PDA

View Full Version : Help needed for a newbie

mrsgrumblebum
03-17-2008, 10:05 PM
Hi everyone hope your day has been going ok. I hope I have posted this in the right place. Here's my dilema I am a new knitter on circular needles but I'm wanting to buy some but I don't know which are the best brand to get. I have been looking at the knitpick ones which look lovely and the Denise ones also.
I have been knitting sock just on 2 straight needles which have a seem down the back and across the sides of the feet, and although I have these down pat I figured making them on the circular needles were the way to go as I just can't seem to get the knack of using DPN's Yesterday I bought 2 sets of circular needles to start my first attempt at socks on 2 circulars and the circulars have a slight bend where the cable joins the needle and this I don't like.
Anyone with advice as to which ones to purchase would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, :-P

knit2btied
03-17-2008, 10:29 PM
I like Susan Bates or Addy circular needles, myself. They can be purchased in a local store or on-line. The only thing is that you have to purchase them in various sizes.

Ingrid
03-17-2008, 11:14 PM
I'd say go with the Options from Knitpicks--they are very nice.

VictoiseC
03-18-2008, 03:35 PM
I have the set of Susan Bates but since I discovered Addis I can't seem to work on anything else. They are just so smooth like silk. I now have 4 pairs. They are so worth the money.

annomalley
03-18-2008, 08:08 PM
I like the Addi's and the Knit Picks because they are nice and slick, but for socks, I prefer the Knit Picks because of the pointy tip. Options don't come below a size 4, though, so if you're just looking for sock size needles, you'd have to get the Fixed Circulars.

Knitting_Guy
03-18-2008, 10:58 PM
I like my KP Options.

Jan in CA
03-18-2008, 11:09 PM
I have Denise, but don't use them anymore. I love my Options!

Silver
03-19-2008, 06:57 AM
Looks like you got some good input, and welcome to KH! :) But this topic belongs in the General Knitting forum, so I'll move it there. No worries! :)

missbree
03-19-2008, 07:07 AM
I have the knitpicks options needles in nickel. I love them. They are very similar to using the addi and the join of the needle with the cable is smooth. I have never had my yarn get snagged on the join. It is also a very strong join. You need the tool to take the needle off the cable. The only down fall is you have to remember what size needle you have placed on the cable and make sure you mark the pockets you put the needles in with the size, because they are not marked individually. It is worth the purchase.

I have a friend who is an experienced knitter and she does not like the Denise needles. She has had the needle come off the cable during a project and the yarn sticks on the needles. That is her experience. I just took her word for it.

WandaT
03-19-2008, 07:52 AM
Another vote for Knit Picks here. I love both my Options and Harmonies (am slowing accumulating tips). You just can't beat them for the money.

mrsgrumblebum
03-24-2008, 09:10 PM
:muah: A Big thank you to all that replied. Looks like I will be purchasing a set of knitpicks. Now off to find somewhere in australia to purchase them. :woohoo:

:knitting: :knitting: :knitting: