PDA

View Full Version : Gassy dog!

figaro
03-20-2008, 09:33 AM
UGH! :ick::passedout: We can't stand it when he passes gas! I never knew a dog could smell that bad and just look at you like he has no idea why you are calling him a stinky dog! This just recently started happening, we have had the dog for about 7 years and until now, it was a occasional occurance. Now it is happening at least 3-6 times a day! He has always eaten Iams dog food (lamb and rice for his skin and then adult) and we just switched to Nutro Max Nautrals (it says it is easy to digest) and he is still stinking up the entire house!:thud:

Anyone here have the same problem and if so, have you found any solution that works? :pray: The vet did tell me not to use Beano on him so that is out of the question...

momwolf
03-20-2008, 10:11 AM
When you switch dog foods you should always mix the old dog food with the new so his digestive system gets used to the new food.
Funny about the beano LOL LOL

vaknitter
03-20-2008, 10:15 AM
All I can offer is my sympathy as we too have a "stinky butt." I swear the dog has IBS, I seriously keep anti-diahhreals on hand for him as every few months there is a week that is unbearable. Anyway - the gas makes your eyes water and I sometimes think he looks at us like we did something.

bailsmom
03-20-2008, 10:19 AM
Well, my first reaction would be to switch back to the old food and see if you notice a difference.

My second thought is: Is his bowl on the floor or elevated on a food stand? Our German Shepherd had gas problems and then we got an elevated dog food stand (you can get them anywhere) and it stopped the gas.

Is his poop okay?? Any diarrhea at all?? Does he it it fast? If he's a fast eater put a small heavy bowl upside-down in his bowl and put the food around it and then he has to use his tongue slower to get the food so he chews it more than swallows it whole. Some vets recommend a big rock too, and I know they make special bowls for this problem too, I just don't know how much they are.

I hope some of this helped, if not, I'm sorry!! :hug: All else fails, ask your vet. Good luck and I hope your pup feels better soon, it's no fun being gassy!

ladyjessica
03-20-2008, 10:20 AM
My dogs always get like that for a few days when I switch their foods. Their stomachs have to get used to the new formula, and then they're usually ok.

gingerbread
03-20-2008, 10:26 AM
My poor puppy was like that, all day and all night:passedout:. Yup that look as if to say, don't look at me I didn't do it.

She finally grew out of it and thank goodness. We had more watery eyes during that time. I couldn't believe that a dog could be so ripe.:ick::ick:

Hope you find the reason for your dog, I also thought that the change of food could be the reason.

Knitting_Guy
03-20-2008, 10:34 AM
Cork?

gingerbread
03-20-2008, 10:36 AM
Cork?

:roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard: :roflhard: Mason

Mulderknitter
03-20-2008, 10:37 AM
My cat had that problem until we put him on science diet. only farts once in a while now. :pout:

mwhite
03-20-2008, 11:00 AM
:ick: What an awful situation for you all....sure hope it clears up soon. I agree that changing the food has something to do with it and if you'll notice, most dogfoods now have vegees in them so the Beano might not be a bad idea! LOL!

figaro
03-20-2008, 11:10 AM
Thank you for all the sympathy! When I say we just changed dog foods, I mean last night, otherwise he has been on Iams either lamb and rice or adult for years now. I am hoping the new stuff (Nutro Mas Naturals) helps as it says it is easier to digest and it does not have any meat-by-products in it which the vet said could lead to gas. I read somewhere about walking helps to get it out and I will start that as soon it the 45 mile an hour gusts and cold weather is gone (my 2 year old would not like that so much!) I am also going to feed him smaller amounts throughout the day and see if that also helps. As far as how fast he eats, he eats slow, sometimes I watch him and he will take a few pieces of food out and put it on the ground then eat it one by one! He is weird, this is also the dog who comes into a room and will stand there and stare at me like I called him to give him a treat or something and he will keep doing it until I tell him to lay down.

vaknitter
03-20-2008, 01:20 PM
Aren't dogs funny...our farter is 12 and he has farted his entire life despite food changes, an elevated food stand, Kong toys to make him eat slower, twice daily walks etc. It's just his "internal plumbing" as the commercials like to say. I do notice it is really horrible when guests come over. Watching people that aren't that familiar with us or the dog is really fun b/c you know they smell it, heck the EPA is tracking him, and yet they don't want to say anything in case it was a person, but yet they don't want us to think it was them....hehe we're mean.
As for the staring at you my parents dog does this too. When he does it it means Give me a bone I'm hungry. The box is right there where he can stick his nose in and get one but he won't do it. (He had Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever and needs to gain weight so he has free access to bones and food) He will stare at the box and stare at you until you give him 2. Yes, not one, he needs 2. One for now and one to hide for later.

maniago
03-20-2008, 02:16 PM
Yogurt will help a gassy dog if it is not due to food. Boxers are just gassy by nature and with three you almost need gas masks. Here is a good gas reducing treat :
Mix equal parts natural yogurt and natural peanut butter, whip it till light and fluffy. place dollops on a cookie sheet and freeze. They make wonderful summer treats

Mike
03-20-2008, 02:29 PM
Yes my present dog has some major gas outs. I often wonder what he is eating that contains sulfur (I had to switch to non-sulfured molasses to cure myself).
A friend suggested that when you think your hunting dog is hunting they're really going around eating things.

After having 2 dogs die from bloat I welcome the farts and burps, it means nothing is twisted or blocked.
It's just the natural order of things. Be thankful it's not a pet cow, lamb or other ruminant.

I'm about the same age as the 7 year old dog and 3-6 times a day is about right. My dog doesn't seem to mind usually. Sometimes he's even impressed.

saracidaltendencies
03-20-2008, 03:02 PM
Oooh, I feel for ya! Our dog has that problem when we switch her food. We normally try to get her the same stuff all the time, but, when the store is out of it, we get something else. We have one of our dogs on the Nutro Max and while the change initially caused her to stink up the house, she's adjusted and it's no where near as bad as it was! An occasional one here and there...lol

figaro
03-20-2008, 03:56 PM
Demonica you give me hope! That is the food we have and I am hoping it works!

Maniago-I am going to try that with yougurt/pb, sounds like he would like it and would work!

Thanks you all, its nice to know my dog is not the only one clearing out a room!

saintkurt
03-20-2008, 04:42 PM
Hey - that is a stinky problem! There's nothing worse than a "fog dart". The one good thing is that at least you have a scape goat for your own ... uh... smells. Just make sure the dog is actually in the room when you blame him. (I made that mistake once and lost my scapegoat forever more.)

I'm surprised your vet told you not to use beano. Any particular reason? We recommend it regularly in the teaching hospitalas it is non-toxic to animals and works in them the same way it does in us. (I'm just entering my last year of vet school - I'm trying to learn knitting as a way to increase my surgical finger dexterity. :) ) The active ingredient in beano is a natural enzyme called alpha-galactosidase which breaks complex sugars (the ones that ferment and make gas) down into simple sugars (like glucose and galactose) - that we or the dog can utilize quickly. I used to have a farty cat that benefitted from a few drops on his food once and a while.

My information certainly shouldn't trump your vets (as she has graduated and I have not), but it's something to ask about if you're curious.

Another very good nutritional supplement is something called "Fortiflora" that you can get from your veterinarian. It is basically the veterinary version of "acidophilus" - active microorganism cultures, but they are enteric organisms naturally occurring in the canine gut. It's a nutritional supplement too. Good stuff. Purina makes it. A vet can prescribe it.

There is a feline version that I can vouch for. I give it to my cats for small upsets and they clear right up. It's great for diarrhea in particular.

For something you should be able to find in the local PetSmart type store - charcoal biscuits may help. Though remember, they are black so your dogs poop may darken too.

Another drug option that is safe for dogs is Simethicone - the active ingredient in GasX. You can get the people pills from your local drug store or there are dog specific formulations that are pastes and gels with flavor (and expense) added.

As with any information provided on the internet by a total stranger, please do not use it in place of veterinary supervision/advice. I mention these things only as ideas that I had not seen in previous threads. They may merit discussion with your dogs veterinarian.

Most important is whether or not your vet has determined a reason for this new change in your dogs digestive ... status. Depending on the size of your dog and the age he was when you adopted him, this may be a normal aging change or it could be signs of impending illness. Off the top of my head... flatulence could point to anything from nothing to worry about to some fairly serious digestive and pancreatic disorders; a possible cause is worth looking into if only to assure yourself that it really is nothing to worry about.

Oh, and Mike is certainly correct about the ruminants. They fart methane.

Good luck!
~SK

mwhite
03-20-2008, 06:00 PM
OMG!! LOL! You can give them Beano and even GasX!!! I was just kidding but this is great! Thanks, SK!

wellslipmystitches
03-20-2008, 10:20 PM
Debbie, Have trained and handled dogs for 35 yrs. Your problem isn't the food - it's the change of food, too fast. Please avoid switching back and forth. First I have to know what breed or combo of breeds you have and if he's overweight. First guess would be a Boxer or something over 40 lbs. Why did you alter the dog's diet in the first place? Because of flatulence or something else? Always change things gradually. You must also understand that the larger the breed, the shorter the life span. In other words if you have a large breed dog, 7 yrs. is OLD! Their digestive systems can be very touchy. Diminutive breeds have a much longer life span. If your dog is experiencing diarrhea and/ or vomiting along with the gas I'd put him on a diet of cooked ground beef, rice and cottage cheese for a few days. I used that with several of mine until they were more comfortable after intestinal upsets from illness. Then gradually add the new food a quarter cup at a time 'til he's on all new food. If he's a larger breed you want to be careful to avoid bloat which is very common and not funny at all. It can have VERY SERIOUS consequences especially in an older animal. Large breeds are very susceptible to bloat- smaller ones get it too. Ask your vet about it. Also, in lieu of buying special dishes etc. if he/she wolfs food down - just spread the daily ration out on newspaper or the floor if you're not picky. It takes time to pick up each bit so that eliminates gulping food too quickly. If he's not a gulper try that bland diet for 3 or 4 days and see if he's more comfortable before you switch to new food. If you have a Boxer, good luck. If we could harness their emanations we could probably greatly diminish our dependence on foreign oil. An addendum:Please be careful about snacks. and check on the amount of food you are feeding. Not according to what it says on the dog food bag. Most makers hope you'll buy more. I know it makes you feel good to reward the animal, but, it won't really make him feel any better. If you have a small breed dog then I'm wrong, but not about the food. Best of luck, Jean

KnitClickChick
03-20-2008, 10:51 PM
:rofl: Every once in a while one of our cats gets a bit of gas - we can't tell who, they usually lounge around each other - and it is awful. I'm not sure what it is from, we always feed them the same food. I just light some incense. Anyway, hope you are able to get things sorted out.

figaro
03-21-2008, 10:32 AM
wellslipmystitches, he has always eaten Iams dog food, 90% of the time it was lamb and rice per our old vet for his skin and the other (Iams Adult) it was because the store was out of his l & r and he needed food. He is not a Boxer, he is labeled as a Great Dane mix although I think he is actually a pit bull mix but we will never know for sure. He was found wondering the streets with a foxtail in his eye and was maybe 8-10 weeks old at that time. His muzzle has been going grey for a couple of years now although there are no signs of old age (no arthritis or anything else) and his 2 vets have never said he was overweight. As as how he eats, well he is a slow eater, I have seen him take out 2 or 3 pieces of food, put them on the ground and then eat each piece one by one otherwise it can take him about 15 minutes to eat his bowl. He has never vomited and I can't remember the last time he had diarrhea. As far as snacks go, his current is Iams dog biscuits and chew hooves but these are not given consistantly, they are are treat and are treated as such. I think he is a healthy dog, he has has skin problems in the past but since we moved to NJ, those are gone. (his old vet thought it may have been a type of grass that irritated his skin that was in our old yard)

The gas issue is really a recent one, I would say in the past 2 years or so. This is the first time he has eaten this food and I am hoping that with the food and me feeding him smaller amounts throughout the day it will reduce the gas problem. I am also going to try the peanut butter/yogurt to see if that helps.

The reason I am so confused about the gas is that except for the food that was changed 2 or 3 nights ago, he had not had anything change foodwise for months. And the gas starts? The reason we changed his food now is to try and see if he farts less with this one that claims that it is easier to digest.

auburnchick
03-21-2008, 10:42 AM
I have to wonder if it's just the dog getting older. My oldest dog has started passing gas more frequently. She's eight years old.

Old people tend to get more gassy as they age. Why not animals?

Good luck.

PurlyGyrl
03-21-2008, 11:08 AM
:roflhard: Mason!
My dog is not "windy"--Princess Ginger poodle--NEVER!
But (no pun intended) one of my cats, Sir Fluff, is a stinker--literally. He passes a lot of gas.
I get so tickled--he and Ginger will snuggle together and he'll let loose. She gets up and MOVES away.:shock: Even the dog can't stand it!:teehee:

wellslipmystitches
03-21-2008, 02:39 PM
That's good info, Debbie. You do have a larger breed who is aging and with the abrupt change in food his digestive system is a little tender. Give it some time and he should adapt. Check the fat content in pig ears, plus any additives. My guys all had problems handling those when they were older. Discontinued them totally. Those hams, ribs and other pig parts will be the death of us all . . . but, they're so goooood! Happy Easter. Where I live the Easter Bunny had better have his longies and high boots to go hippity-hop thru a foot or so of snow. Jean

figaro
03-21-2008, 05:42 PM
I gave him pig ears once and they were gone in about 30 seconds! That was the last time too. Now his only treats are the Iams dog biscuits and the chew hooves from cows, at least those take him a couple of weeks to go through.

Plantgoddess+
03-21-2008, 09:48 PM
I wish you the best of luck with the odors. I have a boxer/lab and I have to watch him like a hawk when out hiking. He loves venison and is always dragging deer parts into the yard. I have to be very careful in his diet, he will peel paint off the walls if he gets too many treats or scraps let alone all the venison he finds.
If I can keep him from eating anything other than what I give him he's fine, but it doesn't take much to set him off.
My dalmation/lab only has odorless farts thank goodness. The only way to tell she has let loose is when she looks at her tail with a puzzled look on her face. Every once in a while I'll hear her pass gas but they never smell.

Mike
03-21-2008, 10:18 PM
My Springer doesn't have a problem with venison. I "accidentally" drop some when I'm butchering.

I think his problem is either making it back to the compost bin or eating bird or cat poop.

It's really hard to say what they'll pick up. My neighbor had to clean up his fruit constantly because his Bassets would go after it until they were sick.

princess
03-21-2008, 11:57 PM
ugh my little tiny bichon loves to go out in the garage with my dad when he is working on the cars. Man, my dad loves it and makes jokes because my dog will go around eating all the bugs(dead or alive!) and spiderwebs, then a short bit later he vomits it up. My dad jokes that he makes it an easy clean by consolidating! i get so mad when i catch my dad letting him in the garage, lol.

Sweet_Thang
03-25-2008, 04:45 PM
I am a little late, but I had to reply!

I lovingly call my schnauzer, SirFartsAlot. Let's just say that the dog's got some stinky going on. Though it's funny, when you hear a "pphht", it's not stinky, it's the silent ones that are deadly.
First time he let one pass, and I heard it. I looked at him and he looked at me with a look of 'why did you do that?". Blamin me for it!
Though, he turned 10 on the 15th, and we had gone out to dinner to celebrate DH's birthday. We had a huge porterhouse steak and brought home the bone for the dog. Let's just say that he passed Poterhouse Steak Farts for about three days and they were AWFUL!
:passedout:

hocns
03-30-2008, 07:14 PM
One of my dogs had a stinky episode once for a few weeks, after she found and partly consumed a long dead groundhog. Talk about a lethal weapon, silent but deadly. The vet put her on lamb and rice, the actual food, not dog food, and that seemed to clear it up quickly. That was over 20 years agoe, but the memory is still strong.