PDA

View Full Version : Artlady's KAL for "Tempting II"

Pages : [1] 2 3

ArtLady1981
02-25-2008, 05:41 PM
Hello Knitters! :waving:

Here is the 1st post for our "Tempting II" KAL!

Here are a few things we need to do before casting on our 1st stitch:

1) print the pattern
2) search for a preferred yarn
3) knit a gauge swatch

Notes: the pattern uses Rowan's CALMER. I've used this yarn before, and it's fabulous. The pattern says that whatever yarn we decide to use, it is best if the yarn has some stretchiness qualities.

The 'stitch gauge' for the pattern is 20st=4" on stocking stitch, using a US8 needle. For most knitters, the US8 will render a perfect 4" for 20 stitches of st st. But, here's the rub: If you knit tight, the swatch will be too narrow (maybe just 3.5"). If you knit loose, the swatch will be too wide (maybe 4.5"). You can't usually change how you knit. Tight knitters just knit tight, and have to compensate for that by using larger size needles! On the other hand, loose knitters have to compensate by using smaller size needles.

So, first let's decide on the yarn, get the yarn, and then we swatch.

If you want to use a yarn other than Calmer, check the ball band and make sure the recommended gauge of that yarn says 18st-20st = 4" in st st. (Some yarns give its gauge in 1" increments, so just multiply that by 4 to tell the 4" stitch gauge)

[CAUTION: You can't make a DK yarn work for Tempting II. A DK yarn gauge is usually 22st=4". You can't make a bulky worsted yarn work for Tempting II either.
A bulky worsted yarn usually starts at 16-17st=4". Not good.]

We have to start with a yarn that is in the ballpark of 20st=4".

Please reply to me with any questions that you have about PHASE 1 of our sweater: the yarn choice, gauge, and the gauge swatch!

Also, preview the "tools" that the pattern says we need.
Ask me any questions about that list of tools, too.

TEMPTING II pattern here (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter05/PATTtemptingII.html)

NOTE ADDED LATER: Please read!

On page 33 of this thread, I have posted photos that will be of help to you after you complete the BODY ribbing. These photos are broken up into 5 consecutive posts, and they go in order as the pattern does. The posts are #323-#327. Please bookmark page 33 so that you can refer back to these photos.

I knit in-the-round with the RS on the inside of the tube. My photos on page 33 reflect this. Most knitters, however, knit with the RS on the outside of the tube. Whatever kind of 'in-the-round' knitter you are, bear in mind that my RS is on the inside. So don't let my photos on page 33 confuse you!

I have placed a photo tutorial on page 42, post #423 that demonstrates step-by-step how I join row 1 to row 2 for 'in-the-round' ...and this makes the RS on the inside.

It doesn't make a bit of difference to the ultimate outcome of this pattern. I just prefer seeing my RS on the inside of my tube, and the working needles are not next to my body, but furthest from my body.

knittingymnast
02-25-2008, 07:34 PM
Er, what type of yarn would we use then? My LYS has a lot of stuff, but a lot of it is just from local knitters/spinners/dyers. I don't know how many specific brands they have, but I will try.

If Bulky weight is too fat, and DK weight is too thin, would Aran/Medium weight work? Just asking, because I don't have a lot of experience working with yarn that a certain pattern calls for. I use the same needle size and same yarn weight, but if I have some extra Bulky weight lurking around and I want to knit a ___________, then I will use that Bulky weight stuff. I usually just use what yarn I have around because I can't drive myself over to my LYS and buy what I need, so my choices are limited. I have a lot of pretty medium weight stuff, so just let me know, Artlady! Thanks!

Ok, more rambling. Will 100% merino wool work? Or what about other stuff? What would work the best? Thank you!

ArtLady1981
02-25-2008, 08:21 PM
Yes, yarn that is called Aran/Medium weight is good. "Rowan Calmer" (that the pattern designer used) is classified Aran/Medium weight.

Yes, 100% merino wool will work...but if the yarn doesn't have a label on it to tell you what its gauge (fatness/thinnesss) is... knit a gauge swatch to test it.

Does your 100% merino wool have a label on it? Merino wool comes in different weights (fatness/thinness). Lace weight, dk weight, aran weight, even bulky weight.
Gauge swatch> Step #1:
Knit your gauge swatch, measure, and get back to me with the measurement. If it's a perfect 4"...we're in business and you can use that yarn with that needle size. If it is more than 4", or less than 4"...I will tell you what to do about it in our next gauge swatch lesson.

To make a gauge swatch:
Cast on 22 stitches. Work back and forth for 4" like this:
Row 1: K across the entire row
Row 2: K1, Purl 20, K1.

Repeat rows 1 & 2 for 4" in length. Don't count the stitches on your needle. Cast off on the next row.

When you are done, measure the middle 20 stitches.
Don't count the end stitches (they are called "edge stitches")
Measure inbetween the edge stitches.

For our Tempting II, our 20 middle stitches should measure 4".

NOTE: the reason that "gauge" is so important with sweater knitting is so that the sweater will fit you! If gauge is OFF, then the sweater will end up being too tight, or too loose!

knittingymnast
02-25-2008, 08:24 PM
WAIT WAIT WAIT! I still haven't got the yarn yet! I need a trip to my LYS to get some yarn. Grrrrr. The only possible time would be like, Friday. Your going to have to hold off for a few days Artlady. Well, actually, I have some blue stuff. Lemme get that.

silegose
02-25-2008, 08:27 PM
:teehee: What happens if your a chubkins like me? I would like to try this though. Did I need to do part one?
thanks

ArtLady1981
02-25-2008, 08:37 PM
WAIT WAIT WAIT! I still haven't got the yarn yet! I need a trip to my LYS to get some yarn. Grrrrr. The only possible time would be like, Friday. Your going to have to hold off for a few days Artlady. Well, actually, I have some blue stuff. Lemme get that.

No problem, KG! I don't have the yarn either. I thought you wanted to try your 100% merino!

There' s no rush! :teehee: Let's take our time and consider all of our yarn options.

But when you do get your yarn, or want to try a yarn that you already have...then you will do Gauge Swatch Step #1!

I still hafta find a yarn, too! :teehee:

I also realize that you have school, and maybe a whole bunch of other activities you participate in, and you probably help your mom around the house with a few chores! So, whatever you can devote to our KAL is okay by me!

We'll have our Tempting II done by the time the snow is gone, and the sun is here!!!

Hugs,

Artlady

knittingymnast
02-25-2008, 08:45 PM
I don't have the merino, I was just thinking.....because I saw it at my LYS a couple weeks back....

silegose
02-25-2008, 10:27 PM
seriously, I would like to join in this kal. Am I still able to even though I did not do the first part?
Happy knitting

ArtLady1981
02-25-2008, 10:40 PM
:teehee: What happens if your a chubkins like me? I would like to try this though. Did I need to do part one?
thanks

Yes! Be sure to do a swatch first. Very important! The Tempting II link is also enclosed in my signature. As you can see, it gives directions in lots of sizing. I am making the size L.

Welcome Terri! :grphug:

ArtLady1981
02-25-2008, 10:42 PM
seriously, I would like to join in this kal. Am I still able to even though I did not do the first part?
Happy knitting

Yes, please join me and Rosalie in this KAL! :grphug:

Isn't this Tempting II an adorable top! I really need it to wear with two cardigans I'm making! Blouses won't do for them!

Knittinggymnast (KG for short) hasn't purchased her yarn yet...so you are not behind us at all.

Ilove2knit
02-26-2008, 12:41 PM
I want to join, too! I finished my Tempting sweater recently, and I'm in the middle of another top; hopefully I'll finish it soon. I haven't participated in a KAL before. What type of yarn would you recommend? I used acrylic for Tempting, and wish I hadn't; it's kinda sweaty and itchy. I have a lot of recycled cotton, but it might be too thin. Since I got it from sweaters, I'm not sure what weight it is. I have some worsted(I think) cashmere...would that work? Is cashmere good for summer-time? Tempting 2 is such a cute top; I want to make a good yarn choice so I can wear it! Summers are very hot and humid where I live.

suzeeq
02-26-2008, 12:51 PM
Cashmere is Reaally Warm, so I wouldn't recommend it for a warm weather sweater. Maybe you could double the cotton (if you have enough) and see how that works.

lelvsdgs
02-26-2008, 01:32 PM
Hmmm... this looks like something my daughter might like. Let me run it past her and I may join you.

Samsam
02-26-2008, 05:23 PM
ohh I really like this pattern!

Indygirl
02-26-2008, 06:01 PM
I would like to join in and make one for my daughter. I think I'm a little busty http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/images/icons/icon9.gif to make this for me. I have a bag of 10 balls of Debbie Bliss merino aran. It says on the band it is 50g. Do you think that is enough yarn. My daughter is a very small person. Also would that kind of yarn be to warm for the spring?

ArtLady1981
02-26-2008, 06:04 PM
What type of yarn would you recommend? .....I want to make a good yarn choice so I can wear it! Summers are very hot and humid where I live.

Hi Love!

Well, the model sweater is knit out of Rowan's "Calmer"...a cotton blend with a bit of stretchiness to it. I noticed that one of my favorite Ebay yarn shops has some Calmer on sale!!! Wheee! In a light limey green called SOUR, and in a peachy color called TANGERINE!
SOUR (http://cgi.ebay.com/Rowan-Calmer-483-cotton-yarn-Sour_W0QQitemZ200157155684QQihZ010QQcategoryZ36595 QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247Q QcmdZViewItem)
TANGERINE (http://cgi.ebay.com/Rowan-Calmer-486-cotton-yarn-Tangerine_W0QQitemZ200144984380QQihZ010QQcategoryZ 36595QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l 1247QQcmdZViewItem)
Somebody better go over and grab up that SOUR. There are only 10 sk left and it is eatin' at me somethin' fierce! I love the color!!!

"Calmer" is typically about $10-$12 per skein! But Yarnbow is offering these two for just $6.25 per skein! A real savings! She is a good Ebayer, BTW. I have purchased from her numerous times.

Whatever YARN you decide on, the yarn label has to say the gauge of the yarn is 18-20 st per 4" in st. st.

If you have "unknown" yarn in your Stash, and want to FIND OUT what the weight is, just cast on 22 stitches with a US8 needle, and work st st back and forth for about 4".

Then measure the width of the middle 20 st. If it measures 4", you have an aran weight that will work for Tempting II.

And you probably know how to change needle sizes up or down to re-swatch if your swatch was too wide or too narrow for those middle 20st, right?

Some yarns can be tweaked by needle size to conform to the gauge required by the pattern. But, you can't go up in size too far to make a lightweight yarn work. The st st would be loosey-goosey and hole-y looking.

Conversely, if you go down in needle size for a bulky-ish yarn, the st st will look too thick, and feel like a placemat. That doesn't work either.

No, you can only tweak a yarn and its gauge a needle size or two up or down.

I have been having gauge issues lately. Trying to find a pattern for a yarn I have my heart set on...and to make things even more interesting, the yarn is variegated, and thereby limiting my pattern choices even more! :eyes:

ArtLady1981
02-26-2008, 06:14 PM
I would like to join in and make one for my daughter. I think I'm a little busty http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/images/icons/icon9.gif to make this for me. I have a bag of 10 balls of Debbie Bliss merino aran. It says on the band it is 50g. Do you think that is enough yarn. My daughter is a very small person. Also would that kind of yarn be to warm for the spring?

Hi Indy! :waving:

The ballband should also say how many yards is contained in that 50g. of DB merino aran. If not, go to the Yarndex and find out.

The model sweater is using "Calmer", which has 177 yds. per skein. If you needed, for example, 4 skeins for your daughter's size...that would be 708 yds total in any yarn.

Lemme see, I'll check with the Yarndex. Yup, it has 86 yds per skein. So you have in your possession 860 yds. Probably more than enough to make a Tempting II for your DD!

Welcome to Tempting II KAL, Indygirl!! :woot:

www.yarndex.com is a site that will tell you all the stats about almost any yarn! It is so way cool!

Indygirl
02-26-2008, 06:24 PM
Thanks Artlady, I saved that yarndex site. I might go looking around online to try to find this "calmer" that the pattern calls for. I can always use this yummy 'debbie bliss' another time.

ArtLady1981
02-26-2008, 06:26 PM
Hmmm... this looks like something my daughter might like. Let me run it past her and I may join you.

It would be wonderful to have you, lelvsdgs! Get back to us! :muah:

Indygirl
02-26-2008, 06:49 PM
Look what I just found. I think it will look great on my D.D. and I love the color. :woot:

http://img.yarn.com/images/items/1064/3597/5013712971181.jpg

ArtLady1981
02-26-2008, 07:18 PM
Thanks Artlady, I saved that yarndex site. I might go looking around online to try to find this "calmer" that the pattern calls for. I can always use this yummy 'debbie bliss' another time.

Check this LINK (http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?query=rowan+calmer&MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&ht=1&ebaytag1=ebayreg&srchdesc=n&maxRecordsReturned=300&maxRecordsPerPage=50&SortProperty=MetaEndSort)
There are lots of Rowan "Calmer" offerings on Ebay today. Keep scrolling down when you get there! And quite a few are half price!! WhooHooo!

MerigoldinWA
02-26-2008, 07:31 PM
Hi, ArtLady. I am looking with interest at the knit along you have going. You know I don't usually knit grown up things, but this top would look great on my youngest DD. I don't know if she would like it or if I could find yarn suitable. I would want it to be a summer top and so seems like the cotton blend would be in order.

I've been looking around on-line. And I found this at Elann (http://www.elann.com/productdisp.asp?NAME=Katia+Jet&Season=&Company=&Cat=ALLY&ProductType=5&OrderBy=&Count=68). What do you think of it. Would it work? I don't want to make something that will be worn once and be trash after that, but looking at the Rowan..... my cheap-o-meter went off. LOL This other stuff is in mostly bright colors and I don't know if my DD would like any of them, or the top for that matter. But I may ask her. Have you ever used or seen this yarn used? I think the gauge could work. I think I would need to make the 36 or possibly the 32, so would need 8 balls of this Elann yarn. That would only be $18.00, which keeps my temperature down much better. lol

Merigold

ArtLady1981
02-26-2008, 07:50 PM
....I've been looking around on-line. And I found this at Elann (http://www.elann.com/productdisp.asp?NAME=Katia+Jet&Season=&Company=&Cat=ALLY&ProductType=5&OrderBy=&Count=68). What do you think of it. Would it work?....

Merigold

Yes, I do think it would work! "Calmer" is also a cotton/microfiber blend (75% Cotton/25% Microfiber) That's what gives it the stretchiness, and keeps the summer top close to the bod. The pattern says to knit it up to be a little snug. Like if your chest is 42"...knit the size for 40".

Thanks ever so much for the link! This may help others, too! I LOVE THE GOOD PRICE!!!

As I said, Calmer is on sale on Ebay. I posted the link but here it is again: CALMER (http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?query=rowan+calmer&MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&ht=1&ebaytag1=ebayreg&srchdesc=n&maxRecordsReturned=300&maxRecordsPerPage=50&SortProperty=MetaEndSort)

Your yarn at Elann is a better bargain though! The Calmer on sale would bring the cost of the top to at least $25 plus shipping.

Your Katia JET is only $18 for the size you need! WhoooHooo! :woot:

I'm gonna see if I can't post a link to that yarn in my signature. I might not have enough space allowed. I'd have to offload my Ravelry hot link, or my 2008 Year of the Stash hot link.

Welcome Merigold! We need you! :thumbsup:

MerigoldinWA
02-26-2008, 07:59 PM
I called my DD and she looked at the pattern and liked it. She would prefer it minus the buckle, which is fine by me. She also looked at the colors of the Elann and liked three of them.

I don't know anything about using E-bay. It has always scared me. We don't have an account, but DD said she did. She may look at the yarn there. She is working Mon., Tue., Wed., nights (12 hour shifts) and has a little baby to take care of and was trying to take a nap when I called (but was still awake). Our son and his wife gave us a $25.00 gift certificate to spend on E-bay quite a few years ago. We haven't used it and don't even know how, or if we still can. So we're bad about E-bay and most things that involve money/technology. The more of either the worse we are. LOL

Merigold

ArtLady1981
02-26-2008, 08:08 PM
....She would prefer it minus the buckle, which is fine by me...

Merigold

I may skip the buckle, too. I might make the pieces (that would go into the buckle) longer and tie them in a cute square knot. That appeals to me more.

Yeah, Ebay scares lots of folks. I use PayPal, so my cc information is completely secure.

And, I use only a few of the highest rated Ebay Yarn Shops. Those shops with 100% customer Feedback Approval. Those Ebayers CARE ABOUT FEEDBACK. Nothin' could kill their business quicker than negative feedback.

I have never had even one bad experience with Ebay Yarn Shops, or any other shop for that matter. I bought a vintage print a couple weeks ago...a print of old timey knitters with their kids hangin' all over them. The vendor lives in England, and I got that print quicker than stuff from Elann!

But, as I said, I only buy from established SHOPS on Ebay. The ones that are in it for the long haul, as a business! Not the miscellaneous fly-by-night Ebayers.

I think your KATIA JET yarn will do wonderfully for Tempting II.
I would buy it myself if I didn't already have Stash yarn for it!

MerigoldinWA
02-26-2008, 08:41 PM
I went to look at E-bay and have a couple of questions. One of the sellers is called Rainbow and has 100% good feed back. She says the shipping is $3.50 but doesn't say how she handles multiple skeins. The one in England, Janette's Rare Yarns (or something with a J), had 99.9% good feedback. That is pretty high in my mind. She had some turquoise, which was one of the colors my DD likes of the Katia Jet. Rowan is a good name in my book because that man knitter who did all the fantastic color knitting used it. LOL It is also 75% cotton instead of the Katia Jet being 50%. The gal in England at least said how she handled multiple skeins. 1 was $4.00 and each after that was $1.00 more. Do you think the gal in Texas would want $3.50 per skein, or how do you find out?

Have you used or seen the Katia Jet?

ArtLady1981
02-26-2008, 09:24 PM
I went to look at E-bay and have a couple of questions. One of the sellers is called Rainbow and has 100% good feed back. She says the shipping is $3.50 but doesn't say how she handles multiple skeins. The one in England, Janette's Rare Yarns (or something with a J), had 99.9% good feedback. That is pretty high in my mind. She had some turquoise, which was one of the colors my DD likes of the Katia Jet. Rowan is a good name in my book because that man knitter who did all the fantastic color knitting used it. LOL It is also 75% cotton instead of the Katia Jet being 50%. The gal in England at least said how she handled multiple skeins. 1 was $4.00 and each after that was $1.00 more. Do you think the gal in Texas would want $3.50 per skein, or how do you find out?

Have you used or seen the Katia Jet?

The Ebay lady in Texas is not Rainbow...it is Yarnbow! TeeHee! I have ordered from her many times. If you click on one of her yarns...and scroll waaaaaaaaaaaaay down...keep scrolling....keep scrolling....you will see where she states $3.50 for ball #1 and 60 cents for ea. add'l ball.

If you ever have questions in the future, look on the right hand side of the page of the yarn...and click ASK SELLER A QUESTION. When she gets your question, she will know what yarn you are asking about. She gets right back to you with answers! All good ebayers do!

I knit a full pullover with Calmer a couple years ago! I love it!
It breathes, and being slightly stretchy, it isn't restricting! Just enough stretch, like jeans with a little stretch. Dontcha just love 'em?

Ilove2knit
02-26-2008, 09:46 PM
On Joann.com I found some cotton/acrylic blend yarn. Would that work? The pattern says that 100% cotton doesn't work so well for Tempting 2, and I mostly have 100% cotton. Here's a link to the yarn I found.

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CATID=cat2876&PRODID=prd31109

silegose
02-27-2008, 12:37 AM
artlady, well I dont have enough yarn of my KIM, so I went :eyes: at the LYS and picked up some deb bliss pure cotton but I dont think it will work that well. I does not stretch very well.
I did do a gauge swatch and 20/ 25 rows. What do you think? Should I look for something else.
thanks

ArtLady1981
02-27-2008, 04:22 AM
On Joann.com I found some cotton/acrylic blend yarn. Would that work? ....

I looked at the gauge, and it seems to be spot on! I think you have a winner! Nice price, too!

The yardage per skein is almost identical to Calmer's yardage.

NOTE: they attached a disclaimer about their inconsistent dyelots.
So you might end up having to alternate every other row with a different skein if shading differences appear!

Ilove2knit
02-27-2008, 11:19 AM
I'll probably buy it in the store, so I can make sure to get it all from one dyelot; I just looked online to see what was available. I think the disclaimer meant that if you order online, they aren't going to scrutinize each skein to make sure the dyelots match. And, anyway, I'm not about to pay shipping when I can just go to the store. :)

silegose
02-27-2008, 12:30 PM
indygirl... can you post the website were you ordered your yarn again, I cant seem to find it?

knit2btied
02-27-2008, 01:14 PM
Well, I guess after buying Yarnbows green sour yarn I'm in... Now to wait till it arrives!

ArtLady1981
02-27-2008, 02:31 PM
I'll probably buy it in the store....:)

I'd do the same! I didn't know they carried it in the store! Sometimes what's online and what's in the store don't sync!
Take a digital of your yarn when ya get it! Share the photo with us!:cheering:

ArtLady1981
02-27-2008, 02:33 PM
Well, I guess after buying Yarnbows green sour yarn I'm in... Now to wait till it arrives!

Ohhhhh I am so GREEN! :teehee: I'm glad you scored that color!
It's a discontinued color, so we can't get it anymore after what's out there is SOLD OUT!

Good for you!! Yarnbow ships fast!

silegose
02-27-2008, 03:02 PM
Hello eveyone, I just placed my order for some calmer. I cant wait to get it :cheering:

silegose
02-27-2008, 03:21 PM
Darn.. I wish I would have known about the last days of the sour color. I would have went and ordered that instead... :hmm:

knit2btied
02-27-2008, 06:02 PM
Ohhhhh I am so GREEN! :teehee: I'm glad you scored that color!
It's a discontinued color, so we can't get it anymore after what's out there is SOLD OUT!

Good for you!! Yarnbow ships fast!

I just hope what I ordered is enough then. I'm having trouble completing Tempting I due to having trusted the pattern about how much yarn is needed!

ArtLady1981
02-27-2008, 07:26 PM
Yarnbow on Ebay still has 4 skeins of color "SOUR" (Rowan's Calmer) left.

If anyone is making the size XS-S-or-M...4 is all you need.

Ilove2knit
02-27-2008, 11:12 PM
Ok...well it turned out the good yarn I found online wasn't available in the store after all. So I went to another store. And they didn't have it either. I thought I had seen it there before. I guess it was the same brand, but not the same type. I went ahead and bought some "denim style" yarn (can't remember the brand right now, since I don't have it in front of me), thinking maybe it would work. I knitted a swatch, and the gauge isn't quite right, and it doesn't have as much stitch definition as I'd like for this project. So now I have four skeins of yarn with no idea for how to use them...and I think I'll go ahead and order the yarn I liked...online. :roll: Go figure.

suzeeq
02-27-2008, 11:15 PM
Bernat Denim style? Colors with a twist of white and very soft? That's nice for a sweatshirt type of sweater, but not sure it's right for this project.

Doodknitwit
02-27-2008, 11:39 PM
is this the beautiful sweater Artlady 's DD modeled months back....
:waving:

ArtLady1981
02-27-2008, 11:44 PM
is this the beautiful sweater Artlady 's DD modeled months back....
:waving:

No, that sweater was "Tempting" Version I.

This KAL is for "TEMPTING II". I like it better actually! I like the
construction of it better along the top of the bustline!
http://www.knitty.com/issuewinter05/images/Tempting2BEAUTY.jpg
Why don't you join us in this newest version? I like the pattern,too, because it has directionsfor XS-to-XXXL! Wow, that's really nice! Caution knitters: the patternsays to knit the size that is about 2" less than your bust. It needs to have a nice snug fit across the bustline. So, I am knitting the 40".

This is "Tempting" Version I (below). It is more off-the-shoulder.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3246/2296416405_667d904819.jpg?v=0

Ilove2knit
02-28-2008, 10:44 AM
Yes: Bernat Denim Style! That was it! I'm sure I'll use it at some point, but not for this project. My stash is growing.... :eyes:

knitmama
02-28-2008, 06:04 PM
Oh what a bummer! I just found this and I've already started working on the first Tempting. This is on my to do list, too, and I would've done it first if I had seen it sooner. I can't wait to see how it turns out for all of you!

Indygirl
02-28-2008, 06:12 PM
I just got an e-mail that my yarn has just been shipped.:cheering:

silegose
02-28-2008, 06:30 PM
Indy ... DITTO.. I just cant wait.

knit2btied
02-28-2008, 08:56 PM
Oh what a bummer! I just found this and I've already started working on the first Tempting. This is on my to do list, too, and I would've done it first if I had seen it sooner. I can't wait to see how it turns out for all of you!

You can join me in hurrying to finish Tempting I to start Tempting II! :teehee:

ArtLady1981
02-29-2008, 06:42 AM
I just got an e-mail that my yarn has just been shipped.:cheering:

Hi Indy! Is this the tangerine "Calmer"? It looks like Calmer!
What yarn did you say you were getting? I went back thru the 5 pages we have racked up...but I couldn't find your yarn's name!

silegose
02-29-2008, 10:30 AM
artlady, yes that is the color. Here is where you can find it. http://www.yarn.com
I grabbed the same one. The price is something you can Not walk away from. Big savings!

MerigoldinWA
02-29-2008, 12:16 PM
I'm still looking and having trouble. :) My DD doesn't like the Sour or Tangerine so that is out. I'm thinking I'd really like to use the Calmer, and still searching for a cheaper source of a color she likes. I looked at Main Street Yarns in Geogia somewhere. They had it on sale for $9.00 per skein. (I'm one of the lucky ones. My DD's bust is only 34 so I am looking at the size 32 to make, four skeins. :-)) They don't have anything but 6 balls of pink. No pink for my DD either. :sad: The lady said they had been discussing buying some more of it and would let me know what they decided to do. She said they had sold out what they had with it on sale, and obviously people were looking for it. (They don't know about our KAL. :lol: )

I was going to order the Katia Jet, but I don't know if they really have the number and color I need, but the more I looked at that the more I wanted the Calmer. The sweater is designed with Calmer and the Katia Jet has only 90 some yards in a 50 gram ball as opposed to 177 on Calmer. So size seems pretty different there somehow (I'm talking about thickness of the yarn). I'm afraid it would not be as nice. If I don't find some yarn I really feel good about I guess I'll sit this one out.

The three colors of Katia Jet that my DD approved were the periwinkle, aqua and turquoise. When I asked her which? She said I could eliminate the turquoise and choose from there. I was looking at a Calmer color called Tinkerbell. It is a periwinkle I think. You know how the colors go over the computer, different in every picture. They also have a lovely turquoise called Refresh that I think she'd like.

I know I said I was too cheap to get the Calmer. Tight, very tight is always my first reaction to everything. :lol: But sometimes I change my mind. :eyes:

knit2btied
02-29-2008, 01:43 PM
My calmer arrived today! I'll not be casting on just yet, though. I need to see how the size of tempting fits DD before I know which size tempting II to make.

Now off to figure out how to vote for the ebay lady who sold it to me!

mimi
02-29-2008, 02:46 PM
I am in, too. I ordered the Calmer in the "sour" color, and was told my yarn is shipping today ! Oh, the anticipation!

knit2btied
02-29-2008, 04:30 PM
Well, my tempting 1 fits so I'm standing ready when everyone else is. I'll knit socks till then, though, so I'm with everyone else! (Can't wait)

ArtLady1981
02-29-2008, 05:01 PM
This Ebay shop has an auction going for a pack of 10 Calmer in Tangerine, and the current bid is just $40.99. This auction ends in 6 hours. It is 12:56pm here in Washington State...Pacific Time...so the auction ends at about 7 pm Pacific Time. You can figure what time that is in your time zone.

HERE IS THE LINK (http://cgi.ebay.com/ROWAN-CALMER-YARN-10X50gr-Shade-486-Tangerine_W0QQitemZ300201399565QQihZ020QQcategoryZ 36593QQtcZphotoQQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewIt em) to her auction. She has 100% customer approval rating, too. She lives in Virginia, USA.

You won't need 10 skeins for our Tempting II...but for $4 per skein, you have plenty of yarn to make something else as well!

Full price for Calmer is about $12 per skein.

I have color 484 here on my desk, and it is lavender...and
color 464, and it's pea soup green.

ArtLady1981
02-29-2008, 05:06 PM
Well, my tempting 1 fits so I'm standing ready when everyone else is. I'll knit socks till then, though, so I'm with everyone else! (Can't wait)

Hi knit! Be sure to knit your swatch! You probably don't need this reminder!

TO ALL OF OUR KNITTERS using Calmer:

Cast on 22 stitches w/ US8 needle..."knit" the end stitches on the RS & WS...and knit st st for the middle 20 st.
When your swatch is 4"...measure the width of the middle 20 st.
They should be 4" wide. If they are wider, you need to try a US7.
If they are narrower, try a US6.

Gauge is very important to 'get right'... for knitting garments especially!

Indygirl
02-29-2008, 05:14 PM
Artlady, This is the site you wanted. Yes it is calmer yarn. http://yarn.com/webs/0/0/0/0-1001-1294-1323/0/0/3597/

Indygirl
02-29-2008, 05:21 PM
Hi Indy! Is this the tangerine "Calmer"? It looks like Calmer!
What yarn did you say you were getting? I went back thru the 5 pages we have racked up...but I couldn't find your yarn's name! http://yarn.com/webs/0/0/0/0-1001-1294-1323/0/0/3597/ Artlady, I don't think I posted correctly brfore. This is the site I ordered my yarn from. Some of this is only $5.29 a ball. You have to scroll through and check the price.

ArtLady1981
02-29-2008, 05:44 PM
http://yarn.com/webs/0/0/0/0-1001-1294-1323/0/0/3597/ Artlady, I don't think I posted correctly brfore. This is the site I ordered my yarn from. Some of this is only $5.29 a ball. You have to scroll through and check the price.

OH WOW! :passedout: WHAT A FANTABULOUS PRICE!!!! $5.29 per sk!!!! And of course, I love Tangerine. So summery!!

Thanks for sharing that link with us!!!!

Maybe Merigold's daughter will approve of color 484/lilac!!
It would be so nice to make Tempting II for just $21 plus a little shipping!!! WOW!

knit2btied
02-29-2008, 05:48 PM
Hi knit! Be sure to knit your swatch! You probably don't need this reminder!

TO ALL OF OUR KNITTERS using Calmer:

Cast on 22 stitches w/ US8 needle..."knit" the end stitches on the RS & WS...and knit st st for the middle 20 st.
When your swatch is 4"...measure the width of the middle 20 st.
They should be 4" wide. If they are wider, you need to try a US7.
If they are narrower, try a US6.

Gauge is very important to 'get right'... for knitting garments especially!

Yes ma'am!!!

ArtLady1981
02-29-2008, 05:54 PM
Hi Lovetoknit! Have you found your yarn choice yet?

Hi Merigold! Indygirl posted a link for Calmer at $5.29 per sk!
The lilac and tangerine at www.yarn.com (http://www.yarn.com) (WEBS).

Hi knittinggymnast! Let us know what yarn you get tonight!

Hi lelvsdgs, samsam, doodknitwit and knitmama!
Have you decided to join us in this KAL? We'd love to have you on board!!

None of us has cast on yet. We are all in the stages of deciding on colors, purchasing the yarn, waiting for the yarn, and stalking the UPS man, or swatching!

I might cast on tonight so that I can "break trail" for y'all!
[AKA: staying one step ahead of y'all!]

I will be posting digital photos of the tough areas...such as when we join the live stitches of the sleeves to the live stitches of the body! Ack. Well, I suffered through this part when I knit Tempting Version I last summer. :eyes: It can't be too different from what I see in Tempting II directions.

We'll do fine!!! :thumbsup:

ArtLady1981
02-29-2008, 06:02 PM
Yes ma'am!!!

:roflhard:

Indygirl
02-29-2008, 06:47 PM
Artlady, I just got my D.D's bust size. She is 37' around the bust. Would I go with the med. or the large size for her?

Indygirl
02-29-2008, 06:57 PM
I will be posting digital photos of the tough areas...such as when we join the live stitches of the sleeves to the live stitches of the body! Ack. Well, I suffered through this part when I knit Tempting Version I last summer. :eyes: It can't be too different from what I see in Tempting II directions.

We'll do fine!!! :thumbsup: Artlady, It sounds like I might be needing a lot of help. Don't you run off now Ya-hear! I can't wait to get my yarn. I just have the toe's to go on the socks. I'll get those finished before the UPS man gets here ;)

knittingymnast
02-29-2008, 08:02 PM
Yup! :thumbsup: Me too Indy! Artlady and the rest of you, please forgive me if we start a little later than planned. I can't squeeze in a trip to my LYS. I was planning to go tonight, but something came up and it's too late now. :cry: I have the yarn picked on (via the internet) and will go sometime in the next week. (or two....) Thank you for your patience!

ArtLady1981
03-01-2008, 12:57 AM
Artlady, I just got my D.D's bust size. She is 37' around the bust. Would I go with the med. or the large size for her?

The large (40") would fall off her! The pattern says:

"This sweater is designed to be snug-fitting. Choose the size with a chest measurement that is the same as, or slightly smaller than, your own chest measurement."

My bust measurement is 42" and I'm knitting the L (40").

You should make the M (36") for your DD! :thumbsup:

ArtLady1981
03-01-2008, 01:01 AM
Yup! :thumbsup: Me too Indy! Artlady and the rest of you, please forgive me if we start a little later than planned. I can't squeeze in a trip to my LYS. I was planning to go tonight, but something came up and it's too late now. :cry: I have the yarn picked on (via the internet) and will go sometime in the next week. (or two....) Thank you for your patience!

Hi Kgym! :waving:

That's fine sweetie! We will help you whenever you are ready to get going! No rush. Even if everyone is DONE with their Tempting II...I will be available to help you every step of the way!

Thanks for touching bases with us! We appreciate your thoughtfulness! :heart:

Hugs,

Artlady

Indygirl
03-01-2008, 04:40 AM
Knittingymnast, What color did you pick? Not to worry about starting right now. Some of us don't have our yarn yet either. This is going to be big fun:woohoo:

Ilove2knit
03-01-2008, 11:15 AM
I just got an email that my yarn has been shipped! :woohoo:
http://www.joann.com/joann/shop/shop_tszoom.jsp?path=http://63.210.199.180/08/07/8/80785.jpg.fpx#

I ordered TLC Cotton Plus in medium blue.

knit2btied
03-01-2008, 11:39 AM
I just got an email that my yarn has been shipped! :woohoo:
http://www.joann.com/joann/shop/shop_tszoom.jsp?path=http://63.210.199.180/08/07/8/80785.jpg.fpx#

I ordered TLC Cotton Plus in medium blue.

Yea! Anticipation! :teehee:

knittingymnast
03-01-2008, 09:36 PM
Knittingymnast, What color did you pick? Not to worry about starting right now. Some of us don't have our yarn yet either. This is going to be big fun:woohoo:

Well, I'll have to go and see what they still have in stock, but probably a nice Burgundy colour. Lemme know what you think about that.....Tell me if I should change too. Be honest!

Indygirl
03-01-2008, 09:57 PM
Well, I'll have to go and see what they still have in stock, but probably a nice Burgundy colour. Lemme know what you think about that.....Tell me if I should change too. Be honest!
Burgundy sounds great. I hope you can find that color if that's what you want. If I were making this for myself I would go with a darker color like burgundy. My D.D. looks good in the color I picked and it will look good for spring. I hope you get your yarn soon :happydance:

Indygirl
03-01-2008, 10:10 PM
I didn't go to the mail until late this evening. I thought the ups man was bringing my yarn. I found my calmer yarn for the sweater in my box.:woohoo: Should I wait for everyone else to cast on? I don't have the socks finished yet. I have my granddaughter for the weekend and I haven't had time to knit. I will work on the sock's after I get her in bed in just a short while.

knit2btied
03-02-2008, 12:33 AM
I didn't go to the mail until late this evening. I thought the ups man was bringing my yarn. I found my calmer yarn for the sweater in my box.:woohoo: Should I wait for everyone else to cast on? I don't have the socks finished yet. I have my granddaughter for the weekend and I haven't had time to knit. I will work on the sock's after I get her in bed in just a short while.

I finished one sock waiting for other peoples yarn to come in. That was my choice, though, you can probably start when you are ready! Now to get that second sock cast on! (tomorrow, maybe!)

knit2btied
03-02-2008, 12:34 AM

I love burgundy! That is the color I'm using for DD's tempting I! (It's almost finished...)

Doodknitwit
03-02-2008, 11:15 AM
I want to make DD one!! but many times I offer a pattern.."its pretty But no thanks, Mom " so 1st things first :eyes:
will let you know ... i got a swatch with 6 needles.:roflhard: :roflhard: :woohoo: ... can we say loose knitter:shrug:

:blooby: :blooby: :blooby: :blooby: :blooby:

silegose
03-02-2008, 12:46 PM
Hello everyone, I received my calmer via usps. The shipment arrived very fast. I would order from this company again!

I did go to a LYS and grab me another skein of the same color. I was taking a chance just because the dye lot could have been different but after checking they were the same :cheering: . I did look at the other colors and I think any color chosen for this project will look awsome!!

I will cast on for my swatch later today. I dont normally check guage but I will follow all steps. I need to learn how to check guage correct. Thank you for doing this KAL artlady.

happy :knitting:

ArtLady1981
03-02-2008, 02:20 PM

Hi Indy!

Be sure to knit your swatch. It will be important to the overall sizing and the yardage used. For example, if you are knitting looser than 'correct gauge'...you may run out of yarn before you're done.

Knit on Good Women! :knitting::knitting::knitting::knitting:

I am still working on my 'Something Red'...a top-down raglan cardigan.
Body is done, first sleeve is 4" in length. (Sleeves are also top-down.)
But, as I told knit2btied...I'll cast on for Tempting II on Monday morning. :knitting:

knittingymnast
03-02-2008, 03:47 PM
Actuallay, I might use this stuff. http://store.juliasyarn.com/ribbontigridiano209.html Would it work? Just asking..... The colours would look great...

ArtLady1981
03-02-2008, 04:01 PM
Actuallay, I might use this stuff. http://store.juliasyarn.com/ribbontigridiano209.html Would it work? Just asking..... The colours would look great...

Nope, wont' work Kgym! This ribbon yarn is a BULKY weight.
See the information of the yarn? I copy/pasted it right from the website:
Product Description

Content: 100% Polyester

Weight: Worsted Weight

Gauge: 3 sts / 6 rows = 1" on #7 needles

Amount: 85 meters / 95 yards / 50 grams hank

Care: Hand Wash and Dry Flat

The part that I highlighted in blue means that it is a bulky weight. 3st=1" translates/multiplies to 12st=4".

Our Tempting II top calls for yarn that is 5st=1" AKA 20st=4".
Our required yarn is called aran weight.

Keep looking/shopping for a yarn that is 5st=1" aka 20st=4" aka aran weight.

It is very important to the success of a project, especially a garment, that we use the correct yarn weight. And, after getting the correct yarn weight, that we SWATCH with different needles to get the correct gauge!

ArtLady1981
03-02-2008, 04:20 PM
Hi Knitters!

I cast on for Tempting II. I just wanted to make a couple comments with regards to the casting on stage. Most of you probably don't need this reminder, but I'll post comments along the way for all levels of experience.

1) When casting on such a huge number of stitches, I use stitch markers to "mark" every 20 stitches. What a shame to cast on 201 or 199, when you need exactly 200. Just one stitch off and your K1/P1 ribbing will be off! At the stitch marker, where the two ends meet for the first time, a K1 with bump right into another K1. ACK!

2) After casting on the required number of stitches, you will be asked to join the ends to begin the "knitting in the round" process. With such a huge number of stitches crammed on your needle (I am using a 24" Addi) it will be hard to determine if your knitting is twisted on the needle. BE SURE, before joining, that your cast-on stitches aren't "spun around" or "twisted around" on the needle!

If anyone doesn't know what I mean by comments 1) or 2)...please feel free to PM me and I will help you.

To all knitters! :knitting:

Don't be dismayed if some of us are done with swatching and are casting on. We will wait up for you! It will take some time to finish STEP 1 of the BODY...which is, after casting on...knitting the K1/P1 ribbing for umpteen inches! I am knitting the size 40"...so my BODY ribbing is 16"! Believe me, that will take days!

We won't progress to the next step until everyone meets us there, at the end of the BODY ribbing for however many inches your size needs. OK? I will just work on another project til everyone is ready to begin the body's "Next Round" (see note below):

We all need to be together for the "Next Round" step of the BODY of Tempting II, as pasted below:

Next Round: Break yarn, place next 12[14, 16, 18, 20, 22, 22] sts on waste yarn; rejoin yarn, work 60[66, 74, 82, 88, 96, 108] sts, break yarn; place next 12[14, 16, 18, 20, 22, 22] sts on waste yarn; rejoin yarn, work 60[66, 74, 82, 88, 96, 108] sts (to end of round). Do not break yarn. Set aside and make sleeves.

No one will begin "Next Round" til all of us are done with the gruesome task of knitting 13"-18" of Body ribbing! :teehee:
So, if anyone is an ultra fast ribber...have another project ready to work on while you are waiting for the rest of us to catch up! :pout:

MerigoldinWA
03-02-2008, 04:35 PM
Well, I finially ordered some yarn today. Main Street Yarns in GA said they had Calmer on sale for $9 per skein, only when I called the gal in the store said they only had one color really---some pink. Pink? No pink. So I kept looking. They said they may order some more Calmer and sell it at that price.

I consulted with DD about other color options and she liked plum, and several others might do, but I couldn't find any of them in the USA at a low price. Then last night I looked at the GA yarn store's site again and the site said they had 6 skeins of Vintage. I thought the gal might have considered it 'pink' even though it isn't (we hope). So I had DD look at the color and she liked it.

When I called them this morning (morning here but 1 pm there) she said yes they had the Vintage at $9 and they were going to order some more Calmer and sell it at $10.

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q220/JoodieKadoodie/Other%20pictures/Vintage.jpg

I'm hoping the color will be nice in person. Since shipping was free if you ordered over $50.00 worth, I bought 2 skeins of some Cascade Superwash that I hope will go with the hat DH made for our DGD. It will all ship tomorrow. Goodie, goodie. It sounds like a lot of you have yarn in hand or on the way. Exciting!

ArtLady1981
03-02-2008, 04:42 PM
Well, I finally ordered some yarn today....
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q220/JoodieKadoodie/Other%20pictures/Vintage.jpg

I'm hoping the color will be nice in person.

Well, if my opinion counts for anything I LOVE THIS COLOR you got!
Very classy, very subtle, very nice! And, the color will complement many colors of skirts, jeans, capris, slacks, or shorts she might have in her closet!!

Thanks for sharing! Way to go Merigold! You scored a good price, too. Calmer typically sells for about $12 per skein. Close-out or discontinued colors can sell for $6. So you did good! Ya hafta get the color DD will wear! ;)

mimi
03-02-2008, 04:51 PM
ArtLady, your Knit-Along is really growing now. By last count we are:
ArtLady, Merigold, KG, IndyGirl, Silegose, Knit2btied, Ilove2knit, Doodlknit, Mimi. I may be making two of these because my daughter-in-law liked the pattern, and she is choosing a color in calmer that she likes. (One at a time, however).

My yarn should come tomorrow, and the best part is, that my boss is going fishing on Wednesday so I will be all alone in the office with nothing to do . . . . any ideas?

ArtLady1981
03-02-2008, 05:21 PM
ArtLady, your Knit-Along is really growing now. By last count we are:
ArtLady, Merigold, KG, IndyGirl, Silegose, Knit2btied, Ilove2knit, Doodlknit, Mimi. I may be making two of these because my daughter-in-law liked the pattern, and she is choosing a color in calmer that she likes. (One at a time, however).

My yarn should come tomorrow, and the best part is, that my boss is going fishing on Wednesday so I will be all alone in the office with nothing to do . . . . any ideas?

Nope, no idea whatsoever!! :roflhard:

Yeah, if I like the fit of this top, I might make several in different colors and different yarn types. It looks like it will go well under suit jackets, cardigans, etc. Sometimes I get tired of wearing blouses and shirts under my suit jackets and cardigans. I like the idea of sleeveless tops that are not lingerie-looking.

And YES, we have 9 participants so far! You listed them correctly!

We have 3 maybes: lelvsdgs, samsam, and knitmama.
They posted comments, but I'm not sure they are commited to this KAL.
They might be too busy with another KAL.

Indygirl
03-02-2008, 06:25 PM
Hi Indy!

Be sure to knit your swatch. It will be important to the overall sizing and the yardage used. For example, if you are knitting looser than 'correct gauge'...you may run out of yarn before you're done.

Artlady, I replyed to this once. I don't know what happened to it :shrug: Anyway. I sure will check the gauge. I'm having eye surgery in the morning. I guess I'll not be casting on until maybe tue. sometime. Thanks for the reminder and all the help.

Knit on Good Women! :knitting::knitting::knitting::knitting:

I am still working on my 'Something Red'...a top-down raglan cardigan.
Body is done, first sleeve is 4" in length. (Sleeves are also top-down.)
But, as I told knit2btied...I'll cast on for Tempting II on Monday morning. :knitting:.

ArtLady1981
03-02-2008, 07:27 PM
GROUP HUG for Indygirl!!!! :grphug: Best of luck on the eye surgery!
We'll see ya later next week! Take care!!

knit2btied
03-02-2008, 07:33 PM
Yes, Indy, hope all goes well for the surgery! I think if I weren't a coward I'd be jealous of new eyesight for knitting! (smile)

silegose
03-03-2008, 12:33 AM
Indy... I hope all goes well for you. Take it easy once your home!!

Ok.. Here is a question. When casting on that many stitches is it better to do the knitted cast on or the tail?

knit2btied
03-03-2008, 12:46 AM
I don't know the knitted cast on. (I'm not that coordinated) I do know that you will want some stretch with the cast since the top is ribbed. Does the knitted cast leave enough stretch?

silegose
03-03-2008, 12:52 AM
I honestly don't know:shrug: but it seems if you dont want to cast on 100 times :teehee: that the knitted cast on seems to make sense. I'm just not sure. It's just a thought hmmm. I did make gauge though. :cheering:

knit2btied
03-03-2008, 12:55 AM
Hey making gauge counts! Congratulations! I'm sure ArtLady will know about the cast. Did you check if she is on tonight? You could try to PM her.

silegose
03-03-2008, 01:02 AM
I'm sure she will. It's not like I have to cast on right now. I do have a sock to work on and a sweater that I dont like. I'm thinking about frogging the sweater.

mimi
03-03-2008, 08:56 AM
Indy, if you are reading this, then you are over the procedure. So stay calm, and you will recover faster. In the meantime, we are all waiting for ArtLady to tell us what kind of cast-on is best.

And Merigold, I just LOVE that color.

Won't this be fun?!

Indygirl
03-03-2008, 09:21 AM
mimi, Yes I am reading this. I go in at 8:45am. I had a procedure done a while back. They need to correct something. It should go fine. I had the other eye done last Monday. Thanks! I'll be back before you know it ;)

suzeeq
03-03-2008, 10:30 AM
Yes, the knitted CO can be stretchy. Any CO can, you just have to make it loose.

silegose
03-03-2008, 11:16 AM
Thank you Suzeeq. :muah:

Doodknitwit
03-03-2008, 11:23 AM
DD doesn't like the buckle.....:shrug:

mimi
03-03-2008, 12:02 PM
Doodknitwit, I think ArtLady is making hers without a buckle, too, so she can best you advise you. Please join us!

Doodknitwit
03-03-2008, 12:06 PM
super!!! I first have to find some yarn for DD :)

Ilove2knit
03-03-2008, 12:14 PM
I think I might make mine without the buckle as well. I'll just make the tails longer on that part, so I can tie them. I just have to decide whether I want to tie them in a square knot, or a bow...probably a knot. I also plan on making the sleeves shorter than the pattern says; it gets too hot in Texas for sleeves in the summer, and I don't want to have to wait until October to be able to wear this top. ;)

ArtLady1981
03-03-2008, 04:19 PM
Indy... I hope all goes well for you. Take it easy once your home!!

Ok.. Here is a question. When casting on that many stitches is it better to do the knitted cast on or the tail?

I do long-tail for everything! It is neat, stretchy and easy to work with for the first row. I have tried the knit-on cast-on...but felt uncomfortable with it...so scrapped that! If it ain't broken, why fix it? Right? So I just use the longtail because it works for me and I am used to it. I usually get the length right, too...but for Tempting II and 200 st cast on, I freaked and measured out more than enough! Trimmed off the excess after working 1" on the ribbing...and will save it for later use if needed.

ArtLady1981
03-03-2008, 04:26 PM
Thanks, Suzeeq, for keeping an eye on this KAL... and for your expert input whenever and wherever needed!

Why dontcha join us for this KAL??? :cheering:

Indygirl
03-03-2008, 08:22 PM
I'm home, Things went very well with the surgery. EYE will be casting on in a few days. I go back in a week to make sure all is well. I did do my swatch last night. Got gauge w/ #8 needle.
I knit some on the socks at the eye center before they put the drops in, have just a little to go on those.Will finish those up before I cast on for temp.II

MerigoldinWA
03-03-2008, 08:45 PM
My DD doesn't want the buckle either, she just wants the band going all the way around. I think I know what that will involve, but I'm not sure... a temporary cast on, and kitchener stitch maybe.

Mimi, thanks on the color. I like a lot of the other colors I've seen and this one not that much, but it is growing on me. :-)

Lately I've been using a Twisted German cast on for things that need a lot of stretch like socks, glove cuffs and hat bands. I think that might be the one I'll use. It is a cousin of the long tail cast on, so you have to guess-ta-mate a long tail for it too.

Indy, I'm glad things went well. Take it easy for a few days.

mimi
03-03-2008, 09:26 PM
Glad you are home, Indy, now just lie back, relax, and rest up.

My yarn came today - Calmer in sour - and it is a very LIVELY color, indeed! And I like it more and more each time I look at it.

knit2btied
03-03-2008, 10:20 PM
Indy, glad to hear everything went well. I finished my pair of socks and have casted on in Mimi's color. It is bright, huh Mimi?

ArtLady1981
03-03-2008, 10:25 PM
Ohhhhhh nooooo! Sour is a LIVELY color!?? Oh no! I feel a yarn purchase sneaking up on me! HELP! I am supposed to be on the Stash Wagon!!!

Glad your eye surgery went well, Indy! Welcome home! Glad you got in a few last stitches while waiting in the doc office! :teehee:

Merigold, don't worry! We'll figure out what to do about that band where the buckle goes at the top of the piece.

Hey, maybe an interesting button could be sewn on?? Let's not discount that! Might be an interesting look.

I'm still of a mind to try the little square knot thing.

But, the button is a good thought, too. Just sew in on and it will look like the top is buttoned there.

Now I feel like running up to Joann's to look at buttons! :doh:

knit2btied
03-03-2008, 10:28 PM
Ohhhhhh nooooo! Sour is a LIVELY color!?? Oh no! I feel a yarn purchase sneaking up on me! HELP! I am supposed to be on the Stash Wagon!!!

:roflhard:

suzeeq
03-03-2008, 10:44 PM
Ahhh, this sweater isn't my style. But I'll be glad to help out when I can. Anyways, I have a buncha things piling up due to knitting ADD (ooh that looks cool, I want to do that one....)

Indygirl
03-03-2008, 11:25 PM
Ahhh, this sweater isn't my style. But I'll be glad to help out when I can. Anyways, I have a buncha things piling up due to knitting ADD (ooh that looks cool, I want to do that one....)
It isn't my style either. My D.D. is a small person and I think it will look nice on her.

suzeeq
03-03-2008, 11:29 PM
Yes I'm largish too, and anyway, I want my knit sweaters with long sleeves, I get much too warm internally to wear a short sleeve knit - I've tried them. And for summer knits it's a light yarn in a tank style top.

mimi
03-04-2008, 11:30 AM
A question: after getting gague on our swatch, should we wash and dry it and re-measure, or isn't it necessary with cotton yarn?

knit2btied
03-04-2008, 01:08 PM
I hope it isn't necessary, as I didn't...

Doodknitwit
03-04-2008, 01:30 PM
having challenges//DD didn't like the color of yarn I got the right gauge with..and doesn't come in the colors she wants... :shrug:

If I can't find the right yarn tomorrow I'll be too far behind for this KAL:eyes:

:hair:

mimi
03-04-2008, 02:04 PM
Don't give up! Please join us !!!

Ilove2knit
03-04-2008, 02:08 PM
Yes, don't give up! You won't be too far behind. I haven't even gotten my yarn yet; I'm hoping it comes today.

silegose
03-04-2008, 05:27 PM
doodknitwit... Dont worry to much. It took me just about an hour to knit 2 rounds.. Yes that is a 2. I can see the rib part is a very time intensive labor. But the out come will be well worth the work!

Indygirl
03-04-2008, 05:46 PM
:woot: I'm getting ready to cast on. I'm going to try something a friend told me about. If you are going to be knitting in the rib. Use the long tail cast on. You measure 3 times the inches of your size +6 inches of yarn. Holding two needles together casting on. This should give you just the right amount of yarn for your cast on. Lets see if it works.

knit2btied
03-04-2008, 05:58 PM
I measure long-tail by giving it about a foot for each 20 stiches... It works pretty well for Aran or for worsted weight yarn.

Indygirl
03-04-2008, 06:08 PM
:cheering: It worked! It also has a very nice loose cast on. I think that will be great for knitting rib. After I cast the stitches on I just pulled out the one needle.

knit2btied
03-04-2008, 06:11 PM
Yea!!! Congratulations!

silegose
03-04-2008, 06:42 PM
I didnt knit a very loose cast on. I hope it wont make a diffence. hmmmmm

silegose
03-04-2008, 06:43 PM
indy... I do that kind of cast on for socks. But never thought about it for other projects... silly me

knittingymnast
03-04-2008, 07:16 PM
I got the yarn, now all I gotta do is swatch!! I plan to do that tonight........Hey, Artlady? How are ya doin' with your Tempting II?

Indygirl
03-04-2008, 07:20 PM
This is the first time I have done this cast on. Sometimes my cast on and off are a little tight. I tend to knit tight too. So I wanted to make the allowance for that as well.

knit2btied
03-04-2008, 08:39 PM
I got the yarn, now all I gotta do is swatch!! I plan to do that tonight........Hey, Artlady? How are ya doin' with your Tempting II?

:woot: What kind of yarn and color did you get gymnast?

ArtLady1981
03-04-2008, 09:04 PM
A question: after getting gauge on our swatch, should we wash and dry it and re-measure, or isn't it necessary with cotton yarn?

I didn't.

I think we'll be ok. If you're knitting with cotton, you'll handwash the garment, and lay flat to dry, anyways. You can always block it to size while it's drying.

1) The only time I have washed and blocked a swatch was to check its performance in the washer/dryer.
2) One other time to see if the yarn would "bloom", becoming less mesh-y looking, and soften up.
3) Another time, I wanted to see if the st st would 'even out' with blocking. (it did)

I cast on yesterday, knitted about an inch...then forced myself to focus on my "Something Red" cardigan. I was having issues with the top-down sleeve. Got one whole sleeve done...cast off...and tried it on...ACK! The sleeve was way too loose and fat! So I frogged it all...and re-knit it, decreasing a lot of stitches in the first few rows. And, when I finally got it done this morning at 2am...I fell into bed with crossed eyes!

While I was waiting in the Honda Service Center today (4-wheel alignment, brakes and oil change) I worked on Tempting II. Got one whole skein knitted up...110 yds...and it is looking good. That ribbing is a challenge! If it wasn' sunny, I think I could have falled asleep! Well, that and the fact that I was in a public waiting room!

When I got home, I put down Tempting and picked up Someting Red.
I am 1/4 into the 2nd sleeve.

My Tempting ribbing is measuring 2.5" for the first skein. That represents 4 hours of knitting. sigh. Am going to finish Something Red this week, and will take Tempting to a KNIT IN at my LYS Friday night from 5pm-8pm. Easy to work on and chat at the same time.

I also studied the pattern for Tempting today...and have the sleeve/body join clearly in mind, as well as the yoke ribbing. But the application of the top band (on which we see the buckle) is a new technique to me, but I think I "get it". It will be challenging and fun!

knittingymnast
03-04-2008, 09:22 PM
It's Patons Classic Merino Wool in colorway Paprika. Don't worry. It's more a burgundy that BRIGHT RED.

knittingymnast
03-04-2008, 09:25 PM
Doodknitwit, please join us! Even if we are all finished with our Tempting II's, we would still encourage you along! I think this KAL is going quickly think this KAL will go on for a while. Anyway, I could start a second, too! :woot:

ArtLady1981
03-04-2008, 09:38 PM
Yes, I agree with Kgym! Our KAL will carry on for a while. And, if I like this pattern, and I think I will...I might make one or two more!

I'm like that. If I find a good basic pattern, I'll make it over and over in different yarns and colors!

knit2btied
03-05-2008, 10:53 AM
I finished my first skein. 4.5 inches. At that rate I'll have to be careful to have enough yarn...

gymnast Burgundy sounds wonderful!

I was thinking that this top could be made in many colors and threads too.

mimi
03-05-2008, 11:34 AM
I'm thinking I might need more yarn, too. What size needles did you get gague on. I had to go up to 9.

knit2btied
03-05-2008, 12:38 PM
I got gauge with 8 needles. I'm going by how many inches there are in my size pattern divided by how many balls of yarn I have...

I purchased 6 balls instead of 5 and it looks like I'll have to be careful to be able to finish with the 6.

jeanius80
03-05-2008, 02:28 PM
found this yarn (http://yarn.com/webs/0/0/0/0-1001-1294-1323/0/0/4332/) on WEBS (yarn.com) Looks great. I really want to do this KAL, but.. i just bought a bunch of wool to knit the Central Park Hoodie! I'll be watching from the side lines :)

jeanius80
03-05-2008, 03:30 PM
how strange!(your post showed up as an edit by you on my last post...)

anyhow.. i did find this blog post about the neckline .. seems it has a tendency to fall off shoulders, and she did correct it!

The modifications needed to make the neckline right are to k2tog all the way around the last row of the yoke (instead of k2tog, k1, as written), and to pick up a stitch from that row on the WS of the knitted-on neckband and p2tog at the beginning of each WS row.

blogger post (http://www.bearfootden.com/wordpress/?p=5600)

I am definantly going to knit this later this summer. I need to finish a few more large projects to clear out some of my stash :)

ArtLady1981
03-05-2008, 03:35 PM
found this yarn (http://yarn.com/webs/0/0/0/0-1001-1294-1323/0/0/4332/) on WEBS (yarn.com) Looks great. I really want to do this KAL, but.. i just bought a bunch of wool to knit the Central Park Hoodie! I'll be watching from the side lines :)

Hi Jeannie! The yarn you found on WEBS is too heavy. It is heavy worsted wt with gauge of 16st=4" (aka 4"=1") We need more of an aran worsted with 20st=4" (aka 5st=1") But thanks for keeping tabs on us!

I bought some yarn for another CPH, too! Debbie Bliss Donegal Luxury Tweed in denim blue. Will start it after Tempting II is finished! WhooHoo! I might start a fresh CPH/KAL for it when the time comes. The other CPH/KAL should be finished by then.

I think it is nice when knitters in a KAL are all together in their progress, or about at the same place in the pattern.

ArtLady1981
03-05-2008, 03:38 PM
how strange!(your post showed up as an edit by you on my last post...)

Sorry! :aww: I hit the wrong button to reply to you! Being on the Mod Squad, we have different buttons visible to us...and I hit EDIT...instead of reply with quote!

I fixed it! I moved my reply out of your post! Doh! :doh:But now my reply to you is below your re-reply to me!

Oh well, we know what we mean! :cheering:

And a BIG THANKS for the information about the neckline for our KAL!
I'm gonna print it out and tinker with it when I get to the neckline application!

ArtLady1981
03-05-2008, 03:55 PM
This (http://silverknits.blogspot.com/2006/07/fo-tempting-ii.html) blogger finished a wonderful Tempting II summer top, and she also mentions the K2T all the way around the last yoke row (instead of K2T, K1, as written).

Read her notes...they are very helpful...and BTW...she says the pattern is very easy and she'd do it again! And, her Tempting II is a wonderful fit! It looks perfect! She applied a button instead of the buckle.

knit2btied
03-05-2008, 04:00 PM
Her top does look really good on her. I like the way she finished it, too...

ArtLady1981
03-05-2008, 04:10 PM
I think the knitter who did hers in green (Jeanius80 posted a link to the blog) was knitting really loose. I wonder if she did a gauge swatch?!

Besides that, she was taking a picture of what hers looks like BEFORE doing the modification along the last row of the yoke.

Don't panic, knitters! Ours won't turn out like the green one!

Ours will turn out just fine!

Thanks again Jeanie, for alerting us about that neckline modification.

Since your post, I googled the words "Tempting II knit" and came up with several links to our Tempting II and lots of photos of WELL DONE tops! One lady did her neckband in a multiple criss-crossing cable! See below!

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/58/195046576_0ed8be4b57.jpg?v=0

Here's a woman who knit hers to be a very high neckline!
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/98/217238170_670fbb7395.jpg?v=0

And here is the way I want mine to look!
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/97/230939389_daea923d5b.jpg?v=0

ArtLady1981
03-05-2008, 04:19 PM
Here is a Tempting II top that is a little too big IMHO. She either knit a size too big for her, or she wanted it too big on purpose. She also seems to have also knitted it longer than called for. I don't think she knows about that 'last yoke row' modification! (the knitter says, in her blog notes, that she is not happy with the neckline)

Anyway, it is so important to swatch and pay attention to gauge!

Remember, the pattern says to chose a size that is a bit smaller than your chest/bust size.

She still does look nice in her Tempting II!
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/3589/1249/1600/SexyKAL.0.jpg

ArtLady1981
03-05-2008, 06:04 PM
The Tempting II link posted by Jeanius80 shows the BIG GREEN MONSTER...but doesn't show the RE-KNITTED VERSION!

I found it on Ravelry!

Here is the BEFORE:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/187/438302879_e2b92fa431.jpg?v=0

Here is the AFTER (as posted on her Ravelry project page!) Much better!
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/176/446774552_c715efcab5.jpg

Looks like she has a dyelot issue going on! The yoke is a different shade of green.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/173/446780941_0017e03102.jpg

knit2btied
03-05-2008, 06:10 PM
The yoke seems to match below the waist which is different than the breast part...

ArtLady1981
03-05-2008, 06:33 PM
For Our Ravelers: I highly recommend that you view all 8 pages of the Tempting II projects. Just click on PATTERNS and type in Tempting II. You will see a variety of comments, and a variety of success stories, and failures as well.

Most knitters agree on this: They love Calmer. They agree that you should knit the size that is smaller than your chest/bust measurement. They agree that you need to decrease more on that last row of the yoke (K2Tog all the way around...not K2tog, K1 as written). Many comments about the buckle flopping over. (Maybe because their buckle was too heavy in the first place.)

One girl made hers with long sleeves, and 2x2 ribbing. Real nice!

I've changed my mind about the square knot. I didn't see one knot that I liked. But I did see lots of buckles and buttons that looked great. Some of the knitters did lace at the top. Some of the knitters wove the two ends of the neckband together.

ArtLady1981
03-05-2008, 06:35 PM
The yoke seems to match below the waist which is different than the breast part...

Oh you're right! Yup, she definitely had dyelot issues.

Oh well, some knitters prefer to have two shades going! :shrug:

Indygirl
03-05-2008, 07:28 PM
I think the knitter who did hers in green (Jeanius80 posted a link to the blog) was knitting really loose. I wonder if she did a gauge swatch?!

Besides that, she was taking a picture of what hers looks like BEFORE doing the modification along the last row of the yoke.

Don't panic, knitters! Ours won't turn out like the green one!

Ours will turn out just fine!

Thanks again Jeanie, for alerting us about that neckline modification.

Since your post, I googled the words "Tempting II knit" and came up with several links to our Tempting II and lots of photos of WELL DONE tops! One lady did her neckband in a multiple criss-crossing cable! See below!

Here's a woman who knit hers to be a very high neckline!
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/98/217238170_670fbb7395.jpg?v=0

And here is the way I want mine to look!
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/97/230939389_daea923d5b.jpg?v=0 I really like all of these. Maybe if my D.D.'s turns out ok I'll make one for me. I would want to make mine with a higher neckline. :thumbsup:

MerigoldinWA
03-05-2008, 10:04 PM
My yarn came today!! It seems a little more lavender than I expected, but is still light. I only got 4 skeins, I hope that is going to be enough.

I wonder if reading about other's results with Tempting 2, has anyone mentioned length? My DD thought, on looking at the one at Knitty, that it looked too short. She likes to wear those low cut jeans and wants it to come down and cover her tummy (nothing sticking out). Is it going to be long enough to do that, or do I need to make it longer and if I do that am I going to run out of yarn? I'm making the 32 and DD measures 33 3/4 braless. The pattern doesn't actually say to make it two inches smaller than your bust, but "slightly" smaller. I think there was a 32 and then a 36, so nothing slightly smaller without going to the 32. I thought of making the gauge slightly "off" to make it slightly bigger, but I'm beginning to worry about running out of yarn and I haven't even cast on. LOL

knit2btied
03-05-2008, 10:07 PM
Merigold-It sounds like the 32 size would be closest to you DD size to me. But that is just my thoughts... Are you using calmer?

silegose
03-05-2008, 11:35 PM
Well after reading some of the good and bad stories about this project. I frogged what I had done already about 9 rows or so. I went down one more size .. I would rather have it a little to small and have to lose the weight then it be to BIG...LOL. Lets hope the 4th time is the charm on this one.

knit2btied
03-05-2008, 11:43 PM
Another trip to the frog pond... (splash) I spend my share of time there....

ArtLady1981
03-05-2008, 11:59 PM
My yarn came today!! It seems a little more lavender than I expected, but is still light. I only got 4 skeins, I hope that is going to be enough.

I wonder if reading about other's results with Tempting 2, has anyone mentioned length? My DD thought, on looking at the one at Knitty, that it looked too short. She likes to wear those low cut jeans and wants it to come down and cover her tummy (nothing sticking out). Is it going to be long enough to do that, or do I need to make it longer and if I do that am I going to run out of yarn? I'm making the 32 and DD measures 33 3/4 braless. The pattern doesn't actually say to make it two inches smaller than your bust, but "slightly" smaller. I think there was a 32 and then a 36, so nothing slightly smaller without going to the 32. I thought of making the gauge slightly "off" to make it slightly bigger, but I'm beginning to worry about running out of yarn and I haven't even cast on. LOL

I agree with knit2btied. I think the 32" will be perfect for your DD.
The blogs all say that they wish they had trusted the pattern and knit a size smaller than their chest measurement.

Also, another thing the blogs are saying: numerous knitters ran out of yarn. I think it might be caused by the fact that many knitters don't do a gauge swatch before embarking on this sweater. In other words..."their personal gauge" is sucking up more of the yarn than the model.

If we all do our gauge swatches...and come out with a perfect 20st = 4" in st st...or as close to perfect as possible...we will not run out of yarn.

Merigold, if your DD wants a longer version than the model...I suggest you grab another skein of yarn while it's still available in your color and dyelot.

I forget...are you using Calmer? Did you just buy 4 skeins, or did you buy 5? If you are working with Calmer for the size 32"...and you bought 5 skeins...you should be ok to make it longer.

Why don't you knit up your sleeves FIRST...then the neckband...and the remaining yarn can all be dedicated to the body. Just an idea.

Ilove2knit
03-06-2008, 12:23 AM
My yarn arrived today! :woohoo: It is a beautiful medium blue; TLC Cotton Plus. I swatched first, and cast on. I love the feel of this yarn; it's so soft! I've gotten about 1 inch of the ribbing done so far.
I'm rethinking what I want to do with the yoke. I haven't found a buckle I like, and I'm not so sure about a knot either. I might just make it decorative. Do you think seed stitch would work? Would I need to also work in some decreases to make it lie flat if I used seed stitch?
I was also wondering if it would work to not do actual sleeves. If I bound off those underarm stitches instead, then used a knit caston for the shoulders...would that work? I'm still pretty new to knitting, but I can't help thinking of ways to make an item unique. :knitting:

ArtLady1981
03-06-2008, 12:39 AM
My yarn arrived today! :woohoo: It is a beautiful medium blue; TLC Cotton Plus. I swatched first, and cast on. I love the feel of this yarn; it's so soft! I've gotten about 1 inch of the ribbing done so far.
I'm rethinking what I want to do with the yoke. I haven't found a buckle I like, and I'm not so sure about a knot either. I might just make it decorative. Do you think seed stitch would work? Would I need to also work in some decreases to make it lie flat if I used seed stitch?
I was also wondering if it would work to not do actual sleeves. If I bound off those underarm stitches instead, then used a knit caston for the shoulders...would that work? I'm still pretty new to knitting, but I can't help thinking of ways to make an item unique. :knitting:

Seed stitch for which part? The last few inches of the yoke?
The neckline? The neck band?

If you make seed stitch for any part of the yoke, you will need to work in decreases MORE THAN USUAL to compensate for the fact that you won't have the natural tendency of the 1x1 rib to become narrower by its nature...its natural tendency to 'draw together'.

But, I'm not real sure of the area you're trying to re-design with seed stitch.

I don't have any advice for you if you decide to eliminate the sleeves altogether. Maybe your NEXT Tempting II?

For this one, I'm just kinda sticking to the design.

Anyone else want to weigh in on a sleeveless version? IMHO...a sleeveless Tempting II is just a basic "tube top", isn't it?

Doodknitwit
03-06-2008, 01:17 AM
:wall: DD has baby showers gifts she wants me to make...:X:
looks like i'll sit this one out :tap:

ArtLady1981
03-06-2008, 01:55 AM
HEY THERE!

I had a lightbulb moment!

I finished one full skein of yarn tonight. (my skeins are only 110 yds whereas Calmer is 175 yds) I measured the total length from cast on edge. I got 8cm (3.125") from one skein.

I need to reach 40cm to begin doing the sleeves and yoke application.

This means that I will need 5 skeins to reach the 40 cm (16") before I begin the sleeves and yoke.

I have 9 skeins. Five needed for the body only...the 4 remaining will be enough to do the sleeves, yoke and neckband.

So, dear knitters, when you have knit up one full skein of whatever yarn you are working with, stop and measure how many inches or cm you got.

Then just do the math! :thumbsup:

mare-nitt
03-06-2008, 07:47 AM
I have been reading this thread for the last few days, and I love this sweater. You guys are giving alot of useful tips and really helping each other.
Question, is anyone making the size XL. I am worried about the fit. I am a tight knitter, no matter what I try that is my comfort level. So, I am afraid to go down a size, I don't want it too snug, I want it comfortable.
I am a 38, there is no way I would go to a 36. Maybe this isn't the sweater for me. But you guys are sure making this tempting for me to try.
Can't wait to see pics.

GiddyKnitter
03-06-2008, 09:29 AM
Mare-knitt

I was thinking along those lines. I am very tempted to do the Temping II also...I just happen to have about 8 balls of Rowan Calmer in lilac in my stash. The thing is I am a 38D and don't like anything to tight across my chest to emphasize my boobs! I think it would probably look better in a darker colour for my size. Having said that I could always knit it for my DD. What do you all think? xx

suzeeq
03-06-2008, 10:28 AM
The thing is, if you make it baggy in your chest, it makes you look bigger all over. So a little negative ease is really a good thing.

mimi
03-06-2008, 10:28 AM
Pauline, join us ! Scroll up to where Indy posted the photos, and there is a dark Tempting II and it looks beautiful.
Knit2btied, I spend most of my day in and out of the frog pond, and ArtLady, I just LOVE your idea about doing the math after skein#1. Your enthusiasm is just so contagious!

Ilove2knit
03-06-2008, 11:11 AM
Seed stitch for which part? The last few inches of the yoke?
The neckline? The neck band?

If you make seed stitch for any part of the yoke, you will need to work in decreases MORE THAN USUAL to compensate for the fact that you won't have the natural tendency of the 1x1 rib to become narrower by its nature...its natural tendency to 'draw together'.

But, I'm not real sure of the area you're trying to re-design with seed stitch.

I don't have any advice for you if you decide to eliminate the sleeves altogether. Maybe your NEXT Tempting II?

For this one, I'm just kinda sticking to the design.

Anyone else want to weigh in on a sleeveless version? IMHO...a sleeveless Tempting II is just a basic "tube top", isn't it?

I was thinking of using seed stitch for the neck band. Hmmm...maybe I'll have to practice on something else to see if it would work. And about the sleeves...I guess I wasn't very clear. I was thinking of skipping the part where you knit the sleeves separately and then join them to the body. My idea (I don't know if I'll actually do it, or even if it would work) was to bind off those underarm stitches, then cast on the number you would have had if you had added the sleeves, and then just continue with the pattern, so that it would be like a band across the shoulders, but without sleeves. I think I'll just have to experiment with some junk yarn, to see how it would look, before I actually get to that part on my Tempting 2. I'll let you know how it goes.

knit2btied
03-06-2008, 11:13 AM
Marenitt,

I made Tempting I for my DD who is a 39. I made it size 40, and it just fits without being too snug. I'm making the same size again for Tempting II since we don't want to go down 3 sizes... She doesn't want it to be tight.

We'll see how it does, but if it fits like Tempting I, we'll be happy.

knit2btied
03-06-2008, 11:16 AM
Doodknitwit,

Are you sure we can't persuade you to jump in? We were looking forward to you being with us! If not, baby knitting is fun too...

Doodknitwit
03-06-2008, 12:27 PM
Doodknitwit,

Are you sure we can't persuade you to jump in? We were looking forward to you being with us! If not, baby knitting is fun too...

DD has a deadline for the baby gifts... i'm :X: like mad...:eyes:
if i can find a yarn i may be tempted to try to catch up
since I work fulll time time is ltd.. :wall:

GiddyKnitter
03-06-2008, 02:48 PM
Pauline, join us ! Scroll up to where Indy posted the photos, and there is a dark Tempting II and it looks beautiful.
Knit2btied, I spend most of my day in and out of the frog pond, and ArtLady, I just LOVE your idea about doing the math after skein#1. Your enthusiasm is just so contagious!

Yes mimi I saw the photo's and I have to say I really like the darker one. :heart: I can feel I trip the yarn shop comming on! I might just be able to start it at the weekend and try and catch you guys up! :woot:

Indygirl
03-06-2008, 04:59 PM
Mare-knitt

I was thinking along those lines. I am very tempted to do the Temping II also...I just happen to have about 8 balls of Rowan Calmer in lilac in my stash. The thing is I am a 38D and don't like anything to tight across my chest to emphasize my boobs! I think it would probably look better in a darker colour for my size. Having said that I could always knit it for my DD. What do you all think? xx Join in with us. That's what I'm doing. I'm knitting it for my d.d. I'm a little afraid it might be to big for her. I've read up on these post. She is not big busted like her maw :oops: and she is 37 in' around the bust. I'm knitting the size med. What to do, what to do.....

ArtLady1981
03-06-2008, 06:41 PM
I have been reading this thread for the last few days, and I love this sweater. You guys are giving alot of useful tips and really helping each other.
Question, is anyone making the size XL. I am worried about the fit. I am a tight knitter, no matter what I try that is my comfort level. So, I am afraid to go down a size, I don't want it too snug, I want it comfortable.
I am a 38, there is no way I would go to a 36. Maybe this isn't the sweater for me. But you guys are sure making this tempting for me to try.
Can't wait to see pics.

If you're a tight knitter, that tightness is offset by using bigger needles when knitting your gauge swatch.

For example...I get 20st=4" using a US8 needle. I knit normal.
If you knit tight...you might need to use a US 9 or US 10 for your gauge swatch. Knit a swatch that is 22 st wide...with a US9...then measure the middle 20 st. They should measure 4".
If it measures less than 4"...re-knit the swatch with a US10.
Measure the middle 20 st and it should measure 4"!

The pattern is very certain that we should knit the size that is at least an inch smaller than our actual bust measurement. And all the bloggers say the same thing.

Hope you can join us! :grphug:

ArtLady1981
03-06-2008, 07:05 PM
Hi Ilove2knit! :waving:

I really really want to encourage you to knit the sleeves as set forth in the pattern.

I tried to follow your re-design idea, and I just can't figure out what the benefit is. :??

Is it that you don't understand (conceptualize) how the sleeves will be joined in with the yoke (when we get there)?

I didn't either (on Tempting Version I)...but let me assure you...it is real easy...and I intend to make a diagram, take a digital photo of it...and post it here for all to view. I will also take digital photos of my actual work at that joining stage.

Sometimes when knitters begin to re-design the basics of a sweater...they create more headaches for themselves than it's worth! :eyes:

Let me assure you...the 18 st along one side of the sleeves (that are put on waste yarn...are very easy to join to the side of the body's 18 st on waste yarn using the 3-needle bind-off. Just super easy.

Please consider giving this pattern, as written, a chance to work itself out! ;)

MerigoldinWA
03-06-2008, 08:37 PM
I'm using Calmer. I have never used a yarn that has so much stretch. :?? I've decided to knit it without pulling on it at all and am getting gauge on the 8.

My gauge changes sometimes when I knit in the round (especially with dpns, sometimes I go up a needle size then to stay in gauge). I've started out with the 160 stitches now, but don't know for sure yet if the gauge is staying on. Also the gauge is in st st and the knitting is in rib, but the gauge is suppose to be the same in the rib as in st st. :shrug: (160 stitches divided by 20 is 8 and eight times 2 is 32") I'm not sure why they said make the gauge in st st, maybe because it is easier to measure. I always thought working in rib would make the gauge bigger, but maybe that is a fallacy that stems from the fact that we usually want ribbing at the bottom of sweaters to be done on a needle 2 sizes smaller (but maybe that is just so it will pull in a bit). But it still seems to me that when ribbing and st st are worked on the same needle that the ribbing looks bigger. Maybe it just seems that way but isn't.

I am doing the 32. I have only 4 skeins. I'm thinking of trying to order another one, but now I'll have to pay shipping, and if I'd ordered it in the first place, I wouldn't have. This is so hard on a cheap skate. :lol: The 36 also calls for 4 skeins so maybe I can squeak by.

ArtLady1981
03-06-2008, 08:55 PM
I'm using Calmer.....
I am doing the 32. I have only 4 skeins. I'm thinking of trying to order another one, but now I'll have to pay shipping, and if I'd ordered it in the first place, I wouldn't have. This is so hard on a cheap skate. :lol: The 36 also calls for 4 skeins so maybe I can squeak by.

IMHO...if 4 skeins are needed for size 36...you will have yarn to spare with the size 32.

After knitting one full skein of your body ribbing, measure how many inches your top is from the cast on edge. From this measurement, you should be able to see how far you can get by the end of thd 2nd skein, etc.

Me thinks you'll be ok!

mare-nitt
03-07-2008, 07:28 AM
Would Elan Katia Jet Yarn work for this?

GiddyKnitter
03-07-2008, 09:37 AM
Hi all.
Right I have casted on Tempting II using Rowan Calmer shade 484 Lilac. Just happened to have 6 balls in my stash like you do!! I am doing the size 40"....I hope to be able to catch up with you all but wait for me as I know I am late starting xxx

mimi
03-07-2008, 10:10 AM
I'm glad you jumped on the wagon, Pauline. I, too, am using calmer in the "sour" shade, it is actually a light, but lively, lime! After finally getting gague with a 9, I knit 2" last night, so you are not far behind at all. Don't you just love this yarn?

GiddyKnitter
03-07-2008, 11:13 AM
I'm glad you jumped on the wagon, Pauline. I, too, am using calmer in the "sour" shade, it is actually a light, but lively, lime! After finally getting gague with a 9, I knit 2" last night, so you are not far behind at all. Don't you just love this yarn?

Hi mimi
Yes I love Calmer I have used it a couple of time before.
In my previous thread I said wait for me I actually meant DONT wait for me as I am late starting!! what I am like?
I bet the sour colour is lovely really nice for the spring/summer months. I have actually knitted three rows now.x

silegose
03-07-2008, 12:06 PM
Hello all..

Pauline I wouldnt worry about being behind. This ribbing is going to take for EVER!! LOL... I havent even finished one skein yet. I just make sure I do something on it everyday. ex. If I want to watch something on TV I knit this, No thinking needed...LOL..

Glad you joined us.

knit2btied
03-07-2008, 01:31 PM

Mare-nitt

It sounds like the Katia Jet is made of the same thing as the calmer. The calmer is 75 cotton, 25 acrylic so it's just a little difference.

knit2btied
03-07-2008, 01:32 PM
Welcome aboard Pauline, you are right on time!

Ilove2knit
03-07-2008, 02:05 PM
The only reason I was considering skipping the sleeves is the climate. Where I live, it's very hot and humid; it's impossible to be comfortable in even short sleeves, from about April to October. :hot: I'm actually wearing my Tempting at this moment; another month and I'll have to put it away until fall. I had no trouble at all with knitting the sleeves in the original Tempting; I'd just like to be able to wear Tempting 2 as soon as I finish it, instead of waiting 6 months. :) It's not that I don't like the pattern. It's beautiful. I haven't decided yet, but I'll let you know.

ArtLady1981
03-07-2008, 05:40 PM
The only reason I was considering skipping the sleeves is the climate. ....I haven't decided yet, but I'll let you know.

I've seen your knitting! :cheering: You're very accomplished, and experienced!

I think you will figure out how to modify the sleeves to suit your needs! Do let us know! And keep good notes to share with us! We might want to do the same thing on a 2nd Tempting II!

Thanks for getting back to us! :thumbsup:

ArtLady1981
03-07-2008, 07:42 PM

I think it will work great! :thumbsup:

ArtLady1981
03-07-2008, 07:46 PM
My "Something Red" is now sitting on a wet bath towel, pinned down in places, and misted heavily on top! So I was able to make great headway on Tempting II this afternoon!

I should get the 16" done by tonight. I think. :??

BTW: I will be blocking my Tempting II after it is all done...just to "set" or "tweak" the appearance of the stitches.

I counted the number of stitches in 4" (width) of the ribbing: 29 st.
In st st, 20st = 4".
This shows how much the ribbing pulls together!

knit2btied
03-07-2008, 09:51 PM
Whoo-whoo! Way to go ArtLady! I have about 7 inches on my Tempting II.

Indygirl
03-07-2008, 11:06 PM
Eye's are great now! I just finished a wip so now I can go on to other knitting. I have two rows finished on my tempting II. It looks like I need to hurry. Artlady is all done . Like all my knitting, I'm draging my heel's. I'm a very slow knitter and I do a lot of frogging along the way for some reason :teehee:

silegose
03-07-2008, 11:15 PM
I guess I really need to start working more on this. I try to work on it at least 20 min. or so a day. Between the kids and other things going on.

Indygirl
03-08-2008, 12:05 AM
I'm feeling like the fabric is going to be a very loose knit. I got gauge on the #8 needles, but I'm wondering if I should go down to a size 7 needle. I'm normally a tight knitter. One of the knitters on Raverly said she thought you could see through her's a little.

knit2btied
03-08-2008, 12:06 AM
Indy, I'm so happy about your eyes! Did you finish another pair of socks?

Silegose, There is no hurry, ArtLady said we would wait for everyone to get to the sleeves before going on.

knit2btied
03-08-2008, 12:10 AM
I'm feeling like the fabric is going to be a very loose knit. I got gauge on the #8 needles, but I'm wondering if I should go down to a size 7 needle. I'm normally a tight knitter. One of the knitters on Raverly said she thought you could see through her's a little.

That might depend on how much it has to stretch.

Indygirl
03-08-2008, 12:15 AM
That might depend on how much it has to stretch.
:knitting: 2btied, does your's feel like that? Or is it just me?

knit2btied
03-08-2008, 12:24 AM
Yes mine does, but my DD didn't want it tight so I'm going with a size that won't be pulled quite so much for hers.

Indygirl
03-08-2008, 12:31 AM
Yes mine does, but my DD didn't want it tight so I'm going with a size that won't be pulled quite so much for hers.
Great! I'll keep on a nitten then. My DD doesn't like clothing tight either. Did you see the picture of the one falling off the girl? I was in fear of that happening. I'm thinking, when I get to the yoke I might knit on up a ways, like some of the pictures show. They were all so cute.

knit2btied
03-08-2008, 12:37 AM
I liked those with high collars too. I thought I'd do away with the buckle because I had a blouse like that and the buckle stretched the collar until I couldn't wear it anymore.

I wonder how difficult it would be to make a round collar without the overlap for the buckle?

mare-nitt
03-08-2008, 07:40 AM
I have seen the pics posted here of the sweater, but is there somewhere else that everyone is looking to see and read more about the pattern.
Oh, and I did order yarn, so I will be way behind when I start by the time it gets here, plus I am not a fast knitter and I also work. But that is ok, I will still follow along with this thread and read the hints and suggestions.
Can't wait to see progess pics.

Indygirl
03-08-2008, 08:30 AM
I'll bet artlady could help out on that. I like the way this neckline looks.

knit2btied
03-08-2008, 12:32 PM
The cables would take a lot of yarn, but it is very pretty!

knit2btied
03-08-2008, 12:33 PM
I have seen the pics posted here of the sweater, but is there somewhere else that everyone is looking to see and read more about the pattern.
Oh, and I did order yarn, so I will be way behind when I start by the time it gets here, plus I am not a fast knitter and I also work. But that is ok, I will still follow along with this thread and read the hints and suggestions.
Can't wait to see progess pics.

If you are a member of Ravelry, you can check under patterns. Do a search by name and look at all the finished ones along with the comments by the knitters themselves.

Glad you ordered yarn and will be knitting with us!

mare-nitt
03-08-2008, 08:11 PM
PROBLEM....:pout:
Ok, I couldn't wait for my ordered yarn, so while I was out shopping today I found some TLC Cotton Plus, so I picked up.
I knit my gauge and with a size 8 needle I come up with 5 stitches per inch and with a size 9, I get 4.5 stitches per inch.
I know I don't want to go to a size 10, I think the stitches will be too loose but probably gauge :?? . ( I am a tight knitter and I want to make the size 40.)

Ilove2knit
03-08-2008, 08:11 PM
After reading some of this, I was afraid I wouldn't have enough yarn; I only ordered 4 skeins. But I finished the first skein this afternoon, and I have 6 1/4 inches of ribbing(I'm doing the 36" size), so I'm pretty sure I'll be okay. I love this yarn; I'll definitely be using it again(TLC Cotton Plus)!
I'm knitting with dpns, and I'm beginning to wish I were good at using circulars; I'm getting "ladders" at each point where the needles meet. I'm pulling the yarn as tightly as I can, but there's still a gap. I think it's because of the ribbing; I don't have this problem so much with stockinette. At least the gap is consistent; I think I'll just say it was supposed to look that way. ;) As Vickie Howell says, "It's a design feature!"

suzeeq
03-08-2008, 08:12 PM
Use the 8s or 9s and make a larger size?

mare-nitt
03-08-2008, 08:33 PM
I am a 38, so I was going to make the size 40 (because I don't want it tight).
So now that my gauge is off (as explained above) what size do I make?
I am going to whine here a bit, I always end up changing needle size and changing pattern size and then I end up with something too small or too big. (there I feel better, can you tell I am scared here) I have almost come to the mind set, that maybe knitting sweaters isn't going to work for me, but I want it too.
Is there hope for me. Thanks guys for the shoulder to cry on.:aww:

Indygirl
03-08-2008, 09:20 PM
I am a 38, so I was going to make the size 40 (because I don't want it tight).
So now that my gauge is off (as explained above) what size do I make?
I am going to whine here a bit, I always end up changing needle size and changing pattern size and then I end up with something too small or too big. (there I feel better, can you tell I am scared here) I have almost come to the mind set, that maybe knitting sweaters isn't going to work for me, but I want it too.
Is there hope for me. Thanks guys for the shoulder to cry on.:aww: I thought the same thing you do. I talked to some others that have made this sweater. I'm making the med. size. My D.D. bust is 37'. According to what everyone else says it will be right on. So I'm doing what Artlady says and TRUST THE PATTERN.
Happy Knitting :knitting:

suzeeq
03-08-2008, 10:00 PM
You know what, the size 8s give you 5 sts/inch. The gauge is 20 sts/4". That's the same thing! You're right on.

silegose
03-08-2008, 11:48 PM
Ok.. :?? What has everyone been measuring after the first skein is complete... Mine was 5'' exact.

knit2btied
03-09-2008, 12:04 AM
For those of us concerned about having enough yarn, ArtLady suggested we measure the length we got from a skein and figure if we have enough yarn compared to the total length of the garment.

MerigoldinWA
03-09-2008, 02:03 AM
Hi fellow knitters,

I started knitting this a few days ago and haven't had a lot of free time. I started making the size 32 (160 sts) and worked 4 inches and took it to try on my DD and it is huge. I made a gauge swatch and got gauge on an 8 and so I worked on the #8.

For those of you who have used this yarn before (The Calmer) and like it, I have a question. How do you knit with it? Do you pull on it a bit as you knit, or do you work with it so that it is not pulled? I haven't been pulling it at all and it will stretch for miles. My piece measured 13 inches across when laid out flat (as a tube), but is too loose even over the bust and she measures almost 34.

After seeing how it looked I decided to throw out all the recommendations and try knitting the smallest size and use a needle two sizes smaller, so a #6. (I like to do big swatches. LOL) I have now knitted up a whole skein of it that way and got just a smidge over 6 inches.

This new tube measures 11 inches across and the stitches look about as loose as the last ones were, but they can't be really. I am not going to knit on it any more until I can try it on DD again. I still think it is going to be plenty big.

I have to say I'm not crazy about the yarn. It is hard to knit it evenly and it has so much stretch it seems limp. I'm hoping I can get it to look like something more "tempting" than a glorified dish rag. LOL

I'm still not sure how the yarn use is shaping up. 6 1/8 inch for a ball and I have 4 of them. It seems like the yoke will use quite a bit, the sleeves don't amount to too much and I don't want hangy-down things on the neck edging so maybe Ill make it.

Gauge is sometimes a problem for me. I think I may not be knitting this yarn the right way either. Any suggestions?

Doodknitwit
03-09-2008, 02:10 AM
I'll bet artlady could help out on that. I like the way this neckline looks.

love the sweater!!! where'd the pattern come from.. the detail of the yoke is pretty!!

GiddyKnitter
03-09-2008, 09:43 AM
Hi MeringoldinWA

Oh my goodness when I read about the problems you are having with Tempting II I immediately
got mine out of my bag and had a good look! I am using Calmer and I really like it I have used it a couple of times before and it also washes well.

Mine so far looks fine the stitches are and not Floppy or uneven...I am doing the size 40 and lay flat the tube is measuring 13 inches. I have almost used 1 ball of yarn and it measures 4 1/2 inches.

I really hope mine doesn't look a glorified dishrag as you put it when it's finished.

Hope you get it sorted and that you can begin to enjoy your knitting.

suzeeq
03-09-2008, 10:02 AM
The sweater in the picture looks like someone's modification, just using a cable pattern for the neckband instead of the ribbing.

mimi
03-09-2008, 10:55 AM
I am using the calmer also. My first skein measured 5 1/2". I had to use size 9 needle to get gague, and the tube measures 11" with the same 29 stitches to 4 inches that ArtLady has. I cast on 160, but I had an idea: I am using KP Options, so what I may do is put end pieces on the needles and try it on before I go any further.

silegose
03-09-2008, 11:44 AM
Looking at what you all have said, I am so confused. I have 5'' after the first skein and 4''= 15-16 stitches. I did a guage swatch and got gauge on the size 8 needle. I also get 12" for the tube. Do my # add up?

suzeeq
03-09-2008, 11:57 AM
Nooo. If your gauge was 5st/inch and your knitting is 4 sts/inch it's not the same. Try another gauge swatch but CO 25+ sts, then measure the sts in the middle. The edge sts curl under and are not the same size as the middle ones. And since you're knitting in the round on the sweater that may be why you've got a different gauge; you may purl tighter than you knit.

knittingymnast
03-09-2008, 02:26 PM
I am having so much trouble, I think I will just give up. It's WAYYYY too hard and I have restarted at least 4 times. I have gotten 3"-4" into it and have just frogged it. I think that I am going to withdraw from this KAL. Wayy too hard.....

suzeeq
03-09-2008, 02:42 PM
But Rosalie, if you only do things that are easy for you, how will you learn anything new?

What's giving you a problem? That's what the KAL threads are for, to help figure out the booboos or how to read the pattern or whatever else is wrong.

GiddyKnitter
03-09-2008, 02:51 PM
knittingymnast

Please don't give up...we will all give you the support you need.
At first I thought "Is it worth it .... K1 P1 for 16" straight" but when I think of all the others knitting the same project I think "yes I will do this" Keep going it will be worth it in the end (I hope) xx

silegose
03-09-2008, 03:02 PM
KG... You need to stay with it.. I have also started 4 times. And I think I am going to need to start over again. This one is a little bit more :heart: breaking because I have finished one full skein. We are all in this together. You will be fine. If you can why dont you post a picture of where you are. This way we can all see and im sure someone will be able to make some suggestions.

silegose
03-09-2008, 03:05 PM
suzeeq.... let me ask this... why not check guage in k1 p1. I think that it would be better for me.
Also, after thinking about it.. those that I measured where only the knit st. I didnt include the p ones. does that make sense. hmmm

mare-nitt
03-09-2008, 03:06 PM
I am still stuck on the gauge thing. When I use a size 8 needle I get 5 sts per inch for my gauge:
So, if I do size L - CO200 sts, at 5 sttiches per inch that leaves me with a 40 inch tube at the bottom. My hips measure 43 inches.
If I go with the XL, I believe with my gauge and the CO it will give me a 43" tube at the bottom.
But in my mind, I remember everyone saying knit a size down, but that doesn't make sense, because I already know a 40" tube will be too narrow for my body.
knittingymnast - don't give up, suzeeq is right, we will just have alot of questions as we go. I know I just need to feel comfortable with the projected outcome, and the gauge is messing with me.

ArtLady1981
03-09-2008, 03:20 PM
Hi! :waving:

I've been dreadfully sick the past two days...and haven't had the extra energy to fire up the 'puter! This is Sunday morning, and I just crawled outa bed, got a cup of coffee...and before my energy runs downhill...I wanted to check in!

LOTS has happened! Our KAL was on page 18 last time I checked in!

Knittinggymnast: what are you having trouble with? So far, we are only knitting 1x1 (K1-P1) ribbing "in the round". So, what part of those two things is a problem? The ribbing or the round?

Re: working with Calmer: you don't stretch it, you don't not stretch it. You just kinda handle it with a little tension without sssssttttrrrretching it out. You will get used to it! I made an entire cabled pullover using Calmer about 2 years ago. It is like Cascade Fixation Sock Yarn! That has the same amount of "pluck" to it!
From reading our posts from the past two days I can see that the pattern is definitely proving correct. Knit the size that is a little smaller than your bust measurement.
Someone mentioned she might put endcaps on her KP Options cables and do a try on! I do that all the time! It works perfect!
Sometimes I also work my last row with as long of a cable as can be due to the "in the round" limitations. I do this so that the cable's shortness doesn't prohibit a try-on because this garment is knit in the round...and is knit so that you will ultimately stretch it out over your head to put it on. It has to clear your shoulders. Too bad the Options cables don't have a "linker" thingy like Denise Interchangeables do. With Denise you can link several cables together to come out with the length you want. Real cool little little thing. I think I might make the suggestion to KP.
For those of you who are working with normal circs or dpns...you could put your body on another color of waste yarn and do a try-on if you are concerned about fit. Really if anyone is concerned about fit...I would do this try-on after about the first 4".
I have had a few moments of knitting time the past few days...I have 3 full skeins knitted up for a total of 12"! Well I will say this: knitting 1x1 ribbing is the easiest knitting for when you are sick and fevered! I have to reach 16" to begin sleeves and yoke application.
So dear knitters, just knit away on your body ribbing! WE WILL ALL WAIT FOR EVERYONE TO CATCH UP! Don't fret if you are a slower knitter, or started a little late. We all have other things OTN that we can work on while you catch up! Really, the body is the toughest part! (1x1 ribbing for 13-18" depending on your size) The sleeves, yoke and neckband will be FUN! I've looked ahead and studied the neckband application, and it won't be hard.
Someone asked about making the neckline a continuous band. Someone over at Ravelry spoke to that. She grafted her ends. I don't know where she placed the graft...but no doubt at the top of the shoulder. Instead of the normal cast on for those 11 stitches, you would do a provisional cast on I believe. This would facilitate the grafting of the two ends later on. This would not be a hard thing to do. Isn't grafting just another word for KITCHENER?
I'm going to look for a buckle at Joann's. I'll be up there on Wednesday. If I see something of interest, I'll use the buckle application. From the Ravelers notes I've read, if the buckle you use is HEAVY in weight, it can weigh down the neckline. So, I'll look for a lightweight buckle. Hoping I can find a cream-colored 'bone' buckle. Real bone, or plastic-made-to-look-like-bone.
Silegose: the pattern says the gauge is 20st=4" in st st...and if you get gauge with st st...then the ribbing will follow suit and be "right on". I think the designer cut us a break by allowing us to do our gauge swatches in st st! Much easier! Ribbing is always a mystery! Do you stretch it or not!? I hate patterns that say gauge is "such-and-such in pattern"! ACK!

Well, I hope I addressed all the comments and questions for Friday and Saturday posts! If not, please post your question again for me and I will get to it! Thanks for your patience!

:muah:

suzeeq
03-09-2008, 03:22 PM
Marenitt - ribbing stretches so 40" should fit you. Also, are you making it long enough that it goes down to your hips at their largest measurement? Only tunics are that long; this one should be about 3-4" below your waist. Measure yourself there to reassure yourself that it fits.

silegose - most patterns give you the gauge in stockinette no matter the pattern stitch because if you get their gauge in st st, you'll likely have the same tension in pattern. Also ribbing stretches so much, it's really difficult to measure it.

suzeeq
03-09-2008, 03:24 PM
Knittinggymnast: what are you having trouble with? So far, we are only knitting 1x1 (K1-P1) ribbing "in the round". So, what part of those two things is a problem? The ribbing or the round?

She mentioned in another thread that the needle is kinking up. Maybe you'd like to explain a little more KG?

MerigoldinWA
03-09-2008, 03:49 PM
Thanks ArtLady. I'm going to try again stretching the yarn just a bit as I go. I knit Continental. I'm hoping I can get the hang of using this yarn soon. The yarn is very soft, and I like that about it.

ArtLady1981
03-09-2008, 04:08 PM
She mentioned in another thread that the needle is kinking up. Maybe you'd like to explain a little more KG?

Hmmm, needle is "kinking up"?

1) Could it be that her cable is too long? Is she using a 24" cable?
If she is using a 32", she should go down to a 24".

2) Or, could it be: some cables retain great memory, and after having been stored all coiled up...retain that coil. The remedy: soak the cable in hot water before casting on to release the coil/kinks.

3) Kinking up....hmmm...could it be that when joining the round her cast on stitches were twisted around on the needle? Amy has a video about this under ADVANCED TECHNIQUES>Large Diameter Circular Knitting. In this video, Amy also speaks to the use of no larger length circular needle than 24" for knitting in the round.

ArtLady1981
03-09-2008, 04:13 PM
Thanks ArtLady. I'm going to try again stretching the yarn just a bit as I go. I knit Continental. I'm hoping I can get the hang of using this yarn soon. The yarn is very soft, and I like that about it.

You will get the hang of it! I was totally discombooberated by it at first, too!

I made some baby sweaters using that Cascade Fixation yarn, as I mentioned! It is even 'pluckier' than Calmer. But, my hands eventually got used to it, too! To make things even more fun, Fixation is a nubby yarn! :eyes: But the results were fantabulous!

Indygirl
03-09-2008, 04:30 PM
I have about 6in' of mine knit. My daughter was just here. She loved the color and feel of it. It looks like it is right on in size too.
I was a little worried at first so don't give up.

silegose
03-09-2008, 04:32 PM
I was stretching trying to make it tight. I will go visit the lilly pad and start all over. Well first I will try in on for size then go from there.

Thanks artlady... and I hope you feel better REALLY soon..

mimi
03-09-2008, 06:05 PM
Wow, all these posts, and I just took a few hours off! Indy, I'm glad your sizing is coming out great. I am doubtful about mine, but I have a back-up to wear it if the size isn't right.

Poor ArtLady down with an illness, I hope you feel better soon. Something airborn is flying across the US and keeping a lot of us low. But you still rose up and addressed a lot of our questions, and your encouragement keeps us all going and going!

mare-nitt
03-09-2008, 06:09 PM
Artlady hope you are feeling better, thank you for taking the time to check in on us.
Hope your better soon.;)

knittingymnast
03-09-2008, 07:26 PM
Uh, can I knit the k1 p1 ribbing on DPN"s? I cant get the needle unkinked because it has taken the shape cause it was curled up in the package for so long. My LYS friends cant undo it either. Grr. I just wanted to get your advice on the k1 p1 ribbing on DPN's. TIA! :muah:

Indygirl
03-09-2008, 08:53 PM
Uh, can I knit the k1 p1 ribbing on DPN"s? I cant get the needle unkinked because it has taken the shape cause it was curled up in the package for so long. My LYS friends cant undo it either. Grr. I just wanted to get your advice on the k1 p1 ribbing on DPN's. TIA! :muah: Yes you could do it on DPN's :noway: but, If you put your circular needle in some hot (not boiling) water, that should bring some of the curling out of the cable. Hope this help's you.

silegose
03-09-2008, 11:13 PM
KG... I just purchased a set of needles and had to boil some water for steam. It will work great.. JUST DONT put it in the water. Just hold it over the steam. you will see it to start uncurling pretty quickly. hope it works for you!

suzeeq
03-09-2008, 11:13 PM
And just dip the cord in, you don't have to put the whole needle in the water. I run mine slowly through very hot tap water and that helps too. Hold it very straight as it cools, and/or run the cord between your thumb and finger.

GiddyKnitter
03-10-2008, 11:55 AM
Just thought I would let you see my Tempting II up to now....http://flickr.com/photos/24158331@N02/2324546888/

silegose
03-10-2008, 11:58 AM
Pauline.. Looking good. I love the color for this too.

knit2btied
03-10-2008, 12:02 PM
Nice work, Pauline!

Indygirl
03-10-2008, 12:24 PM
:cheering: Looking good! Great color too.:thumbsup:

mimi
03-10-2008, 12:55 PM
Nice work, it made me go grab mine for a few rounds!

ArtLady1981
03-10-2008, 03:01 PM
Thanks for the photo Pauline! Your stitches look wonderful! Hey, I love the stitch marker, too! Yummy!!

I've finished my body (all 16" of it!)! :woot:

I am now in the process of preparing the next steps so that I can post photos when you get done with your body(s).

Stay Tuned!

Knit on Good Women! :knitting::knitting::knitting::knitting::knitting: :knitting::knitting::knitting:

GiddyKnitter
03-10-2008, 03:07 PM
Artlady my DGD made those for me there cute arn't they?

knit2btied
03-10-2008, 03:08 PM
Way to go ArtLady! I've been piddling with mine. Only 8-9 inches done so far...

Maybe it's time to get busy?

silegose
03-10-2008, 03:11 PM
artlady.. your a speedster..:teehee: .. Well I tried mine on last night and........ I think i should :frog: back to the start.... I really dont know why I came so far off. But oh well. Nothing like learning from your mistakes....:mrgreen:

ArtLady1981
03-10-2008, 03:38 PM
artlady.. your a speedster..:teehee: .. Well I tried mine on last night and........ I think i should :frog: back to the start.... I really dont know why I came so far off. But oh well. Nothing like learning from your mistakes....:mrgreen:

What happened? Before you FROG...post a photo for me so I can take a look! Is it too big? Too small?

Remember, for a proper try-on, you almost have to put ALL THE STITCHES on a lonnnnnng piece of waste yarn. Most needle cables are restrictive and prevent a proper try-on.

ArtLady1981
03-10-2008, 03:39 PM
Way to go ArtLady! I've been piddling with mine. Only 8-9 inches done so far...

Maybe it's time to get busy?

Hey, that is pretty darn good, Knit! Way to go! :thumbsup:

Keep knittin' good woman! :knitting:

silegose
03-10-2008, 03:54 PM
artlady... I did the string thing... I just think once I put it on the stitches spread to far and you can see through them. But I will try and get a pic when DH gets home from work.

MerigoldinWA
03-10-2008, 06:42 PM
I think mine is looking better now. I have about 3 inches done and it looks a lot like Pauline's only a little lighter. I said I think it is going better. Trying it on will be the test.

mare-nitt
03-10-2008, 06:45 PM
OK, Is there enough here for someone to tell me why this doesn't look correct?
I am alittle embarassed, because it can't be right. I am using a size 8 needle and it looks awfully loose. Or, (positive thinking, will it tighten up the more I knitt!)
I would rather know now, then continue.

dreamsherl
03-10-2008, 10:23 PM
I am alittle embarassed, because it can't be right. I am using a size 8 needle and it looks awfully loose. Or, (positive thinking, will it tighten up the more I knitt!)
Did you knit a gauge swatch?

mare-nitt
03-10-2008, 10:49 PM
Yup, size 8 needles, 5 stitches per inch. All I can think is the K1 P1 rib, affected my gauge.

Ilove2knit
03-10-2008, 11:19 PM
Mare-nitt, that looks almost like seed stitch to me. Are you knitting the knits and purling the purls, or knitting the purls and purling the knits? The former would give you ribbing, the latter would give you seed stitch. HTH!

ArtLady1981
03-11-2008, 03:01 AM

Hi! :waving:

Hmmm, you're right. Something isn't right. It does look too loose.
Good that you caught it before working too far up! And I am very happy that you trust us enough to stop and ask for help! :thumbsup:

1) What type of cast on did you use? Just the regular long tail with normal tightness on the needle?
2) What yarn are you using? Tell me the name of the yarn, and tell me the gauge that is printed on the label of the yarn.

Your work does look like ribbing, I can see the rib columns.

Please respond to my two questions as soon as you can. I have an idea what the problem is, but I need a little more info to be sure.

In the meantime, don't lose the faith! We'll get through this! :hug:

mare-nitt
03-11-2008, 06:19 AM
*****Here I go, I just used a regular cast on, not long tail, loops tight on needle.
TLC Cotton Plus, 20S 25R 4x4 US8, It is 51% Cotton and 49% Acrylic. When I gauged with my size 8, I got 5 stitches per inch and when I used a size 9, I got 4.5 stitches per inch.
I am making the size L, CO 200stitches. This is really the first time I have done K1 P1, but that is what I am doing. (Normally I am a tight knitter, but as you can see, this is loose and you can see through it.)
Thanks everyone for looking and trying to help me.:aww:

jeanius80
03-11-2008, 02:04 PM
it looks like just your cast on is loose. i would try knitting a few more rounds before you start over, it looks like more 'tight' stitches closer to the needle. how many rows have you done?