PDA

View Full Version : Good Yarn for Sweater?

stacyk9
02-21-2008, 05:11 PM
I am thinking of trying the Anniversary Sweater pattern for my DH as a Christmas present, yes, I'm thinking of Christmas already because that's probably how long it will take me. Anyway, I'm wondering what yarns you all have used for sweaters that you have really liked, i.e. texture, softness, holds shape, holds up through wash, etc.
Thanks!

nonny2t
02-21-2008, 05:21 PM
Bernat Satin is a lovely inexpensive yarn. Nice colors and very soft. Washable too.

Knitpicks Swish worsted is a soft merino wool yarn that is washable and has great "men" colors. I have also used the Andean Silk from Knitpicks and it is a lovely handwash yarn with really nice softness.

All these yarns are good inexpensive yarns that hold up well.

Jan in CA
02-21-2008, 11:26 PM
Kind of depends on your budget, allergies, etc.

kellee0302
02-22-2008, 09:21 AM
I have used caron simply soft for a sweater for my son but I used Lion brand wool ease for the sweater I made for my husband. He wore that sweater when we were married.

Sarahc409
02-22-2008, 11:07 AM
I think it will all depend on what your hubby will like. I asked mine and he wants cotton. Now, even though cotton is probably cheap, I don't know about the stretching and stuff. So I am holding off until he changes his mind. I am hoping to use merino wool, something that can be washed and dried.

HollyP
02-22-2008, 11:52 AM
Sarahc you might want to look at cotton ease by Lion Brand it is a cotton acrylic blend. I made a sweater for my Mom out of it and haven't had any problem with it stretching. It's nice to work with and washable.

suzeeq
02-22-2008, 11:59 AM
Yes, cottonease it nice to work with and doesn't stretch out of shape.