PDA

View Full Version : Knitting in the news: "Grannies and Pro-War activists clash in times square

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
03-19-2008, 11:41 PM
"grannies" held a knit-in :) (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080319/us_nm/iraq_usa_grannies_dc;_ylt=Av.5g3Bo8OiXXX58J832lDpH 2ocA)

Mike
03-20-2008, 02:18 AM
I'm kind of disgusted they'd use something like amputees to push their political agenda with "shock and awe".

It would've been better for grannies, knitting and the injured soldiers if they would've quietly made stump socks without an agenda or done something like a flag to push their agenda.

I know if I was someone who lost a limb and was convinced it was in service of my country I wouldn't be accepting anything donation to tell me it was for nothing. That means if I saw that article any knitted item I received would be going in the trash.

Debkcs
03-20-2008, 03:10 AM
Thank you, Mike. I was an Army nurse,Viet Nam era, took care of P.O.W.'s and worked on amputee wards. They had pride in their service then, and they do now.

One of my prized possesions is a photograph from our wedding (DH was an Army nurse also) that shows fourteen guys from the rehab unit, in wheel chairs or with crutches, who attended. It was a very unusual wedding and reception.

Knitting_Guy
03-20-2008, 10:02 AM
I agree with Mike. Turning charity work into a political statement is just wrong.

campbellmom549
03-20-2008, 10:34 AM
I'm not sure I can agree completely. My husband is in the Air Force, and I know first hand that these men and women are proud to be serving their country. But when the president of our country abuses that pride and sends our men and women out to fight someone else's war and then has the audacity to say what we've gained was worth the cost in proud, American lives, I think turning charity work for injured soldiers into a political statement may be the only thing that wakes people up to the futility of what we are doing to our men and women. Nothing is ever worth the cost of the lives of those military members who have laid their lives down to protect our freedom, necessary or not.

mdog182
03-20-2008, 11:58 AM
doing charity work is a political statement. i mean, unless you are obligated to do so by some kind of court order, by doing charity work you are making a statement (whether you literally tell someone or not) that your cause is important and it's worth drawing attention to. when i read that, i didn't get the sense that they were knitting amputee socks for shock value. that's a genuinely needed item for soldiers who have been injured. the article also says that they were knitting baby clothes. there's nothing shocking about that. i give them props for sticking up for what they believe in by doing something designed during the civil rights movement, a good old fashioned sit in. and they were knitting! what's not to like?

bip
03-20-2008, 12:29 PM
But when the president of our country abuses that pride and sends our men and women out to fight someone else's war and then has the audacity to say what we've gained was worth the cost in proud, American lives, I think turning charity work for injured soldiers into a political statement may be the only thing that wakes people up to the futility of what we are doing to our men and women. Nothing is ever worth the cost of the lives of those military members who have laid their lives down to protect our freedom, necessary or not.

I wholeheartedly agree.

KnitTwit
03-20-2008, 12:36 PM
doing charity work is a political statement. i mean, unless you are obligated to do so by some kind of court order, by doing charity work you are making a statement (whether you literally tell someone or not) that your cause is important and it's worth drawing attention to. when i read that, i didn't get the sense that they were knitting amputee socks for shock value. that's a genuinely needed item for soldiers who have been injured. the article also says that they were knitting baby clothes. there's nothing shocking about that. i give them props for sticking up for what they believe in by doing something designed during the civil rights movement, a good old fashioned sit in. and they were knitting! what's not to like?

Amen! :yay:

maniago
03-20-2008, 12:46 PM
I agree with Mike. Turning charity work into a political statement is just wrong.
I agree!! I don't feel charity is a political statement.

Ilove2knit
03-20-2008, 01:09 PM
I agree with Mike: charity work should not be done to promote a political agenda. As a matter of fact, I think charity work should be done privately; if it's done to make a point or to make yourself look good, I think it defeats the purpose. Charity work should be about helping someone else, not about showing off what a good person you are for helping. Just my 2cents, for what it's worth.

feministmama
03-20-2008, 02:03 PM
I think it's awesome! GO Grannies Go!

Mike
03-20-2008, 02:45 PM
Nothing is ever worth the cost of the lives of those military members who have laid their lives down to protect our freedom, necessary or not.

Thank the powers that be that the Founding Fathers of the US didn't think that way or we'd all be speaking English right now. :wink: :-P

campbellmom549
03-20-2008, 03:01 PM
Thank the powers that be that the Founding Fathers of the US didn't think that way or we'd all be speaking English right now. :wink: :-P

Oh, I didn't mean it that way. The fight for our freedom is and was certainly necessary.

Mike
03-20-2008, 03:27 PM
I've been waiting to use that joke for a couple weeks and saw the opportunity. :mrgreen:

Knitting_Guy
03-20-2008, 03:38 PM
I've been waiting to use that joke for a couple weeks and saw the opportunity. :mrgreen:

Ya beat me to it.

Plantgoddess+
03-20-2008, 03:52 PM
As the daughter, aunt, niece, and sister of members of the military of all branches, I applaud anyone who speaks out on unnecessary bloodshed and conflict to promote political agendas. War is a tragedy and noone wins except those who start them, certainly not those destined to fight them.
I applaud those grannies, we as citizens have a responsibility to protest when we see wrong being done.

cindycactus
03-20-2008, 04:30 PM
I agree with Mike: charity work should not be done to promote a political agenda. As a matter of fact, I think charity work should be done privately; if it's done to make a point or to make yourself look good, I think it defeats the purpose. Charity work should be about helping someone else, not about showing off what a good person you are for helping. Just my 2cents, for what it's worth.

I agree!

Sarahc409
03-20-2008, 08:30 PM
A friend of my mother-in-law is in this group and she does a ton of charity knitting that no one hears about. I think these grannies just want to see the war come to an end. The other day she proudly showed me the stump cover she was knitting and I have to say there was this sence of gratefulness she had to be able to do this for our men who so bravely have fought the war and lost a limb doing so. Go grannies go!