PDA

View Full Version : How long have you been knitting and how much do you knit?

tokmom
03-26-2008, 01:40 AM
You ladies, and men;) are where I want to be one day. Just very knowledgeable about knitting in general. It seriously amazes me. :notworthy:

How long have you been knitting? Did you take classes or figure it out by yourselves?

How often do you get to sit down and knit and for how long? One quick row or do you get some knitting in at one sitting?

Sometimes I go a few days without being able to knit and I miss it. It's like I don't know what to do with my hands.:aww:

Knit4Pie
03-26-2008, 06:05 AM
I learned how to knit when I was about 5, relearned how when I was about 9 or 10. Didn't knit again until my late teens (and I didn't know how to cast on properly, so I would knot the yarn onto the needle, or have someone else cast on for me). I've really started knitting seriously about a year ago.

Ronda
03-26-2008, 07:15 AM
I've been knitting just a couple years now. I learned mostly from KnittingHelp.com! When I first started, I was knitting every night. I'm sort of taking a knitting break right now. I messed up the last 2 projects I worked on, so I'm not knitting anything at the moment and haven't for about 2 months now. I think of projects that I want to do. I keep coming here. I've bought several patterns. I keep looking at knitting magazines. I'm on Ravelry or here looking at other people's knitting! I look at my yarn and I have sort of a "longing" to knit, but I'm still mad at myself. :D

KnittinMitchie
03-26-2008, 07:49 AM
I bought the Knit Knack Kit (http://www.amazon.com/Knit-Knack-Kit-Kris-Percival/dp/0811838579/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206531843&sr=8-1) to learn to knit. After that my husband's aunt that lives out in VA corrected some of my small errors a couple of moths after I started knitting.

Come July I'll have been knitting for 2 yrs. I also crocheter, but lack some of the MAD skills some people have.

As for how much I get done in my knitting really depends on my mood and the time I have during the day. I carry a smaller project in my purse so i can knit in the car (not while driving of course) or while at the doctor.

I normally have 3 projects going at once. One for my purse, one for knitting group and the one I keep at home to work one. This last one is normally something larger or requires my TOTAL concentration.

Knitting_Guy
03-26-2008, 07:59 AM
I learned from a book and from KH. I've only been knitting less than a year and a half.

My knitting time depends on my schedule. I am usually knitting while waiting for my food order in a truckstop or in the evening after I have parked for the night.

miss_molly
03-26-2008, 08:17 AM
I learnt to knit from my mother when I was about 10, then stopped knitting in my early 20's and didn't start again till 4 years ago... a 30 year break. In the last four years I've learnt a lot, mainly by just doing it, but also from googling for information on the Web.

I knit as often as I can - in the car (as a passenger), train, waiting rooms, watching TV, etc - I'm lost on the days I don't have time to knit. I really miss it.

When I'm not knitting, I'm planning - dreaming of what to knit next, and particularly working out colour schemes. What you can do with colour fascinates me.

This sounds pitiful, but I also dream about knitting and yarn... I sleep talk and quite often my poor husband has to put up with weird discussions about knitting, in the middle of the night.

khaosx5
03-26-2008, 08:55 AM
Learned when I was about 5 or 6 from my Grandmother. That makes it 34 or 35 years...knit just about everyday (partly for my job and partly to unwind at the end of the day)
:knitting:

WandaT
03-26-2008, 09:05 AM
I've been crocheting on and off since I was little - just learned to knit in 2006. Mainly taught myself and figured out much more here with the videos. I try to knit or crochet (mainly knit now though) every day, even if it's only 30 min. A girl needs her fix ya know! Most nights I can get in a couple of hours, sometimes more. On days where life is too hectic though I really miss it. If I go too long without fondling my yarn my family can tell ... LOL

Lisa R.
03-26-2008, 09:10 AM
I've been knitting about a year and a half. My dd wanted to learn, and I had to learn to teach her. We found a mom-daughter knitting group and the folks there helped us learn...and between times I watched the videos here on KH--couldn't be where I am without that. Also, something I haven't seen recommended too much--the first book I bought was Knit-Fix! :) I figured with all the mistakes I was making, it would be good to figure out how to fix them without having to wait weeks for someone to show me what to do. Once I realized things could be fixed, I got much more adventurous!

As to how much I knit, it depends on the schedule. I usually take a small project with me anytime there's the possibility of having waiting time---when picking up a dd from work, or going to a restaurant and waiting for food. My main knitting occurs on Tuesdays...my dd has a 1-2 hour trumpet lesson, and a 2 hour jazz rehearsal, so I get at least 3 hours in on Tues!

I also sit with my little girls as they are going to sleep (long story), and I get 20 minutes or more each night doing that. If I ever watch a movie or anything like that, I knit. Basically any time I find myself just "sitting" I try to knit.

Silver
03-26-2008, 09:11 AM
I taught myself to knit about 7+ years ago. I try to knit at least a little everyday, but overall, I'm slow at progressing through projects. When I do sit down to knit, I range anywhere from a few stitches, to a row or two, and on a good day, a few inches in length.

Ginnyb
03-26-2008, 09:19 AM
I have only been knitting for about a year and a half. I am not good at figuring things out for myself so I ask my co-workers who knit or come here for help. My friends from work taught me to knit. I have been knitting quite a bit lately...a couple of hours in the evening and if I have time on the weekends I will sit and knit off and on all day

Ginny

GinnyG
03-26-2008, 09:25 AM
I learned to knit in 1972, my first FO was a shawl out of cotton thread. I loved it. Between 1972 and 2004 my knitting was sporadic with years sometimes passing between fo's. When my kids were babies I did lot of hats, blankets and slippers. I had a knitting surge in 1996, the year I got divorced, and made some sweaters and ponchos and lots of scarves and hats.

But then I met my DH:heart: and the knitting needles got put away for a bit.

THEN in 2004 I had the HUGE pleasure of meeting Eric Schaefer from Schaefer yarn. He gave me some Schaefer yarn as a "Thank you" and I've been a fiber fiend EVER since.

I don't have NEAR as much time to knit as I'd like but DH and I car pool to work and he fixed me a nifty knitting light on the visor so I can sit and knit while he drive, that's a guaranteed 40 minutes a day to knit.

I am a volunteer EMT and on Firday nights and every thrid weekend I am on duty and get to knit to my hearts content (as long as there aren't calls).

dustinac
03-26-2008, 09:27 AM
I learned to knit in May '05 when I joined KH...I learned by watching Amy's videos :happydance:

I try to knit every day but it doesn't happen all the time...depends on the family and what they have in store for me :rofl: ...I will get in some knitting at night while the kids are sleeping...and sometimes during the day if Roo is content...although usually any free time during the day I have is on here :teehee: (under quick links is knitspy and so sometimes I knit while reading that)

Pixywhispers
03-26-2008, 09:32 AM
When I was 8 1/2 months pregnant with my third child I stopped going to church. I was tired of everyone asking about when I was going to pop. : ) So every Sunday I was all alone at home. One night I had a dream that I could knit. My mom suggested I try to, I had nothing better to do that day, so I taught myself to knit. It took a whole day to figure out knit stitch. : )
That was 5 1/2 years ago. I try to pick patterns that I will learn something new, and I enjoy writing my own and I hardly ever follow a pattern 100 percent.
The baby I was pregnant with has asked me to teach her to knit. Its the cutest thing. She controls the right needle and is about to take over the left.
I try to knit a little every day. My life seems to balance more when I take the time to knit. I probably only get in about 4 - 12 rows a day.

boo1
03-26-2008, 10:07 AM
and I'm totally addicted. I'm not particularly good at it but i'm better than I was! :)
I don't get nearly as much done as I should because i spend too much time surfing the net, hanging out at the LYS or whatever. I have about 4 things going right now.

My biggest problem is organizing my stash!

saracidaltendencies
03-26-2008, 10:28 AM
I learned to knit just over 2 years ago. I learned by watching the videos here and reading the Stitch N Bitch book.

I go through knitting spells...lol...There are times when I'm knitting like crazy, everyday for weeks straight, then I'll get kind of burned out and do something else like read a bunch of books or focus on my writing and photography, then there are the times I end up getting bored of it all and do nothing then go crazy because I have nothing to do but I don't feel like knitting, reading, or taking pictures...lol

Ashley13
03-26-2008, 10:40 AM
I have been knitting for 10 years. I took a basic class, but basically taught myself the more complicated things as I went along. I taught myself how to crochet and I have also been doing that for 1 year. I absolutely love to knit. It is my salvation. I try to sit and knit for at least an hour a night, but sometimes, I have to make do with a quick row here and there. I take it wherever I can and try not to be too rude about it.

Mirl56
03-26-2008, 11:50 AM
I learned to knit when I was 17, 1973-74. I knit for maybe 8-10 yrs or so, then got more into counted cross stitch and pretty much stopped kniting. Did a rare/very occassional knitting or crochet project thru the years.

About 3-4 yrs ago I realized I had bought several balls of lion brand sock yarn from Michaels/AC Moore and thought I'd better knit up some before buying any more. After the first pair, I pretty much pushed the cross stitch stash to the side to make room for more and more and more yarn!

I've never taken a class, always self-taught. So much easier to do that now, with the internet, then it was back in the 70's!

I probably knit some most every day, maybe just a hour, maybe on the weekends 3-5 hrs. A lot depends on what else is happening w/my family (DH, 1 DS).

Eekee
03-26-2008, 12:00 PM
I've been knitting since January of last year. I knit almost every day. Sometimes a few minutes, but usually at least an hour or more. I take a sock everywhere I go in case I have to wait.

Crycket
03-26-2008, 12:30 PM
My mom taught me the basics, and Knittinghelp vids taught me all the fiddly stuff in between (especially handy when moms not around)

I knit ALL the time...I have projects stashed everywhere...at least one at home, one for the streetcar, one for my fiancees house...*hides a little* one at work...etc....

I would say I am a advanced to beginner intermediate....I am still trying to make my projects look like the picture...with the 100% perfect tension...(not that mine is bad...it just isn't knitting machine perfect...perhaps I am way out of my league trying to get what a machine does) I am slowly delving into spicier projects with trickier stitches!

Alyce
03-26-2008, 12:45 PM
I first learned to knit in my teens but never did much for the next 40 yrs.:aww: I crochet also and used to do a lot of counted cross stitch.
I really started back xmas a year ago when I quit smoking and needed something to do with my hands. I have finished a number of small projects and am now working on my first pair of socks and my first sweater. Yesterday I found my crossstitch stash and picked up a UFO began working on that. I just love all kinds of needlework and work on something everyday.:knitting:

Jens
03-26-2008, 12:47 PM
I started last summer and I knit mosts nights. I really enjoy it.
Jen

bjc1050
03-26-2008, 12:50 PM
I learned to knit back in the '60s in high school. Didn't knit much again until the '70s when I had children. Refreshed my memory with a Columbia Minerva learn to knit booklet. Made a few items, mittens and a jumper for my daughter, and an afghan. Collected many of the Golden Hands booklets for a few years. Started knitting again a few years ago...made a sweater for GD...still needs to be assembled. DS and his wife split suddenly and relationship with GD was interrupted for a couple of years. Moved on to knitting a few dog sweaters and dishcloths, a poncho and dress and a sweater, hat, and skirt set for GD. Relationship with GD has been interrupted again for an indefinite period again. So now I'm in a creative slump at the moment. GD was my primary recipient of knit/crochet projects. Have fallen back onto crocheting granny squares for the time being, also crochet slippers for Christmas and a bag to hold them.

I guess I'm an intermediate beginner knitter and crocheter.

jjminarcik
03-26-2008, 01:12 PM
I learned to knit from KH almost 2 years ago! Depending on my schedule, I try to knit everyday at least for a few rows. But mostly it ends of being a weekend marathon!

Plantgoddess+
03-26-2008, 01:57 PM
I taught myself to knit about 30 years ago because I was bored with crocheting. I was an intermittent knitter for years. Maybe one sweater per winter or a couple pair of socks for hubby. Now I'm semi-retired and have been so inspired by KH and all you wonderful knitters that I have been in a knitting frenzy all winter. I have completed 2 afghans, 1 sweater and am halfway through my 10th pair of socks and champing at the bit to cast on my next pair (bamboo). I'm not sure I'll put my needles away come spring this year, we'll see.

Spokaloo
03-26-2008, 05:40 PM
I taught myself to both knit and crochet when I was about 12 -- way back when the dinosauers were still roaming the Earth! I about 10 years ago and misplaced all of my hooks and needles and was bound and determined not to put myself to the expense of replacing them. You know how it is: As soon as you replace them, they show up! Finally, about 2 years ago, the urge to do something was just too great, so I replaced them. Then I got into sock yarn and socks and I've been knitting almost constantly since then!

Simply_Renee
03-26-2008, 06:22 PM
I have only been knitting since Nov-Dec, but have become rather obsessed since then. I am learning from the Boye Needle Co. book (wal-mart) called "I taught myself knitting" that has needles, stitch markers (still am not sure how to use them) etc. It didn't really click too well until I came here and was able to ask questions & see the videos.

I knit a little every day most days. I find it's really the only time of day that I am not multitasking. Working with my hands is very meditative, and I am having so much fun looking at all the patterns I want to try.

Happy knitting!

lelvsdgs
03-26-2008, 07:11 PM
I learned to knit from my Grandma when I was 8, so this year it will be 40 years :thud: Oh my gosh, 40 years... when did I turn into my mother??? Anyway, when my Carpal Tunnel isn't bothering me I usually knit for a couple of hours off and on during the day. It is the best stress reliever I've found and keeps me out of the kitchen in the evenings.

Koehnae
03-26-2008, 07:19 PM
How long have you been knitting? Did you take classes or figure it out by yourselves?

I taught myself knitting from a book called "I Taught Myself Knitting." :p I was 15 years old, so I've been knitting almost 15 years now. My first project was horrendous, but I was proud of it because I figured it all out by myself. I've definitely learned a lot more since then... getting internet sure helped!

How often do you get to sit down and knit and for how long? One quick row or do you get some knitting in at one sitting?

I knit while I watch TV with my dearest almost every night. I usually get in at least two hours a day, but weekends can be rough on my knitting time.

Sometimes I go a few days without being able to knit and I miss it. It's like I don't know what to do with my hands.:aww:

I've been known to let some work for my classes go so I can get in a few rows. It really feels wrong to go a day without knitting. There's times when I don't have my project along and I have to sit somewhere... all I can think is, "What a waste of valuable knitting time!"

Newbie2Knitting
03-26-2008, 08:17 PM
I learned last summer, mostly from KH with a few YouTube videos thrown in for good measure. When I first got the hang of it, it's all I would do - housework be darned! Lately I'm being Miss Responsible and keeping the house clean. Really cuts into the knitting time, though. I'll go a few days w/o touching the ol' needles.

snowbear
03-26-2008, 08:36 PM
I started knitting when my daughter told me to, lol she was pregnant. That was about 4 yrs ago, and I love it. I usually knit about 5 out of 7 days. I miss it when I can't, but there are days when my schedule and need for sleep just doesn't allow it.

luvtoknit
03-26-2008, 11:41 PM
I taught myself how to knit when I was in my 20's. I did a little bit but went back to doing crochet. About 10 years ago I started knitting off and on. Just recently I started again making dishcloths and working on an afghan. I also crochet and do cross stitch. I try to do some knitting everyday.

Linda

SteveDallas
03-27-2008, 12:04 AM
About six months... by myself, with some help from books, and LOTS of help from posters here, and from other web sites. (I got hooked here because of Amy's videos.)

I try to knit some every day, but it doesn't always happen. My current project is a sock and I'm happy if I'm able to add an inch or so to it each day.

RitaJo
03-27-2008, 12:52 AM
For about 2 weeks :yay:

I've already found a LYS (did I get that right?) and hope to take some classes soon.

I have 4 young kids and teach full time, so finding the time is a definite struggle. I'm very proud of my 5 inches of ribbed scarf :woohoo: - I can't imagine ever doing a swearter or something, but I hope I get there someday.

Rita

Cynamar
03-27-2008, 02:11 AM
I just learned this winter around my 41st birthday. I've wanted to knit all my life but couldn't make sense of written instructions. I finally pinned my mom down and she showed me and I bought a sock DVD.

Mike
03-27-2008, 02:56 AM
I've been knitting for 2 months.

If I have a day where I only knit a few rows it's because I don't feel like knitting. I work at home and can at least fit in a few rows while I'm waiting for something to pickle or clean.
On days I don't work, 8 hours with breaks isn't uncommon, 16 hours isn't unheard of.
With spring coming I'll have other hobbies taking over, I think I only did 2 rows on my new sock project and 4 rows on my sweater today because fixed the tiller up and started on the garden. Serious yarn work is for when it's too hot to be in the garden or shooting and after hunting season.

I learned on the internet. I tried to get my sister (who taught me crochet) to do it but she doesn't like it.

punk knitter
03-27-2008, 12:23 PM
ive been knitting for..... wow 5 years!!! ive been knitting since i was like 11, i didnt do it as much though. not as much as i do now. i try to knit as much as i can, im not really that good yet, i dont have all the patience to do a whole sweater or something, but i luv to make hats!!! and coming up w/ my own patterns. i luv to try new things. i dont want something someone else has. my mom tought me the basics and then i just learned everything else off the internet, and now i know more than my mom does!!! i still have alot to learn though...

mdog182
03-27-2008, 07:27 PM
i've been knitting since november 2006. i had my one year anniversary! :happydance: but anyway...i learned mostly from the internet. i do well with videos so this site came in handy. i try to knit a little bit each day after work (for about 1/2 to an hour) and on the weekends i try to do a couple 1/2 sessions throughout the day.

outdoordrea
03-27-2008, 07:36 PM
I've only been knitting since the end of Dec 07, and as with almost anything new, I've already knitted up a storm: 4 scarves, 4 hats, three pairs of fingerless mitts, a lined felted bag, 2 shrugs, and 1 shrug and a vest on the needles. Whew! I try to knit everyday, and actually have withdrawals when I don't! After finishing my degree in Computer Science last winter, I wanted something to occupy my time...so I bought a kit called "I taught myself to knit", and then found this website. Amy's videos are really what has catapulted me into the knitter that I am today...that and all the nice folks on this forum!

lacalagirl
03-27-2008, 08:08 PM
I taught myself to knit about 10 years ago as when I was younger people found it difficult to teach me because I was left handed. I learnt mainly from How to Knit by Debbie Bliss. My first few projects turned out really bad, "put them in the bin" bad :roflhard: , but I perservered and after a couple of years I was quite an accomplished if unadventurous knitter!

Now after nearly 3 years away from the needles I am back, and I am loving it! :woohoo:

Rachel

debknits
03-27-2008, 08:34 PM
I have been knitting for almonst 30 years now. Since I haven't been working for the last 4 years I have been knitting up a storm. Before that I would maybe turn something out every couple of months or so. But now i can get a pair of socks done in about a week or two.:woohoo:

tokmom
03-27-2008, 09:20 PM
I learnt to knit from my mother when I was about 10, then stopped knitting in my early 20's and didn't start again till 4 years ago... a 30 year break. In the last four years I've learnt a lot, mainly by just doing it, but also from googling for information on the Web.

I knit as often as I can - in the car (as a passenger), train, waiting rooms, watching TV, etc - I'm lost on the days I don't have time to knit. I really miss it.

When I'm not knitting, I'm planning - dreaming of what to knit next, and particularly working out colour schemes. What you can do with colour fascinates me.

This sounds pitiful, but I also dream about knitting and yarn... I sleep talk and quite often my poor husband has to put up with weird discussions about knitting, in the middle of the night.

I do the same thing.:roflhard: I dreamt someone gave me an entire box of Noro Kureyon for FREE! I was really disappointed to wake up and find out it wasn't true.:aww:

tokmom
03-27-2008, 09:31 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies.:) I had fun reading them. It seems all of you are SO accomplished and I thought had been knitting for years! You give this newbie hope.:teehee:

1knitscarf
03-27-2008, 10:18 PM
Hi,
I've been knitting for 1 year and 3 months.
I learned last January at a LYS, then took a 2 hour class at Michael's craft store. From then on I was hooked knitting skinny scarves of all colors and reading knitting blogs. Now, sightseeing and meeting knitters around the world on Ravelry.

I used to knit last year every night sometimes til 3am. This year, I cut back on my knitting time. Twice a week to knit 2 scarves.

You, do you knit as much you did when you first learned?

cftwo
03-28-2008, 09:31 AM
I learned how to knit at about age 12 or so. I tend to go in spurts of knitting a lot, and then not picking it up for a while. In my latest spurt of knitting, though, I picked up quite a stash, which I need to work my way through. My first love is cross-stitch, but knitting is more portable.

LovelyLinda
03-28-2008, 11:15 AM
I learned to knit when I was a teenager but never knew how to fix dropped stitches, etc when I ran into problems so I got frustrated and gave it up. I picked it up again a few years after I was married but again ran into the same problem. About 6 months ago I took a 6 week course at my LYS and have loved it ever since.

I knit when I can but find as I'm new I have to designate time when I can concentrate on patterns so I don't make mistakes.

heatherg23
03-28-2008, 01:21 PM
Hi,

I learned to knit about a month ago. I ordered a DVD from amazon. I will have to get another one, a better one, since it didn't have much content. I wish there WERE classes to take. It would be helpful to actually SEE a person knit. There are so many questions that I need answered.

I knit every day. I started knitting to ease my stress level, which surprisingly worked. I also needed a distraction from the pain that I live in every single day plus I ALWAYS wanted to learn so I thought this would be a good time to start. I love creating things which is why I've been scrapbooking for 5 + years. I create other crafts as well.

This fits is perfectly. Right now i'm just knitting and knitting and knitting and trying not to make mistakes. I don't want to REALLY knit a pattern until I get my mistakes under control.

Happy Knitting,

Heather

wellslipmystitches
03-28-2008, 04:13 PM
Have knitted for many years - doesn't mean I did it correctly. Had a neighbor teach me the basics and then moved away -without the internet-had to figure things myself. My grandchildren now use things I knitted for my children. There is so much to learn about the art I'd need 2 more lifetimes to do it. I usually have 2 or 3 projects going at once. Don't be afraid to knit beyond what you believe to be your capabilities, it's only yarn and it's rippable and the only way to learn! So what! Not trying is the only failure. When I give a knitted gift I always tell the recipient it's unique and a little flawed, just like me. Finishing something is the pay-off. Get help you need from wherever and just do it! You go girl!!

esiuol
03-28-2008, 09:06 PM
Hello everyone,
I learned to knit in January 2007 and I knit everyday from
30 min to 1 hour. I really enjoy knitting, my Husband and 2 boys love the items that I make for them. I just have to knit something for our new addition to the family which is out yorkie.

tokmom
03-28-2008, 10:29 PM
Have knitted for many years - doesn't mean I did it correctly. Had a neighbor teach me the basics and then moved away -without the internet-had to figure things myself. My grandchildren now use things I knitted for my children. There is so much to learn about the art I'd need 2 more lifetimes to do it. I usually have 2 or 3 projects going at once. Don't be afraid to knit beyond what you believe to be your capabilities, it's only yarn and it's rippable and the only way to learn! So what! Not trying is the only failure. When I give a knitted gift I always tell the recipient it's unique and a little flawed, just like me. Finishing something is the pay-off. Get help you need from wherever and just do it! You go girl!!

I'm going to remember to tell the recipient's the same thing. I like that tip. :thumbsup:
You are so right about it only being yarn and going beyond your capabilities. I need to remember that too!! :aww:

cam90066
03-28-2008, 11:48 PM
I've been knitting and crocheting for 40+ years. Don't have recollection of anyone teaching me altho could very well be the case (the gray matter isn't as reliable as it used to be!). I try to spend some time with my sticks and string every day if for no other reason than the 'Zen' aspect. Between recycling yarn from thrift sweaters, working on charity/family/friend projects and designing/frogging my own ideas (currently a cardi that's been restarted a few times), I try to keep the creative juices flowing. They say as we get older it's good to keep challenging the brain so I try to learn and incorporate new and different techniques as I go.

cam