PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite stitch marker?

Wildfire
03-10-2008, 06:28 AM
I'm still a fairly new knitter and all.... so I was curious as to what is everyones favorite stitch markers to use and as to if there are various sizes for needles 11 and up. I mainly use yarn as a marker, but I'd like to get some pretty ones just for the heck of it to add to my collection of knitting 'equipment.' Now if I say it that way, I can justify to myself getting another knitting trinket or toy to oogle :thumbsup:

Mirl56
03-10-2008, 06:42 AM
http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CATID=cat2874&PRODID=prd32214&source=search
These are my favorite markers. They come in a larger size, too.

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CATID=cat2874&PRODID=prd32215&source=search
and these are my 2nd favorite. They also come in 2 sizes.

I don't much care for the fancey beaded ones - I find them too heavy to actually use. While they are 'pretty' and nice to have and look at, they just are not practical - I'd rather spend my stash money on yarn that I can use rather then tools just to look at.

Limey
03-10-2008, 08:50 AM
http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CATID=cat2874&PRODID=prd32214&source=search
These are my favorite markers. They come in a larger size, too.

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CATID=cat2874&PRODID=prd32215&source=search
and these are my 2nd favorite. They also come in 2 sizes.

I don't much care for the fancey beaded ones - I find them too heavy to actually use. While they are 'pretty' and nice to have and look at, they just are not practical - I'd rather spend my stash money on yarn that I can use rather then tools just to look at.

Hiya Mirl

That's why I like the ones I use http://www.countonknit.com - all the new ones are very light.

All the Best

Ellie

knitgal
03-10-2008, 08:50 AM
I had some lovely markers made for me by REVS in the Winter Wonderland swap. I almost always use those now, they're beautiful!

tokmom
03-10-2008, 11:05 AM
Nothing fancy, just soft ring markers. I use purple for the end and green for the middle. :mrgreen:

dreamsherl
03-10-2008, 11:36 AM
I like these the most, but I do have a few fancy ones. These also come in small.
http://www.tapestrycraft.com.au/catalog/images/large/4711.jpg

PurlyGyrl
03-10-2008, 03:42 PM
Whatever is handy at the time-waste yarn, paper clips, rubber bands. I can never find my stitch markers when I need them. I've got to reorganize my knitting bag!

ecb
03-10-2008, 11:33 PM
usually enough to share, and or sell
I love making them for my work, I can make them heavy or light, MANY MANY of the same ones, or a few varieties of a similar design
making them is so much fun, and having enough for any project I M working on.
I also have the plastic rings, and safety pins, and paper clips, for backups

ecb

gingerbread
03-11-2008, 08:05 AM
Like everyone says what is at hand. I do have the pin ones but I do love my fancy ones. I made them myself because I couldn't afford to buy them. Some are really expensive.
Our own Elli on KH makes some beautiful ones. I am hoping to be able to buy some this summer.
So again what ever comes in handy at the time then of course the wonderful paper clip is great.:roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard:

Carrie218
03-11-2008, 08:26 AM
I hate heavy, clunky, or complicated ones...

I go to my local beauty-supply store and buy the tiny rubber bands that African American women use when making hundreds of braids on their heads; you get hundreds of rubber-bands for about .99 cents and THAT can't be beat!

momwolf
03-11-2008, 10:13 AM
I use Ellie's marks because you can put them on anytime during your knitting to mark stitch patterns :cheering: and her needles are FABULOUS:woot:

dawnk777
03-11-2008, 12:38 PM
My older daughter crochets and had a split-ring marker, for her crocheting. I happened to find one, when I was working on a 12-row cable pattern. It was nice to be able to move it to the top, everytime I completed the 12th row, so I could keep track of where I was, in the pattern.

ritaw
03-11-2008, 12:40 PM
I use Ellie's marks because you can put them on anytime during your knitting to mark stitch patterns :cheering: and her needles are FABULOUS:woot:
I agree with you. I also use Limey's stitchmarkers and they are so light and very beautiful too. The needles are fantastic to work with as well. I highly recommend them.:woot:

Ronda
03-11-2008, 12:47 PM

I have a question about those kind of markers: After pinching them closed and opening them several times, does the metal break? (Maybe I don't understand how they're used. I'm under the impression that you need to pinch them shut so they don't just flop off the needle.)

cftwo
03-11-2008, 01:12 PM
I'm not really that picky about stitch markers so long as they slide nicely along the needles and don't get caught in the knitting. I find that it's the size of the ring that makes the most difference - the pretty beaded ones aren't any more or less of a pain than the plain ones. So I use pretty ones when I can. :)

Debkcs
03-11-2008, 01:21 PM
I have some of the beaded stitch markers, I've made some of them, others have been gifts. I prefer to use the little stretchies that I put up my DGD's hair with. For row markers, I use coiless safety pins. I can even attach little notes to myself on them :teehee:

Wildfire
03-12-2008, 03:58 AM
Thanks everyone! It's really neat to see all the different pictures and get links to some of the different places for stitch markers.

:woohoo:

Sanibelle
03-12-2008, 10:50 AM
I lose them so often so now I go to the bead department at Michael's and buy jump rings. They come in all sizes and they are really inexpensive. I bought some over the weekend - over 100 for $3.00 They are lightweight and slide really easily. Plus since they are so inexpensive if I lose them I do not beat myself up.

Knitting_Guy
03-12-2008, 12:02 PM
ECB was kind enough to make me some markers with wooden beads with the primary one having a nice little toolbox charm so it was more for a guy. They're still my favorite markers.