PDA

View Full Version : Addi's or KP fixed circulars???

threesmom
02-25-2008, 05:51 PM
Hi all!

I'm hoping to get some advice before I get some new needles. I'm thinking about switching away from my trusty dpns since I've been doing more magic loop, and I need size 1's and 2's for socks. I'm just not sure if I should spring for the addi turbos or stick with the KP fixed - I haven't used either one, just KP Options. Are the addis that much better? What is your favorite? What do you like about them? And if I'm mostly doing magic loop, should I be looking at 32" or 40"?

Any feedback is appreciated!

Jax3303
02-25-2008, 05:53 PM
IMHO, There are only 2 differences between the KP fixed circs and Addi Turbo's. KP's fixed circs are pointier, and their cable is MUCH more flexible. So I'd go with the KP needles. I love them sooooo much more than I do my Addit Turbo's. I can't help you for magic loop cable lengths, as I don't like doing that method. Someone else will come along and be able to advise you on that.

threesmom
02-25-2008, 06:08 PM
Thanks! - I never thought I'd like ML much either, but ended up doing a project or two with it when I didn't have the right size dpns. Now I'm just curious how it would be to do socks that way. And pointy AND flexible are big pros in my book!

redheadrachel
02-25-2008, 07:40 PM
If pointiness and flexibility are the most important to you, I'd go with KP circs. From everything I hear, Addis are fine. But I don't think you can beat KP circs.

clarkeee
02-25-2008, 07:45 PM
I never thought I'd find a better needle than my Addis, but the two factors listed above are dead on. KP have a sharper tip and more flexible cables. Can't go wrong in my book.

I switch back to my Addis for some things or use them along with my KP for knitting on two circulars.

Jan in CA
02-25-2008, 08:42 PM
For the price I'd go with the fixed circs. I think you'll love them, but if not you aren't out a lot of money. I love mine and the cable IS flexible and the tips pointy!

brendajos
02-25-2008, 08:48 PM
One thing to be aware of though is that the pointiness does make it seem as though you are repeatedly stabbing a toothpick into your finger. ;)

I would say, though, that in the small small sizes, there isn't a LOT of difference in the pointiness. Once you get to about size 3 or 4 though, it is definitely clear.

Ariane100
02-25-2008, 08:54 PM
I would go with 40". If you ever want to do 2 adult socks at once, you'll be glad you have a 40"!

threesmom
02-25-2008, 10:33 PM
Thanks so much for the help. I agree with the cost factor, Jan - I compared tonight, and even if I decide I hate doing socks this way, I'm not out a ton of money. And thanks Ariane - I was actually thinking of giving the 2 at a time a try - I mean, why not?;)