PDA

View Full Version : Pain in right elbow and numb fingers

KnittingNat
03-16-2008, 04:10 AM
I wanted to know if this sounds like knitting related problem. I've been having a slight pain in the inner part of my right elbow and my ring finger and pinky are getting numb and i have this prickling sensation at their tips. In the morning it's worse and after i put something warm on the elbow (i have a knitted wool sort of sleeve) it gets better. Does it sound like a knitting injury? I'm thinking of visiting an orthopedist and i don't know what to do.

knitncook
03-16-2008, 11:45 AM
Could be tendonitis (tennis elbow) People get this from doing repetative motions with any joint or holding a joint in a rigid position for an extended period of time. I used to have this problem (and still do from time to time) in my left elbow because I tend to sleep with my arm tucked under my back. I've had to train myself not to do this. I took a big chunk of enamel off the stove when I dropped a cast iron skillet on the stove because my arm gave out on me.

Make sure when you knit that you give your hands and elbows a break from time to time. Most doctors will recommend 10-15 minutes per hour of repetative motion.

The.Knitter
03-16-2008, 11:58 AM
Yes, it sounds like tennis elbow to me as well. Perhaps one of the mods can remember where the post was on stretching exercises to help prevent tennis elbow. I think it might be a good idea to see the doctor. That way you battle it before it gets so bad that you can't knit! Good luck!

Jan in CA
03-16-2008, 01:28 PM
Yep, there are all kinds of threads about carpal tunnel and elbow problems like yours.

I think this one has some exercise to do.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67704

:hug:

KnittingNat
03-16-2008, 02:16 PM
Thank you, everyone! I'll make an appointment tomorrow to see a doctor and then ask for physiotherapy. I think that the fact i work mainly on computer and also knit a lot lately has caused this problem. I'll do the exercises and try not to knit so much :shock:.

annomalley
03-16-2008, 02:51 PM
I have tendonitis in my right wrist, and one thing that makes a huge difference for me is the type of needle I use. When I started using the slick metal needles, my wrist stopped aching when I knit, and I haven't had any knitting related problems. That's something you might want to consider, too.

You might want to also consider moving your keyboard and mouse so it's more ergonomically "correct" for you. I don't know if your employer has this, but my employer has someone that will come in and adjust the work station to fit whomever sits there.

KnittingNat
03-16-2008, 04:20 PM
I'm knitting with Options, so they are slick enough, i think. It's just that i work on the computer all day, not always in the right posture and i'm aware of that. I'll try to pay that a lot more attention. I also have to adjust the computer at home.

Jeremy
03-17-2008, 12:03 PM
That sounds like the distribution of the ulnar nerve. Are you leaning on something as you knit? It may be the way you hold your arm as you knit. Good luck.:hug:

suzeeq
03-19-2008, 11:03 AM
It does sound like the ulnar nerve is being pinched or squeezed. Do some stretches of the lower arm and wrist; and straighten out your elbow frequently along with massaging the inner upper arm. When you hold your arm bent a lot, it shortens the biceps and other muscles of your upper arm which can squeeze against nerves and blood vessels going to your hand and fingers.

Knitting_Guy
03-19-2008, 11:13 AM
Try knitting with your toes for a while to give your arm a break. :mrgreen:

suzeeq
03-19-2008, 12:27 PM
You must be part monkey Mason, if that works for you.... ;)

G J
03-19-2008, 06:12 PM
Be sure you go see an occupational therapist who is also a certified hand therapist. They're trained to WATCH you knit (or do whatever is causing the problem) and then will help you adjust what you do (or make a splint to help) so it doesn't cause pain.

KnittingNat
03-20-2008, 04:21 AM
Try knitting with your toes for a while to give your arm a break. :mrgreen:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

mare-nitt
04-18-2008, 04:25 PM
Knittingnat, thank you for this thread, I did a search and it came up.
I am having inner arm pain and I think between paper sorting with finger action for a few days straight and my nightly knitting I over did it.
So, I guess I have to take a week or so break to get it to heal up. Cause I sure don't want to give up knitting. Hopefully, there will be light at the end of the tunnel.
Thanks everyone for your suggestions on this topic.

KnittingNat
04-18-2008, 05:42 PM
Knittingnat, thank you for this thread, I did a search and it came up.
I am having inner arm pain and I think between paper sorting with finger action for a few days straight and my nightly knitting I over did it.
So, I guess I have to take a week or so break to get it to heal up. Cause I sure don't want to give up knitting. Hopefully, there will be light at the end of the tunnel.
Thanks everyone for your suggestions on this topic.
You're welcome :hug:! I'm working on PC all day long and sort papers all together and knit a lot, so it got really bad. I try to exercise and give my arms some rest whenever i can (my both hands are hurting). The numbness has passed, but i still experience the pain in my elbows. I tried to give it a break for a week and it seemed to help and then got back. I'm not trying to discourage you, i'm just thinking it needs more to it than rest. I take breaks and do some exercise and i'm also thinking of going to a physiotherapist, but i'll do it later, because i'm going abroad in a few weeks and to have the appointment canceled would be too bad. I'm also much more aware of my posture. I realized that i was knitting all cramped up, tense. I try to relax and put my arms down a bit while knitting. I'm also trying to improve my sitting position at work and not to lift anything heavier than 2-3 lbs.
Hope it will work out for you :hug:

vaknitter
04-18-2008, 10:43 PM
I agree that it is more likely and ulnar nerve issue and possible cubital tunnel syndrome. You may want to switch to icing the muscles of your forearm and see if you can find a point of tenderness in the muscles to massage and see if you are sleeping with your arm bent all up under you.
Tennis elbow is actually the outside aspect of your elbow and carpal tunnel would typically have more fingers involved in the numb feeling and you would loose strength in your hand.
Seeing a hand therapist is a good idea if it doesn't resolve itself within a few days.