PDA

View Full Version : Interesting definition

photolady
02-22-2008, 09:38 AM
av·a·tar (v-tär)
n.
1. The incarnation of a Hindu deity, especially Vishnu, in human or animal form.
2. An embodiment, as of a quality or concept; an archetype: the very avatar of cunning.
3. A temporary manifestation or aspect of a continuing entity: occultism in its present avatar.

get_her_donne
02-22-2008, 09:44 AM
Huh...well isn't that funky.
I guess since my avatar is a picture of me, I must be an incarnation of a Hindu deity. I really never knew that.
=)

PCwombat
02-22-2008, 10:18 AM
Ooo, that's sort of cool. I've been using the word for ever, but I never thought to see if it had any meaning beyond "user pic." I wonder if there are any wombats present in the Hindu religion...

Learn something new every day!

photolady
02-22-2008, 10:30 AM
Ooo, that's sort of cool. I've been using the word for ever, but I never thought to see if it had any meaning beyond "user pic."
Glad i could help.

:knitting: :mrgreen:

MMario
02-22-2008, 11:28 AM
'Avatar' in the web sense fits either definition 2 or definition 3; though I suspect it will become a fourth definition.

Knitting_Guy
02-22-2008, 02:05 PM
Depends upon the dictionary used.

This is from the Random House Unabridged Dictionary:

1.Hindu Mythology. the descent of a deity to the earth in an incarnate form or some manifest shape; the incarnation of a god.

2.an embodiment or personification, as of a principle, attitude, or view of life.

3.Computers. a graphical image that represents a person, as on the Internet.