PDA

View Full Version : WotA - need opinions

divagirl
03-11-2008, 02:05 PM
So I want to make myself a CPH. My first instinct was Ultra alpaca, which I love so much I want to marry it, but WotA is a little easier on the budget and one of the colors just cried out 'pick me!'. I have only used WotA for felting and I am always afraid of the itchies. Will it soften up after a bath in SOAK?

Jan in CA
03-11-2008, 02:39 PM
I find almost all wool itchy so I'm not a good judge of that, but I will tell you it pills like crazy. I don't recommend it for garments, especially something as time consuming as the CPH.

Ingrid
03-11-2008, 02:41 PM
I agree. If you're going to put in all that effort, to have it look lousy before it's even done is defeating.

Go with something you love--you're worth it!

Momto G B and H
03-11-2008, 08:27 PM
I just finished making my DH a sweater vest with WOTA. It feels kinda scratchy on the ball, but it's pretty soft as knitted fabric. You might buy a ball and knit a swatch to give it a try.

divagirl
03-15-2008, 03:40 PM
thank you guys for your input. Mom - I did swatch a little WotA that I had leftover from a felting project. It was nice, but I decided to go with the Ultra alpaca. I splurge on everyone else, why not on me? LOL I am petting it as we speak...Tanzanite mix, it's so pretty!

knit2btied
03-15-2008, 03:52 PM
It was nice, but I decided to go with the Ultra alpaca. I splurge on everyone else, why not on me? LOL I am petting it as we speak...Tanzanite mix, it's so pretty!

Where's the picture????

knitncook
03-16-2008, 09:10 AM
I agree with Jan and Ingrid. It's a wonderful yarn for felting, but I haven't liked it for other projects. It pills horribly and never truly softens up. :( It's a great price for making clogs and other felted items, but for clothing I would go with a softer and better quality wool. It's disheartening to put so much work into a project and not end up with a nice finished item.

If you are looking for more inexpensive softer yarn, Wool-ease is NOT a bad product and gives a fairly nice look. *And* it is on sale starting today at JoAnn for $2 a ball (I think that's about a dollar off - can't remember as I always buy it on sale LOL!) While it doesn't have a lot of wool in it, it does have some, is washable and is generally soft.

divagirl
03-17-2008, 11:40 AM
knit2btied - I liked the look of it on the website and it was even prettier live and in color! it's like a soft hazy gray with little blue and purple flecks.

knitncook - I will never give up WotA for felting1 I love Noni bags and you just can't beat the price. I have used WoolEase and I like it! it's great for afghans...I just don't have the patience to hand wash an afghan.

VictoiseC
03-18-2008, 03:26 PM
what's a CPH? :verysad:

Plantgoddess+
03-18-2008, 03:28 PM
Central Park Hoody.

VictoiseC
03-18-2008, 04:36 PM
AH HA! I think I have that somewhere around here....