PDA

View Full Version : Wool Of The Andes?

Knitting_Guy
02-22-2008, 03:37 PM
I am getting ready to order some yarn for my very first sweater attempt. I am looking at ordering from Knit Picks as they have a clearance sale right now.

I am looking at the Wool of the Andes yarn. At $1.99 per 50g ball I can afford to buy enough for a sweater. But I'm not familiar with this yarn so wanted to find out if anyone has used it and can tell me anything about it?

suecq
02-22-2008, 03:39 PM
I made my DH a cardigan with it. He really likes the sweater, but it does tend to pile. I liked working with the fiber.

Ellieblue
02-22-2008, 04:36 PM
I am working on a top down raglan cardigan out of the yarn right now and have used it a lot in the past. It has a nice smooth texture with a slight sheen.:sun: Ellie

Jan in CA
02-22-2008, 04:49 PM
It pills like crazy. Here's a thread that Amy posted about her sweater made with it.

http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36922&highlight=pill

LadyB
02-22-2008, 04:54 PM
I've only used it for felting, and I don't think it's soft enough that I would want a sweater made out of it.

Knitting_Guy
02-22-2008, 06:16 PM
Thanks for the input. I went ahead and ordered it. I figure for that price it should be fine for a first sweater attempt. If it pills it pills, I can always shave it :rofl:

feministmama
02-22-2008, 06:21 PM
For a first sweater, with real wool at a really cheap price, WOTA can't be beat. :thumbsup:

Knitting_Guy
02-22-2008, 06:53 PM
For a first sweater, with real wool at a really cheap price, WOTA can't be beat. :thumbsup:

Yeah that's kinda what I am thinking. Thanks.

Mulderknitter
02-22-2008, 09:14 PM
I am not sure that I would use that yarn for anything I intended to machine wash, for obvious reasons. But for a first sweater, and at those prices??? gosh go for it! And PLEASE post us pics!:yay:

Jaxhil
02-23-2008, 12:43 PM
I think that's a good choice, for the first sweater foray! What color did you order? Do you have a pattern in mind, or are you wingin' it?

good luck! Sweaters are fun!

Knitting_Guy
02-23-2008, 01:05 PM
I think that's a good choice, for the first sweater foray! What color did you order? Do you have a pattern in mind, or are you wingin' it?

good luck! Sweaters are fun!

I ordered the Sapphire Heather colorway. I thought it would make a decent sweater color.

This is the pattern I am looking at attempting. http://www.berroco.com/exclusives/ben/ben.html

Debkcs
02-23-2008, 01:28 PM
Nice sweater pattern, Mason, and I love the color.

My experience with WOTA was such that I'll not work with it again, hope you get a better lot.

msoebel
02-25-2008, 10:48 AM
I used that color for a bag...it's lovely. It has some pretty undertones to it...I think it'll make your eyes sparkle.

I personally like working this yarn. It's not malabrigo...but it's softer than people give it credit for. It feels like the wool from an old aran sweater.

Plantgoddess+
02-25-2008, 11:12 AM
That's a great looking pattern and it looks like you're going to have a lot of fun with it. I'm sure it will look amazing when you're done. Go for it Mason.

GinnyG
02-25-2008, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the input. I went ahead and ordered it. I figure for that price it should be fine for a first sweater attempt. If it pills it pills, I can always shave it :rofl:
SHAVE??? From the looks of your avatar I'm not sure you KNOW how to shave:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

lelvsdgs
02-25-2008, 03:20 PM
I ordered the Sapphire Heather colorway. I thought it would make a decent sweater color.

This is the pattern I am looking at attempting. http://www.berroco.com/exclusives/ben/ben.html
I just made this sweater for my boyfriend and it was really fun to knit. I love cables so it was right up my alley. I think it will be really nice in the color you chose, so I hope you post pictures!
Have a great time with this!

:woohoo:

boo1
02-25-2008, 08:35 PM
You picked a great pattern! I'm working on my first wearable too, and I'm using inexpensive yarn. First because I had it lying around and second, well, just in case I totally screw it up! :)

I know you've already ordered your yarn, but have you checked the prices at www.elann.com? Very good prices and they're very quick to ship.

Enjoy your new sweater! :thumbsup:

Knitting_Guy
02-27-2008, 02:18 PM
SHAVE??? From the looks of your avatar I'm not sure you KNOW how to shave:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

:rofl:

sinistral_needler
02-27-2008, 03:01 PM
I am using WOTA for my mom's sweater. I would recommend this yarn to anyone looking for a good, inexpensive (vs. cheap) worsted weight wool yarn. It is great, sturdy yarn for the price.

It may be just a tad bit splitty, but that is just my opinion as I haven't worked with a lot of yarns.

Knitting_Guy
02-27-2008, 03:33 PM
According to the email I received from KP the yarn shipped two days ago so it should be waiting for me when I make it back home again in a few weeks. :cheering:

lelvsdgs
02-27-2008, 05:28 PM
I am using WOTA for my mom's sweater. I would recommend this yarn to anyone looking for a good, inexpensive (vs. cheap) worsted weight wool yarn. It is great, sturdy yarn for the price.

It may be just a tad bit splitty, but that is just my opinion as I haven't worked with a lot of yarns.
Totally off topic but I love your avatar...

Jaxhil
02-27-2008, 05:37 PM
Oh, that's going to be a gorgeous sweater, Mason! Good choice on the color-I like the color right next to it, Arctic pool heather :heart: i do not need more yarn, i do not need more yarn,.... LOL.

Can't wait to see it!

sinistral_needler
02-27-2008, 05:52 PM
Totally off topic but I love your avatar...

I just found it yesterday and I HAD to use it! :)

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-29-2008, 12:55 PM
I'd use WOTA to make a sweater with the clear intent of wearing something under it; I find it itchy.
Very manly sweater, Mason!

babsnelson
02-29-2008, 01:34 PM

Great sweater!! I made DH a pair of slippers (felted) using this color way. It is really gorgeous. Can't wait to see the sweater!