PDA

View Full Version : Yarn for baby blanket?

jent103
03-24-2008, 06:10 PM
I'm an "advanced beginner" knitter and brand-new to this forum, and hoping to get a little yarn advice! I just found out I'm getting my first niece or nephew. I have a pattern for a big, cozy baby blanket from the first Stitch & Bitch book I've made before, but last time made it out of acrylic (Lion Jiffy) because it was so much cheaper. I think I can spend a little more on this one! The pattern is mostly stockinette stitch with seed stitch border, knit with two strands of yarn throughout. I'm looking for something...

- not terribly expensive (this blanket takes a lot of yarn!)
- soft
- easy to care for (I'm thinking the last thing my sister-in-law will want to do is hand wash a baby blanket)
- comes in non-pastel-y colors

Am I dreaming? Thank you so much for any advice! I live in Nashville and know of two yarn shops around (plus Michael's and JoAnn), but could order online as well.

Jan in CA
03-24-2008, 06:49 PM
Let's see... Plymouth Encore comes in lots of pretty colors and is very easy care! Each skein has 200 yds, too!

http://www.plymouthyarn.com/index.php?nav=cYarn.yarnDetail&yarnid=000055&searchcollection=000005

ArtLady1981
03-24-2008, 08:43 PM
Mcro-Spun!

I made a baby blanket last year, using two strands of Micro-Spun...and it turned out magnifico! It is warm, soft, squishy and washable! And, micro-spun comes in lots of non-babyish colors! MICROSPUN AT JOANN'S (http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CATID=cat2949&PRODID=prd49524&source=search)

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/2007030.jpg

jent103
03-24-2008, 11:23 PM
Thanks so much to you both! I'll definitely check out both of those. I had thought about staying away from acrylic just because the last one had some spots that got kind of "worn" as I worked it, for lack of a better word, and didn't look great - but maybe that was just that line? Still learning about all this!

Ivy
03-25-2008, 03:38 AM
Wow, that blanket is beautiful. How many skeins did you use, ArtLady?

GinnyG
03-25-2008, 05:19 AM
Well it's not inexpensive but I am finsihing up a blanket with Debbie Bliss Baby Casmerino and I AM IN LOVE. It is so soft an wonderful AND machine washable. I purchased the yarn on ebay for $3.50 a skein.

WandaT
03-25-2008, 07:28 AM
I just finished a baby blanket using Red Heart Soft and it feels wonderful. It also washed up nicely too and has lots of colors to choose from.

ArtLady1981
03-25-2008, 07:09 PM
Wow, that blanket is beautiful. How many skeins did you use, ArtLady?

Hoo boy! I can't remember! :eyes: That was pre-Ravelry days! (Before I had to make note!)

I had a boatload of the yarn! I posted about the blanket in last year's Year of the Stash 2007. Maybe I can find it somewheres.
I can't believe it! I found it! HERE (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52083&highlight=year+stash+2007&page=4) on page 4/post 40/Year of the Stash 2007!

I used 16 skeins it says! Take a peek!
On the next page of the thread, page 41, I was asked to share the pattern...so here is a copy/paste of that post:

My Microspun double-stranded baby blanket pattern is 46" x 46" on 10.5 needles:

Cast on 150 St.

Border Rows 1-10: Knit to end of each row. This creates the bottom garter stitch border.

After the Garter Stitch Border...

Begin the basketweave pattern as follows:

Row 1 (RS) and all odd numbered rows: Knit across to end of row

Rows 2, 4, 6, 8 (WS): K5 *K5, P5...repeat from * across...then end row w/ K5.

Rows 10, 12, 14, 16 (WS): K5, *P5, K5...repeat from * across...end row w/ K5.

Repeat Rows 1-16 til 2" shy of desired length.

End with a repeat of Border Rows 1-10 for the top garter stitch border.

FYI: Word to the wise: Place stitch markers every 5 stitches! The "working pattern" rows are done from the WS...you can't easily see what should be what. It is easy to get carried away and/or distracted when knitting the K5 P5 sequence from the WS! :pout: