PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Oddball Baby Blanket KAL - Soft Worsted Weight Yarn

Pages : [1] 2 3

The.Knitter
03-18-2008, 06:28 PM
The Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto, Ontario, Canada has gratefully agreed to accept any donations of baby blankets made by the Canadian branch of the Oddball Baby Blanket KAL - KnittingHelp.com.

The hospital has certain requirements for these blankets. They must be 3 foot long (36 inches) by 3 foot wide (130 stitches) and must not be either yellow or green. They must be knit with acrylic yarn. The journals that go with the blankets, that tell the child or child`s family the journey the blanket has made to get to them, must not have any reference to religion or any get well wishes.

The hospital has good reason for all these special requests. The requested length and width of the blankets is because they use the blankets to cover the isolettes during the daytime so the babies can sleep better, and this is the size they need for total coverage of the isolette. They also wrap the child in the blankets for cuddle time. They have found that yellow and green clothing or blankets make a sick child look much more ill. They deal with many types of people so they don`t want religion mentioned in case it goes against the family`s beliefs. They don`t want get well wishes in the journal because some of these children will never get well so they don`t want hopes elevated unnecessarily.

I`ll start the journal and the blanket. I`ll CO and knit 6 inches and then mail the blanket to the next knitter, who will add their six inches, and so on and so on, until there are 30 inches knit. Each knitter will have two weeks to complete their part of the blanket. The blanket will then come back to me and I will knit the last six inches (in the same yarn the blanket started with), bind it off, wash it and package it for delivery to the hospital along with the journal for each blanket.

If you are a Canadian knitter and are interesting in participating in this project, please PM me or leave me a message here and I will get back to you as soon as I can.

Let`s show Toronto, Canada and The Hospital for Sick Children just how much Canadian knitters care about their younger generation!

cloud9

P.S. So far we have three members. I am hoping to see that number grow. There are a lot of sick babies in that hospital. It would be nice to give each one a blanket!

Jan in CA
03-18-2008, 07:39 PM
I'm not Canadian, but I think it's neat that you've started this! :thumbsup:

The.Knitter
03-18-2008, 08:40 PM
My part of Powder Puff is finished and will be shipped to the next knitter tomorrow.

knitgal
03-18-2008, 10:02 PM
Yahoo! That next knitter is ME. I can't wait.

sue in canada
03-18-2008, 10:41 PM
I'm in too after Knitgal. Come on Canadians, show your heart and help us with this project.

The.Knitter
03-18-2008, 10:41 PM
I`ll send you the tracking number tomorrow when I get back from the post office knitgal. Thanks for becoming a member!

The.Knitter
03-18-2008, 10:43 PM
Thanks Sue, you`ll get the blanket when knitgal is finished her knitting on it, so be on the lookout in a few weeks. Thanks for becoming a member.

Come on Canadian knitters! Let`s get busy and get those babies blankets to snuggle up with!

auburnchick
03-19-2008, 10:08 AM
Christine,

You need a button for your signature -- to promote this KAL. I'll add a link to it on my blog later.:thumbsup:

sue in canada
03-19-2008, 10:11 AM
Calling all Canadians. Where are you?

auburnchick
03-19-2008, 01:33 PM
Maybe y'all could try posting a note in the General forum.

The.Knitter
03-19-2008, 03:20 PM
Powder Puff is on the move!!! Knitgal, the tracking number is 0435 4810 0022 8663. For this one time only I sent it Express Post which means you will get it tomorrow. I wanted to get our project on the move because we area all so very excited about it.

I went to the store today and got another set of US 9's and a lovely ball of soft worsted weight yarn. The colours in it are brown and beige and pink. I think this will be a good start for Flower Garden, which will be the next blanket we knit.

Come on Canadian knitters, lets see your hearts!!!

P.S. Sorry I forgot to take a picture of our first blanket before it left my hands. Perhaps we can persuade Ms Knitgal to do that before she starts knitting on it!!! Please.....

Sajomaro
03-19-2008, 11:21 PM
Hi!

Count me in. Saw the thread about this in the general forums and thought it sounded like a good idea. I've already PM Christine and know the general requirements for the blankets but I have a couple of questions.

How much yarn does it take to knit the 6 inches? I want to make sure that I have enough of the yarn on hand when it's my turn.

Is there a specific type of yarn I should use? Other then acrylic worsted-weight that is. Is Bernat Super Value alright? Can someone recommend something softer?

TIA

The.Knitter
03-19-2008, 11:29 PM
Yahoo another member!!!

I found it didn`t even take a quarter of a skein. You could always store that part which you don`t use for future Canadian KAL blankets.

Red Heart Soft, Caron Simply Soft, Bernat Super Value are all good choices. So long as the yarn is worsted weight, and soft, and NOT yellow or green you will be fine.

Welcome to our group and thanks again for joining us!

The.Knitter
03-20-2008, 12:17 AM
Now this is more like it. Canadians are showing their hearts!

Another new member has joined our KAL. Welcome MommaG! I hope you enjoy working on this project. Thanks once again for joining us in this worthwhile venture.

sue in canada
03-20-2008, 08:42 AM
I am so pleased to see some more Canadians joining us.

knitgal
03-20-2008, 08:59 AM
Me too Sue! I knew that more people would join us once they knew about it. Now what's our membership like?

The.Knitter
03-20-2008, 10:07 AM
We are six strong right now. We are all the way across from Ontario to the west. The journals will have interesting stories to tell the children and their families. This is wonderful! The only thing that would be more wonderful is having a couple of blankets on the go at once.

Come on Canadians, show us your hearts!!!

khaosx5
03-20-2008, 10:16 AM
Can't wait for it to get to me. I know first hand how much good hospital like Sick Kids do. My son spent some time at Mac this past year. Maybe we could do some for them too in the future.
:knitting:

The.Knitter
03-20-2008, 10:21 AM
Welcome to our group. Thanks so much for joining.

That sounds like a good idea. First we have to finish the first blanket and see how that turns out. We'll branch out once we have a few more members.

Once again, welcome, and I will let you know when it's your turn.

knitgal
03-20-2008, 10:47 AM
Should it do it's Ontario tour before it makes it to the West?

The.Knitter
03-20-2008, 10:49 AM
Yes, I think that's a really good idea.

Shandeh
03-20-2008, 06:08 PM
You GO, Canadian Oddball Knitters!!
:cheering: :woohoo: :cheering:

MommaG
03-20-2008, 11:15 PM
Hi! I am so excited to be part of this Odd Ball Project. I am in on a couple of the other projects but am excited to partake in this Canadian one. My Dad spent time at Sick Childrens in TO when he was young not in the NICU but in the hospital so it kinda has a personal touch to it for me.

The.Knitter
03-20-2008, 11:23 PM
My daughter spent time there as well. As a matter of fact, that hospital is the only reason I still have a daughter, so I am happy to be doing this as well!

Dangles
03-21-2008, 01:17 AM
Count me in! Can we do one for BC Children's Hospital as well??

The.Knitter
03-21-2008, 10:06 AM
We could try, but first we have to finish the first blanket! (I don't mean that to sound rude, but so far we have not taken a blanket to any hospital and there are several we could deliver to once we get this project on a roll.)

Thanks so much for joining Dangles and welcome to our KAL!

knitgal
03-21-2008, 03:20 PM
Well knitters, the blanket is here! I picked it up from the post office last night and I started knitting right away. I have knit about 2.5 inches on it already and it's looking just great. I'm using a lavendar yarn and a box stitch pattern and it looks very cute.
Christine has done a great job organizing this and I'm so happy to be a part of this. I think we should start the next blanket right away because I'm having so much fun with this one!

The.Knitter
03-21-2008, 03:29 PM
Consider it done! I've started on "Flower Garden". This one is going to be all garter stitch but the colours are what is going to make it stand out. Be creative with this one, use verigated, or stripes for your six inches because it is supposed to be a flower garden so there should be lots of colours in this blanket.

Let me know when you are ready to ship Powder Puff. I think I will send the second one out west first and let it come back to us from there. I now have three knitters out west and four here in Ontario (myself included).

Thanks for letting us know that Powder Puff is there safely and you are having such a good time working on it.

Have a Happy Easter!!

knitgal
03-21-2008, 04:40 PM
I think we need a Canadian Oddball Blanket KAL button! Who can do that?

sue in canada
03-21-2008, 06:22 PM
I am so pleased to see more knitters joining us. I have not been involved in anything like this before, so it will be so exciting to see the end results.

The.Knitter
03-21-2008, 07:18 PM
This blanket I am working on right now reminds me of a bowl of neopolitan ice cream LOL! This blanket is supposed to be a "Flower Garden". Oh my! Perhaps once other colours are mixed with this it WILL look like a flower garden, who knows...

OK, we have named four blankets and two of these are already in production.

1. Powder Puff - is with knitgal right now (white/lavendar/pink/grey/peach/white)
2. Flower Garden - is with The.Knitter right now (any flower colour but yellow)
3. Mud Pie - Sue's idea is waiting to be started (various shades of brown/tan/beige)
4. Sky Blue - knitgal's idea is waiting to be started (various shades of blue)

How does this sound to you other members? Let me know...

knitgal
03-22-2008, 11:47 AM
Haha, I don't think "Sky Blue" was my idea...was it? It's a great idea, but I don't want to steal someone's thunder!
I don't mind starting one and then sending it off too. I am at about 4 inches on the Powder Puff blankie and it's so much fun. I stop and look at it and just think about how nice it is to be doing something like this.

The.Knitter
03-22-2008, 11:58 AM
Actually it was your idea, sort of.... you are the first one that told me we have to work on some boy blankies too! So I came up with a blue name, but it WAS your idea. Sue came up with the idea of the beige, tans and browns, which I think it great too! Good boy name for that one... Mud Pie!

I'm also thinking of doing one with bright colours like red, purple, orange, blue, etc. or even (if we can find them) neon colours. That would be a good boy blanket I think.

If you want to start "Sky Blue" let me know and I will send you the form you will need to send on to the next knitter. You'll have to get a wee journal (I got them from the Dollar store). Also, hold back enough yarn to finish with the same colour you start with so the blanket looks nice when it's finished. Perhaps your blankie could send it out west first and then come back to Ontario.

I'm glad you are having fun with our project!

The.Knitter
03-22-2008, 03:10 PM
IN PRODUCTION
1. Powder Puff - is with knitgal right now (white/lavendar/pink/grey/peach/white)
3. Mud Pie - is being started by sue in canada (various shades of brown/tan/beige)
4. Sky Blue - is being started by knitgal (various shades of blue)

WAITING
1. Bold is Beautiful - waiting (red, orange, blue, purple, orange, red)
2. Soft Hugs - waiting (all pinks)
3. Fluffy Clouds - waiting (all white)

We will have four blankets in production some time in the next few days. I will let everyone know when to expect a blanket to knit. There are three more blankets waiting that could be started if someone wants to jump right in. Just PM me and I will let you know how we start the blankets.

Thanks ladies! This means the first delivery to the hospital will include four (or more) blankets and not just one!! Way to go!

knitgal
03-24-2008, 10:29 AM
Hello everyone!
Hope you all had great weekends, I know I did!
I am almost ready to send off the blanket. I think I will be able to ship it off on Friday as that's my day off. I will also start the "Sky Blue" blankie as soon as I can. I am a little stressed as I am finished school in 1 month (post-graduate program in Public Relations) and I am moving in 1 month, so I want to get it started and off before the craziness begins. Hopefully this weekend!
I will post a picture of Powder Puff today!

khaosx5
03-24-2008, 11:31 AM
going to get the Soft Hugs started tonight...

The.Knitter
03-24-2008, 11:34 AM
Thanks so much Leslie! That's great. Soft Hugs is all pinks and garter stitch. That should be a really pretty one when it's done!

The.Knitter
03-24-2008, 11:37 AM
Blanket Update:

IN PRODUCTION
3. Mud Pie - is being started by sue in canada (various shades of brown/tan/beige, garter stitch)
5. Soft Hugs - is being started by khaosx5 (all pinks/garter stitch)

WAITING
3. Fluffy Clouds - waiting (all white)

knitgal
03-24-2008, 02:48 PM
Hello Everyone!
Okay, so I got around to taking some pictures of our first blankie. Here's Powder Puff:
The white is Christine's and the lavendar is mine. I used box stitch and I thought it turned out really cute. I'm just about done and so I'll be packing it up and sending it off to Sue by about Friday. Then I'll get to start Sky Blue! This is just so much fun!

Shandeh
03-24-2008, 02:57 PM
You all are doing a WONDERFUL job! cloud9

I'll be making a blog for you this week, then handing it over to your group to manage. It will be on Blogger (www.blogger.com (http://www.blogger.com)), so if any of you want to manage it, just let me or Christine know.

sue in canada
03-24-2008, 03:29 PM
That looks very pretty. I will look out for it next week.

The.Knitter
03-24-2008, 05:16 PM
Hello Everyone!
Okay, so I got around to taking some pictures of our first blankie. Here's Powder Puff:
The white is Christine's and the lavendar is mine. I used box stitch and I thought it turned out really cute. I'm just about done and so I'll be packing it up and sending it off to Sue by about Friday. Then I'll get to start Sky Blue! This is just so much fun!

Ann, that looks fantastic. I love lavendar! That box stitch looks really good too. I am getting excited now to see a lovely finished blanket! We are going forward now. This is great! Don't forget to post the tracking number when you mail the blanket! :woohoo:

ritaw
03-25-2008, 09:13 AM
Love the blanket so far !! You girls are doing a great job :)

khaosx5
03-26-2008, 02:12 PM
The Soft Hugs is on to the next person!

The.Knitter
03-26-2008, 02:14 PM
What's her first name please? We'll mark it down in the chart. Thanks again, this is great!

The.Knitter
03-26-2008, 02:38 PM
CANADIAN DIVISION UPDATE:

IN PRODUCTION
1. Powder Puff - is with knitgal (white/lavendar/pink/grey/peach/white)
2. Flower Garden - is with The.Knitter (any flower colour but yellow/green)
3. Mud Pie - is with sue in canada (various shades of brown/tan/beige)
5. Soft Hugs - is with the Mary Maxim (Canada) employees (all pinks)
6. Fluffy Clouds - is being started by khaosx5 (all white)
7. Canadian Flag - is being started by Donna (red & white)

WAITING
2. Life's a Beach - waiting for Donna (sand, blue, beige, white)

This is the updated list for our blankets so far. It looks like we will probably have at least seven blankets to take to Sick Kids in about a month or so.

Ladies this is so wonderful! I hope you all get as warm and fuzzy a feeling as I am getting just watching this project grow! We have the employees of Mary Maxim (a wonderful knitting and craft store) working on one blanket and we have a resort permanent trailer park in Wasaga Beach working on another and they have one in mind called Life's a Beach which they want to work on after they finish Canadian Flag.

These group projects save us the cost of postage for each of these blankets because they only have to be mailed to me when they are finished. Way to go and keep up the good work!!!

sue in canada
03-26-2008, 08:33 PM
I have finished my 6 inches of Mud Pie. I just need to get it packaged to send to Knitgal.

knitgal
03-26-2008, 08:50 PM
I've also finished my part of Powder Puff. It's all ready for you Sue! I just have to figure out what to write in the little journal. I think I will put in a little message and a poem. What is everyone writing?

The.Knitter
03-26-2008, 10:32 PM
I basically just put where I lived and wrote the poem. We have to be careful what we put so the hospital will still allow us to keep sending the journals.

sue in canada
03-26-2008, 10:41 PM
I'm with you knitgal, not sure yet about the journal.

The.Knitter
03-27-2008, 11:16 AM
We have a few bits of good news for you all today.

1. There is a recreation park in Wasaga Beach that has a permanent residence section at the back of the park. They are several women in that community that have started one blanket for us, called "Canadian Flag" (which is a red and white blanket). They are thinking of knitting a second blanket called Life's a Beach (because they are really close to Wasaga Beach). The only postage this will involve is when the finished blanket is mailed to me.

2. The Mary Maxim employees have one blanket in production (Soft Hugs) and a second one will be started this weekend (Fluffy Clouds). The only postage this will involve is when the finished blanket is mailed to me, or I might pick it up and get the double bonus of being able to shop for sock yarn and meet our member at the same time.

3. We have a new member! Please welcome Gina V from Ottawa area.

Shandeh
03-27-2008, 01:51 PM
Wonderful! :cheering:

sue in canada
03-27-2008, 04:18 PM
That is great news Christine.

knitgal
03-27-2008, 04:59 PM
Well everyone, I bought the supplies to start Sky Blue today as well as some yarn for Mud Pie when it arrives. I will post some pictures when I get it started!

sue in canada
03-27-2008, 05:14 PM
Knitgal, I hope to get Mud Pie in the mail to you tomorrow. I still haven't done the journal, pathetic I know but I will get it done.

knitgal
03-27-2008, 05:23 PM
Sue, I will definitely have Powder Puff in the mail tomorrow, but I still haven't written in the journal either so you're not alone...it's harder than I thought!

The.Knitter
03-27-2008, 05:37 PM
Here is a picture of Flower Garden. It's a bit fuzzy but it gives you an idea. It will go in the mail to Gina V as soon as I can get her address to mail it.

knitgal
03-27-2008, 05:40 PM
That looks so pretty Christine! What stitch pattern did you use? It looks like garter stitch..am I right?

The.Knitter
03-27-2008, 06:07 PM
Yup, the picture is fuzzy but it's garter stitch. Kind of looks like neopolitan ice cream (yummy).

sue in canada
03-27-2008, 09:50 PM
Here is Mud Pie. It is a softer taupe colour than it looks in the photo.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2320/2367105131_2923dc7cf7_m.jpg

knitgal
03-27-2008, 09:59 PM
That looks great Sue! I might have to get a lighter colour. I bought quite a dark brown and I think it would look better with a lighter colour next to it. I'll wait and see when I get the blanket though.

I started Blue Sky tonight and it's going very well! I bought the Harmony Guide and chose a stitch pattern called Alan. So far it's looking pretty neat. I will post a picture when I've done a little more.

The.Knitter
03-27-2008, 09:59 PM
I think there might be a problem with that picture Sue. It's not showing up for some reason.

knitgal
03-27-2008, 10:09 PM
I can see it Christine...?

The.Knitter
03-27-2008, 10:13 PM
Now I can see it. I don't know why all I got was an X in a box last time I looked. That looks great Sue. Wonderful job, thanks!!

sue in canada
03-28-2008, 03:41 PM
Mud Pie is on it's way to you knitgal.
Tracking # 0102 9980 000 0854
I hope it doesn't take too long to get to you.

The.Knitter
03-28-2008, 04:01 PM
IN PRODUCTION
1. Powder Puff - will travel to sue in canada(white/lavendar/pink/grey/peach/white)
2. Flower Garden - will travel to Gina V (any flower colour but yellow/green)
3. Mud Pie - is travelling to knitgal(various shades of brown/tan/beige)
4. Sky Blue - is with knitgal (various shades of blue)
5. Soft Hugs - is with the Mary Maxim (Canada) employees (all pinks)
6. Fluffy Clouds - is being started by khaosx5 (all white)
7. Canadian Flag - is being started by Donna (red & white)

WAITING
2. Life's a Beach - waiting for Donna (sand, blue, beige, white)
3. Candy Shop - waiting for knitgal (candy colours including chocolate)

The lastest update on our blankets and where they are today! Flower Garden and Powder Puff are going in the mail tomorrow. Mud Pie went in the mail today. Soft Hugs is travelling around Mary Maxim. Canadian Flag is travelling around Wasaga Pines. Sky Blue has been started. Fluffy Clouds will be started this weekend.

Ladies, this is incredible. I can't wait for the first delivery to the Hospital for Sick Children. I am so excited to see all these fantastic blankets start coming to me in the mail.

I thank you and I just know that those adorable babies thank you as well!

knitgal
03-28-2008, 04:38 PM
Powder Puff was mailed today too.
Tracking number: 0092 3550 0018 2197
Also, I don't mind if someone else wants to start "Candy Shop", I can do it, but it might be a little before I can.

Here are a couple of pictures of Sky Blue:

sue in canada
03-28-2008, 04:50 PM
That looks really pretty Knitgal. Love the colour.

The.Knitter
03-28-2008, 05:17 PM
Beautiful colour knitgal. I love the basket stitch too! That is looking really good. I'll put Candy Shop on hold for a week or so and see if I can afford to get it started then. With the threat of a strike looming for DH, I am being a bit more cautious of our money now (other than my Knitzi which he insisted I get to protect my Harmony's), just in case.

knitgal
03-28-2008, 05:33 PM
The stitch is called "Alan Pattern" from the Harmony Guide Volume 3 page 19. I thought it looked sort of cute. I love trying out new stitch patterns (in case you didn't notice!).
Don't worry about starting Candy Shop right away if you can't. We can always put it on hold for a little. There are so many blankets going on, I can't believe it!

Gina V
03-28-2008, 06:19 PM
Hi everyone! I am new to the forum (and knitting) and have just joined in to help with Flower Garden. It's on it's way to me shortly! Since I have done very little knitting and am not all that familiar with yarn can someone recomend a yarn to use for this? I have a Michael's just a couple of km from my place so I'd probably pick it up there. Thanks for the invite ..... can't wait to get started!!

The.Knitter
03-28-2008, 06:19 PM
Yes, it is truly wonderful to see all these good kind people caring about a child they will never meet or have anything to do with. I love that people are willing to do this! It proves what generous people knitters are.

The.Knitter
03-28-2008, 06:29 PM
Hi everyone! I am new to the forum (and knitting) and have just joined in to help with Flower Garden. It's on it's way to me shortly! Since I have done very little knitting and am not all that familiar with yarn can someone recomend a yarn to use for this? I have a Michael's just a couple of km from my place so I'd probably pick it up there. Thanks for the invite ..... can't wait to get started!!

Gina, the US organizer, Shandeh, asked for a worsted weight yarn to be used. She suggested either Red Heart Soft, Bernat Super Value (the new kind that is very soft) or Caron Simply Soft.

You cannot choose yellow or green because they tend to make a sick child look more ill.

Write down the suggestions and if you have problems when you get there ask someone at Michaels to assist you. Make sure you get someone that is a knitter and will know what they are talking about.

Flower Garden can be any colour you want that a flower would be; blue, violet, orange, pink, red, white. I started with a verigated yarn that has beige, pink and a medium brown in it. I thought this looked like a flower garden, but it reminds me more of a bowl of neopolitan ice cream now that I have seen it knit up.

You knit one row of straight knitting and then knit whatever pattern you chose. If you want to you can just knit garter stitch (knit every row). It's up to you. If you are knitting a pattern, make sure the first and last three stitches are garter stitch so that we have a border on the blanket. You have two weeks to complete your knitting on the blanket. When you have finished knitting your six inches, contact me and I will tell you the address of the next knitter.

Once again, welcome Gina. It's nice to have you in our little "knitting family".

Gina V
03-28-2008, 07:08 PM
I'll go shopping tomorrow (I am a shopoholic and now I have yarn to add to my list!! yippeee!). I was looking for Caron yarn at Michael's the other night and couldn't see any. I know JanCA got hers at Michael's (in california though) .... anyone know where I get it in Canada?

The.Knitter
03-28-2008, 07:16 PM
Try Michaels, Walmart or Zellers. I can't think of any others off the top of my head, sorry. Perhaps you could call around and ask. Red Heart soft is easier to get hold of and I know Michaels carries that. Good luck and have fun with your shopping!

The.Knitter
03-28-2008, 07:53 PM
OK, Flower Garden is travelling Gina. The tracking number is 0435 4810 0023 0840. They talked my DH into sending it express so you will get it on Monday. Have fun knitting your first Oddball Blanket!

sue in canada
03-28-2008, 08:28 PM
My local Michaels has some Caron but I think it is thinner than Worsted. By the way, there is a 50% off coupon at Michaels this week, starts tomorrow Saturday. I used the Bernat Super Value - 197gr ball (says improved softness on the label) which Michaels definitely carries.

The.Knitter
03-29-2008, 11:27 AM
Here's what I did this morning.... I posted on Ravelry in the Canadian Knitters section. I explained about our KAL and asked if any Canadian knitters would like to join us on this project. I am hoping this will get us some more knitters for our blankets.

knitgal
03-29-2008, 11:45 AM
Sounds great Christine!
I was thinking it might be a good idea to post the order in which knitters will be receiving the blankets. This might give people a bit of an idea as to when they will be knitting.
I am almost ready to ship off Sky Blue out West. I know they are probably feeling out of the loop with all the blankets down here in Ontario.

The.Knitter
03-29-2008, 11:47 AM
OK I will let her know and then give you the address as soon as I hear from her. I'll post that other information in a few minutes. I have to open the excel document and transfer the information to here.

The.Knitter
03-29-2008, 12:08 PM
Here is the list of blankets, their knitters and the order the blankets are being mailed in. Let me know if this is not agreeable to anyone. I've tried to keep it so that when in Ontario the blanket stays until all Ontarians finish their knitting and then gets mailed out west to be knit on there before coming back to me. This saves a lot of postage costs. I am not trying to overlook anyone and have not forgotten any of you!

Please note: if any of you have started blankets I will put your needles aside and mail them to you with the next blanket that is coming your way, if this is ok with you!

Powder Puff

The.Knitter - finished knitting
knitgal - finished knitting
sue in canada - waiting for the mailman
MommaG - next after Sue
Sajomaro - waiting
The.Knitter - waiting to do finishing touches

Flower Garden

Gina V - waiting for the mailman
Dangles - next to knit after Gina
knitgal - waiting
sue in canada - waiting
The.Knitter - waiting to put on finishing touches

Mud Pie

sue in canada - finished knitting
knitgal - waiting for the mailman
MommaG - next to knit after knitgal
Dangles - waiting
Sajormaro - waiting

Sky Blue

Sajomaro - next in line to knit
Dangles - waiting
MommaG - waiting
Gina V - waiting

Soft Hugs

khaosx5 - finished knitting
Tinkerbell - knitting
Mary Maxim employees - waiting

Fluffy Clouds

khaosx5 - knitting
Mary Maxim employees - waiting

Canadian Flag

Donna - knitting
Shirley - waiting to knit
Wasaga Pines residents - waiting

Waiting to start

Candy Shop (candy colours including chocolate)
Life's a Beach (Wasaga Pines)
Bold is Beautiful (red, orange, purple, blue, orange, red)

knitgal
03-31-2008, 08:47 AM
Sue, I checked the tracking number for Powder Puff and it says it is "out for delivery" so hopefully you will get it today!!!
I also checked it for Mud Pie and it says it's not in the system?

khaosx5
03-31-2008, 10:10 AM
Fluffy Clouds has been started and will be on it's way to the next person in a couple of days.

sue in canada
03-31-2008, 10:15 AM
Knitgal, if it doesn't appear on the system later today, I will go and speak to them. I said that yours would get here quicker. My local area always seems slow and the usual person was not working when I mailed the pkg to you.

Gina V
03-31-2008, 10:44 AM
I just checked the tracking number on Flower Garden and it should arrive at my place today! Unfortunately I work Mon-Fri and am not home until 4:30 or so. There will probably be a note for me to pick it up tomorrow at the post office so I'll get it started tomorrow night!

knitgal
03-31-2008, 11:30 AM
Thanks Sue! I thought it was strange when it didn't appear before, but I thought I would give it until monday, since it was the weekend.
I hope you get Powder Puff today and I hope you like your little treat!

sue in canada
03-31-2008, 03:06 PM
Good News x 2

The blanket I mailed is now showing in the system as out for delivery.

I received the package today from Knitgal. The blanket looks great and thanks to both Knitgal and The,Knitter for the goodies. I hope to start my part tonight and will post again when I have finished my section.

Great work ladies.

knitgal
03-31-2008, 06:55 PM
It's HERE! Mud Pie made it's way here and it's wonderful! I think I'm going to be able to use the dark brown I bought after all. Yay!
Thank you for the lovely gift Sue, I LOVE those colours. So nice!

Gina V
03-31-2008, 07:37 PM
Christine, Flower Garden is at my house! I have my yarn and will start tonight! Thanks so much for the bag o' goodies! That was very sweet of you! By the way, I see what you mean about the colours of your yarn .... it does look yummy LOL!

sue in canada
03-31-2008, 10:27 PM
I managed to knit 4 inches on Powder Puff tonight while watching tv this evening. Won't be too long before it is traveling again. I will post a pic when I have finished my section
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2026/2382738000_02b3f7ec9e.jpg

Krystal
03-31-2008, 10:41 PM
You guys are so awesome. I wish I could join in, but as I told the knitter previously, I have been ridiculously busy, I haven't even picked up my own knitting in months. I also picked up a bad case of tendonitis in my left wrist today, so who knows WHEN I will get to pick up those needles again.

I wanted to give you all something to thank you for what you are doing for the babies. I can still use my right hand so I thought I would contribute what I could.

a KAL button for you guys.

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee268/krystal_pare/Knitting/canadakal-1.png

save and upload to wherever you want, OR even feel free to link right from my photobucket. It doesn't bother me. The link for the image is http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee268/krystal_pare/Knitting/canadakal-1.png

I hope you guys like it.

:heart::heart:

sue in canada
03-31-2008, 10:58 PM
That looks great Krystal.

The.Knitter
04-01-2008, 12:11 AM
I :heart: it!! Krystal, this was so nice of you. Thanks so very much!

:hug: I hope your wrist gets better, your life settles down a bit and you can get back to your knitting really soon!

khaosx5
04-01-2008, 11:30 AM
Soft Hugs has moved on to Mary.

can't figure out how to get that great looking button in my sigmature...

Krystal
04-01-2008, 12:14 PM
Glad you like it.

I hope so too, I have been dying to get some cabling done. I did the smallest project forever ago and discovered how much I love them.

I also have a baby blanket that I do not think will get finished... Such a good idea but I have too short attention span for such large projects... lol. Lucky the little girl who was to get it has several nanas who knit and crochet and has blankets coming out of her ears and shes not even 3 months old yet.

The.Knitter
04-01-2008, 12:27 PM
Soft Hugs has moved on to Mary.

can't figure out how to get that great looking button in my sigmature...

I'll mark her down on the list, thanks!

Save it to your computer and then add it in edit signature as a Sigpic. It should look like this without the spaces after each bracket...

[ Center][ Sigpic][ /Sigpic][ /Center]

If you also want to add the Ravelry button, find the website you took it from and then change this line to read:

[ Center][ Sigpic][ /Sigpic][ img]the url addy[ /img][ /Center]

Don't forget to remove the spaces when you type this in.

Good luck!

Dangles
04-01-2008, 01:54 PM
Back from a trip to the nation's capital and Montréal. I can't wait to start on these blankets. Now I must read up on the specifics of the blanket first :p

sue in canada
04-01-2008, 04:43 PM
Just testing for button

The.Knitter
04-01-2008, 05:36 PM
That looks so very nice seeing that button Krystal made us on all of our members signatures. We have a logo Ladies! I am so excited!

MommaG
04-01-2008, 09:07 PM
Just gotta checkout if my button actually works too. Also just gotta say getting excited that one of the blankets will be coming my way soon.

Gina V
04-01-2008, 09:13 PM
Thanks for the button Krystal! It's terrific!

Shandeh
04-02-2008, 01:33 AM
Great button, guys! :thumbsup:

sue in canada
04-02-2008, 07:44 AM
I finished my section on Powder Puff. It will be traveling again in a couple of days. The pink looks a little dark in the picture

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2026/2382738000_02b3f7ec9e.jpg

knitgal
04-02-2008, 10:17 AM
Sue, it looks so good! I love that colour next to the lavendar. You're a fast knitter lady!

The.Knitter
04-02-2008, 11:34 AM
Wonderful Sue! Great job and so quick too. Then next knitter is using a grey worsted weight yarn and then the one after that will be peach, then back to the white and we're done! Good work Ladies!!

knitgal
04-02-2008, 05:45 PM
Hello all!
In case you miss it, I took our Mud Pie blanket to see the Yarn Harlot! I knit on it while on the GO train and then while waiting to see her and even while she spoke. It was really fun and the blanket had a great time.

The.Knitter
04-02-2008, 06:07 PM
What a pretty face on the woman knitting on that blanket... do you know her? LOL!

I think it is marvelous that Mud Pie went to see the Yarn Harlot! How special Mud Pie is. I wish I had gone.... I'm totally jealous of a darned blanket!

So glad you had such a good time and got yourself a signed copy of the book as well. Lucky lady!

sue in canada
04-02-2008, 08:40 PM
Knitgal, I did post on your other thread. Glad it was such a great evening.

Shandeh
04-02-2008, 10:29 PM
What a wonderful job you are all doing with your KAL! :cheering:

I have not made a blog for you yet. I'm wondering if one of you would like to make it instead, so that it would really be a Canadian blog.

Would one of you be willing to make a blog for your blankets?
Or, do you prefer to NOT have a blog?

Just let me know what you decide. :hug:

ritaw
04-03-2008, 02:33 PM
Hey Guys !!
I just wanted to say that you are all doing a brilliant job and that the powderpuff blanket looks lovely :)

sue in canada
04-03-2008, 05:14 PM
Powder Puff is on it's travel to MommaG. It was mailed this afternoon. Tracking # 0102 9980 0000 1585

Happy knitting Momma

Sajomaro
04-03-2008, 06:31 PM
What a wonderful job you are all doing with your KAL! :cheering:

I have not made a blog for you yet. I'm wondering if one of you would like to make it instead, so that it would really be a Canadian blog.

Would one of you be willing to make a blog for your blankets?
Or, do you prefer to NOT have a blog?

Just let me know what you decide. :hug:

I can start a blog! I'm familiar with blogger so it wouldn't be difficult for me. I think it would be a good idea. That way if someone isn't on KH they can still keep up with our progress. Let me know what you think and if you have any ideas about what should be on it please share.

Jodi

The.Knitter
04-03-2008, 06:36 PM
Go ahead Jodi, thanks so much!!! I think we should use our new "logo" at the top of it so everone recognizes us. Will anyone have access to write on the blog? It would be nice if any member could post on it.

knitgal
04-03-2008, 06:36 PM
Jodi, I bought a little basketball notebook for the blanket, so I'll be sending it off tomorrow morning. I'll post the tracking number after I send it.

Sajomaro
04-03-2008, 07:13 PM
Will do! Any suggestions for a title?
Canadian Oddball Baby Blanket Knit Along might be a little long. What do you think of Canadian Oddball Knitters? And then I can put a description of what we're about underneath.

Jodi

The.Knitter
04-03-2008, 07:24 PM
Sounds good. Don't forget to use the logo though. Thanks so much for doing this for our group!

khaosx5
04-04-2008, 08:59 AM
Fluffy Clouds has been passed along to Renate...

knitgal
04-04-2008, 05:53 PM
Hello!
Blue Sky went out on this dreary afternoon.
Here's the tracking number: 0092 3550 0018 3347

The.Knitter
04-05-2008, 12:11 AM
WE MADE IT! We now have our own blog. Check it out:

http://canadianoddballknitters.blogspot.com/

Thanks so much Sajomaro for starting the blog for our group! You did an excellent job!

:hug:
Christine

knitgal
04-05-2008, 09:08 AM
That Blog is looking great! Three cheers for Jodi.

The.Knitter
04-06-2008, 11:04 AM
Members: Please welcome three more knitters to our group. These knitters are from Ravelry. They are kknitter, crazyknittingmom and dyanne. There are three more that have applied but have not yet sent me their information. Our group just keeps on growing and growing. Today is a GOOD day!!!

sue in canada
04-06-2008, 11:17 AM
Great news Christine.

The.Knitter
04-06-2008, 08:53 PM
Members: Please welcome three more knitters to our group. These knitters are from Ravelry. They are daddysgirl, mandyzmoon and flyfish. Our group just keeps on growing and growing. We are now 14 strong!!! Today is a VERY GOOD day for our KAL!!!

knitgal
04-06-2008, 09:01 PM
14!? Holy moley (I SO wanted to use another word instead of "moley")! That's amazing, we ROCK!

The.Knitter
04-06-2008, 09:31 PM
Yes, we are going to cover those babies with love and warmth! WE DO ROCK!!!

sue in canada
04-06-2008, 10:36 PM
Amazing. Welcome to all the new knitters.

The.Knitter
04-06-2008, 10:41 PM
I`ve had to make a few changes to the blanket list in order to incorporate our new members, so that they too get a chance to knit on a blanket that will go into the first delivery to The Hospital for Sick Children. I also tried to keep locations in mind to save on postage costs. I`ve grouped you into areas and we will try it and see how this works.

Here's the list of blankets, who will knit on them and where they are right now:

Powder Puff:
MommaG - waiting for the mailman
Sajomaro - next in line
The.Knitter - waiting to finish blanket

Flower Garden:
Gina V - knitting
Dangles - next in line
Daddysgirl - waiting
sue in canada - waiting

Mud Pie:
knitgal - knitting
MommaG - next in line
Dangles - waiting
Sajomaro - waiting

Sky Blue:
Sajomaro - waiting for the mailman
Dangles - next in line
MommaG - waiting
sue in canada - waiting

Bold is Beautiful:
Sajomaro - knitting
kknitter - next in line
dyanne - waiting
mandyzmoon - waiting
crazyknittingmom - waiting

Soft Hugs:
Tinkerbell (Mary Maxim employee) - finished knitting
Mary (Mary Maxim employee) - knitting
There will be three more Mary Maxim employees knit on this blanket before I pick it up (and get to go shopping at the same time, BONUS!).

Fluffy Clouds:
Renate (Mary Maxim employee) - knitting
There will be four more Mary Maxim employees knit on this blanket before I pick it up (and get to go shopping at the same time, BONUS!).

Candy Store:
The.Knitter - starting to knit soon
kknitter - next in line
knitgal - waiting
mandyzmoon - waiting
dyanne - waiting

Canadian Flag:
Donna - waiting for her online purchase of yarn to arrive
Shirley - next in line
There will be four more Wasaga Pines residents knit on this blanket before it is mailed to me.

Life's a Beach:
This blanket is on hold for the Wasaga Pines residents.

Teddy Bear Love:
This blanket is on hold for Gina V.

I think this list is incredible.... one month ago there was no such thing as the Canadian Division of the Oddball Baby Blanket KAL - KnittingHelp.com. Now we have eight blankets in production.

Every one of you deserved a huge hug!!! Way to go Ladies! :hug:

Shandeh
04-07-2008, 04:25 AM
Congratulations! What a huge success! :cheering:

And your blog looks fantastic! (Don't forget to post photos.)

I am AMAZED by all of the Canadian Oddball Knitters!
:notworthy:

khaosx5
04-07-2008, 05:51 PM
Soft Hugs has been passed along to Kathy.

Dangles
04-07-2008, 09:18 PM
:yay: goodie

The.Knitter
04-07-2008, 09:52 PM
Dangles, you are next. Gina V has finished knitting and the blanket will probably go in the mail to you tomorrow.

Please let me know when you receive it.

Gina V, please let me know the tracking number when you mail the blanket.

Happy Knitting!

Gina V
04-07-2008, 11:52 PM
Flower Garden is all wrapped up and ready to go to Dangles! I will send it off tomorrow on my way home from work. Christine, how do you send it? Regular Parcel Post? Xpresspost? I looked at the package you had sent me when it came in and made note of how you sent it .. but can't find it now *sheesh* (I think it was Xpresspost). Let me know!

Here is a photo of Flower Garden so far. Not a great photo but if my part looks like solid mauve/lilac to you then that would be right LOL!
http://photosbygina.smugmug.com/photos/276461767_RSuGR-S.jpg

Have fun Dangles!

The.Knitter
04-08-2008, 05:03 AM
Gina: It has to go First Class with a tracking number. It does not matter if it goes express or not, so long as you get a tracking number. If you want to spend the money on express that's fine, but it is not necessary.

Thanks for finishing your part so quickly.

Dangles: get ready, here comes Flower Garden!

The.Knitter
04-08-2008, 05:56 AM
Members: Please welcome CelticCat and Stv to our group. They are knitters from Ravelry. Here we grow again!!

This is just so fantastic! It's like watching a plant grow only in fast forward.

Keep up the good work Ladies!

Our new member list is:

* The.Knitter
* Knitgal
* Sue in Canada
* Sajomaro
* MommaG
* khaosx5
* Dangles
* Gina V
* kknitter
* dyanne
* crazyknittingmom
* Daddysgirl
* mandyzmoon
* flyfish
* CelticCat
* STV

Gina V
04-08-2008, 06:09 AM
Gina: It has to go First Class with a tracking number. It does not matter if it goes express or not, so long as you get a tracking number. If you want to spend the money on express that's fine, but it is not necessary.

Great, thanks for the info Christine! I will send you the tracking number later on today!

Gina V
04-08-2008, 06:10 AM
Members: Please welcome CelticCat and Stv to our group. They are knitters from Ravelry. Here we grow again!!

Wonderful! Welcome to the group!
:cheering:

Gina V
04-08-2008, 05:46 PM
Dangles, the blanket (Flower Garden) is now on it's way to you. Hope it gets there in a few days but could take longer. The tracking number is 0316 7250 0032 9071.

Have fun!

The.Knitter
04-08-2008, 09:27 PM
Members: Please welcome CathyB to our KAL family. Cathy is a Ravelry knitter. She lives not that far from me. It is nice to see how much our little family is growing! Cathy is #17 on our member list!

knitgal
04-08-2008, 10:01 PM
Wow! I can't believe we have so many knitters.
I am almost done with Mud Pie (another row or two) and I will post a picture ASAP.

sue in canada
04-08-2008, 10:22 PM
It is great to see how this is all coming together. Good work ladies.

Dangles
04-09-2008, 03:04 AM
Dangles, the blanket (Flower Garden) is now on it's way to you. Hope it gets there in a few days but could take longer. The tracking number is 0316 7250 0032 9071.

Have fun!

:yay: goodie. now what colour to use... hmm

sue in canada
04-09-2008, 06:54 AM
Just checked this morning and Powder Puff is in Regina. Should be with you soon MommaG.

The.Knitter
04-09-2008, 10:10 AM
Look how we have grown!!!

Let's add six more knitters to our Member List. Mary, Tinkerbell, Renate and Kathy are Mary Maxim (Paris location) employees and have been knitting on Soft Hugs and Fluffy Clouds. If they are working that hard on our project, they should be listed as members! Donna and Shirley are from Wasaga Pines Campground, living there as permanent residents. They are waiting for their shipment of yarn to come from Mary Maxim so that they can start their blankets. They (along with any other residents that want to contribute) will be working on Canadian Flag and Life's a Beach. This brings us up to 23 members!!!

Welcome Ladies and thanks so much for all your hard work!

knitgal
04-09-2008, 03:21 PM
MommaG- you will have Mud Pie coming to you soon too! I will mail it by Friday.

knitgal
04-09-2008, 06:10 PM
Hey everyone, here's the Mud Pie blanket all ready to go! I just need to package it all up and send it out.
My part is the darker chocolate part and Sue's is the lighter part.

CelticCat
04-09-2008, 09:10 PM
I joined this group on Raverly and joined here to see what was going on :) I am looking forward to knitting my part!!!
CelticCat aka Mandi

MommaG
04-09-2008, 09:11 PM
So I get home from work and I am checking things out online and I check my emails and I had set it up to get an email confirmation once the package is delivered to me and there was the emailsaying Powderpuff was delivered today. I am like but my sitter didn't tell me I got anything. So I got worried that they delivered it to the wrong address (we had major issues before with our mail going to the wrong address)I was starting to get upset and then I look up on the shelf in the back and there it was waiting for me.

Sue thank you for the gifts they are things I actually need and I can't wait until I make a sweater for my son and daughter so I can use the labels you sen too. Well time to sign off so I can knit on the blanket.

The.Knitter
04-09-2008, 09:21 PM
I joined this group on Raverly and joined here to see what was going on :) I am looking forward to knitting my part!!!
CelticCat aka Mandi

Welcome CelticCat. It's nice to see you here! :hug:

sue in canada
04-09-2008, 10:28 PM
CelticCat: Welcome to our group and KH

Knitgal: Mud Pie is looking good.

Mommag : Glad that Powder Puff arrived okay. Enjoy the knitting.

Dangles
04-09-2008, 11:49 PM
As of 2048 hrs, Flower Garden is spending time in Montréal prolly eating some of Schwartz's sandwich. Mmmm...

Gina V
04-10-2008, 09:57 PM
As of 2048 hrs, Flower Garden is spending time in Montréal prolly eating some of Schwartz's sandwich. Mmmm...

Must be a really good sandwich .... Flower Garden is still in Montreal! Come on, time to head west!! :cheering:

MommaG
04-10-2008, 11:55 PM
So I am done knitting on powderpuff. I know I just got it yesterday but I took it to work today and knit on my lunch and I finished it tonight. Nothing of my other projects got worked on while I knit on it so I am ready to pass it on.I took some pics on of the full blanket and then of each section. Oh and one of my daughter checking out the blanket.

Dangles
04-11-2008, 12:28 AM
MommaG, nice pattern. What did you use?

Gina V
04-11-2008, 06:00 AM
That was fast MommaG!! Great job too!

sue in canada
04-11-2008, 08:31 AM
Looks great MommaG. Our first blanket will soon be complete.

knitgal
04-11-2008, 08:44 AM
MommaG it looks gorgeous! That pattern turned out really well, eh?
I am sending Mud Pie to you today, so you won't be without a blanket!

The.Knitter
04-11-2008, 11:06 AM
Holy Cow MommaG. You are FAST! I will contact the next knitter and get back to you as soon as she replies to me. It looks fantastic, and there are only two more knitters on this blanket. Sue is right, our first blanket is almost done!!!

Gina V
04-11-2008, 08:43 PM
Question ..... what size needles are we using for the blankets? I can't recall! I will be starting one next month and want to start getting stuff together. Thanks!

Sajomaro
04-11-2008, 09:42 PM
Question ..... what size needles are we using for the blankets? I can't recall! I will be starting one next month and want to start getting stuff together. Thanks!

US 9 (5.5mm) 29" circulars. If you email Christine she'll send you a list of all the things you need.

Sajomaro
04-11-2008, 09:59 PM
I picked up Sky Blue today. Beautiful work Ann! Thanks for the goodies!

I'm almost finished Bold is Beautiful. I hope to mail it on Wednesday.

MommaG
04-11-2008, 11:13 PM
MommaG, nice pattern. What did you use?
I used Red Heart soft touch yarn and the stitch is called Granite Releif Stitch. http://www.lionbrand.com/cgi-bin/faq-search.cgi?store=/stores/eyarn&faqKey=284&language= this is a link to the stitch pattern. It was a very easy pattern to do. Knit one row, Knit two together next row, Knit front back next row and then purl one row. See so easy. I have never done the pattern before but it was so easy to do I think I want to do a sweater for my daughter using this pattern.

The.Knitter
04-11-2008, 11:16 PM
Looks pretty darned good to me. Now we have a peach section and another white section and our first blanket will be finished!

You Ladies are FANTASTIC!!!

Dangles
04-12-2008, 11:59 PM
I used Red Heart soft touch yarn and the stitch is called Granite Releif Stitch. http://www.lionbrand.com/cgi-bin/faq-search.cgi?store=/stores/eyarn&faqKey=284&language= this is a link to the stitch pattern. It was a very easy pattern to do. Knit one row, Knit two together next row, Knit front back next row and then purl one row. See so easy. I have never done the pattern before but it was so easy to do I think I want to do a sweater for my daughter using this pattern.

almost makes me want to duplicate your patten on a blanket :aww: am I original or what?

Dangles
04-13-2008, 04:36 PM
I just checked the tracker... the Flower Garden must be having a good time in Montréal because it's still there :???:

sue in canada
04-13-2008, 05:08 PM
I don't think anything is updated by Canada Post over the weekend. Hopefully you will get the package tomorrow.

Gina V
04-13-2008, 07:19 PM
I just checked the tracker... the Flower Garden must be having a good time in Montréal because it's still there :???:

I noticed that this morning!!! A little disappointing but hopefully Sue is right and we'll see an update in the morning!

Dangles
04-14-2008, 02:17 PM
Oh oh oh :yay: I checked on the Flower Garden at 1050: It has arrived in Richmond, BC 1035 :D weeeeeeeee

knitgal
04-14-2008, 02:30 PM
Yeah, their system is not usually updated on the weekend- it can make it seem like the package hasn't moved!

I mailed Mud Pie today to MommaG- sorry it took so long. I was away unexpectedly this weekend and the package was sitting there all wrapped up nicely waiting for me to mail it.
Anyways, here's the tracking number: 0092 3550 0018 4627
They said it should take about 5 days.

Gina V
04-14-2008, 04:05 PM
Oh oh oh :yay: I checked on the Flower Garden at 1050: It has arrived in Richmond, BC 1035 :D weeeeeeeee

Oh good! :happydance: I was checking from my end up until 9:20 this morning and it looked like it was still in Montreal LOL! I knew it hadn't been updated but was really curious as to where it would be! Not sure how far Richmond is from you but hope you get it soon!

Sajomaro
04-14-2008, 09:05 PM
I finished the first part of Bold is Beautiful. I'll be mailing it out on Wednesday.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3251/2415201644_afe6d0b2cb.jpg

Off to start on Sky Blue.:)

MommaG
04-14-2008, 09:59 PM
Sorry guys I got my part knitted quick but I wont be able to mail it off until Friday. My son ended up getting sick and had to get a perscription for him and can't afford postage until Friday when I get child tax.

Sajomaro
04-14-2008, 10:16 PM
Don't worry about it MommaG. These things happen.
It gives me a chance to get Sky Blue finished before Powder Puff arrives.
Mail it when you get the chance. Hope your son feels better soon.

Take care.

sue in canada
04-14-2008, 10:41 PM
Sajomaro that looks beautiful. What stitch did you use? I love it.

MammaG: Sorry to hear that your son is sick. Hope he is feeling better soon

Dangles: You will have a blanket there very soon.

Sajomaro
04-14-2008, 10:53 PM
Sajomaro that looks beautiful. What stitch did you use? I love it.

Thank you! I'm not sure the name of it. I got it from a free dish cloth (http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/kkc-dishCloths.html?noImages=0) pattern from Lion Brand.

Gina V
04-14-2008, 11:10 PM
I finished the first part of Bold is Beautiful. I'll be mailing it out on Wednesday.

Off to start on Sky Blue.:)

Ooooooo!! I love the colour (my fav) and I love that pattern!

Since I am new to knitting does anyone have any suggestions as to what patterns (easy ones!) to use for these blankets (other than garter ... that one I know!)

Shandeh
04-15-2008, 12:51 PM
Since I am new to knitting does anyone have any suggestions as to what patterns (easy ones!) to use for these blankets (other than garter ... that one I know!)
I can answer that! :)

Basketweave: http://www.knittingonthenet.com/stitches/basket.htm

Seed Stitch: http://www.knittingonthenet.com/stitches/seed.htm

Box Stitch: http://www.knittingonthenet.com/stitches/boxst.htm

Checks & Ridges: http://www.knittingonthenet.com/stitches/checksridges.htm

Little Pyramids: http://www.knittingonthenet.com/stitches/littlepyramids.htm

Moss Stitch: http://www.knittingonthenet.com/stitches/moss.htm

Gina V
04-15-2008, 02:13 PM
I can answer that! :)

Great! Thanks very much!

Dangles
04-15-2008, 02:27 PM
Flower Garden Update: It has arrived as of 945 this am. Postie rang the doorbell and left a big box on my doorstep. My DD & DS were so excited to get a box ... what would you expect from toddlers? :teehee:

Gina, thank you for all the goodies you sent :hug: Lately, I've have been drinking nothing but smoothies :clink: to you Gina. I will post pictures when I have a chance.

knitgal
04-15-2008, 03:10 PM
Gina- An easy way to tell when you find a stitch pattern you like is to take the total number of stitches in our blankets (130) subtract 6 (3 knit stitches on each side so 124) and then divide that by the number suggested by the pattern.
For example: This stitch (http://www.knittingfool.com/pages/stCatalog2.guest.cfm?StitchID=210&name=Ant%20Egg&numofst=4&stplus=0&rows=4&rplus=0&sym=1)(which is on a VERY good stitch site!) is for a multiple of 4 stitches, which 124 divides by easily.
But there are many stitches that say "5 plus 4", which works too. Simply subtract 4 (or whatever the "plus" number is") from the total (120) and see if your total divides by 5 (or whatever the stitch number is).
Does that make sense? Sometimes I have to go through a bunch before I find ones that work.
I think the ones that Shandeh posted are for the blankets with 100 stitches. The only one of ours that has 100 stitches is Powder Puff.

sue in canada
04-15-2008, 04:40 PM
Great stitch ideas. I used garter on the two that I worked on. Mud pie is all garter and on the other I thought garter/pattern/garter looked good. The only problem is that some of the pattern stitches tend to pull the sides in. I have noticed that some of the blankets in US have had a crocheted edge added. That looks very pretty but I don't know how to do that.

Dangles: Glad you now have the blanket.

knitgal
04-15-2008, 04:44 PM
Cable or twist patterns tend to pull in, which is sad because I LOVE cables. I saw that the US blanket sometimes have crocheted borders and they do look cute, but I have no idea how to crochet either. I think it's probably best to stick with patterns that are just knit and purl.
I was wondering about lacy stitch patterns though- would they be acceptable? I have avoided them, but only because I wasn't sure if they would be okay.

Gina V
04-15-2008, 06:19 PM
Flower Garden Update: It has arrived as of 945 this am. Postie rang the doorbell and left a big box on my doorstep. My DD & DS were so excited to get a box ... what would you expect from toddlers? :teehee:

Gina, thank you for all the goodies you sent :hug: Lately, I've have been drinking nothing but smoothies :clink: to you Gina. I will post pictures when I have a chance.

Yaaaay!!! :yay: I am so glad you finally have it! Have fun working on it! Did you choose a colour or wait until it arrived?

Glad you liked the little gifties!

Gina V
04-15-2008, 06:22 PM
Gina- An easy way to tell when you find a stitch pattern you like is to take the total number of stitches in our blankets (130) subtract 6 (3 knit stitches on each side so 124) and then divide that by the number suggested by the pattern.

Does that make sense? Sometimes I have to go through a bunch before I find ones that work.

Thanks for this info! I am printing it now and adding it to my pile LOL! This group is great fro helping out and I have printed off things to file in a binder for quick access. :hug: Oh, and yes, I think it does make sense!

Dangles
04-15-2008, 06:40 PM
Yaaaay!!! :yay: I am so glad you finally have it! Have fun working on it! Did you choose a colour or wait until it arrived?

Glad you liked the little gifties!

Well, I do have some CSS in country blue leftover, but I wonder if it's ok to go with the Flower Garden. Could be the ' "bright" blue sky' to help the flowers grow :)

:think: what to do what to do :??

Gina V
04-15-2008, 07:25 PM
Well, I do have some CSS in country blue leftover, but I wonder if it's ok to go with the Flower Garden. Could be the ' "bright" blue sky' to help the flowers grow :)

:think: what to do what to do :??

That would be really pretty! A nice blue sky always helps!

knitgal
04-15-2008, 07:29 PM
It could be the blue sky, or the water- both needed to make flowers grow. Plus there ARE blue flowers, so you're okay there too.

Dangles
04-16-2008, 01:33 AM
Thanks for the input Gina & knitgal. I've seen blue flowers, are they not pretty?

The kids are down, I guess I will KUI, knit under the influence :teehee: with a nice white wine from Quail's Gate, 2007 Chasselas Pinot Blanc.

Gina V
04-16-2008, 06:27 AM
Love blue flowers ... always try to have some in the garden! KUI??? Hahahaha!! Oh oh!! Flower Garden could be very interesting indeed!

Dangles
04-16-2008, 10:46 PM
I paid homage to the frog pond .... I didn't like how it was looking so I went to the pond.

sue in canada
04-16-2008, 11:08 PM
Not the whole blanket I hope. LOL

Gina V
04-16-2008, 11:10 PM
I paid homage to the frog pond .... I didn't like how it was looking so I went to the pond.

:whoosh: You are gonna have to explain to this the newbie ... I'm not too "knitting forum" savvy yet! :lol:

Dangles
04-16-2008, 11:25 PM
:whoosh: You are gonna have to explain to this the newbie ... I'm not too "knitting forum" savvy yet! :lol:

No, worries, glad to answer any questions. We all started the same place you did.

What I knitted to day I had to rip out "rip it rip it rip it" hence visiting the frog pond.

Dangles
04-16-2008, 11:35 PM
Not the whole blanket I hope. LOL

Nah, just the portion I did. So, fear not :)

knitgal
04-18-2008, 03:35 PM
MommaG- Have you received Mud Pie yet? I checked the tracking number and it says that it is out being delivered to you. Let me know when you get it.

MommaG
04-18-2008, 09:17 PM
No one was home to accept it so now I can't get it until after one tomorrow. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. oh well at least we know it made it here ok.

The.Knitter
04-21-2008, 09:00 AM
OK, I'm back from my little holiday now. The DGS's surgery is over with, the DGD is home and life can go back to normal now.

Can you all please tell me where you are on your blankets?

Gina V
04-21-2008, 10:25 AM
Welcome back Christine!

MommaG
04-21-2008, 10:34 AM
Powder puff will be going out in the mail this week. It was going to go today but I am sick yet again and am not going to work.

Mud Pie arrived Friday no one was home so I had to wait until Saturday to get it. Picked it up and thank you so much for the gifts Knitgal. I love the yarn and pattern. I actually have half a dishcloth done already (wasn't feeling good all weekend and had nothing else to do as I don't have any brown yarn in my stash to start on Mud Pie)

The.Knitter
04-21-2008, 10:38 AM
MommaG, it can be beige or cream as well. It does not have to be brown.

Sorry to hear you are not feeling well.

Sajomaro
04-21-2008, 09:30 PM
Finally made it to the post office today. Bold is Beautiful is on its way to the next knitter. Tracking No. is 0642 4870 0009 0536.

Dangles
04-22-2008, 01:51 PM
Flower Garden is going.. I've tried a pattern but it didn't go how I wanted to, so I had to frog it .. twice.

To top things off I've some kind of infection that involves coughing and sneezing up yellow gunk, sorry squeamish people. Argh. I've been too tired to lift a finger. Fear not, I will persevere once my head stops hurting.

khaosx5
04-22-2008, 04:20 PM
Paulette has Fluffy Clouds and Donna has Soft Hugs.

MommaG
04-25-2008, 09:24 PM
Powrder puff is on its way. Tracking number is 0174 5050 0018 7019. I hope it gets there ok I have been having a really crappy week. Last night my stove element blew up while I was cooking supper and now my car wont start and when I plug in the battery charge the breaker blows every time. I am scared to touch anything else as I don't know what will happen to it.

Cynamar
04-25-2008, 09:55 PM
Go back to bed.

MommaG
04-25-2008, 10:03 PM
Go back to bed.
I wish with two kids it aint going to happen.

Cynamar
04-25-2008, 10:05 PM
That's what Nyquil is for.

sue in canada
04-25-2008, 10:46 PM
Sorry to hear that you are having such a bad time MommaG. Hope things improve for you soon. Glad to hear that Powder Puff is traveling again.

The.Knitter
04-25-2008, 10:50 PM
I am so sorry you are having a bad week. Thanks for finding time to mail Powder Puff. Of course you can't go back to bed with two children, but when they go to sleep make some time for yourself.

If you think you are having a bad week, wait until you hear this. The company my DH works for just announced that we are on strike as of midnight tonight. The ratification vote did NOT go well. Silly idiots think a strike is going to make things better. I don't understand, the new contract was quite good for it's members. Oh well, that's life!

MommaG
04-25-2008, 11:28 PM
Well I did have one thing make me laugh tonight. DH and I work at the same call center and we talk about our calls sometimes at home and he was talking about a customer he was dealing with that was swearing at him and he said the words the customer used. So he says the lady said FU next thing you know my two year old daughter says FU daddy and then looks at me FU Mommy turns to my son FU Terry. I am trying hard not to laugh as I know I should be giving her heck for it and I can't do it I was laughing so hard. It helped me feel better that I laughed.

Cynamar
04-25-2008, 11:34 PM
She's been wanting to tell you all off for a long time and got her chance. It's kind of hard to yell when she's copying you!

sue in canada
04-29-2008, 09:25 AM
Dangles and MommaG, hope you are both feeling better. Dangles, how is Flower Garden coming along?

The.Knitter
04-29-2008, 11:29 AM
OK, let's do a check in and see where all our blankets are. It is almost May and I was hoping to be able to deliver the blankets to the hospital in May. If you have a blanket right now, please let me know how far along it is and when we can expect it to move on.

Gina V
04-29-2008, 11:39 AM
OK, let's do a check in and see where all our blankets are. It is almost May and I was hoping to be able to deliver the blankets to the hospital in May. If you have a blanket right now, please let me know how far along it is and when we can expect it to move on.

Hi Christine! I am leaving early next week for a short trip, back on the following Monday. I will start "Teddy Bear Love" while on the road trip and certainly finish the first 6" before I return. Maybe you would rather leave this blanket for the next round of blankets to go out to a hospital. Let me know what you think!

:thumbsup:

The.Knitter
04-29-2008, 11:44 AM
That's great, just keep on knitting and we will see where Teddy Bear Love is when I go to deliver. At this point it might be better to think it will go in the second delivery but who knows! Thanks for the quick response. Enjoy your trip and be safe!

MommaG
04-29-2008, 02:21 PM
I have Mud Pie and I am about half done my section. with being sick for the last couple weeks haven't had full energy but it will be done this week and sent on its way hopefully by Friday.

The.Knitter
04-29-2008, 02:58 PM
Thanks MommaG! I hope you feel better soon. Are you improving at all? This bug that is going around is nasty. My DH has it now and I have something but I'm not sure if it's allergies or this bug. You take care and drink lots of fluids, get lots of rest and take your vitamins!!

Dangles
05-03-2008, 12:34 AM
The Flower Garden is on it's journey once again.

Gina V
05-03-2008, 11:51 AM
The Flower Garden is on it's journey once again.

Goody! :cheering: What colour did you end up using?

Dangles
05-04-2008, 12:16 AM
Goody! :cheering: What colour did you end up using?

I ended up using Caron SS, the light country blue.

The.Knitter
05-04-2008, 10:25 PM
Members, please welcome our newest member. Mary is the wife of a man that works with my DH. She lives in the next town to me. She is happy to be joining us and is looking forward to starting on a blanket soon!

I have three sets of needles and have just been waiting until I felt better and my granddaughter's birthday presents were finished so that I could start a few more blankets travelling around Canada.

Happy Knitting!

Dangles
05-05-2008, 12:09 AM
:waving: Welcome aboard, Mary.

Christine, did you want me to start one?

The.Knitter
05-05-2008, 12:24 AM
Dangles: I sent you a PM!

The.Knitter
05-05-2008, 12:46 AM
OK here is a list of the blankets we have and where they are right now:

Powder Puff: is in the mail right now to Sajomaro.
Flower Garden: is in the mail right now to Daddysgirl.
Mud Pie: is with MommaG and will be going in the mail some time this week.
Sky Blue: is going in the mail to STV some time this week.
Bold is Beautiful: is with kknitter.
Soft Hugs: is with Donna (MM employee).
Fluffy Clouds: is with Paulette (MM employee).
Canadian Flag: is with Shirley (Wasaga Pines resident).
Candy Store, Life's A Beach and Teddy Bear Love are waiting to be started by people that have spoken for them.
Snail, Whales and Puppy Dog Tails: is being started by Dangles.
Sugar, Spice and All Things Nice: is in the planning stages right now, as are Soft Dreams of Spring and Princess Power.

Yes, we have 15 blankets either in production or in the planning stages of production. Ladies, we are doing a really good job!

I hope to have several blankets ready to take to Sick Children's Hospital at the end of May. Let's make the first delivery REALLY special and memorable for the hospital and the children!

Anyone that is wanting to start a blanket, please PM me the details and I will send you the information you need to get you started.

Happy Knitting!

Dangles
05-05-2008, 02:18 PM
Flower Garden is out for delivery according to the posties =)

Sajomaro
05-05-2008, 06:01 PM
I have Powder Puff. I picked it up at the Post Office on Thursday. I've been busy all weekend and but I'm starting it today.

Sajomaro
05-05-2008, 06:43 PM
Here's a picture of Sky Blue.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2007/2468532527_5148d63c7e.jpg

The.Knitter
05-05-2008, 06:59 PM
That looks great Jodi. Thanks!

CelticCat
05-06-2008, 02:01 PM
Am I on the list to get a blanket soon?? If not do you want me to start one??
Mandi aka CelticCat

The.Knitter
05-06-2008, 04:44 PM
You're the next knitter on Sky Blue. It's in the mail to a knitter right now and then it's your turn. I'll let you know when she has it ready to mail to you, but it won't be too long, perhaps two/three weeks. If you'd like to start a blanket that would be great, PM me and I'll send you what you need to get started. Thanks so much!

CelticCat
05-07-2008, 10:39 AM
Thanks! I will be starting "Sugar and Spice" as soon as I can get the supplies together!!
Knit on!

Sajomaro
05-07-2008, 10:22 PM
Sky BLue is on it's way to the next knitter. Tracking # is 0179 3960 0015 4492. It's not going very far and should get there by Friday.

The.Knitter
05-07-2008, 10:45 PM
Members: Please welcome _Lydia_ to our little knitting family. Lydia is a KH member who lives close to where I live. She is anxious to knit on a blanket! Welcome Lydia!!

Our Member List now has 25 people on it, including myself.

C'mon Ladies let's show The Hospital for Sick Children what we can do!!!

MommaG
05-09-2008, 08:58 PM
Got Mud Pie in the mail today confirmation number is 0174 5050 0019 0088.

The.Knitter
05-09-2008, 09:50 PM
That's great, thanks MommaG!

Gina V
05-12-2008, 09:52 AM
I am back from my mini vacation and started Teddy Bear Love while on the road trip. We drove from Ottawa down to Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine. There were 6 of us and we had a wonderful time .... shopping the outlets, eating, touring up the coast, eating, shopping, eating ...... it was great! :woot:

Teddy Bear Love is almost ready to go. I should be finished by tonight .... just let me know who get's it next! Colours are "bear colours". I'm thinking soft browns, taupes, greys, a cream would be nice and maybe even a rose colour in it!

Gina V
05-12-2008, 07:43 PM
I finished the first part of the Teddy Bear love blanket and am ready to get it to the next person .... who just happens to live about 15-20 minutes from my place!! I will drop it off to her in the next few days!

Here's a photo of what I did. Now be kind and remember I am pretty new to knitting! I wanted to do something different and when my mom suggested this I thought I'd give it a try!

How long can I use the "I'm-new-to-knitting" excuse?? :eyes:

http://photosbygina.smugmug.com/photos/294230627_tTB4N-M.jpg

The.Knitter
05-12-2008, 07:45 PM
It looks great to me Gina. Good job!!!

knitgal
05-13-2008, 10:10 AM
That looks so pretty Gina! When I first started knitting, I knit a lot of dishcloths and learned new stitch patterns that way- it was a great way to feel comfortable with knitting, but it looks like you've got a handle on it!

Dangles
05-14-2008, 02:37 AM
Looks good to me, Gina :)

CelticCat
05-14-2008, 11:18 AM
I received "Bold and Beautiful" in the mail yesterday. I began working on it already :)

Christine- I am also working on "Sugar and Spice" that I agreed to start last week. Is there a priority as to which one I should get moving first?

The.Knitter
05-14-2008, 12:02 PM
Nope, just keep plodding on. If either was near the end I'd say finish that one first, but that is not an issue so carry on however way you feel like it. Thanks again!

The.Knitter
05-14-2008, 11:43 PM
Here is an update of the blankets we have in production and where they are right now.

1. Powder Puff: is with Sajomaro.
2. Flower Garden: is with STV.
3. Mud Pie: is with OhMary.
4. Sky Blue: is with STV.
5. Bold is Beautiful: is with Celtic Cat.
6. Soft Hugs: is with Donna (MM employee).
7. Fluffy Clouds: is with Paulette (MM employee).
8. Canadian Flag: is with Shirley (Wasaga Pines resident).
9. Teddy Bear Love: is finished be knit by Gina and should be going in the mail this week.
10. Candy Store and 11. Life's a Beach are waiting to be started by people that have spoken for them.
12. Snails, Whales and Puppy Dog Tails: is being started by Dangles.
13. Sugar, Spice and All Things Nice: is being started by Celtic Cat.
14. Soft Dreams of Spring and 15. Princess Power are in the planning stages right now.

Thanks Ladies, nice job! Keep those blankets moving!!!

Reminder: I'll be away from Thursday morning until Sunday night. If you need assistance contact knitgal. She has all the information you would need.

Take care and have a wonderful Victoria Day weekend!

Gina V
05-15-2008, 06:02 AM
My part of Teddy Bear Love is done and I have passed it on to Brenda (not sure if you have a "nickname" here or if you go by Brenda!). And I mean literally passed on to Brenda .... I left my office yesterday and arrived at her office less than 10 minutes later with the package!! Can't get more convenient than that LOL!! Nice to have met you Brenda!

Dangles
05-15-2008, 02:21 PM
Update, Snails, Whales and Puppy Dog Tails: It is about 2/3 done :)

Knitgal or The.Knitter, could I get details on the next recipient I think I will be able to mail it out on Friday.

knitgal
05-15-2008, 02:39 PM
That's great Dangles- I will PM you with the address of the next knitter!
Christine left today for up north and will be back Sunday night- any questions or concerns can be directed to me until that time.

CelticCat
05-16-2008, 09:28 AM
I am almost done "Bold and Beautiful"...i will be able to mail it out by Sunday- Knitgal- can you send me the address of the next knitter?
Thanks!
Mandi

CelticCat
05-18-2008, 05:19 PM
Bold is Beautiful" is in the mail- tracking number 0015 7410 0032 5558, on its way to Mandyzmoon in Kitchener!

Here is a picture of it so far!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/orangecatblackcat/2502589535/

knitgal
05-18-2008, 07:36 PM
The blanket looks great! I love how bright all the colours are.

Gina V
05-19-2008, 02:38 PM
Bold is Beautiful" is in the mail- tracking number 0015 7410 0032 5558, on its way to Mandyzmoon in Kitchener!

Here is a picture of it so far!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/orangecatblackcat/2502589535/

It looks great! Wonderful colours!

The.Knitter
05-19-2008, 06:44 PM
Thanks Celtic Cat, that is wonderful news. I also heard that Soft Hugs is on it`s last knitter, so we almost have one completed blanket. There are two other blankets that are on their second last knitter, so things are coming along nicely now. Perhaps we will have a delivery ready for the middle or end of June! Way to go Ladies!