View Full Version : Is this combination knitting?

03-13-2008, 12:24 AM
I knit continental. When I'm knitting ribbing in the round on socks, I knit the knit stitches plain. But on the purl stitches, I knit through the back loop and scoop the working yarn, essentially wrapping it backwards. Since I'm going around, it produces a stitch that sits on the needle backward, but is not twisted. I guess knitting the back loop plus wrapping backwards equals a normal looking, but backwards facing stitch.

It's a really fast way to do ribbing and I like it. It makes a normal looking fabric, and makes switiching back and forth from knit to purl really easy. I just think, "Scoop, front, scoop, back, etc." Is this combination knitting?

Jan in CA
03-13-2008, 01:41 AM
I'm not sure I understand...do you move the yarn to the front for purls though? Anyhoo... Here's a link that might answer your question.

Becky Morgan
03-13-2008, 10:45 AM
Sounds like it to me. I had no idea what I do was "combination" anything. It works, and that's all that matters.

03-13-2008, 11:16 AM
Thanks Jan. That's a neat site, but her description of a purl stitch is not quite what I do. The scooping is the same, but I purl through the back loop. I guess if I was working flat, I'd need to go through the front loop, and then knit it combination on the way back, but going in the round, I just purl the purls so that they're seated backwards. It looks almost exactly like a mirrored knit stitch.

It's really fast and comfortable and produces the same looking ribbing with no twists. It could always be that I'm just weird! LOL

Jan in CA
03-13-2008, 01:10 PM
Well, if are happy with it and with the fabric it creates thats all that matters! There are no knitting police! :teehee: