PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!!!!

Juny
02-23-2008, 03:55 PM
Hi; I am praying there is someone out-there who can help me. Between my slow computer and this knitting project I think I need a drink:) Please I am looking for help with two problems, I am workking on a sweater worked on circular needles 1. how do I prevent twisting, 2. how do I prevent curling at the bottom edge.

Juny
02-23-2008, 03:59 PM
I'm waiting

...dotty...
02-23-2008, 04:00 PM
Well, in order for the stitches not to be twisted when you join the circle, make sure that your caston stitches are all in a nice row BELOW the needle.........and if you don't want a rolled edge, you're going to need to start with ribbing or garter-stitch or something OTHER THAN stockinette. There's a sticky on this subject here on the forums. Are you using a specific pattern, or winging it?

...dotty...
02-23-2008, 04:02 PM
Here's that sticky thread.........
http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32810

I haven't read it in awhile.

Juny
02-23-2008, 04:03 PM
I'm using a pattern from Interweave Knits winter 00. The pattern instructions are for stockingnette stitch only

...dotty...
02-23-2008, 04:08 PM
Do you have a link for the pattern so that I can have a look?

Usually when the sweater is all stockinette, they MEAN for the edge to curl........do they not show it that way?

Juny
02-23-2008, 04:11 PM
Let me see if I can find and online link, I actually have the book here with me

...dotty...
02-23-2008, 04:21 PM
I looked at Interweave Knits' site, but didn't see a backissue for that year.

Juny
02-23-2008, 04:40 PM
http://www.interweave.com/knit/books/BestIWK/toc.asp there is a photo of the sweater on this page it is at the bottom of the page. It is called Burma Rings, the bottom edge and the sleeves are hemmed picot

Juny
02-23-2008, 04:45 PM
the pattern is by Barbara Venishnick. Burma Rings the pattern looks very simple, but I'm just having a heck of a time getting started. Thank you for helping me;)

...dotty...
02-23-2008, 04:50 PM
Aha.....you're using the book Best of Interweave Knits?
I've had that book from the library and liked that sweater myself ! It doesn't look like it has a curled bottom. Maybe it has a hemmed edge. Do you knit a few rounds, and then purl one round, then knit a few more, then pick up the caston edge and knit it with the next round, for a hem?

suzeeq
02-23-2008, 04:53 PM
With a turned up picot edge, that's what you would do. Knit a few rounds in stockinette, then make YOs for the picot, then knit more stockinette. When you finish and turn up the hem and sew it, it'll stay flat.

...dotty...
02-23-2008, 04:54 PM
Here's the picture I found........it looks to me like it probably has a picot edge.......that'll take care of any curling, once you get that done.

Juny
02-23-2008, 04:57 PM
No actually I have the original magazine, I've always loved this sweater however it is getting the best of me today(and last night) I have started over this will be the 3rd time. I was just seeing if I could find the pattern and found out Barbara V passed away. To anwaer your question, the pattern is strictly stockingnette stitch.

...dotty...
02-23-2008, 04:57 PM
What's the farthest you've ever gotten on it?

...dotty...
02-23-2008, 04:59 PM
Well, I would think that when you get to the top, the rings are done in purl or garter-stitch, right. Are you sure it doesn't start with a hem?

Juny
02-23-2008, 04:59 PM
Yes it has a picot hem, but how do I avoid the twisting. I'm sorry for being so thick. I feel like I'm knitting with a crochet hook

Juny
02-23-2008, 05:01 PM
row 5 and it starts to look like a fried pork skin :(

Juny
02-23-2008, 05:02 PM
the pattern calls for the hem to be done after the project is done

Juny
02-23-2008, 05:03 PM
no you start at the bottom and work upwards

fibrenut
02-23-2008, 05:08 PM
Hiya Juny,
Hun, don't sweat it. It's gonna look like overcooked bacon till you get it knit further. Then comes the magic of blocking and finishing and all that weirdness will be taken care of.
Just make sure that you haven't twisted your cast on or you'll get a mobius sweater n them are kinda hard to wear.

...dotty...
02-23-2008, 05:08 PM
Does the sweater start at the bottom or the neckline?

The twisting sounds like maybe you're a tight knitter. I've had that happen before, and just had to wait until the project got a bit longer before it quit doing that.

But, they want you to hem it AFTER the sweater is finished? Have you done a picot edge before? If it were me, I would do the kind that you do AS YOU GO. When I have to sew a hem down, I always either get it too tight, so that it won't stretch, or I worry about leaving big loops so that it CAN stretch !

Google 'picot edge' if you haven't done one before and try that. It's kindof involved, but not really difficult. I just did it on my last pair of socks, and I know it would be a lot easier on a big project, like a sweater hem. Of course, doing the provisional crochet cast on will take longer, but you could also do it with a regular good stretchy cast on , I think.

...dotty...
02-23-2008, 05:10 PM
Good luck to you.........I'm gonna go and grab some knitting time for myself !
I know someone else will jump in if you continue to have questions, or I wouldn't leave you hangin' !:wink:

Juny
02-23-2008, 05:19 PM
Thanks I'll bear this in mind when I start again

Juny
02-23-2008, 05:19 PM
Thank you sooooooooo much for your support!

KnittingNora
02-23-2008, 09:23 PM
I have just started a cardigan for myself in stocking stitch, and at the moment it looks like a scroll!! It is very annoying, but as I get further along it is straightening out a bit. I think this just happens when it is all stocking stitch, and you just have to ignore it... very hard to do as it looks like you are knitting a tube!

brittyknits
02-23-2008, 10:03 PM
I know it's a pain, but can you write out the directions for the first few rows of the pattern?

Juny
02-23-2008, 10:29 PM
thank you all so much, i guess I just needed the moral support. Whewwwww, I think I got it now, I've passed the part that was making me suicidal