PDA

View Full Version : A very short attention span *sigh*

knit-n-spin
02-21-2008, 10:35 PM
I do love to spin. After 20 years of sitting in the storage shed, my spinning is sitting happily in my living room now. Minor repairs, dusted off, and working nicely.

I bought a drop spindle .. then decided to get out the wheel.

But I have a problem, and I hope someone will have some suggestions.

I have a definitely "short attention span" ... Yikes!

Children all grown, with their own families, grandchildren etc... so I have the time, and I do find spinning relaxing, but at the same time a little back-breaking. Hope my *senior body* gets used to it and the pains are just temporary.

I crochet some and knit some, but can only stick with it long enough to finish very quick things... a small scarf (not a long one! *LOL*)

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks ~ Glo :knitting:

cristeen
02-22-2008, 02:44 AM
My suggestion would be to do it while you're doing something else. Watching TV, listening to an audiobook, chatting on the phone (with a headset), have a coffee klatsch, etc. So that your entire attention is not focused on what your hands are doing. Obviously not recommended if you're knitting intricate lace, but for most spinning, crocheting or knitting, splitting your attention a bit can keep either activity from becoming boring.

I keep a garter stitch knitting project next to the TV. Anytime I sit down to watch TV, I pick up the knitting and do that at the same time. I won't win any speed contests, but my bathmat is slowly taking shape.

I rarely just sit and knit or crochet. I always have something else going on, or I get bored.

knit-n-spin
02-23-2008, 11:26 AM
Thank you Christeen ... very good suggestions.
I'm making some small squares out of my homespun
yarn.

I haven't read back posts, so I apologize if this is
a silly question: but do you spin?

If so, do you find that spinning fine yarn is more
tedious? And have you found a way to stay consistant
with the thickness of your yarn?

I seem to spin thin then thick... Ummmmm? More practice.
:aww: ~ Glo

cristeen
02-23-2008, 06:28 PM
I don't spin, I'm afraid. I would love to learn, but it's not in the cards right now. Someday when I have my own sheep, though...

My DH did just encourage me to buy another loom, though. I had to get rid of my floor loom when I moved in with him 5 years ago, and we walked into my LYS last week and they had an antique table loom for sale in the front window. Since I have some hand-dye on consignment there I asked her to hold it for me until I have enough consignment $ to buy it. :)

hocns
02-24-2008, 10:42 AM
I don't spin, I'm afraid. I would love to learn, but it's not in the cards right now. Someday when I have my own sheep, though...

My DH did just encourage me to buy another loom, though. I had to get rid of my floor loom when I moved in with him 5 years ago, and we walked into my LYS last week and they had an antique table loom for sale in the front window. Since I have some hand-dye on consignment there I asked her to hold it for me until I have enough consignment $ to buy it. :)

I have an antique table loom, and it nearly drove me insane. I have, ahem, several other looms as well as a modern table loom even though I don't weave much. But the modern loom is much easier to work with.

knit-n-spin
02-27-2008, 12:00 PM
Still spinning, and trying to find small projects that only take
a short time to knit.

I do not weave, but love handwoven items... and I think
it must take so much patience and perseverance. I used
to dream of having a loom. But I think I'd better stick
to these small spinning / knitting projects. ~ Glo

Jeremy
02-27-2008, 12:45 PM
Socks! Socks are great because you can pick them up and put them down having knit on them a short time. They can be very simple to knit or have very ornate patterns. You can also knit with really nice yarn and still not break the bank.

I'm a begining spinner and don't get to spin nearly as much as I like. I do find that preparing the roving helps a lot. I have been experimenting with spinning from the fold lately and have found that it really helps with my consistency.

Pink Dandelion
03-03-2008, 10:01 PM
I find practice is the biggest help with consistency... and spinning fine yarns can be more tedious to spinning thicker yarns since a finer yarn requires more twist and the wool moves slower, but I prefer knitting with fine, so I put up with it.

Also, while you often want to choose what thickness you want it to be spun up at, there's often a particular weight that a specific fleece or type of wool will 'want' to spin to, and if you don't care that it's a certain weight, just consistent, you'll have a lot easier time if you can find out what the that fleece 'likes' and spin it to that.

I hope that makes some sense... it sounds kind of silly I know.

About the muscle/back pains - make sure you're using a chair that promotes a good posture and is the right height for you and your wheel. A chair or stool that's the right height for you could help considerably. I'm just a twentysomething and even I get back pain if I'm in a chair that's wrong for me and my wheel!

Lousli
03-04-2008, 08:41 AM
I would first make sure your wheel is balanced and working properly and that you have something with good back support. Hopefully that will help with the back pain.

In terms of consistency, it is something I'm still working on, but a spinner friend of mine told me to go out and get myself a cheap pound of wool and spin the whole thing (a little at a time of course) and by the time I got to the end, I'd be much more consistent. I'm hoping to find the time to take another class or join a group to get some tips on technique as well.