PDA

View Full Version : knitting for dummies?

twoxover
03-13-2008, 08:05 AM
hi everyone-

borders is having a 30% sale off of their dummies books...worth it to pick up knitting for dummies??? (because, yes, i am a dumb blonde!)

betsey

box_of_cereal
03-13-2008, 08:18 AM
YES! It's a really good book. I learned a lot of things from that book and I strongly recomend it for you. It goes in detail about how to make different things, explains everything (increases, decreases, yarn overs, knit, purl, cables, lace, etc.) in great detail and often in both continental and english. Definately get it if there's a sale on it.

photolady
03-13-2008, 08:35 AM
Yes, it's a good reference book.
30% off is a good deal, too.

Have you checked Amazon.com, for an even lower price?

You can get one for 5 dollars, plus shipping. Would that still be less
than Border's price?

$4.99
+ $3.99shipping

* LOW ITEM PRICE

Used - Good

Seller: aimcannonfire
Rating:99% positive over the past 12 months (636 ratings.) 4995 lifetime ratings.
Shipping: In Stock. Ships from GA, United States Expedited shipping available See shipping rates

$5.00
+ $3.99shipping

New

Seller: Cecilia Orphan
Rating: (Seller Profile)
Shipping: In Stock. Expedited shipping available. See shipping rates. See return policy.

psquidy
03-13-2008, 08:47 AM
I have the older version and found it helpfull for reference but to learn how to actually knit and purl I don't think it's the best source. But if you already know how to do those two things then it is worth picking up to learn a little more.

Knitting_Guy
03-13-2008, 11:26 AM
Wow, they wrote a knitting book just for me? :cheering:

Fantine
03-13-2008, 01:05 PM
I have this book, and it was one of the first reference books I got when I returned to knitting. There are errors in some of the pattern directions, and the illustrations aren't the easiest to follow (Visually Teach Yourself Knitting is better for that.) But I think the book explains the theory behind things like increases and decreases and lace patterns better than most, so I found it helpful. I'm actually going to buy the Crocheting for Dummies book at Borders, given that it's also on sale.

Kaillech
03-13-2008, 04:46 PM
Wow, they wrote a knitting book just for me? :cheering:

You and me both. :)

photolady
03-14-2008, 09:23 PM
I have this book, and it was one of the first reference books I got when I returned to knitting. There are errors in some of the pattern directions,

Speaking of errors in books, I found yet another mistake, after spending an hour knitting a new slip stitch pattern today.
Man, that makes me mad!! :gah: :grrr: :tap: :wall: :mad: :hair: :!!!: I just clipped the whole thing off the needles, and threw it in the trash.

So far, I've found 3 or 4 patterns with mistakes in them.

One was a cable pattern, but, I recognized the mistake before actually knitting it.

photolady
03-14-2008, 09:29 PM
Anyways, before you buy any book, go to Amazon and look for the discounted books.
Sometimes you can get a book for a dollar.

Or, a PENNY!!:present:
A Good Yarn (The Knitting Books #2)
by Debbie Macomber (Author)
$0.01
+ $3.99shipping
Used - Good

Weekend knitting projects
by Margaret Hubert (Author)
$0.19
+ $3.99shipping

Used - Good

clarkeee
03-15-2008, 09:38 AM
This was the first book I purchased because "dummy" books have helped me so much in the past. It was VERY helpful to me when I first started. Even now I go back to it from time to time. :)

twoxover
03-17-2008, 08:30 AM
Border ended up not having the Dummies book! i was bummed! i did however buy the yarn harlot's cast off book, as well as a book for teens and knitting (my 14 year old wants to learn), so all was not lost!

betsey