PDA

View Full Version : Mystery swap!!cancelled for now see pg 2

tarrentella
03-06-2008, 12:42 PM
I loved all the different things that got sent in the New Years Swap .. so many different types of yarn and all the patterns that got sen too. it made me want to run my own swap ....

the mystery swap

So here's the idea:
for this swap you send a pattern and enough yarn to make the pattern, only here's the catch ... you don't tell your partner what the pattern is for! that way it stays a mystery until the pattern is made.

Even if you send a pattern which clearly has secions for sleeves etc, doesnt meen you know exactly what the finished product will be. Obviously though this pattern is best suited to 'simpler' projects like afgahns, hats, socks etc.

Here are the rules:

your package must contain a pattern
You should remove any pictures, descriptions and the title from the pattern so it is a mystery.
Include enough yarn to complete the pattern.
The yarn doesn't have to be the yarn specified in the pattern, as long as it is a suitable substitution.Are you game?
If you would like to take part then PM me with the form below by Friday 21st.

Name (online/real life)

Address

Prepared to post overseas? Y/N

What sort of thing do you like (or don't like) to knit?

What are your favourite colours?

Any allergies?

What is your clothes and shoes size (please state UK or US)?

What would your maximum budget be?

Any thing else we realy need to know?

I hope you like the idea.

Love Sophie

a.shin.grace
03-06-2008, 03:57 PM
Oooooh! This sounds like a GREAT idea..!!

I'm game!

Pjusken
03-07-2008, 04:20 PM
That sounds like so much fun, I hope you get a good response. Too bad I live like lightyears away from everyone!

redheadrachel
03-07-2008, 05:46 PM
Two questions: When we knit what they gave us the pattern and the yarn for, is it for US, or is it something we're knitting for them?

Also, if we're knitting it for US instead of for THEM, is there any way we could specify? Like, I want to do some type of sock, and they pick out the pattern and yarn...

Let me know. :) Thanks!

gargoylelib
03-08-2008, 04:27 AM
This sounds like a really neat idea for a swap! I'm gonna have to see
how my finances go this month before signing up but I hope I get
to be in on this one!

Libbie :)

tarrentella
03-08-2008, 06:22 AM
Two questions: When we knit what they gave us the pattern and the yarn for, is it for US, or is it something we're knitting for them?

Also, if we're knitting it for US instead of for THEM, is there any way we could specify? Like, I want to do some type of sock, and they pick out the pattern and yarn...

Let me know. :) Thanks!

The knitted product would be for you to keep. I don't think you can specify exactly what you want to knie but in the question 'what sort of thing do you like to knit?' i would realy realy emphasis SOCKS!!

tarrentella
03-08-2008, 06:24 AM
That sounds like so much fun, I hope you get a good response. Too bad I live like lightyears away from everyone!

This swap is open to people from all countries, so if you want to join you can. i will try and figure out the best posting arangenments for people.

*KnitPixie*
03-08-2008, 07:51 PM
So out of curiousity when is the deadline for signups and for our FO..I am a slow knitter so may not be able to participate:/

Samsam
03-08-2008, 09:59 PM
What a fun idea, I'll fill out the form tomorrow.

lactosefree
03-09-2008, 02:05 AM
I love the idea as well.

My concerns are similar to Rachel's. Would it be possible to have a few different categories we could sign up for? We could choose from let's say three different groups: the 'mystery sock' group, the 'mystery scarf/shawl' group or the 'mystery hat' group (or what ever groups make sense)... and then the people who sign up can be sorted and matched up that way?

I think once we read the pattern we'll know what the object will be, but it will be fun seeing how the item will turn out with the colors and design in the pattern that's hidden from us.

Just throwing out a few ideas. Regardless, thanks for organizing a new swap!! :)

tarrentella
03-09-2008, 09:02 AM
So out of curiousity when is the deadline for signups and for our FO..I am a slow knitter so may not be able to participate:/

No need to worry about being a slow knitter (i am too i can sympathise!). You are not sending an FO, just the yarn and pattern for you swap partner to make somthing for themselves.

ChrissyB
03-13-2008, 11:50 AM
Sounds fun, I am in!! A couple more questions/comments, would it be a good idea to include skill level, so you don't send a newbie knitter a complicated lace or shaped patter and drive them over the edge, and would you have price groups like other swaps? Or maybe a small project group and large project group? Thanks, and great idea, I love surprises and myseries!!

Samsam
03-19-2008, 08:22 AM
Just set in my answers now..wow it's been a busy week.

tarrentella
03-26-2008, 07:02 AM
I am very sorry guys, but i have had to cancel this swap for the time being.
I have not had internet access at home now for a couple of weeks, and am still waiting for it to get reconected. Without regular web access i am just not able to manage a swap properly, and it would be unfair to you all who want to take part.

I am hoping that once ihave these 'technical difficulties' (plus one or two personal problems) sorted out i will be able to get things going again.

Again im sorry but i hope you are all ok :)

KnittinMitchie
03-27-2008, 09:12 AM
Tarrentalla I'm sorry to hear your having troubles. I was actually thinking of joining your swap. Hope that you can get things sorted out :)