008, 04:49 PM
I'm just adding a note that if you use Caron SS, make sure the sock fits you well. I used it for my first pair of socks, and while they fit okay, there's no elasticity, so they do get baggy.

Ellieblue
02-20-2008, 05:14 PM
I would try KP swish superwash. It doesn't stripe but it is very soft.

Mulderknitter
02-20-2008, 07:20 PM
I am currently using sportweight, which is thicker than sockweight but thinner than worsted. I have used worsted for socks though, just go with whatever you like. Just remember cotton has no elasticity. And my first sock was a wonder of horribleness, so I used cheap yarn on that one in anticipation:roflhard:

knittingymnast
02-20-2008, 07:29 PM
Do you want Worsted Weight or Sock Yarn?
MY fave sock yarn is Marks and Kattens Clown Sock Yarn in colorway 1722. It's self striping and it's really GAW-JUS! Here's some sock patterns too! http://www.cometosilver.com/socks

jdee
02-20-2008, 07:54 PM
I made my first pair of socks with worsted weight woolease, from Lion Brand.

fibrenut
02-20-2008, 08:46 PM
You could try lionbrands simple (or simply, can't remember) stripes. It's a self-stiping worsted weight acrylic yarn.

lcbaer
02-21-2008, 09:50 AM
Thanks everyone!! Those are all great suggestions.

quirky
02-21-2008, 10:01 AM
Just my personal opinion - I really hate acrylic yarn for socks. Synthetics don't absorb moisture and my feet end up smelling yuck by the end of the day.
For a worsted weight that is not too expensive I would try Lion Brand Wool. It will soften in the wash. Wool is also more elastic than acrylic and will make knitting your socks easier!

Sunshine's Mom
02-21-2008, 11:04 AM
Just make sure if you use wool that it's superwash so you can launder them (no handwashing). My mom wanted wool socks. I made her wool socks. She accidently washed and dried them and they felted. She gave them to the Salvation Army.

Debkcs
02-21-2008, 12:27 PM
Just my personal opinion - I really hate acrylic yarn for socks. Synthetics don't absorb moisture and my feet end up smelling yuck by the end of the day.

I agree 100%, if you don't want to use wool, go for

http://www.jimmybeanswool.com/secure-html/onlinegen/currgen/SouthWestTradingCompany/Tofutsies.asp

or maybe an acrylic wool mix. Tofutsies has sixteen beautiful colorways, and the pair of socks I made had wonderful striping. There is also a corn yarn out there, but I haven't tried it yet, and don't know if I will with Malabrigo coming out with a sock yarn.