PDA

View Full Version : Knitting Speed

Birdiegirl
02-29-2008, 02:46 PM
Hi

I'm pretty new to knitting...have only been knitting a few months. I am making my first t-shirt in stockinette, in a cotton 50/50 blend size 4 yarn.

I'm just wanting to compare knitting "speeds"...as for me it's more important to knit carefully and methodically so it looks neat.

About how long does it take you to make a simple t-top for yourself in this size yarn? Estimate hours of knitting not weeks or months! ;-) As we all spend different amounts of time knitting on a daily basis.

Here is the pattern http://www.knitsimplemag.com/node/137#1 It is the first t-shirt in red.

Jens
02-29-2008, 03:06 PM
I've been knitting sense this past summer. I made a poncho it took about 3 weeks. I wanted it for October I worked pretty hard a couple of nights to get it done quickly. It takes me about a week and a half to 2 weeks of knitting most nights to finish a pair of socks with size 1 or 2 needles. I have toddlers so I can only knit at night for a couple of hours. HTH
Jen

Birdiegirl
02-29-2008, 03:11 PM
I am lucky to knit two hours a night...more on some weekends.

Knitting_Guy
02-29-2008, 03:23 PM
I'm a very fast knitter so it wouldn't take me more than six or seven months to knit that. :mrgreen:

Plantgoddess+
02-29-2008, 04:30 PM
It's hard to estimate because for me I knit in spurts. It may be 2 minutes to 2 hours depending on my day. I would guess between 20 to 40 hours. The finishing would take me longer because I hate to sew things up. I prefer knitting in the round.