PDA

View Full Version : another question from the dumb blonde

twoxover
03-08-2008, 08:51 AM
Hiya--

OK, i'm a new knitter. and i'm busy making scarfs <g>...mostly knitting, purling and combinations of the two. have not yet tried adding or decreasing stitches, or anything more complicated than a stockinette stitch. Just so you know where i'm at!

what's the next "leve" of project? what will be fun, and not too overwhelming? i bought a book on making dish clothes...i thought this would be a great way to learn some things, in a "confined" area LOL! am i on the right track?

of course, like weight watchers, where i want to wake up and be 70 lbs lighter in one day, i wanna knit sweaters and be able to have the skills to do it NOW <g>

betsey

Lisa R.
03-08-2008, 09:48 AM
I think you're definitely on the right track. For myself, one of my first projects was the booga bag because that's what the group I was in was doing next. I learned knitting in the round, picking up stitches and i-cord.

What I've done is read and listened to other knitters and seen what they're excited about, and determined to learn a bit of whatever catches my interest.

At first I assumed socks would be WAY out of my league, so I moved into some bags, a cool bookmark thing, cell phone case, etc. Then I wanted to learn cables, so I did a cable scarf. Finally, all the talk about socks got to me, and I just finished my first pair last month. Then I tried entrelac and an on my way to finishing my first entrelac scarf.

I hope one day to do a sweater, and am sort of looking at patterns now, but that's a little scary to me. But I'll get it one day!

And a friend just encouraged me to do some dishcloths, so with that and the fun discussions here on KH, once I finish my scarf and a bag I'm working on, I'm heading to my stash to make a few cool dishclothes.

so, yeah, you're on the right track...just keep looking for things that interest you and do them...you'll learn more and more with each project!

Happy knitting!

Knitting_Guy
03-08-2008, 09:51 AM
For me it was socks using Silver's Sock Class. I learned a great deal from that.

Dishcloths sound like a good project. They're small enough that you can finish them relatively quickly and get a sense of satisfaction that way. Besides, they're quite handy to boot.

alleusion
03-08-2008, 09:55 AM
You could also try a simple hat next. It would add knitting in the round and decreasing to your knowledge list.

bethany
03-08-2008, 10:17 AM
I'd say do what ever interests you. I went from scarves to a hat to the easy poncho here on KH to more hats then pants and a hoodie....If you like the project go for it. I learned as I went. Socks now and lace soon.

Also--not a dumb question. You just learn as you go and this is a great site for advice and direction. ;) Have fun!

babsnelson
03-08-2008, 10:17 AM
I think the hat idea is a good one. You can knit it in the round or on DPN's - both nice to learn. But socks are NOT as hard as you might think. Give it a try. Also - a nice short sleeved summer sweater would not be out of the question.........

I guess I'm just saying go for it! Find a pattern you love and you WILL figure it out!

twoxover
03-08-2008, 10:39 AM
thank you everyone! i'm going to try the dishclothes next, when i finish up the scarf (it's a crystal palace yarn, eyelash in lime green...my daughter loves it!)

betsey

ecb
03-09-2008, 11:50 PM
and laughed when i saw that I had been the one to ask it (being a well established blonde)

but why not knit stuffed felted balls
U will use either ML or DPN, Increases, Decreases, and its all forgiven if its not perfect at the end, becasue u FELT IT

sound like a plan?

ecb