PDA

View Full Version : is this what a *k1, p1* ribbing suppposed to look like?

baby_kittles
02-27-2008, 08:08 AM
hey everyone...just wanted to check if this looks right...it really doesn't look anything like the the pattern on the image so i just wanted to check...thanks!

always grateful

Eccie
02-27-2008, 08:48 AM
It's a little hard to see but it looks like you're doing a seed stitch instead of a rib. I think you're knitting the purls and purling the knits. To get a seed or moss stitch you to purl the knits and knit the purls.
for example:
Row 1: knit 1 purl 1 knit 1 purl 1
Row 2: purl 1 knit 1 purl 1 knit 1
Row 3: repeat row 1 and so on

baby_kittles
02-27-2008, 09:25 AM
i figured that maybe the pattern link would be helpful:

http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/60368A.html

it says *k1, p1* then row 2 = k the k sts and p the p sts...but that gives me a the pattern in the picture above and not the ribbing that's in this image...help!
always grateful

Eccie
02-27-2008, 09:42 AM
I edited the above because I got a little backward when i was typing the first time. I should type when I haven't had any caffiene yet.

suzeeq
02-27-2008, 10:13 AM
To do ribbing you knit the knit sts and purl the purls st as they look on the row you're working on. Don't try to remember them on the previous row - when you see a knit st (like a V) then knit it, and purl the bump.

boo1
02-27-2008, 10:59 AM
trying to do k1p1 ribbing without having a multiple of 2 stitches cast on. I did this once and my 'ribbing' was a nice, pretty, non-ribbed diagonal. It looked good but it wasn't what I intended.

When you're ribbing, knit the knits and purl the purls.

:)

gotta knit
02-27-2008, 12:25 PM
If you cast on an EVEN # of sts, you start with a k and end with a purl. So on wrong-side rows, you would do the same (k,p,k,p.......k,p). The purl you ended with on the first row looks like a knit stitch on the back, so you need to knit first.

If you're working with an ODD # of sts, you end with a knit, meaning you need to start the next row with a purl.

You will see distinct rows and valleys. Here's a sample of my recent k1,p1 rib: