PDA

View Full Version : Knitted Glove Pattern an adaptation of a crocheted one?

Little Audrey
03-02-2008, 04:28 PM
Greetings needle-workers! I have just finished a pair of knitted gloves :woohoo:- they are worked "sideways" starting at the little finger and going across to a "double-thumb" and across again to the little finger. The whole is then folded in half at the thumb and stitched around the open thumb edge and fingers and down to the wrist. All worked in garter stitch (very easy, but a study in binding off and casting on). The binding off does tend to leave a hole at the base of each finger (which I sort of corrected by working an increase and binding that off). It seems to me this must have originally been a pattern for crochet - the casting on would have been easy, and the "binding off" would not have left a hole in the work. If there is any interest, I can post the pattern - it is from a very old Columbia-Minerva book. If anyone has such a crochet pattern, I would like to have it!:mrgreen:

OffJumpsJack
02-26-2009, 05:18 PM
Greetings needle-workers! I have just finished a pair of knitted gloves :woohoo:- they are worked "sideways" starting at the little finger and going across to a "double-thumb" and across again to the little finger.... All worked in garter stitch (very easy, but a study in binding off and casting on).... It seems to me this must have originally been a pattern for crochet - the casting on would have been easy, and the "binding off" would not have left a hole in the work. If there is any interest, I can post the pattern - it is from a very old Columbia-Minerva book. If anyone has such a crochet pattern, I would like to have it!:mrgreen:

Is it too late to post of an interest in this pattern?

I just found your post by looking at threads that didn't have any reply. (Sort of the lost sheep of posts ;) )

melmac51
03-03-2009, 05:52 PM
I'd like that pattern too! Thanks!

Little Audrey
03-07-2009, 12:16 PM
cloud9 Oh, okay! Let me dig the book out (I have been wearing the gloves all winter - knitted in wool, they are nice and warm!) and I will post the pattern. :aww:

Northknitter
03-07-2009, 12:30 PM
cloud9 Oh, okay! Let me dig the book out (I have been wearing the gloves all winter - knitted in wool, they are nice and warm!) and I will post the pattern. :aww:
Knitted sideways, that caught my eye. If there is time still would you share this pattern also with me. thank you in advance.

Little Audrey
03-07-2009, 12:53 PM
Per your requests: From the Columbia-Minerva "teach yourself to Knit the easy way" Book 770, printed 1968:
EASY-KNIT GLOVES Number 770-8 (abbreviated)
-these gloves as described fit me perfectly - and I wear small gloves - therefore be prepared to adjust the pattern; also, they are very "pretty" (not suitable for boys or men) - perfect for Easter wear?
materials: wool 4-ply worsted 4 ounces (or equivalent)
needles: one pair size 8
gauge: 9 sts to 2 inches; 9 rows to 1 inch
Starting with the little finger, co 37 sts. Work in garter stitch (i.e., knit every row) as follows:
little finger: k 5 rows, bo 10 sts. slip remaining stitch* onto left-hand needle & immediately co 15 sts
ring finger: k 6 rows on the 42, bo 12 sts, immediately co 15 sts (slipping stitch onto left needle)
middle finger: k 6 rows on the 45, bo 15 sts, co 13 sts
index finger: k 6 rows on the 43, bo 21 sts, co 8 sts
thumb: k 12 rows on the 30, bo 8 sts, co 21 sts
index finger: k 6 rows on the 43, bo 13 sts, co 15 sts
middle finger: k 6 rows on the 45, bo 15 sts, co 12 sts
ring finger: k 6 rows on the 42, bo 15 sts, co 10 sts
little finger: k 5 rows on the 37, bo all sts.
Make second glove the same. Fold gloves in half and sew at side and around fingers.
A strap can be made to decorate the back of the glove: make 2 as follows: co 12 sts & k 4 rows. bind off. if desired, sew button to strap & sew strap to back of glove.

* my own comment: think of these gloves as "palms" and "finger-units"; after each cast-off, there will be one finger stitch left which is to be transferred to the left needle before casting on for the next finger. I really think there should be a better way to do this, as it looks fine, but when worn stretches between the fingers causing holes to appear.
I believe that I have transcribed this correctly, the two "halves" should work up symmetrically. It is a very easy pattern and best of all - despite my size (4'10" tall) & requirement for very small gloves - these fit!

Clarelou
08-07-2009, 07:56 AM
:aww: thank you for the pattern. My mother knitted these for me when i was little with a different colour for each finger. She finished them with a ribbed cuff.:aww:

kissersue
12-03-2010, 06:02 AM
I am looking for that book!!! the mitten pattern in it to be exact! do you happen to still have the mitten pattern? it's 770-9 it has earwarmers with it, but I just need the mmitten pattern. I've been searching for days!!

Little Audrey
12-06-2010, 10:42 AM
Yes! :thumbsup: I still have this book - in fact, I have been studying the instructions for the "collar" (I think we would call it a neck-warmer now). There are four mitten patterns in this book. I think you must mean the "floral" ones? cloud9 They are pictured in red and worked in garter stitch. Two other mitten + earwarmer patterns are given, one cabled and one with thin stripes. Since this book is long out-of-print, I guess I could post whatever pattern you want. audrey v.

Little Audrey
12-06-2010, 10:47 AM
Yes, 770-9 is the cabled mitten pattern. I will type it up and check for errors and then post it! audrey v.

Little Audrey
12-06-2010, 11:40 AM
posted this pattern as a new thread under Patterns