PDA

View Full Version : My Mother really knows how to make me happy.....

Jax3303
03-02-2008, 11:00 AM
Yesterday morning the phone rings. It's my mom. She says "Tell Johnny (my DH) he needs to stay home with the kids today and get your butt dressed. Your birthday is Monday so we're going out this afternoon to celebrate." About an hour later she arrives to pick me up and she takes me out to lunch at this little Italian restaurant that I love (where she just happens to refill my wine glass every time I go to the bathroom or get distracted....lol...thanks Mom). After lunch she takes me to her friends salon and we both get manicures, and sat around drinking coffee and gossiping. After that I expected her to drive me home, but she didn't. She instead took me to a bookstore. As we were walking in, she said "pick out two books, happy birthday". :woohoo: I think my Mom was kind of disappointed that I was more excited about getting new books than I was at any other point of our day....LMAO But my mom knows me and she knows that I cherish books. Hell, when I was little and I got into trouble, taking away my books was punishment because I valued them more than any toys or anything else she could take away. Anyway, I ended up getting two books that I've wanted to read for a while now, but haven't because I keep finding other books that look good too :) I got 'Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris and 'Running with Scissors' by Augusten Burroughs. It was a really nice afternoon.

sue in canada
03-02-2008, 12:03 PM
What a lovely day. Enjoy the books and Happy Birthday for tomorrow.

mwhite
03-02-2008, 12:04 PM
Happy Birthday and WHAT A SUPER MOM!!!!

HamaLee
03-02-2008, 01:03 PM
Happy Birthday! That sounds like a fun day. I love David Sedaris, Me Talk Pretty is reliably hilarious :mrgreen: and Running With Scissors was a good read as well. Enjoy!

auburnchick
03-02-2008, 01:07 PM
What a nice treat! Such a sweet mom!

Happy (early) Birthday! :hug:

bailsmom
03-02-2008, 01:33 PM
:balloons: :balloons: HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!!!!! :present:

You have a wonderful mother!!

cmk
03-02-2008, 02:25 PM
Happy Birthday! That was so thoughtful of your mother. Enjoy your books!

candicane
03-02-2008, 05:46 PM
Happy Birthday! Is your birthday this Monday the 3rd? So is mine and I'm in Ohio too. What part of Ohio are you in?

You picked out great books. Have a fun birthday!

candice

snowbear
03-02-2008, 05:47 PM
What a great memory. It's wonderful to have the relationship you 2 obviously have.

Enjoy the books!

Jax3303
03-03-2008, 09:00 AM
Thank you for the birthday wishes, everyone!

Yesterday, I sat down with Me Talk Pretty to read 'for just a minute to get it started' ....yeah...when am I going to learn that never works for me. lol. what felt like 5 minutes later I looked up and realized I was 1/2 way through the book. It's really funny!

Candicane- Happy Birthday! It's always nice to find someone who shares your birthday. I'm right on the Dublin/Worthington border, where in Ohio are you?

candicane
03-04-2008, 09:56 AM
I am in Cleveland.

cindycactus
03-04-2008, 10:56 AM
Happy Belated Birthday to both candicane & Jax3303.:present::present::present::clink: And a day with your mother sounded like fun. Congratulations.

Dangles
03-04-2008, 06:09 PM
Happy Belated to you Jax3303 and candicane!

Jax3303: how sweet of your mother :)

ritaw
03-06-2008, 09:16 AM
happy Birthday. Enjoy those books . :)

GinnyG
03-06-2008, 10:15 AM
AWWW, how sweet. I wish my daughter were close enough to do that for!

knitncook
03-06-2008, 06:35 PM
Woot!! What a great mom! I was the same way with books. My mom used to send me to my room when I was in trouble. Fine with me. I could escape into books. She figured it out one day and started sending me to her room! Didn't work very well. I just would read whatever was on my dad's nightstand. Bwahahahahaha! Happy reading!