PDA

View Full Version : Success!

Viridian
03-12-2008, 03:28 PM
I didn't know where else to put this. Last night, I went to a new LYS (really nice Romanian woman talked to me for a while and she recommended a new needle for my project). I bought a circular bamboo needle and it works so well, I think I'm sticking with bamboo. I bought a new skein and then came on to work on ribbing again.

It works! It's looking so pretty and I'm so happy that I can finally get this down. I also just got a ravelry account and I'll be posting pictures of my work so far there. :D It's not perfect, but at least I can see the freakin' ribbing.

Thought I'd bounce. :D Thanks guys!

mwhite
03-12-2008, 03:44 PM
:yay: :cheering: :woohoo: I love bamboo needles!

lelvsdgs
03-12-2008, 06:57 PM
Excellent! It's great to have someone locally who can help you out. Just keep working on it and you'll be on to the next thing in no time...

knit2btied
03-12-2008, 07:18 PM
I went to Ravelry and viewed your projects. Very nice!!!

princessbonniejane
03-12-2008, 08:45 PM
I LOVE BAMBOO!!! I am so glad you joined me with my bamboo knitting needles! and I am glad you can see the ribbing. WOO HOO

Mulderknitter
03-12-2008, 08:47 PM
I love to work with bamboo as well, especially with a new yarn or pattern, congrats on learning the ribbing! Isn't it rewarding to see it come out how you planned it to !:yay:

WandaT
03-13-2008, 06:56 AM
Congrats! It's so excited to find a product you really like and master a new technique!

Viridian
03-13-2008, 02:05 PM
I went to Ravelry and viewed your projects. Very nice!!!

The pictures of my projects are such crap, too. :) Couldn't get a good shot of them at all.

Thank you everyone for the kind words! :hug:

Plantgoddess+
03-13-2008, 02:18 PM
:woohoo: That's great! Finding tools that help you accomplish what you want is a great step forward. Good luck building on your successes.

Viridian
03-14-2008, 02:35 AM
So I went back to look at a picture of my original pattern. My scarf doesn't look anything like it. There is still ribbing (which was my goal in the first place), but I apparently hold my yarn too loose or something. The scarf is knitted like thick lace -- somewhat holey but still very warm -- while the picture of the pattern was very tight.

I'm not sure what I did wrong, but I'm kinda thinking it doesn't matter. I have third of a pretty scarf. It's just a little frustrating. The only thing I did wrong with the pattern is instead of casting on 30, I casted on 24. It's a k1, p1 pattern, so it shouldn't make a difference, as long as it's even.

... right?

italianchildhood
03-15-2008, 10:29 AM
Right, it shouldn't.
You either knit loosely or you used a different yarn/needle combination?
Either way, if you're happy with it, it's all good!

I had never heard of bamboo needles...

Viridian
03-15-2008, 08:21 PM
I knit loosely, which is a lot of it. The website said you could use any yarn and size 8, 9 or 10 needles (I'm using 10), so I probably just don't hold my yarn tight enough.

Bamboo needles are -incredibly- light and the yarn just moves easier. I thought that metal would be the best, being so slick, but I've had easier time with bamboo -- and sometimes, you can get them a lot cheaper. I spent $7 for metal needles and I got these for $6, though I think I got lucky with purchasing them at a small LYS.