PDA

View Full Version : I Almost Fell Off My Chair

Knitting_Guy
03-10-2008, 08:11 AM
After I parked my rig for the night I accidentally walked over to a pub for a couple of cold ones before turning in for the night. Being Sunday night the place wasn't overly busy, mostly a few truckers and some locals.

Naturally I took my knitting backpack along. I was sitting at the bar working on the alpaca vest when this guy walked over and asked what kind of yarn I was using as he could tell (from the other end of the bar) that it wasn't wool.

I was shocked that this guy knew enough about fibers that he recognized that I wasn't using sheep wool. I told him it was alpaca and he checked it out, felt it, etc. while explaining that he used to raise llamas.

He asked about my project, how long I'd been knitting, and all of that. He doesn't knit but said that his wife does. Once he returned to where he was sitting I could here him having a long conversation with his friends about alpacas, llamas, and knitting in general.

I was truly shocked by the whole thing although I guess I shouldn't have been.

Mulderknitter
03-10-2008, 08:22 AM
My stepfather raises sheep and is very knowledgeable about wool. He's a big tough farm guy, but probably would have said something to you too, since I knit and he loves to talk about wool!:yay:

Limey
03-10-2008, 08:47 AM
Hiya Mason

I'm shocked AND horrified - fancy that bloke not recognising an alpaca vest when it's staring him in the face! Tut! Men!:teehee:

All the Best
Ellie
http://www.countonknit.com

Sunshine's Mom
03-10-2008, 09:36 AM
That's a great story. I would've had to walk over and talk to you too. I don't get to talk knitting with people (other than you folks) without having people's eyes glaze over.

bethany
03-10-2008, 09:39 AM
Hiya Mason

I'm shocked AND horrified - fancy that bloke not recognising an alpaca vest when it's staring him in the face! Tut! Men!:teehee:

All the Best
Ellie
:teehee:

Bummer he doesn't raise them anymore--!! I was sure the story was going to end with you getting some free haul! ;)

tokmom
03-10-2008, 11:11 AM
That's kinda cool! :thumbsup:

dreamsherl
03-10-2008, 11:32 AM
You always run into very interesting people.

Debkcs
03-10-2008, 01:21 PM
You always run into very interesting people

Of course he does, he's a trucker. Some of the most interesting people in a very small world haul the stuff that you and I couldn't get if not for them putting up with the life style of a driver.

dmknits
03-10-2008, 02:11 PM
Cool. I enjoy reading your knitting in public stories. :)

lelvsdgs
03-10-2008, 02:32 PM
I accidentally walked over to a pub for a couple of cold ones before turning in for the night.
Accidentally huh... a likely story... one I will use in the future!

PurlyGyrl
03-10-2008, 03:38 PM
Accidently, huh? :wink: Yeah, yeah, yeah.

Like I "accidently" find myself in the bookstore or the yarn shop. :shifty:

gatorjade
03-10-2008, 04:28 PM
I could only hope to find a husband who's that in-tune with my knitting!

Mommy22alyns
03-10-2008, 05:33 PM
That is awesome!! I probably would have been floored too.

auburnchick
03-10-2008, 06:23 PM
Accidently, huh? :wink: Yeah, yeah, yeah.

Like I "accidently" find myself in the bookstore or the yarn shop. :shifty:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too! :teehee:

KnitClickChick
03-10-2008, 08:30 PM
Mason, I love your stories! Thanks for sharing :happydance:

snowbear
03-10-2008, 08:51 PM
Mason, don't ever stop sharing..lol You bring humor & laughter along w/ your knitting know how..

Thanks for being you..

(Accidently... I remember the kids always using that line... not saying I didn't as well, lol)

chesagrey
03-10-2008, 08:58 PM
How cool! i'm going to start taking my knitting to dog shows and see what happens. although i'm usually too busy, but one never knows.

The.Knitter
03-10-2008, 09:11 PM
Hmmm, accidentally. I went on the KP site and accidentally gave them my DH's credit card number and accidentally they claim I ordered a set of Harmony sock needles (which have not come in the mail yet).

So I can see how you would accidentally walk to the bar and accidentally order a few cold ones!

You of all people should not have been shocked that a big burly man approached you to talk about your yarn. I am surprised that you were shocked! LOL.

You are so much fun Mason. I love hearing your stories. If you ever get up to Ontario, it would be fun to meet you I think!

KnitClickChick
03-10-2008, 11:28 PM
Hmmm, accidentally. I went on the KP site and accidentally gave them my DH's credit card number and accidentally they claim I ordered a set of Harmony sock needles (which have not come in the mail yet).

:roflhard:

Mulderknitter
03-11-2008, 08:29 AM

So I can see how you would accidentally walk to the bar and accidentally order a few cold ones!

You of all people should not have been shocked that a big burly man approached you to talk about your yarn. I am surprised that you were shocked! LOL.

You are so much fun Mason. I love hearing your stories. If you ever get up to Ontario, it would be fun to meet you I think!
hmmm. I seem to have had the same accident the other day. Seems Harmony sock needles must be prone to "accidents":roflhard:

msoebel
03-11-2008, 10:31 AM
After I parked my rig for the night I accidentally walked over to a pub for a couple of cold ones before turning in for the night.
Naturally I took my knitting backpack along. I was sitting at the bar working on the alpaca vest when this guy walked over and asked what kind of yarn I was using as he could tell (from the other end of the bar) that it wasn't wool.
I was shocked that this guy knew enough about fibers that he recognized that I wasn't using sheep wool. I told him it was alpaca and he checked it out, felt it, etc. while explaining that he used to raise llamas.

First of all...I love how you accidentally ended up in a pub. I "accidentally" do lots of stuff too.

Secondly...I think it's great that he approached you. Because that is exactly the kind of guy who would probably be uncomfortable approaching one of us ladies to have the same conversation. I think that's awesome!:thumbsup: (And a big dorky thumbs up for you, just because I feel like it.)

Knitting_Guy
03-11-2008, 07:53 PM
Hiya Mason

All the Best
Ellie

:rofl:

Knitting_Guy
03-11-2008, 07:55 PM
You always run into very interesting people.

I've found that most people can be interesting if you can break the ice and get them talking. I don't have a shy bone in my body so I can usually strike up a conversation with just about anyone.

Knitting_Guy
03-11-2008, 07:57 PM
Yeah, that's what I was thinking too! :teehee:

No, really. It was purely by accident. I was heading for the church and took a wrong turn.

Really.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

twoxover
03-11-2008, 07:58 PM
Mason-

you are great! please post photos of the vest...i can't wait to see it.

ok, i have to admit...i have a soft spot for long haul truckers...my dad was one <grin>. though, he never knitted...

betsey

Knitting_Guy
03-11-2008, 07:58 PM

Yeah, I shouldn't have been but it was a total surprise.

The.Knitter
03-11-2008, 08:04 PM
So, I want to know what special service the church was holding on a Monday night? When you were done in the pub, did you feel blessed (or just broke)?

Knitting_Guy
03-11-2008, 08:32 PM
So, I want to know what special service the church was holding on a Monday night? When you were done in the pub, did you feel blessed (or just broke)?

It was Sunday and yeah, I felt fairly blessed. I was still able to walk a straight line back to my truck :rofl:

The.Knitter
03-11-2008, 09:52 PM
That's blessed enough. Glad you had a good time with your friend JD (it was supposed to be your friend JC though if you had turned in the correct direction). :roflhard:

Knitting_Guy
03-11-2008, 10:00 PM
it was supposed to be your friend JC though if you had turned in the correct direction. :roflhard:

Well, I figure He's around pretty much all the time, don't need a special building for that ya know.

The.Knitter
03-11-2008, 10:05 PM
Well there was holy water there, or was that fire water.... doesn't matter what building you are in, so long as your heart is in the right place. MY DH says to tell you "one for Jesus, one for me, one for Jesus, one for me, one for Jesus hic, one vor meeeeeeeee, one for Jess hic, two for da road. Bartender, put this on Jess' tab!"

knit2btied
03-11-2008, 10:46 PM
Well, I figure He's around pretty much all the time, don't need a special building for that ya know.

Good answer IMHO!

Knitting_Guy
03-12-2008, 07:34 AM
Well there was holy water there, or was that fire water.... doesn't matter what building you are in, so long as your heart is in the right place. MY DH says to tell you "one for Jesus, one for me, one for Jesus, one for me, one for Jesus hic, one vor meeeeeeeee, one for Jess hic, two for da road. Bartender, put this on Jess' tab!"

Lisa R.
03-12-2008, 10:14 AM

I find it highly amusing that a trucker sitting in a pub knitting finds it shocking that a guy in the pub knows about wool!:rofl:

cindycactus
03-12-2008, 10:53 AM
That is exactly what dh says. You so remind me of my son. I have a picture of him taken a few years back with his beard and hat. Looks so much like your avatar. He was a tanker driver for years. Now works for a Tow Truck company.

Knitting_Guy
03-12-2008, 11:57 AM
I find it highly amusing that a trucker sitting in a pub knitting finds it shocking that a guy in the pub knows about wool!:rofl:

Yeah, go figure :rofl:

dawnk777
03-12-2008, 01:33 PM
That's cool, that you met someone who knew about wool and knitting! My 15yo daughter comes out of her shell, when she gets to talk about knitting!

Arielluria
03-12-2008, 04:51 PM
If I ever meet another person who even knits (much less in public) I too will be shocked! Be they male OR female! LOL! It's amazing, we hang around here and on Ravelry so much it seems like the WHOLE WORLD knits, then we go out into the "real" world and find out they don't.............but they SHOULD!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Mulderknitter
03-12-2008, 08:50 PM
If I ever meet another person who even knits (much less in public) I too will be shocked! Be they male OR female! LOL! It's amazing, we hang around here and on Ravelry so much it seems like the WHOLE WORLD knits, then we go out into the "real" world and find out they don't.............but they SHOULD!!!!!!!!!! ;)
Gosh, I work in mental health, and you wouldn't belive how many times I have said to myself " I wish they would try to take up knitting!" LOL, I know it's not for everyone but goodness, it sure has helped me with my anxiety issues!

Arielluria
03-13-2008, 08:38 AM
Well, I figure He's around pretty much all the time, don't need a special building for that ya know.I couldn't agree more!
:woot:

You are also a blessing. I love your stories!

Knitting_Guy
03-13-2008, 11:24 AM
Gosh, I work in mental health, and you wouldn't belive how many times I have said to myself " I wish they would try to take up knitting!" LOL, I know it's not for everyone but goodness, it sure has helped me with my anxiety issues!

I dunno, some of those less than stable folks might be dangerous with pointy sticks :rofl:

lelvsdgs
03-13-2008, 07:11 PM
I dunno, some of those less than stable folks might be dangerous with pointy sticks :rofl:
I tell my daughter to keep her knitting with her on the bus, makes a good weapon.:roflhard:

Mulderknitter
03-13-2008, 08:41 PM
I tell my daughter to keep her knitting with her on the bus, makes a good weapon.:roflhard:
Ah, the beauty of using a hobby as a potential weapon....the possibilities are endless...:roflhard: