PDA

View Full Version : Harmony Wood vs. Denise Interchangables

Ashley13
03-26-2008, 10:47 AM
Hi Ladies~

I am sure that this has been here before, but since I am relatively new to KH, I was just looking for some opinions. I have the Pink Denise Interchangable Set. I am a completely addicted to Interchangables now and would actually love to stop using straights all together.

My birthday is coming up and I really love the look of the Harmony Wood set from Knitpicks. I was wondering who has used which interchangables systems and what their preferences are. I am no longer happy with my Boyle system...the needles are discoloring and the cables are very hard to straighten out.

What is your choice???

Ash

pcrihfield
03-26-2008, 10:58 AM
Hi Ashley,
I have both the Denise & Options Interchangables, love them both. I have several of the Harmony needle ends that can attach to the Option cables but the seams on mine don't seem to join real smooth but I use them anyway. If buying more I would go for the Options myself but I do love the color of the Harmony's.

Phyllis

Knitnack
03-26-2008, 12:29 PM
I have been using the Denise needles for more than 30 years. Just bought my second set about 3 years ago. Wouldn't use anything else unless smaller needles were required. Didn't know they made them in pink. My first set was light blue and new set is dark blue. Called them last week to replace 2 cords and received them (free) in the mail within 3 business days. Can't beat that for service! I beling to a couple of knitting groups in the Kansas City area and recommend them to all the "new" knitters. They are well worth the $50 investment...my first set cost $25 in the '70s and I just replaced them! I have been knitting for 62 years!

suecq
03-26-2008, 12:45 PM
I have used (owned) the Boye, Denise, Options and Harmony sets. I disliked the Boye because of the stiff cables. I really loved the Denise until I got thew Options and fell in love. I gave the Denise set to my Mother as I knew the resin would be better for her arthritic hands than the metal needles she used.

I got the Harmony set and love them equally as much as the Options metal set. What I really like is being able to have a wood and metal set combined in one. Yes, I have had a Harmony (size 6) needle come unglued, but 1 quick call to Knit Picks and they are sending a new set.

So my advise is to purchase the Options set and then order Harmony tips to go with the set.

Jens
03-26-2008, 12:46 PM
I have both the harmony and option sets. I like the options the best but the wood sure is pretty! I dno't really like working with wood but I didn't know that when I bought the harmonies. I still use them.
Jen

Little Audrey
03-26-2008, 03:31 PM
Yes, Harmony birch is really nice, and the options set covers most of my needs. However, different needles are really needed for different projects; e.g., I am knitting a sweater with two strands (one Lion Wool, one Lion WoolEase) and for this, needles with blunt points and lots of "grab" are essential. Except for this kind of thing, the bamboo cable needles which I have would be useless, to say nothing of the annoyance of straightening the nylon coil cables! Also, I find that knitting with craft cotton seems to require metal needles.... I have been knitting 58 years off and on. I have recently discovered that worn, overly grabby wood needles can be (somewhat) restored by a coating of well-thinned clear nail polish.

WandaT
03-27-2008, 09:16 AM
I have both the Options and Harmony tips and love them both. I am leaning more towards the Harmonys right now though. I love that there is no glare on them when I knit at night under the light. I pretty much don't use anything else anymore. I started out with the Boye set and never touch them now.

Jaxhil
03-27-2008, 06:30 PM
I have the Harmonies, Denise's and the metal Options-and seriously, I love them all :D If I were having to choose a new set I would go with the Harmonies-I LOOOOVE my harmonies and haven't used any other needles since I got them a month or so ago!

They are pretty and so comfortable to use-the tips are slightly less sharp than the metal options, which I appreciate since I tend to push the tips to remove stitches. The harmonies are much more comfortable to do that with than either the options or the Denise's.

Good luck deciding!

LovelyLinda
03-28-2008, 08:36 AM
Ok I'm a newby and I've read through alot of posts but I'm not sure which interchangable set to get. I like knitting with the Addi Turbo circular needles but recognize they are a bit blunt. So, I figure I would like the Options set as they are also metal but sharper. However, I'm wondering how the Options set compares to the Harmony wood set.

Which is more comfortable to knit with, the wood or the metal? I'd like to invest in a set but I'm not sure which one.

I also have read the various posts about people having problems with either the cable or the tips coming off during knitting. Is this a concern for people who use the interchangeable sets?

Thanks for your input and sorry if you've gone through this information before with other newbies.

Linda

suecq
03-28-2008, 09:36 AM
I have the Options metal set and the Harmony tips. As they both use the same cords you do not have to purchase both sets. Order one set and then just get the tips in your favorite sizes (or all of them) in th eother set. It is really nice to have both metal and wood tips in your interchangeable set.

Cynamar
04-03-2008, 12:26 AM
I started buying the Boye set a couple of pieces at a time. I am a newbie and don't know the difference yet. I do have a couple of circulars from Knitpicks, but not interchangeable ones and I haven't used them yet. I want a big interchangeable set. It's so hard to decide on one!

Plantgoddess+
04-03-2008, 06:20 PM
All I can comment on is the Harmonys. I too agonized over which to get and finally decided on the Harmonys mainly because I have an odd mixture of fixed metal and plastic circulars. I love the lightness of the wood tips and the sharpness of the tips. I will probably add some options later, but am now waiting for the options dpn set to arrive.
I have not yet had a tip come undone from the cable, but have only had mine for a month, but am currently using them.
I also like the more flexible cable. Some of my older circulars are so stiff, even after I straighten them with hot water. I found it tiring fighting against stiffness even when the weight of the knitting pulled down into my lap.

Crycket
04-03-2008, 06:27 PM
I have the Denise set...and it is really great....I know some have trouble with the needles twisting and dropping sts, but I have yet to experience it...

I liked the fact that the Denise set had more sizes then the Harmony set...and although I do not fly (at all) it is good to know that I could travel worry free with Denise!

Cynamar
04-03-2008, 10:46 PM
Hot water? I wondered if there was a way to straighten them. I never thought about heat as they are plastic. These curly cables are driving me crazy!

Debkcs
04-03-2008, 11:22 PM
Hi Ashley and Linda, welcome to Knitting Help.

I really appreciate the way the Denise set works. It has it's own storage kit, which is a great bonus.

The Harmony needles are pretty, and I love the colors, but my Denise kit has a lot of miles on it, with no problems.

ArtLady1981
04-04-2008, 02:41 AM
I have the Denise set, and full sets of OPTIONS Nickel and Harmony!

(I hate Denise. I use them only as cable holders sometimes.)

I love OPTIONS Nickel and Harmony equally...but if only one or the other was in the budget...my advice is: buy the Harmonys.

zkimom
04-04-2008, 03:01 AM
I have both the Denise set and a set of Harmony needles and I haven't even picked up the Denise needles since I got the Harmony set.

The biggest difference for me is in the cables. The Denise set is much fatter and less flexible. I have done Magic Loop with my Denise set but not easily. I had to be careful as the stitches were always catching on the connectors.

No issue like that with the Harmony set. Much easier to knit with, IMO.

Best of luck in what ever you choose.

LovelyLinda
04-04-2008, 07:32 AM
Thanks everyone for their input and advice. It is always appreciated, especially for those of us that are new to the knitting world.

knitncook
04-04-2008, 07:52 AM
I love the feel of wood in my hands and the KP cables are *very* flexible. They have very little memory so they stay nice and "limber." No kinks or coiling. Their points are nice and sharp so they pick up the yarn well. I was concerned with them being wood that they would split on the ends. I'm fairly hard on needles and was pleased to find that they hold up very well.

Cynamar
04-04-2008, 02:45 PM
I think you've sold me on Harmony since I can interchange with Options. Besides, I LOVE knitpicks. Have I ever mentioned that?

ArtLady1981
04-04-2008, 03:07 PM
I started buying the Boye set a couple of pieces at a time. I am a newbie and don't know the difference yet. I do have a couple of circulars from Knitpicks, but not interchangeable ones and I haven't used them yet. I want a big interchangeable set. It's so hard to decide on one!

My best friend has the Boye Needlemaster set...and she likes it just fine. They knit nicely, but they tend to un-screw themselves while she is knitting along. That's aggravating!

As I said, my first set was Denise because of what she told me about the Boye. Denise was fine, too, but the material makes some knitting stick...and the cables are too thick for fine knitting. Bulky knitting is ok.
However, that said...many knitters just love their Denise's! So, it's really just an opinion, and everyone knits with different yarns and a different hand. The judgment calls are all subjective opinions.

On a grand consensus, KP OPTIONS have a good reputation, however, they, too, have had some hard knocks! I will say sometimes I have to retreat to my good ole Addi's when the sharp tips on KP OPTIONS are getting the best of me. Some knitting I tend to push with my fingertip...other knitting not. Those sharp tips can be OUCH!

I am so happy for OPTIONS! And the prices are phenomenal! Anyone can afford them, even if only a piece at a time! I think we get the price break because we are buying straight from the Creators, don't you? No middleman.

knovice
04-04-2008, 04:13 PM
I have and love both the Options and the Harmonys. I really do like the way the metal needles let the knitting fly along... but was amazed at just how smooth the wooden Harmonys are. Really nearly as smooth as the metal.

If one could only have one set... I guess I'd go with the Harmony, since, as mentioned before, the slightly less-sharp tips won't prick your fingers if you "push off." The grippiness factor is probably the best middle-of-the-road solution, as well: you can knit slippery things like silk but also sticky wools on these. And finally, they're the ones I take when I fly, so I don't have to worry about the metal seeming "dangerous" to the TSA screeners. (I know nothing's a sure thing at the airport, but that's seemed like the best bet.)

Cynamar
04-04-2008, 04:17 PM
And they're prettiest.

outdoordrea
04-27-2008, 10:35 AM
Does the Harmony set allow for connecting the two different size cables together to form one long cable, like the Denise set?

Koehnae
04-27-2008, 01:33 PM
Does the Harmony set allow for connecting the two different size cables together to form one long cable, like the Denise set?

Unfortunately, no. I hope they consider making an adapter sometime in the near future. I would think it would be relatively easy to make something similar to the Denise connection out of metal for the Options/ Harmony.

outdoordrea
04-27-2008, 08:22 PM
Is the 32" size circular wood needle long enough to do Magic Loop knitting for mittens or socks? Has anyone used the Harmony's to this?

Cynamar
04-28-2008, 12:38 AM
In my Magic Loop thread one or two said that's long enough. I think I'm gonna try with 40" just to be safe.

Newbie2Knitting
04-28-2008, 09:08 AM
All I have are the Denise. I've been wanting to get some KH interchangeables (either the Options or Harmony is fine w/me ;)) but haven't made the leap. I just can't justify it in my mind when my Denise are so much more variable as far as cable length.

outdoordrea
04-28-2008, 11:46 AM
Newbie2Knitting, I'm in the same boat as you. I really like the idea of the Harmony needles, and the thinner cables specifically, but the expense of them, and now the fact that they aren't connectable, makes them not as enticing.

I recently became a fan of Magic Loop knitting (as opposed to dpns) because I'm able to reduce the laddering effect, but the cables on the Denise set make it that much harder.

Knit4Pie
04-28-2008, 11:54 AM
I just got my Options Harmony and they're great! Well, I actually got them last week but had to finish a project first. I wanted to try them out on a new project.

I will be keeping my Denise set, because it's great too, and there are more cable length options included, but the Harmony set is a much smoother knit and I like the cable size and flexibility a bit more.

outdoordrea
04-29-2008, 06:42 PM
I just got my Options Harmony and they're great! Well, I actually got them last week but had to finish a project first. I wanted to try them out on a new project.

I will be keeping my Denise set, because it's great too, and there are more cable length options included, but the Harmony set is a much smoother knit and I like the cable size and flexibility a bit more.
Knit4Pie, would you say that the Harmony needles "grab" the yarn in a similar way to the Denise? I like the Denise so much more than the metal circulars I have, but I like the way my bamboo dpns grab even more.

Knit4Pie
04-29-2008, 09:26 PM
Knit4Pie, would you say that the Harmony needles "grab" the yarn in a similar way to the Denise? I like the Denise so much more than the metal circulars I have, but I like the way my bamboo dpns grab even more.

The Harmony needles grab the yarn more than the Denise, although the Denise aren't as bad as metal. I can't say that I've ever had trouble with the Denise, but I was careful to start with because before I was using alum. I definitely notice a difference with the Harmony, and even after less than a week of using them, I can tell I don't think about where the sts are already.

knitasha
04-29-2008, 09:59 PM
Seems to me we are incredibly lucky to be knitting at a time when one of the biggest "problems" is deciding which of many excellent needles to buy.

I keep some of my mother's needles from the '40s for sentimental reasons but I wouldn't want to knit with them. The cold steel straights with the rivets on top make my hands hurt just to look at them; the few circs in her collection have stiff wire coils connected to the tips with primitive joins that must have caught on the wool with every stitch. Yet she happily turned out dozens of beautiful sweaters with them, and so did all her friends at Rhoda's Knitting Shoppe. At least they didn't have to make their own with sharpened bicycle spokes the way some Peruvian knitters still do!

How she would have enjoyed Denise, Options, Harmony and a handful of Addis. What great Mother's Day presents any of them would make.

Cynamar
04-30-2008, 03:45 PM
I think that I've ofund that I don't like aluminum needles.

Quiltlady
05-02-2008, 08:38 AM
I used my Denise set for a whole year and loved them. Then I saw the KP's Harmony set and ordered those. I thought I loved them even more. But after using them for six months I am back to my Denise.
The Harmony look beautiful and I love how pointy the tips are. BUT I am tired of having to tighten the needles all the time plus often my knitting slides right off them since they are so slippery. A few of the cords where it meets up to the metal part just before the needle are not smooth either. :aww:
So I got out my Denise set and I have to say that I am much happier with them. I admit their cords are not as thin and their points not as pointy but I like the grip of the needles on the yarn and I the needles do NOT come off.:knitting:
I'm sure I'll use my Harmony in the future..but just not sure when.