PDA

View Full Version : Working with Cotton Yarn

bgirl
03-26-2008, 10:59 AM
I've tried knitting a couple of different sweaters/vests with some 100% cotton worsted weight yarn and keep ripping everything out. I'm finding it really hard to work with. Does anyone have any suggestions? Different needles maybe?

Jan in CA
03-26-2008, 11:04 AM
Cotton yarn is rather hard to work with isn't it. Except for a few types there is usually no stretch to it so it's kind of hard on your hands and it doesn't slide nicely over some needles. You might try using a different needle...if you're using bamboo try metal or vice versa.

You aren't alone, it's a common problem.

suzeeq
03-26-2008, 12:12 PM
I've made a couple of tops with the kitchen type cotton. What helps is to use a larger needle than usual with them, like a size 10. It's easier to work with at a larger gauge and keeps the item from being too heavy. For a pattern that calls for using a size 7 or 8, follow a smaller size to get it to fit. Metal needles work better I think because it can grab onto wood ones and keeps it from sliding.

bgirl
03-26-2008, 01:37 PM
Thanks. I am using metal needles and I've tried to use bigger needles and I guess it does help a bit. I guess I just don't like that it isn't very forgiving! :)

I saw that WEBs was having a huge Rowan grab bag sale and I quickly went to sign up, but then I saw that it was mostly for cotton yarn and I haven't been happy working with cotton so I opted not to buy a bag. However, I went in to check a while later and they were sold out. That's when I thought that maybe I've been missing something.

bgirl
03-26-2008, 01:38 PM
Thanks. That was my feeling- that there wasn't any stretch & it wasn't forgiving (It was actually humbling trying to get perfectly even stitches!!). Wasn't sure if it was just me or not.

suzeeq
03-26-2008, 02:08 PM
Hardly anyone gets perfectly even stitches as they're knitting. That's what blocking and/or washing are for - they even out the sts very very well. So don't worry what it looks like as you go along, it'll look better when you're finished. Try knitting up a largish sample, then wash/wet it and let it dry flat. See how much difference it makes.

cdjack
03-26-2008, 02:12 PM
I found that cotton yarn mixed with a little wool is great to work with.
It gives the cotton a bit of stretch and is less splitty. Knit Picks makes a great cotton/merino yarn. Lamb's Pride cotton fleece is great as well.

suzeeq
03-26-2008, 02:42 PM
Cotton/acrylic blends are nice too.

lelvsdgs
03-26-2008, 07:20 PM
I have a lot of trouble with cotton as well. Most I can handle are dish cloths. But I do like the blends. They are much easier to work with and much easier on the hands. I think you just have to try a few types to get what is good for you. I like both the cotton/wool and cotton/acrylics. And perfectly even stitches... never accomplished that with out washing and blocking!

anniep
03-26-2008, 09:36 PM
I can't offer any help.... but I do feel your pain! I knitted a beanie in cotton. BAD idea. It was so stiff to work with.

Good luck!

Cynamar
03-28-2008, 01:46 AM
I found some very cute cotton yarn when I very first started knitting and then found more colors of it online and bought some. My daughter especially loved one color and wanted a scarf so I made it--first thing I finished. I really did not like knitting the cotton and the wool felt soooooo good after that!

momwolf
03-28-2008, 07:36 AM
I just did this baby shrug out of Peaches & Cream and didn't have trouble with knitting but I was just disappointed that it wasn't very soft even after washing:nails: Won't use it again.:!!!:

suzeeq
03-28-2008, 10:16 AM
I've found that it takes several washing for PnCream to soften, but it does.

debb
03-29-2008, 12:33 AM
I use my Denise's for cotton yarn - for whatever reason, they work really well for me, even cotton chenille is okay.

boo1
03-29-2008, 09:30 AM
but when I do use cotton, it's always on metal needles (addi fan here!)

Indygirl
03-29-2008, 10:06 AM
I just did this baby shrug out of Peaches & Cream and didn't have trouble with knitting but I was just disappointed that it wasn't very soft even after washing:nails: Won't use it again.:!!!:
Very sweet baby sweater. Nice job even if it was a pain to work with :wink:

Cynamar
03-29-2008, 12:51 PM
The baby sweater is very sweet. It's Peaches & Cream that I have. I had bought a couple of small balls and then ordered three big cones online. Wonder if it would make a good doggie sweater.

GinnyG
03-29-2008, 01:23 PM
Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece is a LOVEY cotton with just a touch of wool for character. I don't have any difficulty with it at all.

Alyce
03-29-2008, 01:43 PM
When I started knitting again (after a 30yr hiatus) I was knitting dishrags and always used Peaches n Cream. I suppose since I hadn't tried anything else I didn't have a problem with it. In fact, I did two baby afghans for my twin granddaughters and they softened right up and are holding up really well for 8yrs now.
I have since broadened my horizons and am using wool blends and even bamboo.:woohoo:

scmomof4
03-29-2008, 06:48 PM
I have found that some good old fashioned Downy fabric softener helps my 100% cotton to feel a whole lot better.

My favorite cotton blend (so far) is Berocco's cotton twist. It is a rayon cotton blend and it feels good while knitting and has a nice shine. My DDs have enjoyed tanks I have knitted for them.

bgirl
03-31-2008, 10:00 AM
Bamboo is SOOOO nice!! I love how it feels!

Cynamar
03-31-2008, 12:19 PM
I'm dying to try bamboo!

KnittinMitchie
03-31-2008, 01:05 PM
I have one pair of US 8/5mm bamboo and OMG I love them. They are the Clover Takumi 16" circulars. As to the cotton yarn I like knitting with cotton but most of my stuff is purses and dish cloths. I live in Texas and its already 85* lat March/Early April so cotton is nice to work with when is hot.

gotta knit
03-31-2008, 02:31 PM
Just bought some cheap cotton for dishcloths, hoping to do something while flying soon. Started one just so they believe I really can knit at security, and am loving it! Maybe it's the cheap plastic needles I bought too???

marlajap
03-31-2008, 04:00 PM
Between the cottons, cotton blends and cotton-like yarns I have gotten over the last couple of months, it seems like about all that I do now - knit with cotton...although it is a little bit grabby on my KP Harmony set, it's not intolerable, unless my hands become damp for some reason (like I didn't dry them well enough and then pick up the knitting - UGH!).

More on my cotton-fest in a separate post! :)

suzeeq
03-31-2008, 08:04 PM
I'm dying to try bamboo!

Bamboo yarn or needles? I have a few needles, they're nice. Would like to try the yarn too...

Plantgoddess+
03-31-2008, 08:19 PM
I am working with Ornaghi Filati bamboo yarn. It's a fingering weight. I started a sock with it but it feels so slippery that I didn't think it would stay up so now I have cast on for a scarf http://www.knitty.com/issuespring05/PATTbranchingout.html . I'm about 2' into it and I'm liking it real well. It remains to be seen how it will block and show the pattern. I do like working with it though, it just flows through the fingers and is soooo soft.

hwn222
03-31-2008, 10:37 PM
I have a similar question because I've been thinking about making the pattern below but have some concerns about using the 100% cotton. Maybe someone's made this sweater already? It will be my first adult-sized sweater and I don't want to get frustrated (at least not with the yarn itself... I'm sure it will be a little challenging in other ways for me, which is just fine!). Would it still work with the wash/shrink with a cotton/wool blend?

http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring06/PATTjamesey.html

tokmom
04-01-2008, 01:33 AM

Your shrug is adorable! I hope it softens up as one poster said it probably would.

suzeeq
04-01-2008, 09:56 AM
I have a similar question because I've been thinking about making the pattern below but have some concerns about using the 100% cotton. Maybe someone's made this sweater already? It will be my first adult-sized sweater and I don't want to get frustrated (at least not with the yarn itself... I'm sure it will be a little challenging in other ways for me, which is just fine!). Would it still work with the wash/shrink with a cotton/wool blend?

http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring06/PATTjamesey.html

I don't know how that cotton behaves, nor a cotton/wool blend. But a cotton/acrylic blend such as Lion's Cottonease (there's others too) shouldn't have a problem with shrinking or growing.

Luvmyrottnboy
04-01-2008, 10:07 AM
I have 2 words for you:

King Tut

The most lovely cotton yarn. The colors are absolutely gorgeous, it has a beautiful sheen and it is easy on the hands.

LOVE it and I own a TON of it:inlove:

Cynamar
04-02-2008, 01:22 AM
Bamboo yarn! I would love some bamboo needles, but am fascinated with bamboo yarn.

KnittinMitchie
04-02-2008, 02:39 PM
Knit Picks has a new yarn called Comfy (http://knitpicks.com/Comfy+Yarn_YD5420171.html) and I REALLY want to try it. The yarn is 75% cotton/25% acrylic yarn $2.79/skein. It comes in some really nice colors. I have my eye on Fedora.

lactosefree
04-03-2008, 12:54 AM
Knit Picks has a new yarn called Comfy (http://knitpicks.com/Comfy+Yarn_YD5420171.html) and I REALLY want to try it. The yarn is 75% cotton/25% acrylic yarn $2.79/skein.

I ordered 35 skeins of the Comfy a few days ago to make the Burridge Lake Aran Afghan (http://magknits.com/Oct07/patterns/burridge.htm) for my cousin's wedding present.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll like the yarn and that it will be suitable for the afghan.

Spikey
04-03-2008, 10:54 AM
That afghan is stunning! What color are you using? Please post progress pics. Your cousin is very lucky!

KnittinMitchie
04-03-2008, 02:16 PM
That is a B E A Utiful afghan. I cant wait to see it when your done. That would take me forever to knit

Cynamar
04-03-2008, 10:41 PM
That is a beautiful afghan. Comfy comes in gorgeous colors. How to decide between them?

lactosefree
04-04-2008, 02:40 AM
The comfy yarn came in the mail today! :)

I'm making the afghan with the Ivory color. It's more of a cream color than a white.

Upon first inspection, the yarn seems a bit linty to me. In my experience pima cotton in general tends to be 'mushy' for a lack of a better word and tends to get fuzzy.

This does indeed make the yarn very comfy, but at the same time I'm hoping the afghan doesn't end up covered in a hue of fuzz when I'm done. I'm crossing my fingers that the little bit of acrylic in it will give the yarn a bit more structure and cut down on the lint.

To be honest, one of my main reasons for purchasing this particular yarn was that it's machine washable - very important not only for a present, but also for an afghan this size - and economical at under $3 a skein.

I haven't knit with it yet, but I will post an update when I start.

suzeeq
04-04-2008, 09:15 AM
The `lint' or fuzz will probably shed if you wash it after you're done.