PDA

View Full Version : General question about patterns.....>>>

boo1
03-16-2008, 12:00 PM
The one I am making is done flat, and it makes me wonder why so many that are done this way don't have you count rows, but instead measure in inches? It would be easier to me to measure rows.

?

gotta knit
03-16-2008, 12:30 PM
It would be so much easier, wouldn't it?

But everyone's knitting differs, with variables of tension, etc.
By telling you to work so many inches, it ensures your finished product is the proper length in certain areas, to help with the overall shaping.

It also simplifies things if you need a different size needle to get the proper gauge, or if you're substituting yarn. The # of rows given probably wouldn't apply, but you'd be able to knit the required length.

So what are you making? Hope it works up easily for you!

Mike
03-16-2008, 12:34 PM
Because your gauge for rows AND stitches is nearly impossible to match up perfectly for the pattern.

So they have you count stitches and measure rows.

What I do is count the rows and make the first panel or arm to length and then make the others to match the row count and block them to match in length. That way my seams match.

mwhite
And another good reason to do a swatch!

Carrie218
I actually just finished a sweater where the instructions were all in stitches and rows INSTEAD of inches. Guess what? It doesn't fit...

Instead of working a pattern I like, I am going to make sure to read it through carefully and if given instructions like "knit 30 stitches" instead of "knit two inches," I am going to ignore those patterns.

I'm pretty pissed as I worked six weeks on this sweater and there is no way to fix the fact that it is monstrously huge and ill-fitting.

spaghetti#9
03-18-2008, 04:53 PM
Mike, I love your advice about row counts and whatnot. Genius.

I'm pretty new to knitting sweaters, and having a problem with length myself. Maybe someone can help.

I'm knitting a baby sweater (in pieces) that was looking very "squat" -- much wider than long -- when I followed the suggested length of the pattern (in inches.) So I added a border to increase the length. Then I blocked the back (my first real block ever) -- and it GREW! A LOT. Just from being wet -- I never even pinned it! So I took the border out -- and now the proportions look pretty good. I'll probably do the same for the front pieces, now. But the problem is, the sweater is still just too big overall. It's a sailor sweater for a baby, and from the newly-sized back piece it looks like it could fit a 5 year old! I confess! -- I never swatched. I didn't think it would matter that much with a baby garment. Now I feel like I need to swatch, and block my swatches! But I fear I'm not determined enough for that.

Anyhow... my question is -- is this common? For garments to grow a huge deal (esp in length) with blocking -- even if they aren't intentionally stretched in the process?? Does anyone intentionally knit "short" for this reason?

Thanks,
Mary

Jan in CA
03-18-2008, 05:44 PM
I would MUCH rather measure than count rows myself.

suzeeq
03-19-2008, 12:08 PM
I never knit to a pattern's gauge, but use the needle size I like, so I've always knitted to measurements. If a pattern says to knit X rows, you can convert the number of rows to inches per the pattern gauge, and then either use that measurement, or convert to your gauge to get the correct number of rows for the length.

fibrenut
03-19-2008, 12:15 PM
I sorta look at it this way... after the umpteenth time of losing count and going back and trying to count 200 some odd rows... :zombie: I'll take the measuring tape anyday!!:whistle: