PDA

View Full Version : Wildest Knitting Dreams..

knitpurlgurl
03-06-2008, 07:59 PM
:sun: What what would be a knitting dream come true?

DorothyDot
03-06-2008, 08:12 PM
To create my How-To dvd's and sell them through my Aunt Dot website. Planning on giving How-to-Knit, How-to-Crochet and How-to-Tat away.... then offer for sale dvd's that walk you through specific projects, start to finish. Knit a pair of slippers? Aunt Dot'll show you how! And there'll be an added surprise bonus in every dvd.

Dream... dream... I've got my logo, am currently cross-stitching in the colors. And my theme song - now just have to record me playing it on fiddle, then on harp. And the program to record and edit my dvd's... but need to buy an external dvd-burner.

Then to get my website ready for hoards of eager visitors! I'm going to post free monthly articles about knitting, crocheting or tatting. And have a blog. And-and-and!

Dream... dream... dream.

Dot

Ingrid
03-06-2008, 08:35 PM
I dream of finding an ad in the HelpWanteds calling for a knitter--lots of loot and full benefits.:heart:

scout52
03-06-2008, 08:42 PM
I dream of finding an ad in the HelpWanteds calling for a knitter--lots of loot and full benefits.:heart:

ditto!!!!

knitpurlgurl
03-06-2008, 08:48 PM
To create my How-To dvd's and sell them through my Aunt Dot website. Planning on giving How-to-Knit, How-to-Crochet and How-to-Tat away.... then offer for sale dvd's that walk you through specific projects, start to finish. Knit a pair of slippers? Aunt Dot'll show you how! And there'll be an added surprise bonus in every dvd.

Dream... dream... I've got my logo, am currently cross-stitching in the colors. And my theme song - now just have to record me playing it on fiddle, then on harp. And the program to record and edit my dvd's... but need to buy an external dvd-burner.

Then to get my website ready for hoards of eager visitors! I'm going to post free monthly articles about knitting, crocheting or tatting. And have a blog. And-and-and!

Dream... dream... dream.

Dot

I would so be interested in purchasing project-specific DVDs. I went to your website and saw that you have a free DVD for crochet - which I am dying to learn! I tried to click on the links that ask you to click on them, but there is no actual link there.. :waah:

knitpurlgurl
03-06-2008, 08:49 PM

That would be awesome... except being the rebel that I am, I would probably HATE it if I HAD to do it.

redheadrachel
03-06-2008, 10:02 PM
Being a professional knitter would be my absolute wildest knitting dream come true. Probably not even my wildest knitting dream, but actually my wildest dream!

Unlimited yarn is a very, very close second :)

Plantgoddess+
03-06-2008, 10:14 PM
I was going to click on owning yarn store, but just closed down a retail business a couple of years ago because of the hours involved and strain on me physically. I now have abundant free time to do what I want which is to play with my girlfriends and go out with hubby from time to time. Why would I want to tie myself back to a fulltime work schedule. Lifetime supply of yarn would allow me to continue to enjoy life as I want.

DorothyDot
03-06-2008, 10:30 PM
Yes, I've yet to get them up and going. I'm working like the dickens to get my first How-To-Knit dvd even recorded. My website is very much a work-in-progress at this point.

Within the year, I devoutly hope...

Believe me, I've pretty much boggled my brain trying to get a DVD test printed... poor quality, so far. And I need to get better footage for a distributable DVD.

All in due time. Ordered an external DVD-burner today, so should be able to get moving really soon.

Thanks for your interest!
Dot

Mulderknitter
03-06-2008, 10:32 PM
Seriously? Sit me down with some yarn, some needles, and a book on ipod. I won't even remember that anyone else is on the planet. HMMM... does that mean that my knitting dream is to forget everyone else on the planet?? ah, no.... who would I knit for then?

redheadrachel
03-06-2008, 10:48 PM
Seriously? Sit me down with some yarn, some needles, and a book on ipod. I won't even remember that anyone else is on the planet. HMMM... does that mean that my knitting dream is to forget everyone else on the planet?? ah, no.... who would I knit for then?

My sentiments exactly! That's completely how I feel :)

MAmaDawn
03-06-2008, 10:59 PM

This is why I keep saying that knitting keeps me sane.... :knitting:

slightly addicted to yarn
03-07-2008, 02:48 AM
To be honest, I've probably already got a lifetime's supply of yarn, so owning a yarn shop would mean a) being surrounded by woolly loveliness, and b)not feeling guilty about it! Only problem would be that it would probably have to be wrestled out of my grasp when people tried to buy it!

Debkcs
03-07-2008, 04:01 AM
I chose the one about designing and knitting for a living because I'm math challenged (an actual form of dyslexia) and would LOVE to understand how to design my own stuff, or just figure out problems when I come to them.

Dot, if you do a DVD for THAT, let me know.

msmelody
03-07-2008, 04:23 AM
My dream is not on that list. I just want to be able to knit more than a row or two before a little one either tries to take the knitting or needs me to get up and do something for them. Not that I am wishing my children's lives away, but I cannot wait until they are a little older.

The.Knitter
03-07-2008, 04:48 AM
ah, no.... who would I knit for then?...

...I'd knit for ME finally! I'd knit myself a CPH and perhaps a tank top or two, or maybe I'd knit myself two CPH's, one to go with bluejeans and one RED one! Now if I had an endless lifetime supply of yarn, I could do that, I could actually make two CPH's... wow! I could knit any pair of socks I wanted to. I could.... well I could knit whatever I wanted to knit! Imagine the possibilities.... cloud9

DQ
03-07-2008, 06:38 AM
I put 'to compete all my WIPs' because I suppose that's the closest...I just want to learn and get better and be brave enough to try new things.

gamerchik
03-07-2008, 08:20 AM
Ohhh...I thought this was a topic about dreams we've had about knitting, in which case I was going to tell you about the dream I had after the last Obama/Clinton debate where they both had to do armhole shaping in purl and the country decided whose was better. I'm not even kidding, lol. :P

Mulderknitter
03-07-2008, 09:24 AM
Ohhh...I thought this was a topic about dreams we've had about knitting, in which case I was going to tell you about the dream I had after the last Obama/Clinton debate where they both had to do armhole shaping in purl and the country decided whose was better. I'm not even kidding, lol. :P
:roflhard:

msoebel
03-07-2008, 10:56 AM
I want to own a yarn store. We don't have one in town and there is a great location downtown....hardwood floors and it was once an upscale boutique, so it already has several little "nooks" in the walls. They used it to hang clothes, but I can see how with a little shelfing, they would make beautiful yarn cubbies.

I LOVE THAT PLACE.

And my dh has a degree in advertising...and a head for business. He could do my books, I could run the store...the hours downtown are pretty low key...just 9 am to 5 pm each day. Wouldn't that be glorious?!

bajanKnit
03-07-2008, 01:04 PM
...I just want to learn and get better and be brave enough to try new things.

I feel exactly the same way.
I love to knit if I am not knitting I go mad I also love yarn everytime I see it I drool I buy it constantly then just stare at it because I don't have the courage to try to knit anything new or anything above begginner level other than hats or scarves, because I am a big chicken to scared to try new things.

Debkcs
03-07-2008, 01:16 PM
I had that problem, found out the best way is to just pick something up and knit it. And as Ingrid says, "trust the pattern!"

Until I started believing those two things, crocheting was all I could comfortably do.

lelvsdgs
03-07-2008, 02:25 PM
I chose a lifetime supply of yarn. I've done "custom" work before (not knitting) and it is a real challenge both in the sense of satisfying the customer and not getting bored. You do have to make things you don't like, and the customer get to say, no, that's not what I wanted, you need to redo it. You have to be very patient and not take it personally. I found it stressful and not very satisfying.
So bring on the lifetime supply of yarn!

knitpurlgurl
03-07-2008, 03:33 PM
I feel exactly the same way.
I love to knit if I am not knitting I go mad I also love yarn everytime I see it I drool I buy it constantly then just stare at it because I don't have the courage to try to knit anything new or anything above begginner level other than hats or scarves, because I am a big chicken to scared to try new things.

Don't feel bad, I'm a chicken too!:aww:

DorothyDot
03-07-2008, 05:29 PM
One step closer to my dream!! :cheering:

Just got my logo completed and upload-able. Yippee! Drew it, embroidered it, cross-stitched it, photographed it, edited it, saved it, and here it is!!

Now on to creating those DVD's. Soon as I get the right parts for the computer, that is.

But hey! That dream's a step closer now!

Dot

photolady
03-07-2008, 06:07 PM
I was going to click on owning yarn store, but just closed down a retail business a couple of years ago because of the hours involved and strain on me physically.

Owning your own business is pure hell, imo. we owned a restaurant YEARS ago, and it was a constant job, no clocking out.
If the cook calls in sick, YOU cook
If there aren't enough wait staff, YOU wait on tables
You have to watch the money, watch the employees, abide by all the rules of the state, and if you're lucky, (which I don't believe in luck), you MIGHT make a profit the first year.

You're darn right about the strain and hours involved. You're there before it opens, and the last one to leave, usually.
Paying for advertising is a huge drain on the money. Radio spots in prime time are unaffordable, but, you do it anyways.
What made you finally decide to throw in the towel?

bajanKnit
03-07-2008, 06:39 PM
Don't feel bad, I'm a chicken too!:aww:
Birds of a feather! We need to shake off our feathers and branch out....Easier said that done.

Plantgoddess+
03-08-2008, 04:26 PM
Arthritis, bone spurs in my heels, too much work for too little profit. My husband finally had enough seniority at his job that we don't worry about layoffs anymore. A combination of things, but mostly I was just so tired.

annomalley
03-08-2008, 05:24 PM
I picked "To have a lifetime supply of yarn", but my wildest knitting dream would be to not only have that lifetime supply of yarn, but I could summon up any brand I wanted and any color I desired, and it would be FREE!!! ;)

knitpurlgurl
03-08-2008, 09:22 PM
I picked "To have a lifetime supply of yarn", but my wildest knitting dream would be to not only have that lifetime supply of yarn, but I could summon up any brand I wanted and any color I desired, and it would be FREE!!! ;)

Ooooo - good one! I like it! We just need to find Aladdin's lamp! :sun:

Jen17
03-08-2008, 11:31 PM
I too picked owning a yarn store, but on consideration, I don't want to be there 24 hours a day and would probably end up not having time to actually knit..
So...what I really want is for us to retire and have a medium size RV (the kind you drive and tow a small car on the back)... win a life time supply of gas and travel cross country and go to every state we haven't been to yet. BUT my husband has to drive, 'cause all I want to do is ride "shot gun" and knit and watch the scenery go by!!

Jen:knitting:

Plantgoddess+
03-09-2008, 09:19 AM
Great idea Jen!

knitncook
03-09-2008, 10:45 AM
My daughters want to know where the option of Johnny Depp holding their hanks of yarn so you can knit off his hands is. :)

Seriously, though, I really want to own a knitting shop. Really badly. We need a nice friendly place here.

laptop_knitter
03-09-2008, 05:26 PM
I'd love to own my own knitting shop - the area I live in right now is pretty deprived. It'd have lovely comfy sofas to knit the lunch hour away in, a small area for mini-knitters to play and a little cafe at the back so if I got snowed in I'd have everything I needed to survive - food, coffee and knitting!

Though Johnny Depp holding the yarn is a good idea. Or Brad Paisley. Hmm....

rachejm
03-09-2008, 07:17 PM
I put 'to compete all my WIPs' because I suppose that's the closest...I just want to learn and get better and be brave enough to try new things.

Ditto. I just want more time to knit!