PDA

View Full Version : Met A Fellow Male Knitter

Knitting_Guy
03-19-2008, 10:05 AM
I am in a hotel in downtown Cheyenne, WY waiting for my truck to be repaired (again). I walked down to the lobby and into the coffee shop this morning and what do I see? A fellow sitting in a wheelchair knitting a scarf in intarsia on large straights.

He had several intarsia scarves in bright colors laying around him on the backs of chairs and such. It was obvious he's trying to sell them. If I'd had any spare money I would have bought one to help him out but my own wallet is a bit tight right now.

Naturally I couldn't resist walking over and talking to him. He said that he had taken up knitting to give him something to do since being in a wheelchair prevents him from doing a lot of the stuff he used to do, and also said he picks up an extra twenty bucks here and there from his scarves.

I let him know that I am a fellow knitter we chatted about it for a couple of minutes before I had to return to my room to take care of truck related business.

Once I finish up my morning coffee and the ton of phone calls I have to make and take I'll take my knitting backpack back down there in the hope that he'll still be there and we can spend a little more time talking about knitting while knitting together.

I just thought it was really cool to run across a fellow male knitter KIP.

sue in canada
03-19-2008, 10:13 AM
I am sure he would enjoy the company of a fellow knitter too.

Jaxhil
03-19-2008, 10:39 AM
How cool! That'd be great if you catch up with him again-maybe you can tell him about KH and we'll get to "meet" him, too! :cool:

Knitting_Guy
03-19-2008, 10:41 AM
I am sure he would enjoy the company of a fellow knitter too.

I'm sure he would. Too many people often ignore the handicapped.

Knitting_Guy
03-19-2008, 10:44 AM
How cool! That'd be great if you catch up with him again-maybe you can tell him about KH and we'll get to "meet" him, too! :cool:

Actually I asked him if he has net access but he said he can't afford it. Someone on the Men Who Knit site mentioned he would order a scarf from him to help him out so I got the guy's mailing address for anyone who might like to contact him. I'm sure he'd enjoy getting mail (or even scarf orders) from fellow knitters.

I should mention that while he's doing intarsia scarves they're really nothing fancy. He does the best he can given his handicap. My hat is off to him for doing it at all instead of just giving up.

Pagan Princess
03-19-2008, 11:27 AM
Nice one.

Ivy
03-19-2008, 11:54 AM
I should mention that while he's doing intarsia scarves they're really nothing fancy. He does the best he can given his handicap. My hat is off to him for doing it at all instead of just giving up.

Well said. There are so many people out there who have lost hope and given up. I appreciate this knitter's positive attitude and I only wish he spreads it around. I could use some.

Debkcs
03-19-2008, 01:00 PM
Mason, good Intarsia or not, send me his addy, and I'll order a scarf from him at the end of the month. Ask him if $25.00 will cover the scarf, shipping and handling.

I know what it's like to be in his situation, any little bit helps.

Knitting_Guy
03-19-2008, 01:04 PM
Mason, good Intarsia or not, send me his addy, and I'll order a scarf from him at the end of the month. Ask him if $25.00 will cover the scarf, shipping and handling.

I know what it's like to be in his situation, any little bit helps.

Sure, I'll send it to you but I can't ask him as he has already left. I went down a few minutes ago to visit with him and he was gone.

knitncook
03-19-2008, 07:04 PM
Yay!! Mason has a new friend. :) This is seriously cool. He's doing two things at once, giving him something to do and hopefully bringing in some extra needed $$. And perhaps when you pass through this town again you will get to spend a few rows with him.

twoxover
03-20-2008, 07:44 AM
mason-
could you also send me the address?? i'd like to buy one too...

btw-how cool for you both to have met! good karma all around-

betsey

Eccie
03-20-2008, 09:43 AM
That's awesome

campbellmom549
03-20-2008, 10:40 AM
Such an awesome story. Send me his address, too.

Ginnyb
03-21-2008, 09:10 AM
Mason,
I haven't been on this forum long, but you meet the most interesting people and have the greatest stories! I suppose that comes with the territory with your profession, but you have a great way of expressing yourself in your stories!
Ginny