PDA

View Full Version : That will never fit over her head!!!

EssenceRose
03-11-2008, 01:54 AM
Hello, everyone. I am writing here… PLEADING with someone to help me figure this out. I’ve found a pattern for a gorgeous poncho to fit my 10 month old daughter. I bought the yarn and started it today…. three times. shakes fists in frustration

I’m getting SO annoyed! The foundation row is 36 stitches (to start the neck edge) using worsted weight yarn and a 5.5 mm hook.

So I did that… not big enough. Went up to a 6mm hook. Again, no good. Went up to a 7 mm hook. STILL not big enough (and I am making the stitches as loose as I can). Then I tried an 8mm hook, which just makes the foundation row look wonky and twisted. sigh I can’t just add more stitches to it, however, because the pattern is worked in a multiple of 8. So I thought maybe I could make it so that it had buttonholes at the neck edge or something??? The pattern goes like this:

Beg at neck edge, ch 36. Taking care not to turn chain (which I didn’t), join ch w/ a sl st forming a ring.
RND 1: ch3, work 2 dc in same ch as joining (first corner made), dc in next 8 ch, work 3dc in next dc, dc in next 8 ch 3 times. Join rnd w/ sl st in 3rd ch of ch-3.

Ok, so I’ve done all that exactly and there is NO way that this poncho will fit over her head using only 36 chains, and if I go beyond a 7mm hook it just looks sloppy. Can anyone PLEASE help?? It would be really appreciated!! TIA!!

cmk
03-11-2008, 02:54 AM
Are you getting gauge? If the pattern is from a book or magazine, you might find an errata page.

Frustrating, isn't it.
Good luck.

Mike
03-11-2008, 07:45 AM
Why can't you add 8 stitches?

EssenceRose
03-11-2008, 04:45 PM
I can, but I'm useless at working out how to do the rest of the pattern if I do that... The rest of it would be thrown off and I'd never know where to do my increases and decreases. :(

EssenceRose
03-11-2008, 04:45 PM
Thanks for that. I'll go look to see if there is an errata for it... :)