PDA

View Full Version : Different styles/methods of knitting

lmsloman
02-24-2008, 02:23 PM
Wow, today was my first post and I'm already addicted! I decided to pace myself today :)

I was just curious to learn what style/method of knitting you all prefer (I'm continental, myself)......and if you know of, or are familar with any other methods that might be fun to learn. I saw a video last night of the Yarn Harlot demonstrating the "Irish Cottage" method - I must say, my head is still spinning!!! She goes SOOO fast! I'd LOVE to learn to knit that fast. As a newbie knitter, I require Instant gratification, so the sooner I finish something, the better! I'd love to hear any tips or tricks to make me the speediest/most efficent knitter that I can be!

campbellmom549
02-24-2008, 02:36 PM
I voted other because I knit both ways for now. I learned English, but I started a scarf (here (http://lizcampbellknitgallery.blogspot.com/)) that was in seed stitch and English drove me nuts, so I learned Continental. But I'm still not proficient enough at it. I'm knitting a sweater with Patons Divine yarn and I have to knit it English or it gets too tight. I think it's really all about finding the way that's most comfortable to you and that allows you to just knit without thinking about it.

boo1
02-24-2008, 02:49 PM
I haven't practiced enough to do it smoothly and with even tension and I really need to get cracking on a vest I'm making.

I'll take a break at some point and just try to knit something using the Continental method.

:)

:knitting:

knittingymnast
02-24-2008, 02:52 PM
I knit English, although I can knit Continental. I prefer Continental, but I teach/taught so many people I just knit English now. I am trying to learn Cont. again, but its not going too well....

Newbie2Knitting
02-24-2008, 03:11 PM
When I learned to knit, I learned English. However, ribbing for a long-ish piece drove me nuts so I learned continental. I'm fairly comfortable w/both methods now. I'm making my sons sweaters for next year soley using Continental. That being said, I'm knitting some convertable mittens on 4 dpn's using English. I'm not *that* comfy with Continental just yet. ;)

gingerbread
02-24-2008, 03:31 PM
I knit mostly English that is the way I was taught. I do like to knit Continental often to try to get my speed up on it. I love the Continental but I really screw up in a project. So it is going to be English for awhile.:waving:

rachejm
02-24-2008, 03:40 PM
I learnt English style so that is what I do, have thought about learning continental but haven't had the patience to sit down and give it a go yet.

booskibabe
02-25-2008, 03:28 PM
I voted continental, but I knit a cross between Irish Cottage and Continental. I actually didn't realize I did this until today when I saw the video of the Yarn Harlot knitting that way. I want to learn how to knit straight continental, I think it would be faster than what I do now.

lelvsdgs
02-25-2008, 03:43 PM
I learned English and have tried Continental but found it kills my hands so I stick with English (although, when I learned, they called it American... go figure). My philosophy is to use whatever method works best for you as long as you get to do this:
:knitting:

Jax3303
02-25-2008, 04:07 PM
Both english and continental. I use whichever strikes me whenever I pick up a WIP.

sue in canada
02-25-2008, 04:26 PM
I voted English style. My version is more like the Yarn Harlot (Irish Cottage) but the fingers in my right hand are not as straight as hers. My right hand does not leave the needle. I didn't realize there were so may styles of knitting.

Eccie
02-25-2008, 07:32 PM
I voted other, I'm a combined knitter. But when i show someone else how to knit I show them the um, i dunno which is which, the one wher the yarn is in the left hand.

bethany
02-25-2008, 07:54 PM
primarily english, though working a blanket in continental right now...I just can't get the tension right when holding the yarn...

HollyP
02-25-2008, 08:42 PM
I knit primarily English but I do know how to knit continental. I did knit an entire sweater Conti but I decided I really prefer English. The purling alway feels very awkward when I am knitting continentally.
When I have taught people to knit I have taught both ways. My lefty friend loves continental.

Simply_Renee
02-26-2008, 12:10 PM
I voted continental- I am only working on my 2nd project now & it's the 1st one with purls- I am slowly getting the hang of it. It's hard to see if my tension is OK w/ the purling because I am working w/ Homespun and it's wibbly!

Debkcs
02-26-2008, 12:21 PM
My lefty friend loves continental

Yep, there it is, lefties like me like Continental. When I learned it, it was called "pick knitting" or "picking".

My goal is to learn the Irish Country style, but I'm trying to figure out how to modify that to my left hand, seems I'm almost there now.

knitpurlgurl
02-26-2008, 12:37 PM
I learned to knit English method, but tried my hand at continental method. I prefer English method. I'd love to try to perfect the Yarn Harlot's method. Continental is nice and I am sure is faster than I knit currently, but I love throwing.

kellee0302
02-26-2008, 12:56 PM
I use a little of both. That's just the way that I learned from my mother who learned from her grandmother. It works for me so I haven't tried to change it.

Pjusken
02-27-2008, 06:38 AM
I had never seen or heard of the English style until I came here and saw it. I've been trying to learn the method but it's going horribly.

GinnyG
02-27-2008, 07:02 AM
I think there, at time, seems to be a bit of "snobbery" attached to continental knitting. Now please don't jump all over me because I don't mean here. But I have had, on several occasions, someone come up to me whilst I was knitting, peer over my should and say " I knit CONTINENTAL" as if it were the end all be all and sign of a true knitter. I even had someone say to me to too long ago that they were a "real" knitter because they didn't "throw" their yarn.

I knit because I enjoy it, not for speed or to see how many items I can crank out. While I find the Yarn Harlot's speed impressive I also think it would be tiring and not so much fun.

Knitting style should be a matter of personal preference not a competition. I would someday like to learn COntinental but only so I can say "I tried it" but for now I am a happy ENGLISH knitter!

Eccie
02-27-2008, 08:50 AM
I think there, at time, seems to be a bit of "snobbery" attached to continental knitting. Now please don't jump all over me because I don't mean here. But I have had, on several occasions, someone come up to me whilst I was knitting, peer over my should and say " I knit CONTINENTAL" as if it were the end all be all and sign of a true knitter. I even had someone say to me to too long ago that they were a "real" knitter because they didn't "throw" their yarn.

I knit because I enjoy it, not for speed or to see how many items I can crank out. While I find the Yarn Harlot's speed impressive I also think it would be tiring and not so much fun.

Knitting style should be a matter of personal preference not a competition. I would someday like to learn COntinental but only so I can say "I tried it" but for now I am a happy ENGLISH knitter!

:cheering: Well said :)

knitpurlgurl
02-27-2008, 11:17 AM

I'm sure not ALL continental knitters are this way - but I've run into this as well. When I used to knit at 2 different yarn shops, I got comments that basically added up to me not being either a serious knitter or a good knitter because I throw. I LOVE to throw.

Bottom line: It's ALL good if we knit!!! It wouldn't matter if someone knitted with their toes to me. Knitters are like the yarns they knit with: Some are thin. Some are chunky. Some are fuzzy. Some are scratchy. Some are flashy. And some are subdued. But in the end they are all yummy!

of troy
02-27-2008, 06:39 PM
first, Thank you for acknowledging there are other styles of knitting besides European. (and for the record both english and continental are European styles)

I knit combo. my purl stitches are wrapped 'differently' (the long way (clockwise) not the short way (over the top) (conterclockwise)

this results in my stitches (on rows after a purl stitch) being mounted with FRONT (leading edge of stitch) in back.

I can knit european (that is i can (and sometimes do!) purl so that my purl stitch is mounted with leading edge in front of work.

i can also purl in the norwegian style (but that style results in a standard leading edge in front stitch)

and i can (and occationally practice doing!) work purls stitches with my thumb (portugues/mid eastern/greek style)

i also knit backwards (aka true left handed)that is work stitches from RIGHT NEEDLE onto the LEFT (vs standard work stitches from LEFT NEEDLE on the the Right handed on)

What i don't do well (aver some 45 years of knitting !) is work with the yarn held in my right hand.

all my knitting is done with yarn held by left hand.

but i don't think any of this matters!
what matter is can a knitter knit?

when they want to make a stocking knit stitch, (knit flat, knit in round, worked in double knitting!) can they do it?

when they want to work a twisted stitch (on work done flat, or in the round or in double knitting) can they?

I can.

i can knit. my knitting is conventional looking --even when the process i use to work the stitches isn't!

WandaT
02-28-2008, 07:51 AM
I knit Continental style. I tried English when I was first learning to knit b/c that was how I was shown. However, I've been a crocheter most of my life and even though I'm left handed, my Mom showed me how to knit right handed so I do. I hold the yarn in my left hand to crochet and when I tried it for knitting it just seemed so much more natural for me. As long as you find what's comfortable for you, what does it matter?

mullerslanefarm
02-28-2008, 11:03 AM
Another Combined Continental knitter here.

It's the way Grammy taught me 40 years ago. When I picked up needles again a few years ago, trying to relearn from books, I was confoozled with the purl.

Last January I finally figured out Grammy's purl and I've been happily knitting ever since!

I want to learn English to make carrying two yarns easier to knit.

KnittingNinja
02-28-2008, 01:05 PM
English knitter over here :happydance: I learned from a little kit that I got for Christmas when I was... umm... 11, I think. That kit happened to teach English, and since I'm right handed I didn't really question it. I saw Continental and was quite impressed, and I tried it once, but I never really stuck to it. I guess English just feels more natural to me.

KnittingNat
02-28-2008, 01:25 PM
I was knitting in combined style for 20 years and only when i discovered this site i understood there are other knitting styles. I switched to regular Continental now, because it's easier with the patterns for me (don't need to switch the decreases).