PDA

View Full Version : Stitch pattern books - need opinions

KnittingNat
03-11-2008, 06:17 AM
My birthday is coming in 2.5 months and i'm seriously considering getting some knitting books. I want a stitch library, but i don't know which one. There are Vogue guides and Harmony guides and there are Barbara Walker's Treasuries (schoolhousepress have a special price on the 4 of them as set). Which would you prefer and why? If you have some of them - please give me your opinions.
Thank you!

dustinac
03-11-2008, 08:54 AM
I have gotten the BW treasures a few times from the library and really like them...they are very nice and contain a lot of info :thumbsup:

dreamsherl
03-11-2008, 09:47 AM
I have the Barbara Walker book and it is truly a treasure.

The.Knitter
03-11-2008, 09:51 AM
I have The Knitting Stitch Bible by Maria Parry-Jones. It has everything I need to make any stitch I've ever seen. It is a great book!

KnittingNat
03-11-2008, 02:51 PM
From what i saw, B. Walker's books have all the stitches in one book (knit purl, lace, cables) and each book adds more stitches, while the others are divided by different stitches. Arrgh, I'm confused :hair:

The.Knitter
03-11-2008, 02:56 PM
The Stitch Bible has it all, knits, purls, cables, lace, bobbles, intarsia, fair isle; you need it, it's got it!

Coolazity1
03-11-2008, 03:36 PM
I don't own any of them myself (even though I asked for quite a few for Christmas), but when I'm sitting in a bookstore, I tend to flip through the Vogue guides, because I can pick one up and see stitches by the different categories, even though the yarn colors aren't my favorites.

KnittingNat
03-12-2008, 02:48 AM
Thanks everyone! I think i'll think about it :think: . I'd love some more opinions and i think other knitters would benefit from the results of this poll:cheering:

Mirl56
03-12-2008, 06:34 AM
Check your library and see if they have any of them.

Mine has the cable versions of the Vogue & Harmony guides. I check them both out fairly often. I do like them both, Harmony had more stitch patterns, but I think I prefer Vogue better. The photos are better, it has both written and chart directions for each pattern. Harmony didn't have charts for some, and a few of the photos were poor - part of the stitch pattern was cut off.

KnittingNat
03-12-2008, 07:55 AM
I live in Israel and our libraries don't have knitting books and definitely not these in particular, so i can't really know. Thanks for the input :hug:

Spikey
03-12-2008, 08:05 AM
I recently purchased the 365 Knitting Stitches a Year Perpetual Calendar (http://www.amazon.com/Knitting-Stitches-Year-Perpetual-Calendar/dp/1564774325/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1205323417&sr=8-1) and am very pleased with the variety of stitches. Also, on the Knitting Nonsense website, there is a list of the stitch counts & dates, which is really handy if you are looking for a particular number of stitches. HTH.

Plantgoddess+
03-12-2008, 08:47 AM
I have a stitch pattern book from the 1970's by Barbara Abbey that I like. An even more comprehensive book I found at the library was Readers Digest book of knitting which has tons of stitches.

queentr
03-12-2008, 09:00 AM
Hi
I have received for the holidays the B. Walker 4 treasury books and the knitting bible (I am so lucky!!). Thay are quite comprehensive and a delight to read through, overwhelming at times, but very useful. I am assembling a baby blanket based on stitches found in the BW treasures, and I just picked what appealed to me.
queentr