PDA

View Full Version : American Wool

RadarEars
03-14-2008, 05:34 AM
Hi,

I'm in the UK and I've been asked to knit a shrug from a vintage pattern.

The pattern is an American one and dates back to 1951 (yes, 1951!!)

The wool it recommends is Tuxedo Brand Angora and the American size needles are 5 and 10 (standard).

I know which English needle sizes I need and I also know that American dress sizes are different to ours, so I'm fine with that part.

What I'm not sure of is the equivalent in English wool, bearing in mind it is such an old pattern.

I've been to my local shop (where my friend works) and we've looked at all the wools, the one that we think is nearest to it (or could be) is a Cashmere, Angora, Merino mix.

Has anyone got any idea of a suitable alternative or would that be ok ?

Regards

Jill

Silver
03-14-2008, 07:00 AM
That's such an old yarn, there's nothing on the internet about it (that Google could find anyway). I suggest you just go with a yarn of similar weight based on the gauge requirements of the pattern. If it requires a size 5 needle, I'm guessing the yarn should be a DK weight, but you'll need to check on that.

Here's a list (http://www.yarndex.com/search.cfm?action=search_adv&ss=DK+Angora&wt_1=&wt_2=&wt_3=on&wt_4=on&wt_5=&wt_6=&yarn_weight_id=47&fiber_id=11&CFID=11641934&CFTOKEN=32672064) of some Angora or Angora blend DK weights. :)

RadarEars
03-14-2008, 07:38 AM
Thank you for that, I'd tried to google and found zilch on there too!

I was half-wondering about DK but wasn't sure if it would be too heavy or not, now I've got a second opinion I feel a bit more confident of advising the person that wants the shrug, what wool to buy.

I'll also take a look at the link that you have given me.

Thanks a million for taking the trouble to reply, have a nice weekend.

Regards

Jill