PDA

View Full Version : Relocating to Pittsburgh area?

knitpurlgurl
03-18-2008, 11:41 AM
My husband may accept a position in the Pittsburgh area. We are looking to move to western or north-western Allegheny County. Can anyone answer a few questions for me?

1.) What do you know about the neighborhoods? Is there a nice, rural neighborhood around the area?

2.) What are the best yarn shops in the area?

Thanks in advance!!

Foxyie
03-19-2008, 01:18 AM
hi knitpurl girl

i'm in the pittsburgh area.. i don't know of any areas around here that i would call rural..but i'd say most places are small cities with your usual good and bad parts of town.. i also don't know how far around you are looking to..so it's hard to say

there are a few yarn shops although i haven't been to any of them yet..can't say which is best!

this page has a whole list of them http://www.pittsburghknitting.com/shops.html

hope that helps!

AJSmyth
04-05-2008, 06:08 PM
I go to Pitt, so I've been to Knit One yarn store in Squirrel Hill. It's pretty nice, they have lots of different yarn, Cascade and Plymouth--off the top of my head. They also sell beads and buttons.
I order online from Knit Picks a lot because you can pretty much get the same thing as at the store for cheap. But Knit One is good if you want that whole atmosphere.

I don't know much about rural areas, but Pittsburgh is what I like to call a "fake city." It's not like Philadelphia or anything. Most people say it's a really nice place to live and the people are nice. I'm from the Philadelphia area and find that kind of thing strange, so my opinion is probably a little biased.

Knit One's a good bet, but there's also Michaels and Jo Ann Fabrics if you're into that kind of thing.