PDA

View Full Version : Free Yarn?!

rainbowdiva
03-26-2008, 03:57 PM
Hello everyone! I am a young woman who loves to knit and crochet. As much as I enjoy it, I am a single mother who does not always have the extra money to buy the supplies that I would like to continue my hobbie! If anyone has any suggestions or ideas about where I could receive some supplies of yarn feel free to send me a PM. Thank you so much! -Rainbowdiva

Rabbitrescuer
03-26-2008, 04:02 PM
You can try places like Freecycle & Craigslist. Also sometimes you can find supplies at thrift stores ie: GoodWill, Salvation Army, etc. You can find Fun fur type yarn at most $$Stores & Big Lots has yarn for cheap too. I have gotten Lion Brand Suede at Big Lots for $1.50/ skein & Patons Lacette for $1.00/ skein. Hope this helps

Becky Morgan
03-26-2008, 08:18 PM
And don't forget word of mouth. Mention that you want/need yarn. Sooner or later, somebody will bring you a garbage bag full of Grandma's stash when they clean out her house. If you have a local "trader" paper that offers free ads, put one in--yarn wanted, any kind. Some newspapers even offer free classifieds.

I strongly second the idea of Goodwill. I've bought as much as a giant comforter bag of yarn, almost all full skeins, for $9.99. They often have pattern books for less than a dollar, too (most of the folders and old Workbaskets are 29 cents!)

Goodwill has an online auction site:
http://www.shopgoodwill.com/
It probably won't be worth much unless the auctioning store is near you, but it's fun to look around!

suzeeq
03-26-2008, 08:18 PM
Big Lots has quite a lot of Lion yarns for $1.50 each right now, and some RH there too. I picked up some laceweight wool (I think) and some mohairy type acrylic yarn for $.25 each last week (they should have been twice that, but maybe the cashier remembered the price wrong. They also had quite a lot of other acrylics too priced under $1.

ETA: the 25 cents each yarn was at the thrift store, not Big Lots, sorry.

scmomof4
03-26-2008, 10:58 PM
There is also the option to find nice sweaters at thrift stores and to recycle that yarn (http://www.az.com/~andrade/knit/thrifty.html). Be warned, though, the process can become addictive. :D