PDA

View Full Version : Buyer beware

brittyknits
02-29-2008, 12:31 AM
I went to my knitting group tonight, and brought up the thread on here about discountedbrandnameyarns and how some sites may not be a safe as you think. A woman there said that she just ordered from there and that there was something mislabeled and that they refused to take it back. Two other women said that they had had similar problems with that site. One had ordered yarn which looked incredibly different in person (as opposed to the photo on the site) and that their policy is to never take back merchandise, no matter what the reason. The other said that she ordered some and it was fine until she got to the middle of the skein, where it was discolored and a mess of knots and that they wouldn't take it back. So I guess if you're willing to take the risk, then go ahead and buy from them. But just know that if you have a problem, you are completely stuck. And their yarn is discounted but not cheap!-- just because it's not $35, you're still paying $25! Personally, not worth it to me, from the sound of it.

GinnyG
02-29-2008, 08:50 AM
I have bought LOTS of yarn from DBNY and never had any difficulty. I have found their shipping to be very fast (usually within a week my order is received). I think their prices are amazingly low. I use a lot of Lambs pride Bulky and it is 50% less there than anywhere else.

If you go to their web site and read the "Terms & Conditions" you will see that they clearly state "all sales are final".

I have bought yarn from them that is sold as "seconds" but never had a problem with the quality. If you purchase a brand name yarn from them and there is a problem with the yarn itself isn't that the fault of the company that makes the yarn?

They are not a "BIG" yarn company they are , I believe, two people who started selling yarn on ebay and decided to go into business. They do not have a huge staff and are not always really fast about getting back with emails.

In this day and age using a credit or debit card is equally risky whether you are shopping on line or in a store. It's up to the consumer to investigate terms and conditions of the card they are using and to make sure they are protected in the event of fraud.

Luvmyrottnboy
02-29-2008, 09:19 AM
I just had a problem with them too regarding mislabeled yarn. It was on the site AND on the label as 90 yards per skein but it was, in fact, only 42 yards per skein.

I received the yarn on a Friday and on Monday the yardage on site was changed to 42 yards. The skeins were mislabled and it took them a bit of time to realize that.

However, they were wonderful about it. They sent me more skeins so I could finish the project I started and complete 2 more I had on mind at no cost.

I am happy with them for the most part. This was the only glitch and it obviously wasn't their fault.

Plus, every time I order from them the yarn comes the very next day!

brittyknits
02-29-2008, 10:19 AM
Yes, it does say that all sales are final. But how many people reading that would think that they were going to get a bum deal? It's just not good business. Rules are rules, but losing customers is losing customers. If I had paid $50 for 2 skeins of yarn and found something was wrong with them, I would think that the company would take care of that, and according to the women in my knitting group, that did not happen for 3 out of 3 people-- and it occured to me afterwards, not 1 person there had purchased from them and had a good experience! Of course, it's a very small sampling, but still. I'm glad other people have had a good experience with this company, but as for me, I will never order from them!

Abbily
02-29-2008, 10:26 AM
I have had wonderful service from them. I have had two glitches- one, they sent the wrong color lamb's pride yarn; two- it was the wrong product completely. Both times I called and they were very apologetic and VERY quick to fix the problem. They paid for my shipping to send back the wrong color of the lamb's pride, and on the other one they just let me keep the wrong product and sent me the right one as well. I have ordered from them a number of other times and gotten exactly what I ordered, and it's always very fast.

Just wanted to post a positive experience. :)

GinnyG
02-29-2008, 10:50 AM
Well, if you are not happy with them you shouldn't do business with them.
There are many of us here who have had great experience with them.
But you need to keep in mind, they are not a "company". They are a couple women selling brand name yarns that have been discontinued by the manufacturer so quality issues fall back on the the maker of the yarn.

rebecca
02-29-2008, 10:53 AM
I, too, have used them several times and have had no problems with them, as a matter of fact, placed an order with them yesterday.

Newbie2Knitting
02-29-2008, 04:20 PM
Is there somthing funky with that site? When I try to go there to check it out all I get is a search page, not an actual store site.

ETA: Never mind. I got it. I was typing in "discontinuednamebrandyarnS.com" Shouldn't be an "S" at the end.

Plantgoddess+
02-29-2008, 04:25 PM
http://www.discontinuedbrandnameyarn.com/
Here is the link. A number of people including myself gets the name wrong.

Mulderknitter
02-29-2008, 05:18 PM
I've always had a good experience with them. but like anything, it can take just one bad time to ruin it for you forever. I will never work with a certain phone company again, but other people love them. It's all in your experiences.

brittyknits
02-29-2008, 10:48 PM
Some of the posts are sounding a bit antagonistic and defensive about this company. And they ARE a company-- if you are running a site which sells merchandise, then you are a business, whether it's 2 people or 2000 behind it, and your customers have every right to expect a certain professionalism from you. Unless of course, you post that on your homepage, that you are 2 women who just do this to make things easier for other knitters or whatever. As for it being the manufacturer's fault?-- well, if you purchased yarn at Joann's and there was something wrong with it, how happy would you be if they said it was the fault of the manufacturer and not the store? I know these are supposedly the above mentioned just-a-couple-of-women, but for the customer who doesn't know that, it makes no difference. Bad product is bad product. I have no personal investment in whether or not they succeed, and I personally have never ordered from them. I'm glad people have purchased yarn from them more cheaply than they might from other sites and been happy with what they got. But hearing 3 out of 3 people spend money and feel that they have gotten stiffed?-- I wouldn't feel right not letting other people know about it.

knitmama
03-01-2008, 12:20 AM
I've never ordered from them before, so I can't speak towards good experience or bad. What I can say is that I'm happy to hear multiple opinions about this place. If I were to order from them, I'd know now what to expect, both the good and the bad. People who have had a bad experience will of course share it, but it's only fair to allow those who have also had a good experience to share as well. They don't seem to be a bad company, it seems more that their customer service is rough around the edges. Just MHO. Thank you everyone for sharing the pros and cons.:thumbsup:

GinnyG
03-01-2008, 02:01 PM
I am not trying to be "antagonistic" as you say. It just bothers me when someone bashes a place they have no personal experience with. I question your "source" of information since you refer to spending $50.00 on two skeins of yarn, I have never seen yarn on this site that is that expensive. So I have to wonder how accurate the rest of the information is.

But as someone else has said, with any business you will have people with good experience and people with bad. All is takes is one bad experience to color you forever.

The purpose of my mentioning that they are not a "company" is that they aren't like an internet year shop such as Webs that has an unending supply of multiple brands of yarn. They also don't have alot of employees to answer emails and process orders.

So I apologize if you are offended by my defense of this yarn shop, and yes you are correct I am defending them, but my experience with them is not limited to a single order. I have ordered from the well over a dozen times and never had a problem. It would appear that others agree.

I will bow out of this discussion with one last comment. I do feel that if you are going to speak badly of an organization you should be speaking from your own experience not "hearsay".

brittyknits
03-02-2008, 01:46 AM
I just looked at the site, and right on their front homepage is yarn advertized at $22.99 a skein. Close enough to $25 to question the accuracy of their stories. I beg to differ on the "hearsay" comment. These are 3 people from a very friendly knitting group, and they seemed very genuine and specific in their complaints. They were speaking about their own experiences, not something they had heard from someone else. There was no "bashing" tone to the conversation; more like disappointment.

rebecca
03-03-2008, 01:45 PM
Hey guys. I placed an order with the company this past Thurs and last night found that my order was way overcharged. Well, I left messages last night, an email and called today.
The very, very nice and helpful owner, Terry called me back, he has had a guy working for him who has messed up MANY orders (he no longer works there!). Terry promptly credited my card. Told me very honestly that I may get the wrong yarn because this guy had messed up several people/orders and he (Terry, the owner) is currently trying to straighten up the mess. He offered to send UPS to my home to pick up the package should the wrong yarn arrive, too. And will then get my correct order shipped, should the wrong one arrive.
My goodness, this very kind & helpful gentleman, Terry is dealing with a mess and is being very, very kind and helpful as they always have been to me in the past and I'm sure will continue to be in the future.
I wanted to jump in and let ya'll know that the problems you experienced may very well have been from this guy that has caused my problem and some others. It's as I told the owner, he needs to hire knitters, we would LOVE to work with yarn, LOL!
OH yeah, I don't know if I even told ya'll this...I ordered a bag of Oasis from them a month or so ago and they threw in a couple of balls of yarn for free-they do seem to try their best to please their customers, well, they certainly have with me and ya'll know me, when I get great customer service from a yarn shop, I always get in here and tell you about it! And he was very, very nice, and helpful to me.

kemp
03-04-2008, 11:31 AM
It's great to know all of this information good and bad. Everyone should be able to express their knowledge about a company...as always caveat emptor :) Some people will have consistently great experiences, but there are always tales of less than stellar customer service. Mistakes and mix-ups do occur and I am sure the occurrence goes up a bit the longer a place is in business.

I don't think anyone has defended or bashed...every one has just expressed their personal experiences in a very reasonable manner whether it be from first hand knowlege or not.

ekgheiy
03-05-2008, 09:33 AM
If you go to their web site and read the "Terms & Conditions" you will see that they clearly state "all sales are final". IMHO, this is truly all that need be said. It makes no sense for a person to bicker if a gamble turns out against his/her favor. That's the very nature of gambling: hit or miss. :shrug: