PDA

View Full Version : SAVE THE CHILDREN - Brits hit half million mark & then some! Pix

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

momwolf
04-19-2008, 10:11 PM
She's on her way there now:blooby::blooby::blooby:

Limey
04-20-2008, 06:03 AM
Mornin' Knitters and Knutters

I'm contacting Save the Children tomorrow (Mon) to find out when the appeal closes.

Rita has raised a couple of very good points and wants me to ask if each hat should have a Gordon Brown label on it (I suppose they would like that) and has pointed out that if we print off the cards as they are, they could quickly get through your print cartridge if you happen to be a Turbo Knitter. :knitting::knitting::knitting::knitting::knitting:

What might be an idea if you're sending off a few hats at once is to print out one card in colour and the rest in black and white.

Printing Note: If you want to print out your page in black/white rather than colour - download the pdf form to your computer. Hit Print and then go into Properties - there should be something there called Greyscale -click on that and then click on Black Ink.

If anyone would like any further info. or has questions, please just post here today.

MANY THANKS FOR NOT ONLY YOUR KIND HELP WITH THE APPEAL BUT FOR BEING A GREAT BUNCH OF KNUTTERS WITH A SENSE OF HUMOUR TO MATCH! :roflhard:

I've really enjoyed the daft chaff and banter we've been having.

Warmest Wishes

ritaw
04-20-2008, 12:45 PM
Here ya go !!!
A couple more hats finished and a little dress i finished for my little niece :)

Nikkilc
04-20-2008, 01:41 PM
thats dress is so beautiful :inlove:
and those hats so cute

Limey
04-20-2008, 02:04 PM
Hiya Rita

That dress is so cute and very lovely, little girl colours.

It's a brilliant idea and I love the fabric you've chosen as well.

The hats are lovely too and look very warm and snuggly.

Thanks so much for all your kind help again.

Ellie

Cynamar
04-20-2008, 02:54 PM
More adorable hats! Do you ever stop?! The dress is pretty. She will be sweet in it.

DQ
04-20-2008, 03:48 PM

How did you make out at the doctor's? How's you shoulder doing?

I've been referred for physiotherapy, the next appointment I can get to is the middle of May. She didn't give me anything for the pain, just told me to continue with painkiller which I had already said aren't working :help: I will go to the Pharmacist this week and see if they have anything to help.

I'm going to try and carry on with my knitting, it helps to have a distraction.

Nikkilc
04-20-2008, 04:32 PM
alternating heat and cold will help the muscles relax

if you have a wheat bag use that or a hot waterbottle wrapped in a towel and a bag of frozen peas or sweetcorn it molds to the skin better just make sure to wrap in a towel too.
if you do knit take a break every 15 mins and then take a break walk around or just change postion.

so sorry you have to wait till may to see a physio

bajanKnit
04-21-2008, 01:28 AM
Here ya go !!!
A couple more hats finished and a little dress i finished for my little niece :)
Beautiful works as always!Very sweet hats and adorable dress!

ritaw
04-21-2008, 02:42 AM
Jen , I hope they can sort it out . You must feel so down hun,
keep your spirits up and if you are still in pain then insist on something stronger to take for it . Do not be fobbed off.

Limey
04-21-2008, 04:03 AM
Hiya Jen

I'm really sorry your shoulder is giving you so much grief.

I had that trapped Ulna nerve in my neck and ended up waiting for physio for ages.

I was going to the physio for quite a time and she found that the thing which reduced the pain most for me was a TENS machine. It was better than traction and massage.

I still use it when the pain comes on (too much knitting and computer stuff!). Boots were advertising them a few days ago on TV and theirs cost around 14.00.

The physio ordered mine from the company which makes them and I didn't have to pay VAT because the condition, cervical spondilytis, is chronic - in other words, I'm falling to bits. I try not to do this outside because I'd get busted for littering.:teehee:

It's certainly worth trying them because at least, they prevent you from having to be stuffed to the gunwhales with painkillers.

Give me a shout if you want any more info.

Hope the pain goes away very soon.:hug:

DQ
04-21-2008, 05:00 AM
Thank you everyone for the suggestions and support :hug::hug::hug:

Limey
04-21-2008, 05:12 AM
Hiya Folks

I've just phoned Save the Children and have put the information about the appeal, how long it's running and label details on page 1 of this post.

The lady I spoke to at Save the Children was absolutely delighted that knitters up and down the UK, as well as those overseas, were helping with the appeal.

She is informing the appeal organisers to tell them about our thread on KH and said they always welcome information about how donations are organised.

I have given her warning though that the appeal organisers might think we need committing when they read the posts on here!

Thank you all so much for your kind help and please, do keep the hats (and the daft banter) coming.

Twenty thousand hats have already been donated but many more are needed.

I'm also contacting Amy and Sheldon to say THANK YOU on behalf of us all.

Warmest Wishes

Ellie :hug:

momwolf
04-21-2008, 07:42 AM
Ellie was telling me her finger hurt when she was sewing her hats together so I sent her a picture of the needle we use over here in the US.It's curved and has a blunt tip on it so it doesn't poke your finger.The curve is nice for picking up stitches for seaming. Most of the yarn web sites you order yarn from have them under notions.You get 2 for around $3.00.I wouldn't so a seam without one of these needles.Just thought I'd share so you poor overseas knitters don't have sore fingers:teehee:

momwolf
04-21-2008, 07:44 AM
DQ,Hope your shoulder gets better!!

ritaw
04-21-2008, 08:58 AM
Thanks Julie . That needle looks like it can save our poor sore fingers . :)

Limey
04-21-2008, 09:57 AM
Hiya Julie

Thanks very much for posting that picture and for thinking of us poor, overseas knitters - oo, little orphans of the storm, we are!:teehee:

My fingers were sore because I'd spent the whole weekend seaming an Aran cardigan for a two-year-old and I hate to think what my fingers would have been like if I'd seamed an adult cardi:waah:

I'm putting a couple of links here where the needles - we call them Packing or Sack needles over here - can be bought.

http://www.sewandso.co.uk/ran749-0.html

The needle is with the Repair Kit but I've also noticed some plastic needles on there, which are supposed to be especially for seaming.

Another link here, but it's the same deal as Sew and So with the metal needle

http://www.sewessential.co.uk/Category.asp?CategoryID=712&NumPerPage=5&Page=1

I've also found some on ebay, made by Clover

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CLOVER-CHIBI-JUMBO-DARNING-SEWING-KNITTING-NEEDLE-SET_W0QQitemZ320216795009QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3 286.c81.m20.l1116

Hmm - there's two metal ones in a screw cap case - 4.25 a pop - with postage 5 - think I'll pass on those.

Thanks very much again, Julie - good of you!

Best Wishes

Ellie

Limey
04-21-2008, 10:05 AM
Hats gone ....

Sent off my first batch of hats to Save the Children this morning - seven hats in total - and no, I've not turned into some kind of Turbo or Demon knitter .... fact is, I found two more little, pink hats in my 'hospital' stash, so I put those in as well.

I'm so glad that the appeal is running for a while yet because it gives me a chance to knit some more as I ain't the world's fastest knitter by any means.

I started another Mock Turtle - oops - Mock Cable hat last night and am using DK yarn. The one I knitted before was in Toddler Aran and was quite thick but very light.

Thank you all again, so much, for all your time and effort you give to this appeal. :hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

ritaw
04-22-2008, 02:32 AM
Hi everyone .
I hope everyone is well. Especially you Jen :muah:
Here is another offering . I will be posting some hats out today too as they are mounting up lol

Cynamar
04-22-2008, 02:40 AM
Another great hat! You are a mean, green, knitting machine.

DQ
04-22-2008, 04:44 AM
Another great hat! You are a mean, green, knitting machine.

She certainly is! I'm thinking of kidnapping her so she can finish off all my WIPs! :twisted:

ritaw
04-22-2008, 09:24 AM
She certainly is! I'm thinking of kidnapping her so she can finish off all my WIPs! :twisted:

LOL I am going to lock myself up somewhere where you can't find me Jen:rofl:
Thanks for the compliment guys :hug:

On another note i phoned Limey today and she is under the weather . It was a brief call as she was not up to talking. She was going to go to bed .
Thought i would let you all know incase she is not on the forum .

Get better soon Ellie :hug:

bajanKnit
04-22-2008, 10:23 AM
JUst wanted to let you guys know I am still here have been having some horrid headaches for the last few days so just looking at pc sreen makes it worse. :( Nice hat Rita How's everyone doing? Hope you feel better Jen!

:( :(
Alicia

ritaw
04-22-2008, 11:56 AM
JUst wanted to let you guys know I am still here have been having some horrid headaches for the last few days so just looking at pc sreen makes it worse. :( Nice hat Rita How's everyone doing? Hope you feel better Jen!

:( :(
Alicia
Thanks Alicia :)
Sorry to hear that you are also not feeling to good. :hug:
Just rest and relax.
What is happenning to everyone . You are all dropping like flies .
I wish Ellie , Alicia and Jen a speedy recovery from your ailments .
Here is a big :hug: and:muah: for you all:grphug:

DQ
04-22-2008, 01:05 PM
Thanks everyone. I've given up on painkillers for now and am using distraction instead until I get to the Pharmacist on Thursday. I've cast on another hat so that and all my other WIPs will keep me busy.

:hug::hug: for Ellie and Alicia

Nikkilc
04-22-2008, 01:14 PM
so sorry ur both feeling unwell Ellie and Alicia:hug:

haven't had a chance to knit a hat today been crazy round here
got a day off tomorrow will do some then

Cynamar
04-22-2008, 11:24 PM
I've had a bad jaw-ache today. I have a cracked jawtooth and no insurance but I do have a job interview tomorrow so maybe I'll have insurance again real soon. Everyone please say a prayer or cross your fingers or whatever you do! I need to work again.

momwolf
04-23-2008, 01:21 AM
Jeeze I leave for a day and everyone gets sick:noway: My computer has been on the fritz all day.By the time I got it fixed it was time to go to work.Just got home and logged on and everyone is http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15/15_6_4.gif
Everybodyhttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/304v.gif
Cynamar-Good luck on job interview:cheering:

Here are 3 more hats

Cynamar
04-23-2008, 01:23 AM
Thanks! Love the hats. Great job!!!

ritaw
04-23-2008, 01:58 AM
I've had a bad jaw-ache today. I have a cracked jawtooth and no insurance but I do have a job interview tomorrow so maybe I'll have insurance again real soon. Everyone please say a prayer or cross your fingers or whatever you do! I need to work again.
Yikes :hug: . Must be painful fo you .
I hope the interview goes well. Good luck :heart:

Julie ! Lovely hats . That dark one is lovely . I really like the colourway.

I hope everyone is feeling a little better today :hug:

Nikkilc
04-23-2008, 05:10 AM
Cyndi good luck sending you some positive thoughts and good luck wishes :hug: Crossed Fingers

i wasn't sick just busy yesterday.

I am going to be slowing down on the hats for a little bit as i have 2 blankets on the way to be knitted too and i am drafting lullaby land blanket its a bit special so needs a bit of planning.
have ordered the yarn already lol
i promise to still try and get 1 hat done every 2 days
hope everyone is feeling a bit better and has a good day :muah: :hug:

ps ritaw do you happen to know of any good fabric shops in London not to expensive but a nice range i am making my daughter her college prom dress and after something in a satin type fabric. any help great fully received.
and yes ladies i do sleep, hides the needles and wool next to my pillow lol

ritaw
04-23-2008, 07:38 AM
Cyndi good luck sending you some positive thoughts and good luck wishes :hug: Crossed Fingers

i wasn't sick just busy yesterday.

I am going to be slowing down on the hats for a little bit as i have 2 blankets on the way to be knitted too and i am drafting lullaby land blanket its a bit special so needs a bit of planning.
have ordered the yarn already lol
i promise to still try and get 1 hat done every 2 days
hope everyone is feeling a bit better and has a good day :muah: :hug:

ps ritaw do you happen to know of any good fabric shops in London not to expensive but a nice range i am making my daughter her college prom dress and after something in a satin type fabric. any help great fully received.
and yes ladies i do sleep, hides the needles and wool next to my pillow lol
Hi ,
To be honest , i do not normally buy fabric. I got the fabric for the little dress from the market in Enfield .
There are normally fabric stalls in most markets and they offer great deals .
I am sure though places like John Lewis do it . Otherwise you may have to have a look in the yellow pages or the internet .
I am sorry i could not be of more help hun.
The blankets should keep you real busy . I like making blankets . :-P

Limey
04-23-2008, 08:47 AM
Creak, Squeak, Scrape, Rattle ....... Groan ... Moan .....

Thanks very much for minding the shop Rita and for your phone call. What is that stitch you've done on the lovely hat you just posted? - it's really nice and very effective. Is it a type of seed stitch?

I've been laid up with the rheumatic lurgy that lurks around the back door two or three times a year (I think one of the cats must bring it in, or something) and they've been slow delivering the tanker carrying my fish oil (can't get the staff these days).

Alicia, I hope those headaches clear up fast - they sound like very heavy duty ones - wince!

Cyndi, All the Best for your interview, we'll be thinking of you and I hope you can get that tooth fettled very soon. No joke when that happens.

Nikki - You should be ashamed of yourself, only starting a hat every two days!! :teehee: Couldn't you knit in your :sleepy: sleep or something - tut, really!

I love those hats, Julie, they're absolutely gorgeous and if you carry on at this rate, the postman's going to give himself a hernia :rofl: Hope you're feeling better too - and that the aches and pains have gone.

Jen - I wish they could sort out that shoulder for you. Doesn't sound like fun at all. What do you mean? Distraction Techniques? Knowing you, I don't like the sound of that at all - not one bit - I live too close to you and could end up in the fall-out from your Techniques thingies, whatsits - what do the neighbours make of it?

Whatever it is you're using for distraction - take it easy, coz house prices are on the slide!

Hmm - Let's see - Alicia, Cyndi, Jen, Julie and me - five wounded but still turning out hats!

I suggest that next time one of the wounded leave the house, to try a favourite remedy - a box or bar of chocolate or whatever rings your bell. It's amazing how it bucks me up. Did you know that unpeeling the wrapper on dark chocolate and just sniffing the choc does something to your Dopamine levels? - supposed to help you cheer up. :mmm::mmm::mmm::mmm::mmm::mmm::mmm::mmm:

Can anyone unwrap a chocolate bar, sniff and then put it away? Nah! Thought not! Where do these experts come up with these counsels of perfection?:angelgrin:

Hope everyone will be feeling better very soon and thank you for all your kind help.

I had a PM from Amy yesterday, saying she was very happy to know about the appeal and the daft laughs we get from each other.

Yours, heading for the Pick n Mix in Woolies!

Ellie

ritaw
04-23-2008, 08:55 AM
Creak, Squeak, Scrape, Rattle ....... Groan ... Moan .....

Thanks very much for minding the shop Rita and for your phone call. What is that stitch you've done on the lovely hat you just posted? - it's really nice and very effective. Is it a type of seed stitch?

Ellie

Glad to see that you are and about my friend . :hug:
The hat is indeed seedstitch . I really quite liked doing it too.
Glad you like it .

Cynamar
04-23-2008, 10:22 AM
Thank you everyone! I appreciate the good thoughts and prayers. Today I have a splinter! I can't find tweezers. I have no idea where it came from.

DQ
04-23-2008, 10:59 AM
:teehee::teehee::teehee:

Distraction technique just means that I'm trying to keep my mind occupied with other things to stop focusing on my shoulder. I don't think it's causing too much bother BUT the neighbours have had the odd job men in for the past couple of days and seem to be doing their house up...maybe they are fed up with me enough to sell and go! :passedout:

As for the chocolate...I did have a chocolate muffin last night cloud9 McDonalds chocolate muffins are just as good as any you can get from a bakery! Hubby went out specially to get me one :heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

Cyndi, have you tried using scissors? Just get a grip in the splinter very gently so you don't cut it in half!

Cynamar
04-23-2008, 11:03 AM
I'll try that after I look for the tweezers more. I know we have some because Julianne used them to yank a renegade eyebrow hair out of me a couple of weeks ago. I'll bet they're in her room! That's where missing makeup turns up.

bajanKnit
04-23-2008, 11:06 AM
:grphug: Thanks everyone for your kind words and prays! :grphug: I pray everyone else is feeling much much better! :)

Here are 2 hats I manage to do with my eyes close seriously I :X: these almost without seeing them. Hope they look alright.

This is the inspiration for the 1st one
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj209/bajanknit/flag.jpg my country's flag.
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj209/bajanknit/Picture172-1.jpg

Here is the second one
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj209/bajanknit/Picture135.jpg

Best wishes for everyone

:) :) :)
Alicia

Cynamar
04-23-2008, 11:12 AM
Found the tweezers! With my favorite eyeliner in basket in J's room. Splinter is gone.

Limey
04-23-2008, 02:33 PM
Wowers, Alicia! Now we've got somebody actually knitting with her eyes shut!

I thought Nikki had a neat trick going, knitting in the cinema and now this!

I love the yellow you've used on the hat - both hats are lovely.

Cyndi, glad you got the splinter sorted - I'd have words with your housemate - making off with the tweezers and any other useful implement and not putting them back where they belong, is usually typical of the male of the species! Well, the sort of species I've come across, anyway.:teehee:

Jen,

I wouldn't worry too much about the next door neighbours, they're probably just building defence works. They probably didn't want to leave home - sometimes that happens when whole streets have to be evacuated - there's always one family who stays put, no matter what the prevailing conditions dictate.

I'd come by and visit you but probably your street has been sealed off by now - it's wise to take every precaution when people are indulging in Scouse Distracting Techniques - and besides, I've mislaid my hard hat again - dunno how many times I try and remind myself to put things back where I found them.

Ellie

Nikkilc
04-23-2008, 03:04 PM
well i dont knit in my sleep but i do suffer from really bad insomnia and if my back is playing up no sleep, so helps to have something to do in the wee hours. heck i got it in my will when i die i want needles and yarn in the coffin hehehe.
if i come down stairs the dogs want out of there crate and want to play and my dogs have yet to learn how to play quietly and i refuse to have a tv upstairs, ok admits i used to have one but kids borrowed it lol

next time u get a splinter try sellotape its supposed to be better then tweezers
hangs head i haven't yet knitted today at all

Limey
04-23-2008, 05:13 PM
Hi Nikki

Sorry to hear that you don't sleep too well ... my hubby has bad bouts of insomnia too - it can get really miserable being awake for most of the night. For some reason, you always feel as if you're the only person on the planet with their eyes open.

I was thinking of our speed Divas earlier tonight and came across this

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ykFdl7qi6FU&NR=1

Are any of you in that video? I wouldn't be at all surprised because of the speed you're turning out all these lovely hats.

Best Wishes and thanks again for all your time and effort.

Ellie

Cynamar
04-23-2008, 05:33 PM
Thank you! Limey-my housemate, Julianne, is my teenaged daughter. I don't mind sharing most things as long as I know where to find them! The eyeliner, though, was an expensive Lancome one and looked good on both of us as our eyes are the same color. She borrowed and lost it and I got a new one. She found the old one and got to keep it. It's a bit "nice" for 14 years old! The interview went real, real well! YAY! I had to take a critical thinking test and blew it away in less than ten minutes. I go back early Friday for more tests and another interview. One of the other tests is math and language and is timed but sounds easy. The other is a personality test. A shrink will evaluate it for them. I wonder how worried I should be??????

Nikkilc
04-23-2008, 05:39 PM
i so wish i could knit that fast
my mum can she was raised knitting cottage style i cant do it very fast.
its amazing i can knit at all you see i am dyspraxic and also dyslexic hence lots of typos.

so sorry your hubby gets it too its a pain in the rear sometimes, its a lot better then it used to be from my mid teens to my mid twenty i could live on just 2 hrs sleep every two days. not fun would be so bad it was pill time and i hate how i feel on the pills so now drug free and try to avoid caffeine late in the evening

Cynamar good luck for friday and dont worry just dont pull ur knitting out while doing the test they might start to worry.

and Limey no i haven't yet done it so :-P
i only knit in car while waiting for kids from all activities when trying to sleep/notsleep, in cinemas, in dentists waiting room, doctors waiting room, anywhere i arrive early , pubs and restaurants ummm ok maybe would be easyer to list where i dont lol
i dont keep bags of knitting in car next to bed in front room kitchen lol oh dear i think i might need help lol

also i dont keep note pads and pens next to bed incase i get ideas too lol

Limey
04-24-2008, 05:00 AM
Cyndi said:"I go back early Friday for more tests and another interview. One of the other tests is math and language and is timed but sounds easy. The other is a personality test. A shrink will evaluate it for them. I wonder how worried I should be??????

oo - er

For goodness sake, Cyndi, don't let that shrink even get an inkling of this post because he/she will have us all knitting on the Funny Farm before you can say 'yarn'.:knitting::knitting::knitting::knitting::kn itting::knitting::knitting::knitting:
If they do get to know to know about your knitting and knutty mates, then

Be worried .........be very worried ......... :teehee:

We'll all keep ourCrossed Fingersfor you and wish you Good Luck for the interview. Go get 'em tiger !

Limey
04-24-2008, 05:17 AM
i so wish i could knit that fast
my mum can she was raised knitting cottage style i cant do it very fast.
its amazing i can knit at all you see i am dyspraxic and also dyslexic hence lots of typos.

so sorry your hubby gets it too its a pain in the rear sometimes, its a lot better then it used to be from my mid teens to my mid twenty i could live on just 2 hrs sleep every two days. not fun would be so bad it was pill time and i hate how i feel on the pills so now drug free and try to avoid caffeine late in the evening

Cynamar good luck for friday and dont worry just dont pull ur knitting out while doing the test they might start to worry.

and Limey no i haven't yet done it so :-P
i only knit in car while waiting for kids from all activities when trying to sleep/notsleep, in cinemas, in dentists waiting room, doctors waiting room, anywhere i arrive early , pubs and restaurants ummm ok maybe would be easyer to list where i dont lol
i dont keep bags of knitting in car next to bed in front room kitchen lol oh dear i think i might need help lol

also i dont keep note pads and pens next to bed incase i get ideas too lol

Hi Nikki

Just read your thread about where you do your knitting - nothing like wasting good knitting time, is there? Good grief, our lass, you've made no attempt at all at knitting while you brush your teeth/ hair or do the washing up. :teehee:

Please don't bother yourself about typos - at least you can string a paragraph together that makes sense, which is more than I can do sometimes. I often get people asking what the hell I'm talking about - you should ask Momwolf and Rita, they get their minds tied in knots, wondering what I'm wittering about half the time.:??:??:zombie::zombie::oo::oo:

I was interested in what you said about Cottage Knitting - is it anything like this

http://techknitting.blogspot.com/2007/01/circular-needles-back-and-forth-round.html

If you scroll down the page you'll see a drawing of 'Shetland' knitting - are we talking about the same thing?

Would love to know more about your Mum's knitting.

All the Best

Ellie

Limey
04-24-2008, 05:24 AM
Hiya Jen,

This link with the drawing is for you and me and anyone else who might be aching and paining:teehee:

Nikkilc
04-24-2008, 07:04 AM
the 2nd imagie down with the needle tucked under the arm is exactly like how my mum and her mum and my fathers mother knitted
only ever now it as cottage knitting my dads mum is /was welsh you see. and thats how the farmers wives did to earn xtra money for the family was supposed to be a quick easy way to knit so you make up things much faster.
i am a slow knitter comapire to my mum and my late grandmothers.

ritaw
04-24-2008, 09:22 AM
Good Afternoon everyone . I hope you are all keeping well :muah:
I posted out my first batch yesterday as they were starting to mount up a bit . I sent about 11 little hats and as my printer is broken i , just sent them wwithout the tag . As long as they get to the children then that is all that matters .

momwolf
04-24-2008, 10:24 AM
Had a whole thing written out here and lost it:hair::!!!:Then couldn't get pics to load:!!!:Been a bad day for computer stuff.So am just posting pics and wishing everyone a better day then I am having:eyes: One more hat for ya Ellie

Nikkilc
04-24-2008, 12:16 PM
that hat is so cute

ritaw
04-24-2008, 01:57 PM
Way too cute Julie . I love that little hat . It is precious :) I hope your day gets better !!

Limey
04-24-2008, 03:35 PM
the 2nd imagie down with the needle tucked under the arm is exactly like how my mum and her mum and my fathers mother knitted
only ever now it as cottage knitting my dads mum is /was welsh you see. and thats how the farmers wives did to earn xtra money for the family was supposed to be a quick easy way to knit so you make up things much faster.
i am a slow knitter comapire to my mum and my late grandmothers.

Hi Nikki

That's exactly the way I knit too, with a long needle under my arm. You can get a fair bit of speed up, and it's not uncomfortable (especially if you're of the well-upholstered variety):teehee:

You know, it seems that women who had to work for a living, both in industry or agriculture, used this method because it was fast and it is possible to walk around with the needles.

In the Shetland Isles, they seemed to use a belt to hold one needle firmly, instead of holding it under their arms/and or using long, dpn. needles.

I've posted some pics here - the woman who won the World Speed Knitting Championships this year, Hazel Tindal, uses one of these belts.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WjEh7acrr5o

She was the third one along on the YouTube video I posted last night.

Bit of history here - scroll down to the Yorkshire Dales paras.

http://www.vam.ac.uk/collections/fashion/features/knitting/regional/index.html

I know for a fact that women in Lancashire and other parts of northern England used this method when working in factories. The Weaving Shed in cotton mills was horrendously noisy, so as well as learning how to lip-read, it was very handy to be able to knit and walk around to check that the looms were working ok (if a loom hit a snag, the wages were docked until it was working again), so they had to keep an eagle-eye on their work.

I've not been able to knit this way for any extended length of time because of a trapped nerve in my neck - in fact, I swap knitting methods and do whatever gives me the best result and makes life easy on my neck and arms.

I'll do a rib on a baby hat, using English but knit Conti for the remainder - no purling when knitting in the round - brilliant!

Our resident Demon Knitters, Julie and Rita, both have their own ways of knitting - Julie prefers Conti and it was mainly due to her encouragement and help that I finally was able to knit this way and keep up a decent tension. So thanks very much, Julie.

Rita uses Greek knitting and I'll try and post some great videos, made by her little seven-year-old lad, Luke. I'll have a go later and see if I can get them on here. They're amazing.

Rita says the Purl stitch is so easy to do this way and I've given it a try and it is. Brilliantly easy compared to English and Conti.

Which way do you knit - what's your preferred way? You seem like another Demon knitter, turning out hats by the skipload and many thanks for that.

Best Wishes

Ellie

Limey
04-24-2008, 03:42 PM
Good Afternoon everyone . I hope you are all keeping well :muah:
I posted out my first batch yesterday as they were starting to mount up a bit . I sent about 11 little hats and as my printer is broken i , just sent them wwithout the tag . As long as they get to the children then that is all that matters .

Thanks very much, Rita. That's magic, mailing out so many hats in such a short time.

I really like the little hat, it's a lovely colour.

Thanks very much for your help and I hope you don't mind my telling Nikki how you knit and about your little video operator.:hug:

Ellie

Limey
04-24-2008, 03:58 PM
Had a whole thing written out here and lost it:hair::!!!:Then couldn't get pics to load:!!!:Been a bad day for computer stuff.So am just posting pics and wishing everyone a better day then I am having:eyes: One more hat for ya Ellie

Julie, how many times do I have to tell ya NOT to loon around with that broom when it's a full moon!!!!!???????

I'm not surprised there are gremlins and hiccoughs all over the place. I replied to Nikki's thread and Rita's thread no problem. When I tried to get back to yours, the server timed out and I had to log out and log back in again (no, I ain't kidding).

Tut! :roll: You know as well as I do that facing the wrong direction and not checking the wind speed, while you're busy broom-brandishing, can have dire consequences on your computer.

I shudder to think what you've done with the radio and TV, not to mention the fridge and freezer.

Please be sure to walk around the house with your brush facing east. Spin the spiderswebs in a southerly direction and Bob's Your Uncle, that should do it.

Thanks very much for all the hats you've made and I really like the ones with the hearts - they're so cute.

Best Wishes

Ellie

Nikkilc
04-24-2008, 05:20 PM
i knit sort of letting go of the needle in my right hand and loop th e wool around the needle. I can knit cottage style just not very fast yet and it complty changes my tension, I have to wait for my brain to process the new way and i will be able to do it almost standing on my head lol
my mums dad was from yorkshire
and yes my mum used to walk around the house knitting she never used anything but her arm to hold it. she could do lace and ribbing and purl that way u could actually watch it grow it was so quick. She used metal needles and it used to sound like a machine gun lol
she could shout at use watch the tea cook and knit a jumper all at once
and i have somedays enought problems breathing and walking lol

Limey
04-24-2008, 06:01 PM
Hiya Nikki

Nikki said:

"...my mums dad was from yorkshire ...."

Never mind, lass - we can always make you an Honorary Lanc :teehee:

My Dad's Auntie went to do missionary work once in Castleford and she was so dedicated, she never made it back. Married a Yorkshireman! Oooh the shame!:oops:

I can't tell you what a relief it is to have someone who's familiar with the under-the-arm knitting style because Rita and Momwolf think I'm hallucinating or something when I've tried to describe it to them.

The only difference between the way I knit and the diagram is that I don't have the yarn over my right index finger. It goes around my little finger and across the palm and then I just slightly crook the top of my middle finger to guide the yarn around the needle. Dunno if that will help you with this style of knitting. Might be worth a shout, though.

I've never been able to manage what I call the 'Miss Marple' sort of knitting, where the needle is held like a pen. It might look elegant but it just puts a strain on my wrists.

As I said earlier, thanks to Julie, I can now knit Conti and what strikes me as the major difference (besides holding the yarn in different hands) between the two ways of knitting is that English = wrapping the yarn around the needle -
Conti = moving the needle around the yarn.

Having looked at the YouTube videos and results of the speed contests, I really don't think one method is quicker than the other. A couple of years ago Miriam Teglar won the championship from Hazel Tindall and now Hazel's got it back again.

There were only a couple of stitches difference between the two knitters, so it doesn't seem one way is better than the other.

I think most people though, when they see English, are watching demos of people doing the 'Miss Marple' and not the 'industrial' variety, done in Scotland and northern England.

I might get aroundtuit one day, making a video of this way of knitting. Good luck and keep practising.

Best Wishes
Ellie

Cynamar
04-24-2008, 07:05 PM
More adorable hats! I LOVE them!!!

momwolf
04-24-2008, 10:40 PM
Julie, how many times do I have to tell ya NOT to loon around with that broom when it's a full moon!!!!!???????

I'm not surprised there are gremlins and hiccoughs all over the place. I replied to Nikki's thread and Rita's thread no problem. When I tried to get back to yours, the server timed out and I had to log out and log back in again (no, I ain't kidding).

Tut! :roll: You know as well as I do that facing the wrong direction and not checking the wind speed, while you're busy broom-brandishing, can have dire consequences on your computer.

I shudder to think what you've done with the radio and TV, not to mention the fridge and freezer.

Please be sure to walk around the house with your brush facing east. Spin the spiderswebs in a southerly direction and Bob's Your Uncle, that should do it.

It didn't work Ellie :waah:

I just did a half hour of searching for smilies for your how to and hit preview post and it all disappeared again :!!!:I give up:passedout:

Talk to ya all tommorrow:hug:

momwolf
04-24-2008, 10:42 PM
This is how I knit http://ak.imgfarm.com/images/cursormania/files/20/10140a.gif

ritaw
04-25-2008, 01:49 AM
Thanks very much, Rita. That's magic, mailing out so many hats in such a short time.

I really like the little hat, it's a lovely colour.

Thanks very much for your help and I hope you don't mind my telling Nikki how you knit and about your little video operator.:hug:

Ellie

No problem Ellie ,
It is always nice to see how many different ways people knit .
As i said to you before , I thought nothing of it as that was how i was taught to knit when i was about 6 or 7 years old.
The purl is very quick and the knit a bit slower . But the tension is always spot on .
I have tried to learn conti and it just does not work for me and at the end of the day i knit quite fast and i am happy with this way .
It is far easier on on the hands and fingers:hug:

Nikkilc
04-25-2008, 04:11 AM
not the 'industrial' variety, done in Scotland and northern England.

you forgot that the welsh and the Irish knit that way too:fingerwag:
am very proud of my Welsh roots oh and my Irish roots too lol

hope you all have a good day
i am the sun is out here and i lost 4lbs i weight too :woohoo:

Limey
04-25-2008, 06:41 AM
It didn't work Ellie :waah:

I just did a half hour of searching for smilies for your how to and hit preview post and it all disappeared again :!!!:I give up:passedout:

Talk to ya all tommorrow:hug:

Oh, sorry about that, Julie.
Bit of a b*gger that! Spending ages with a thread and then it goes and blows it. I've had that a couple of times and it's really irritating and annoying.

Only thing I can suggest is keep away from the Preview button and maybe break up your replies into shorter sections - maybe add one or two paras at a time and then submit them, then if it plays up again, you've only lost a small amount of text.

Maybe if you head your replies with numbers, we can easily follow what you're saying (well, as much as we ever can!).

Hope it gets fixed soon.

Best Wishes
Ellie

Limey
04-25-2008, 06:44 AM
not the 'industrial' variety, done in Scotland and northern England.

you forgot that the welsh and the Irish knit that way too:fingerwag:
am very proud of my Welsh roots oh and my Irish roots too lol

hope you all have a good day
i am the sun is out here and i lost 4lbs i weight too :woohoo:

Hiya Nikki

Sorry about the regional chauvinism but I didn't know the Irish knitted that way too but it's not surprising, as Scotland and Ireland are so close together.

I know you mentioned your family in Wales but I had no idea that that was how most people in Wales knitted because I can't find any research on it.

I wonder where the great divide happened - when people stopped going under-the-arm and got busy with the pencil technique?

All the Best
Ellie

Nikkilc
04-25-2008, 08:00 AM
i think its just how celts knit and i think again its to do with being able to produce a knitted item as fast as posible so they can get paid.

its know by many names one is cottage knitting one is shetland knitting one is irish cottage am sure there are others.

the pencil technique can in after industral revoloution made knitted garmets easyer and cheeper to knit up by machine.
the gentile way of knitting came in by ladys who had a lot of time on there hands and had to do something.so they either knitted or sewed for there wedding chests.
or thats what i think anyways but i am known to be wrong a lot lol

hangs head i am a ms marple knitter that makes me feel so old lol

Limey
04-25-2008, 09:01 AM
Hi Nikki

I wouldn't worry too much about:

'hangs head i am a ms marple knitter that makes me feel so old lol'

Yeah, but not as old as someone of Irish & Scottish descent, who's using a knitting method going back in the mists of time, probably when Adam was a lad!:rofl::rofl:

ritaw
04-25-2008, 12:02 PM
Hi Everyone :)

Well , My telephone is not working so i have not been talking too much lol , so i had time to make this today .

Cynamar
04-25-2008, 01:06 PM
What a cute hat! It's different. I like it. You're so creative with your hats.

DQ
04-25-2008, 01:08 PM
I had to log in to say...OOOOOOH PRETTY!! :yay:

*ehem*

Oh and I knit English style with the right needle rested on my thigh ( or stomach). I don't think that's any particular method :??

Limey
04-25-2008, 02:18 PM
Hiya Rita

Oh, Wow - that hat really is something - gorgeous and I love the colour as well.

It's a pain about the phone - I thought I'd try shouting down a tin can, with a bit of string attached but I ran out of twine at Watford Services.

All the Best

Limey
04-25-2008, 02:19 PM
I had to log in to say...OOOOOOH PRETTY!! :yay:

*ehem*

Oh and I knit English style with the right needle rested on my thigh ( or stomach). I don't think that's any particular method :??

It is a particular method, Jen - it's just that your armhole must be lower than most other people's.:teehee::knitting:

ritaw
04-25-2008, 02:45 PM
Hiya Rita

Oh, Wow - that hat really is something - gorgeous and I love the colour as well.

It's a pain about the phone - I thought I'd try shouting down a tin can, with a bit of string attached but I ran out of twine at Watford Services.

All the Best

Awww thanks Ellie :muah:
LOL it is such a pain not being able to use the phone . I have really missed talking to you .
Hopefully they can fix it Monday evening when they come.
I hope you are feeling better .

:hug:

bajanKnit
04-25-2008, 05:52 PM
Hi Everyone :)

Well , My telephone is not working so i have not been talking too much lol , so i had time to make this today .
Beautiful hat !!!

I have 2 hats to post as well and then thats it for me until i get back to Uk I guess I didn't pack enough yarn cause I am out of yarn :waah: :waah:

Limey
04-26-2008, 05:59 AM
Beautiful hat !!!

I have 2 hats to post as well and then thats it for me until i get back to Uk I guess I didn't pack enough yarn cause I am out of yarn :waah: :waah:

Alicia! I'm totally shocked :noway:

oo - that is simply outrageous - running out of yarn is absolutely no excuse for not knitting.

Find yourself the nearest flock of sheep, give their coats a little trim and there ya go - out of yarn indeed! Never heard the like of it:teehee:

Have you managed to get rid of those fiercesome headaches - I hope so, they sounded like mega migraines.

Thanks very much for all your kind help - it's much appreciated and if you can, please keep chiming in here because we really like to hear from you and could you please organise some sunshine for us in the UK?- rotten grey skies again!

Best Wishes
Ellie

Limey
04-26-2008, 06:06 AM
Rita said: "LOL it is such a pain not being able to use the phone . I have really missed talking to you."

You're obviously a glutton for punishment, our Rita :wink:- I hope they can get your phone fixed too. Seems an awful long time for it to be out of order but that's par for the course for the UK:teehee:

Meantime, thanks so much for all the hats you've made - you're a gem! :knitting: :yay: :cheering: :happydance:

Best Wishes
Ellie

Nikkilc
04-26-2008, 07:24 AM
afternoon ladies
and it is a glorious day today sun shinning and my order from banyan yarns arrived in the week :inlove:
though only live 35 miles from the shop i could of drove lol
i ordered a load of there microspun have never felt such a soft acrilyic before :inlove: :inlove:
well i best get knitting more hats before limey gets her whip out lol

ritaw
04-26-2008, 07:38 AM
Rita said: "LOL it is such a pain not being able to use the phone . I have really missed talking to you."

You're obviously a glutton for punishment, our Rita :wink:- I hope they can get your phone fixed too. Seems an awful long time for it to be out of order but that's par for the course for the UK:teehee:

Meantime, thanks so much for all the hats you've made - you're a gem! :knitting: :yay: :cheering: :happydance:

Best Wishes
Ellie

They did offer to come yesterday to fix it . but it was from 8am -12 pm and i told them that i would be gone for an hour in the morning to take Luke to school .
They said that if the engineer came at the time i was out then i would have to pay them 10.
So the next convenient appt was monday after school 4-7pm

bajanKnit
04-26-2008, 04:03 PM
Alicia! I'm totally shocked :noway:

oo - that is simply outrageous - running out of yarn is absolutely no excuse for not knitting.

Find yourself the nearest flock of sheep, give their coats a little trim and there ya go - out of yarn indeed! Never heard the like of it:teehee:

Have you managed to get rid of those fiercesome headaches - I hope so, they sounded like mega migraines.

Thanks very much for all your kind help - it's much appreciated and if you can, please keep chiming in here because we really like to hear from you and could you please organise some sunshine for us in the UK?- rotten grey skies again!

Best Wishes
Ellie
oo Ellie I am soo sorry :notworthy: :verysad: I have let you down could you ever find it in your heart to forgive me??:waah: :waah:

Ellie you are so bad we only have black belly sheep here and the hair on they coats wouldn't knit very nice also my uncle might take the whip to my hide if he catches me anywhere near his prize lambs.

I know it's obscene to run out of yarn but I didn't expect to be here so long (blame it the British Consulate here for pussy footing with my documents) I would go out and buy more but the only kind sold here is Red Heart super saver (to harsh for thr babies head i think).
But I will still be here readig all you guys madness and adding my 2 cents worth (I think I am becoming just as mad as you all).

The headaches have subsided for now I hope they stay away for good because I can't take pain killers (allergies) so I have to wait until their go :waah: Thanks for asking...underneath all the Limey exterior you are very sweet :rofl: :chair:

Later have a messenger date with Dh (webcam and all) so I am going to make myself stunning. :)

Oh Ellie I fed ex some sunshine to you!

Alicia

ritaw
04-27-2008, 08:56 AM
I hope you are all having a great weekend :)

Here is another hat for the good cause :muah:

Cynamar
04-27-2008, 12:00 PM
CUTE!!!

bajanKnit
04-27-2008, 02:42 PM
Here's a hat for the babies!http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj209/bajanknit/Picture177-1.jpg

DQ
04-27-2008, 02:53 PM
I'm having a great weekend! I've been to the craft show at Aintree and I've bought myself some extreme knitting needles :woot: 15 x 700mm!!

http://racheljohn.co.uk/default.aspx

The hat I started the other day has stalled though. I've been distracted by the thought of learning to spin. I vow to make at least one hat this week in between all the other things I want/need to knit/do :passedout:

Limey
04-27-2008, 05:08 PM
Hi Alicia

Well, I never! If it isn't bad enough your running out of wool, you have to go and libel me by calling me 'sweet'! I've got a mean and evil reputation to live down to here. :evil:

Alright then, seeing that it's the British Consul who's faffing about, we'll let you off, while it's you - besides which, you make the loveliest hats and I love the very pretty stripey one you've just knitted.

Please keep chiming in but we must point out that we cannot be held responsible if you catch a big dose of daftness from this thread:teehee:

Thanks so much for all your kind help - it's very much appreciated. :hug:

Best Wishes

Ellie

Limey
04-27-2008, 05:18 PM
I hope you are all having a great weekend :)

Here is another hat for the good cause :muah:

Hiya Rita,

I really do like that colour so much and that's another brilliant little hat you've made; thank you so much for all your help.

I know that you've already kindly sent off some of your hats to Save the Children but realising how many hats your turning out per split-second, I thought it would be an idea to inquire about how much it is to hire a skip (dumpster) in your neck of the woods.

There'll be a couple of bods banging on your door in the morning with competitive quotes.

I've also contacted the nearest sheep farmer who, even as I write, is arranging for a flock to be delivered. He said there might be a slight delay as he wants to use the M25 when it isn't busy (obviously dealing with a bumpkin here).

I thought you wouldn't be averse to a bit of bucolic bleating and it would save wear and tear on the sales lady's nerves at your LYS.

Best Wishes

Ellie

Limey
04-27-2008, 05:36 PM
I'm having a great weekend! I've been to the craft show at Aintree and I've bought myself some extreme knitting needles :woot: 15 x 700mm!!

http://racheljohn.co.uk/default.aspx

The hat I started the other day has stalled though. I've been distracted by the thought of learning to spin. I vow to make at least one hat this week in between all the other things I want/need to knit/do :passedout:

Hiya Jen

Well, that about completes the set then - a spinning Scouser!
Oh God! Lemme out of here!

It's all too much, I can't stand the strain - have you also really gone and bought those curtain rails, those poles, pretending to be knitting needles??????????

I've just checked my tape measure - did you say 700mm?????

Ye Gods! They're about 1 and a half inches wide by about 27 1/2 inches long. What in the Knitting Universe, are you going to make with those? Could I borrow them sometime please? I've been all over the place, looking for agility bars for Sam Pup and these will be just the job.

Just think, you could nip over to my place in no time at all now - just get your broomstick and set it for a few miles North.

Please write and let us know what's happening with this spinning wheel and javelin malarkey, would you? You can't just drop bombshells like that and airily jaunt off.

Yours :eyes::think::whoosh::eyebrow2: and checking the horizon before I venture out.

Ellie

ritaw
04-28-2008, 09:18 AM
LOL The skip is coming on wednesday lol

Nikkilc
04-28-2008, 09:24 AM
Limey you cracked me up with your last 2 posts:roflhard:

i managed to knit 1 and 1/4 hat today

and DQ i too wish to know what you plan on knitting with those sharpened curtain poles lol

DQ
04-29-2008, 01:22 PM
Well until there is some patterns published on that website I will use them for making blankets probably! There was a lovely display of blankets at the show and the most beautiful rug which was knit with more than 100 strands held together! (I can't remember the exact amount)

Limey
04-29-2008, 05:35 PM
Well until there is some patterns published on that website I will use them for making blankets probably! There was a lovely display of blankets at the show and the most beautiful rug which was knit with more than 100 strands held together! (I can't remember the exact amount)

Hiya Jen

Who was the hale and hearty hero who merrily swung and strung more than 100 strands together???????????????

Sorry, but I just can't get a daft picture out of my head of someone with a fork-lift truck, spinning around, trying to hook up
a purl stitch! The mind boggles! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

You don't half meet some rum beggars on your weekend walkabouts! :teehee:

The hubby has asked me to tell you that he's short of a couple of tent pegs and could you oblige? (He's definitely a few pegs short of a pitch, anyway).

If you decide you really like the Big Knit gear, check this out:
http://www.bhkc.co.uk/data/national_knit_events06.htm#Biggest

If you scroll down past the first pic (the one where she's holding up the goal posts) there's another pic of the needles.

I think she's using a hose-pipe instead of yarn.

Anyway, Toots, all the best with the spinning!

Best Wishes
Ellie

Nikkilc
04-30-2008, 09:18 AM
1 more hat done just got to sew them up now thats the bit i don't like so much.

even with the uk oddball knitting i promise to knit 4 hats a week we want lots of warm baby heads plus i got lots of really nice bright wool thats will be perfect for there hats.
when i was at work in Oxfam on Monday one of my regular customers is a former resident of Zimbabwe and she saw me knitting asked what i was doing and told her. she said yes the bright colours suit them better and they love them loud too.
some of the things she told me were horrible of what has happened out there, but she loves the people and is glad there are people who care here and try to help
It gave me a kick in the rear to knit more and squeeze a little hug into each hat
thought i share so you all would know the Thank you i received for the hat was for all the hat knitters and there lovely hats

:hug: Nikki

momwolf
04-30-2008, 10:24 AM
Sorry I have not been on here lately but computer was down and been busy at work,I manage to get 2 more hats done but one is way to big :thud:Everyones hats are soooooooooo cute.Keep up the good work.
Ellie keep us laughing :roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard:

Nikkilc
04-30-2008, 12:47 PM
They are both so cute:inlove:

ritaw
04-30-2008, 01:44 PM
Sorry I have not been on here lately but computer was down and been busy at work,I manage to get 2 more hats done but one is way to big :thud:Everyones hats are soooooooooo cute.Keep up the good work.
Another excellent pair of hats Julie :)
They are lovely . It does not matter if one is too big . They are sure to go to children who are a little bit bigger anyway .
I hope your computer troubles are now over :hug:

Limey
04-30-2008, 04:17 PM

Hiya Julie

Thanks so much for making those two hats - I love them - you always use such gorgeous colours.

As Rita said, it doesn't matter if one of them is a bit big, because it will probably fit an older brother or sister of the baby!

I think if your computer gets a cold, mine ends up with 'flu. Been fine most of the day but decided to throw a wobbly around 6pm - wireless connection gone! Couldn't get Rock All, until I gave it a kick up its cable.

All Best Wishes
Ellie

Nikkilc
04-30-2008, 05:07 PM
funny mine didnt work at 6pm either had to restart and reboot my modems

bajanKnit
04-30-2008, 05:40 PM
Hi Julie your hats are really nice keep em coming :)

Cynamar
04-30-2008, 05:56 PM
Very nice, Julie!

ritaw
05-02-2008, 06:57 AM
Hellllllooooo everyone. where has everyone gone ? It is so quiet . :hug:

One more for the worthy cause :woohoo:

Limey
05-02-2008, 12:03 PM
Hiya Everyone

Sorry I've not been around much but we've had a man in, doing jobs the last few days and ya know what it's like.

No names mentioned but there's someone been squirrelling around here, looking for victims to knit prem baby blankets and I got a bit waylaid.

Anyway, I'm back and thanks so much Rita for that beautiful hat.

What's the little flower made from? Is it a cotton or silk motif? sewing is something I avoid messing with but that flower looks absolutely gorgeous and sets the hat off a treat.

Thanks so much everyone for your help with this project.

I've knitted a couple of little hats and will post pictures later, when His Nibs gets back with the camera.

Nikkilc
05-03-2008, 05:27 PM
looks innocent and says wow cute hat love the flower

i got 4 more to sew it up so that will be 12 now
once i get to 20 i will send them off:knitting:

Limey
05-04-2008, 12:10 PM
Tut Nikki

What a sluggard! Only managing a dozen hats:teehee:

I haven't been skiving off but I've been pretty busy the last couple of days.

I thought I'd knit a cable hat and used 48 stitches but I think it could do with being a bit bigger because the cables pull it in and although iT will fit a newborn, I like making the hats a bit bigger to allow for growth.

THANKS SO MUCH AGAIN EVERYONE FOR ALL YOUR KIND HELP AND GIVING YOUR TIME SO GENEROUSLY.

I REALLY LIKE ALL THE HATS YOU'VE MADE AND I'M SURE THE CHARITY WILL BE MUCH CHUFFED WITH THEM TOO:yay::yay::yay::happydance::happydance::happyda nce:

ritaw
05-04-2008, 12:49 PM
OOOOOhhhhhhh what a lovely hat Ellie :) I love it . Nice job hun :)

bajanKnit
05-04-2008, 03:13 PM
Hi Rita beautiful hat love love the accent flower!!!! :cheering:

Hi Ellie I love your cable hat and the color is very sunny!! :cheering:

I still have one more hat to post but have been super busy this week. How is everyone doing? I hope you all are well!

:) :) :) :)
Alicia

ritaw
05-04-2008, 03:27 PM
Thanks Alicia .:)
I am ok . Thanks . It is a bank holiday weekend here and it is pretty quiet .
I hope you are keeping well . All that sunshine and lovely beahes must be heaven :)
Take care xxx

Limey
05-04-2008, 04:18 PM
I hope you are keeping well . All that sunshine and lovely beahes must be heaven :)
Take care xxx

Bank holiday weekend, pretty quiet - yeah, right!:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Obviously, you ain't been stuck on the M6 behind a small trailer with an old-fashioned van on top of it, festooned with even more old-fashioned Lyons Tea adverts.

Bank Holidays are not the best times to choose to hop up towards the Lakes, especially when you've got an Eddie Stobart on your tail and a DHL muscling in on your right - oh joy!:teehee:

There's one thing I've learned about busy motorways though,and that's they're great for getting out a circ and carrying on knitting a little hat. If we're in the middle lane in a traffic jam, lorry drivers in the slow lane seem quite amused by watching knit and purls and wool flying about.

I don't think they're very familiar with circular needles and they wonder what the hell I'm doing. Hmm .... maybe I could give quick knitting tutorials between Preston and Lancaster.

Could even expand from Carnforth to Carlisle on a good day.

Keep on soaking up the rays, Alicia, and please stop hogging all that sunshine - we've had one good day here but now it's persisting down, as usual.

All the Best

bajanKnit
05-04-2008, 06:25 PM
Take care xxx
Today was especially sunny not a drop of rain in site! great day for the beach! We had 2 bank holidays last week Monday (National Heroes Day) and Thursday (May Day/ Labour day) and another one coming next Monday! :)

Alicia

bajanKnit
05-04-2008, 06:38 PM
Keep on soaking up the rays, Alicia, and please stop hogging all that sunshine - we've had one good day here but now it's persisting down, as usual.

All the Best
Trust me Ellie I try to say as far away from the :hot: sun as possible, unlike your paler skin shade(paler in comparison to mine which is about the shade of chocolate)I am not a sun person and I don't need a tan :chair: I prefer to stay indoors with a tall glass of ice cold lemonade (spiked with a little Banks beer) :aww: :clink: and knit or read with the fan's cooling breezes. It was the perfect day for the beach today but did I go? Nooo I did not so please let us switch places anyone willing to trade with me I live just about 5 mins from the beach. :)
:) :) :) :)
Alicia

Limey
05-04-2008, 10:00 PM
Hi Alicia

Places switched!!!!!!!! (I don't need asking twice to share some :hot:and then some more :sun:)

All I have to do is find my particle accelerator - oo - best get a move on, I can see Rita heading for Heathrow!

I do sympathise with the hard time you're having - deciding to stay away from the beach - and finding things to do on three different Bank Holidays. Oh, decisions, decisions :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen: - life can be so cruel:teehee:

Yours, heading for the Desert Island poster shop (feeling sick as a parrot) - Sunshine, indeed! Chance would be a fine thing! Tut! grumble, mutter, groan - enough to make ya curl up and die of envy - feel so green I could spit grass!

Ellie

Nikkilc
05-05-2008, 06:38 AM
sorry you do crack me up ellie

would rather have the rain the storms had them on and off for 3 weeks now i am sick of thunder and lighting which has struck localy a few times.
its so muggy today if those clouds thicken it will storm again tut and will have to turn pc off
if i do that i cant get ellie to knit her blanket lol

least all my paintings done and dryed so i can start knitting again

ps i would rather have the beach but with cold weather
wonder if they have beachies in the north pole lol

Cynamar
05-05-2008, 10:30 AM
I love the yellow hat, Limey!

bajanKnit
05-05-2008, 11:27 AM
Hi Alicia

Places switched!!!!!!!! (I don't need asking twice to share some :hot:and then some more :sun:)

All I have to do is find my particle accelerator - oo - best get a move on, I can see Rita heading for Heathrow!

I do sympathise with the hard time you're having - deciding to stay away from the beach - and finding things to do on three different Bank Holidays. Oh, decisions, decisions :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen: - life can be so cruel:teehee:

Yours, heading for the Desert Island poster shop (feeling sick as a parrot) - Sunshine, indeed! Chance would be a fine thing! Tut! grumble, mutter, groan - enough to make ya curl up and die of envy - feel so green I could spit grass!

Ellie
Ellie
Decisions decisions!!! Green is definitely your color :chair:

Alicia

DQ
05-05-2008, 12:40 PM
Well, I've finally done another hat! I wasn't getting on well with it until I decided to sit and watch the snooker with it :mrgreen:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2001/2467587119_a0af7022e7.jpg

And now I must disappear to furiously knit 3 and a bit socks before Sunday :passedout:

Limey
05-05-2008, 02:23 PM
Alicia wrote:

"Ellie
Decisions decisions!!! Green is definitely your color "

Hi Alicia,

Your damn right it's my colour just now. It's ok for some, pootling around Paradise Isle, bewailing their lot of Bank Holidays, while we sit here in the cloud and rain and thunder and lightning:teehee:

If you find yourself at a loose end, you could sneak up on your uncle's flock of sheep, shear a few and send the wool over to Jen, who is, no doubt, fizzing and popping around her spinning wheel. She 'buzzed' my back garden at least twice last week - any more, and she'll have the neighbours moaning at me.

Hiya Jen

Thanks so much for the lovely hat - I love that delicate blue colour.

It's the first I've known though for yarn to get into a strop - what do you mean, you couldn't get on with it at first? If it gives you any more chelp, just give it a quick tug and it'll soon fall back into line.

I'm glad it settled down enough to watch the snooker - maybe it got bored bouncing around in the bottom of the your bag or something or maybe it just didn't like the competition from your spinning wheel. How are you getting on with the spinning? I hope that's not giving you any backchat either.

Hiya Nikki - I will get aroundtuit later this week (blanket, I mean). Oh, by the way, I saw in the newspaper and 'Have I Got News For You' last week, that the black species of squirrel are positive thugs.

Turning out the greys from their homes and doing all kinds of mean and horrible and nasty things. One of 'em, (cheeky beggar!) was banging nuts together, sending out Morse messages up't north, wondering where the Hanover its blanket was.

The Red Squirrel, (a much more civilised and refined species altogether, and found locally at Formby Point) signalled back saying: "Wait your sweat! I'm squirrelling as fast as I can. Give us a minute. Southern species,:roll: born in a rush!":teehee:

Thanks again, folks, for all your kind help - it's much appreciated.

DQ
05-05-2008, 02:57 PM
:teehee: It just didn't seem to want to knit up as quick as I would have liked. I changed the needles for some with sharper points and that seemed to sort it out!

I wish I did have a spinning wheel, alas I only have a spindle -->

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2011/2451924614_14d8425c72.jpg

This is my best effort so far...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3264/2451352481_b703793a16.jpg

Nikkilc
05-05-2008, 03:01 PM
wow thats amazing way better then anything i could do

and how is your shoulder?

DQ
05-05-2008, 03:06 PM
wow thats amazing way better then anything i could do

and how is your shoulder?

The shoulder is still bad but I'm not getting the pain down my arm now though so that's something!

Limey
05-05-2008, 07:27 PM
DQ wrote:

"I wish I did have a spinning wheel, alas I only have a spindle -->"

Huh? :?? :whoosh: :eyes: :think:

Are you seriously saying that you managed to zoom around on just a spindle, without at least one rear spinning wheel attached!!!!????

Good grief, Jen, that's amazing! No wonder the busies in the helicopter looked a bit bemused - they're used to seeing weirdies with two wheels - not winging it on a single spindle.

Oh, forgot to mention, if you go by my place, the spare broomstick I keep for emergencies is in the shed. Feel free to use it in case the spindle runs out of well .... spin.

I think you've done great with that wool. My Mam borrowed somebody's spinning wheel once and she had this comb/brush thing as well - think she said it was for carding wool.

Are there any spinning classes in the 'pool? If there are, somebody might know where you could get a spinning wheel for a reasonable price.

Good Luck with it and thank you again for the little blue hat.

I'm glad your shoulder is on the mend too - if you've had pains down your arm, that sounds a bit like nerve probs. Hope you can get it sorted.

Best Wishes.

momwolf
05-06-2008, 08:04 AM
Got another hat done AND finally finished up this sweater for a new baby for Renee and Cory:woot:

Rita your hats are lovely!!!!!!!!!

Everyones hats are lovely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ellie you crack me up:roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard:

ritaw
05-06-2008, 08:57 AM
WOW !! Lovely hats Dq and Julie . I bow down to you both :) Great job girls .
Julie ! That sweater is way cute . I love it . The colourway is so yummy .

tarrentella
05-06-2008, 09:16 AM
Rita thanks for posting this ... i wish i had looked at the thread sooner! i love making hats anyway so will have to get on and make a few for them. what a fantastic campaign.

GiddyKnitter
05-06-2008, 09:37 AM
A cute little hat DQ xx

ritaw
05-06-2008, 11:23 AM
Rita thanks for posting this ... i wish i had looked at the thread sooner! i love making hats anyway so will have to get on and make a few for them. what a fantastic campaign.
Hi Tarrantella ,
It is a great campaign and glad you can join in the fun , laughter and mayhem :) oh and of course Knitting lol.
But i cannot take the credit for posting this thread . It is Limey's efforts that have bought us all together .
Welcome to the Nut House my friend :roflhard:

Limey
05-06-2008, 05:17 PM
Hi Tarrantella ,
It is a great campaign and glad you can join in the fun , laughter and mayhem :) oh and of course Knitting lol.
But i cannot take the credit for posting this thread . It is Limey's efforts that have bought us all together .
Welcome to the Nut House my friend :roflhard:

Why's it always me who gets the blame?????:teehee:

Limey
05-06-2008, 05:25 PM
Got another hat done AND finally finished up this sweater for a new baby for Renee and Cory:woot:

Rita your hats are lovely!!!!!!!!!

Everyones hats are lovely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ellie you crack me up:roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard:

Hiya Julie

You really turn out some stunning knitwear - I love that little sweater - what kind of yarn did you use? Is it varigated? - it's very effective and looks so summery - gorgeous.

Thanks very much too for the lovely hat - tres swish and very cute.

All Best Wishes
Ell

PS - Finally finished the sweater? - how long was it on the needles? - knowing you, probably about 10 minutes max! :knitting::knitting::knitting::knitting::knitting: :knitting::knitting::knitting::knitting::knitting: :knitting::teehee:

Nikkilc
05-07-2008, 06:18 AM
wow how cute u must post the pattern

GiddyKnitter
05-07-2008, 06:21 AM
Limey that hat is so cute x

ritaw
05-07-2008, 06:36 AM
Beautiful hat Ellie . It looks great . :)

Limey
05-07-2008, 08:15 AM
Hiya

Many Thanks folks for your kind comments.

Two pattern links here - good thing about this is that the hat can be knitted either on a circ or on straights.

The straight needle page comes up first - just click on the link under the photo if you want the circular pattern.

http://www.knittingonthenet.com/patterns/babymockcablehat.htm

MANY THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE FOR GIVING YOUR TIME SO GENEROUSLY - IT'S VERY MUCH APPRECIATED.

Ellie

bajanKnit
05-07-2008, 12:54 PM
Hiya

Two pattern links here - good thing about this is that the hat can be knitted either on a circ or on straights.

The straight needle page comes up first - just click on the link under the photo if you want the circular pattern.

Ellie
[/COLOR][/B]

Hi Ellie where's the link?? It's a bit to early in the day to be don't you think?:chair: :)

bajanKnit
05-07-2008, 12:55 PM
Beautiful hats everyone!! And sweater too!:)

ritaw
05-07-2008, 02:16 PM
LOL Ellie has started on the Vodka very early . wheres the link ?

Limey
05-07-2008, 03:00 PM
Hiya Alicia and Rita

What are you two banging on about? The link's right there, in the middle of the thread!

Honestly! Get thee to the opticians!

I've knitted a mock cable pink hat, as well - it's come out so nice too! Very clean-looking, isn't it? :wink:

momwolf
05-07-2008, 05:13 PM
Ellie are you hitting the saucehttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_4_16.gif again:roflhard: Ellie the hats are adorable:cheering::cheering::cheering::cheering:
Hope everyones day is going ok,Here's how mine went

Took BJ to Vet.to get neutered,Went to feed store to get dog food and found out a friend of mines son was in a accident on his motorcycle and fractured his neck,came home to called her and got chased by 2 HUGE angry Beavers that were trying to mate in my drive way ( get a room):noway: Anyway Jay is home now and wearing a brace and will be fine ,then had a meeting at work about 2 guys that aren't doing there job like they are suppose to and found out my bosses wife is in the hospital:shock:, and then went to pick up dog and that cost me $200.00 because he also had ear infection and had to have heart worm test. Then out comes the dog with this big collar around his HEAD so he doesn't chew on stitches.That was a sight driving home with this Lab in the front seat of my truck trying to turn his head to look out the window and banging this big collar on the window :eyes:And I still have the rest of the afternoon to go:roflhard:
But I did manage to get a hat done last night.:blooby:
Thanks everyone for the compliments on my sweater:teehee:
Ellie it's made with 100% cotton called Bernat cottontots.

bajanKnit
05-07-2008, 05:41 PM
Hiya Alicia and Rita

What are you two banging on about? The link's right there, in the middle of the thread!

Honestly! Get thee to the opticians!

I've knitted a mock cable pink hat, as well - it's come out so nice too! Very clean-looking, isn't it? :wink:
Hey Ellie :):)
The optician huh!!!:eyes:Now I wonder where did that link magically appear from??:tap: Leave the Pimm's alone, you crazy Lass.:whistle:

Alicia

Limey
05-07-2008, 08:04 PM
Ellie are you hitting the saucehttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_4_16.gif again:roflhard: Ellie the hats are adorable:cheering::cheering::cheering::cheering:
Hope everyones day is going ok,Here's how mine went

Took BJ to Vet.to get neutered,Went to feed store to get dog food and found out a friend of mines son was in a accident on his motorcycle and fractured his neck,came home to called her and got chased by 2 HUGE angry Beavers that were trying to mate in my drive way ( get a room):noway: Anyway Jay is home now and wearing a brace and will be fine ,then had a meeting at work about 2 guys that aren't doing there job like they are suppose to and found out my bosses wife is in the hospital:shock:, and then went to pick up dog and that cost me $200.00 because he also had ear infection and had to have heart worm test. Then out comes the dog with this big collar around his HEAD so he doesn't chew on stitches.That was a sight driving home with this Lab in the front seat of my truck trying to turn his head to look out the window and banging this big collar on the window :eyes:And I still have the rest of the afternoon to go:roflhard:
But I did manage to get a hat done last night.:blooby:
Thanks everyone for the compliments on my sweater:teehee:
Ellie it's made with 100% cotton called Bernat cottontots.

Hiya Julie,

or should I say, my little, walking, one-woman disaster area! :roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard: :roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard:

I'm just so glad that you don't live in a town - the place wouldn't be big enough to hold ya!

I love the outrage about the beavers - on your 'driveway'? Call that a driveway???? We've got shorter slip roads to motorways than that! I swear if that driveway ws any bigger, you'd be in the next state.

Is that Zoe in the foreground? - thought it was Sam Pup for a minute.

Thanks very much for the hat - I love the colours and I'll have to give the cotton a go one of these days.

Catch up with ya soon.

Limey
05-07-2008, 08:16 PM
Hey Ellie :):)
The optician huh!!!:eyes:Now I wonder where did that link magically appear from??:tap: Leave the Pimm's alone, you crazy Lass.:whistle:

Alicia

Hi Alicia :rofl::rofl::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard:

What are you suggestin'? I have absolutely no idea at all where that link appeared from. :---Sometimes things just jump out at ya on this Forum - that's how I got to know Julie - she posted a Morty Mort thing that scared me half to death when I couldn't sleep one night and came for a quick ferkle on here.:shock:

I think it must be old age catching up with me - getting awful forgetful. Couldn't even find my mascara this morning

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0sahHSNy_Uk

Best Wishes

Nikkilc
05-08-2008, 06:29 AM
what can i say about these post up there but oh my what fun lives you all have lol

i thought havig car accident while knitting was different

i just recounted how many hats i have done so far and its 25 complete and 3 on needles

momwolf
05-08-2008, 08:48 AM
Ellie the way you explained how to do stripes really works good:muah:
Here's another one I did last night.It's purple and lite yellow.

ritaw
05-08-2008, 01:51 PM
Lovely hats Julie :) I just love all the pics and the story of your day . I love that purple colour .
I just love purple , lilac and pinks lol
Ellie . Another stunning hat . That pattern looks better everytime you make it :)
I am feeling a little under the weather again , so just letting you all know .
I have let the boss (Limey ) Know already . LOL I do not want to have Ellie ringing me up about not getting my rest LOL
lovely job everyone :)

Limey
05-08-2008, 03:48 PM
what can i say about these post up there but oh my what fun lives you all have lol

i thought havig car accident while knitting was different

i just recounted how many hats i have done so far and its 25 complete and 3 on needles

Hi Nikki
:passedout::passedout::passedout:

That isn't only brilliant - it's amazing - good grief, you must knit in your sleep.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR WORKING SO HARD!!!!!

THANK YOU ALL -EACH ONE OF YOU - FOR YOUR WONDERFUL RESPONSE TO THIS APPEAL.

EVERYONE'S BEEN VERY KIND, SPENDING ALL THIS TIME AND EFFORT. YOU'RE :star::star::star::star::star::star: FOR DOING ALL THIS WORK, AS WELL AS BEING A GOOD LAUGH!!!

Warmest Wishes.

Limey
05-08-2008, 03:51 PM
Ellie the way you explained how to do stripes really works good:muah:
Here's another one I did last night.It's purple and lite yellow.

Hiya Julie

You pick such lovely colours - my favourite is the turquoise one you knitted before this new one but all your hats are beautiful - you're one mean knitter!

All the Best

Ell XX

Limey
05-08-2008, 03:59 PM
Lovely hats Julie :) I just love all the pics and the story of your day . I love that purple colour .
I just love purple , lilac and pinks lol
Ellie . Another stunning hat . That pattern looks better everytime you make it :)
I am feeling a little under the weather again , so just letting you all know .
I have let the boss (Limey ) Know already . LOL I do not want to have Ellie ringing me up about not getting my rest LOL
lovely job everyone :)

Hiya Rita

I'm sorry you're not feeling well and hope you'll be on the mend soon.

The reason I phone you is to (try) to stop you meeting yourself coming back. Buzz about like a demented bee, you do, when you're not feeling well. :whoosh:

Take it easy:hmm: you horror! (or there'll be ructions)

All the Best
Ell XX

Limey
05-08-2008, 04:05 PM
Hi Folks

Just to let you know that there seems to be something wrong - a delay with my emails.

I checked them at 1:30pm today and there was nothing - not even a bit of spam (most unusual).

I checked them again around 5pm and up popped a slew of them - a couple had been sent this morning but there was definitely nothing there at lunchtime.

Just wanted to apologise in case you thought I'd gone AWOL or fallen down a well or something.

Nikkilc
05-08-2008, 04:15 PM
ur email yesterday didnt get through till the evening
i check my emails too many times to count a day just in case i get one lol
thought it was a bit odd as it said it had been sent 5 hrs before

and a tip if you fall down a well make sure u got ur knitting with u lol could knit a ladder to escape :p

bajanKnit
05-08-2008, 04:55 PM
Hi Alicia :rofl::rofl::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard:

What are you suggestin'? I have absolutely no idea at all where that link appeared from. :---Sometimes things just jump out at ya on this Forum - that's how I got to know Julie - she posted a Morty Mort thing that scared me half to death when I couldn't sleep one night and came for a quick ferkle on here.:shock:

I think it must be old age catching up with me - getting awful forgetful. Couldn't even find my mascara this morning

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0sahHSNy_Uk

Best Wishes
Ellie
Now I know what to do with all this Mascara I have here! Thanks for helping a girl out:)

Alicia

Limey
05-09-2008, 05:05 AM
Hi Alicia

We aim to please!:teehee:

All Best Wishes

Ell

Limey
05-09-2008, 05:12 AM
Good Morning Folks

I just wanted to write and say that I'm sure all of us would like to send Love and Best Wishes to Jen and her family.

They're certainly in my thoughts today. I'll send Jen an email later and let her know that we're all thinking about her.

Ellie

ritaw
05-09-2008, 06:29 AM
Thanks Ellie ,

I am trying to take it easy but there is so much to do . But i am going to relax now for a bit .
Jen - Take care of yourself hun and know that we are all thinking of you and your family . I hope that all goes well .

Love

Rita x

Limey
05-09-2008, 07:47 AM
ur email yesterday didnt get through till the evening
i check my emails too many times to count a day just in case i get one lol
thought it was a bit odd as it said it had been sent 5 hrs before

and a tip if you fall down a well make sure u got ur knitting with u lol could knit a ladder to escape :p

Hiya Nikki

At the speed I knit, you've got to be having a :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: - usually takes me a couple of thousand years to knit a scarf!

momwolf
05-09-2008, 08:24 AM
Jen will be thinking good thoughts for you and your family today:hug:
Rita hope you feel better soon:hug:

Ellie thanks for letting Jen know we all are thinking of her

ritaw
05-09-2008, 12:45 PM
Jen will be thinking good thoughts for you and your family today:hug:
Rita hope you feel better soon:hug:

Ellie thanks for letting Jen know we all are thinking of her
Thank you Julie . I have had a bit of a rest today . I hope it helps .

Limey
05-09-2008, 01:26 PM
Hi Everyone

I've sent Jen an ecard telling her that we're all thinking about her and her family.

It's a card with a big ginger cat on that I thought she would like - I've tried posting it on here but no luck, I'm afraid.

I've put all our names on the card, sending our best wishes.

I hope you all have a good weekend and thank you again for all your kind support.

Ellie

Nikkilc
05-10-2008, 02:03 PM
good news i finished another hat while watching Iron Man at cinema
havnet take a picture yet
bad news is a silly old man reversed ino the passenger side of my car as i was driving, my son was in the passenger seat . my son is fine just a bit shook up and very angry.
happened 2 hrs a go
he is beating up his pillow to get rid of the anger. I dont know if any of you have had dealing with Aspergers but its how he deals with an overload of emotion rather then hitting someone.
so tomorrow morning will be spent on phone to innsuance company as it has damaged 2 doors.
got everything crossed my back holds up.
i could so cry right now . my daughters away hiking for the weekend too so just me and my son
dont seem fair somedays. thats 2 hits this yr both not my fault

so hope you all are having a better one then me
Nikki

Limey
05-10-2008, 04:46 PM
Hi Nikki

I'm so sorry you're having such a rough time.

We have a family member with ADHD and I know that it can be such a tremendous strain.

I don't know why it is but I've known it happen time and time again that if you get bumped in a car, it seems to attract every eejit on the road.

Saturdays aren't the best for driving - our local Tesco's seems to turn into the dodgems at weekends. Can't go more than five yards without somebody reversing without looking:roll::shock:.

Hope you have a much better day tomorrow - meantime, hope the next thread will cheer you up ;)

All Best Wishes

Ellie

Limey
05-10-2008, 04:52 PM
Hi

When Julie wrote earlier this week that she'd been attacked and chased by two amorous beavers on her 'driveway' - aka private airstrip - I thought we'd about reached the deepest depths of daftness.

But no, we hadn't. The postman arrived with a small package this morning and I found this inside it from Rita.

What's daft about that you might wonder - nothing until you clock what the lovely little flowers are resting on ..........

Limey
05-10-2008, 04:58 PM
I happened to mention a few weeks ago that I was running low on coffee jar lids for my art and craft class and she said she'd save some for me.

Hmm - I laughed and said, 'Yeah, right - you're gonna be daft enough to spend postage on empty coffee jar lids, and post them all the way from London.'

Didn't think any more about it but these were what were lurking underneath the little flowers.

Limey
05-10-2008, 05:05 PM
What can you do with mates like this ......? :rofl:

I think Rita has now plumbed new depths of daftness - in fact, taken it to a level previously unknown.

It's only the 10th May but I think Rita has won the Daft Bat of the Year Award already.

Any advance on battling beavers? :roflhard: or sending coffee jar lids over 100 miles in the post? :roflhard:

I'm going back downstairs now and try to knit without laughing.

Thanks very much Rita for the flowers - I love them - (they're the little cute ones she put on the lovely little hat she knitted a few days ago).

Best Wishes

Ellie

Nikkilc
05-10-2008, 05:06 PM
Thanks Ellie that post did make me giggle :rofl:
cant believe she sent lids in the post
you got me wondering what you do with them now

wouldnt of minded if i had been in tescos or asda car parks or as i call them bumpercarparks i was going to have a meal with my son at beefeater the stuiped man was parking in there for free instead of the proper carpark for the hospital nextdoor

the shocks worn off now am just mad but still knitting
just finished the ribbing on a new hat its so easy i dont need to concentrate . the baby blanket i left for tonight or i would end up in frog pond tomorrow
we are walking to cinema to watch speed racer tomorrow will still take my knitting lol

momwolf
05-10-2008, 08:35 PM
Ellie you are tooooooooooooo funny:roflhard:
Nikkilc sorry to hear about your car:noway:
Rita well what can I say, you do a friend a favor and she calls you a daft bat,:roflhard: course it sounds kinda weird to send jar lids in the mail:teehee: But I think I can top that.After I had dog neutered the Vet.wants me to hold a bag of frozen peas on his ummmm where his 2 jewels used to be so they don't swell up.Told him I didn't have peas would corn do. Picture that:roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflh ard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard:
Well got another hat done.Hope you all have a great weekend:hug:

Nikkilc
05-11-2008, 03:28 AM
wow what a cute hat
and thank you
yesterday i felt very sorry for myself today i am just plain mad
got another hat done just a simple one
will post pics later

Limey
05-11-2008, 03:34 AM
Hi Julie

OK - that's it! Now I know you've got an extra paw hiding somewhere.

How the Hanover do you knit a hat and perch a packet of frozen corn on the dog's missing 'tidings of comfort and joy' both at the same time!:roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::rofl hard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard:

Is it any wonder I'm slow at turning things out!:teehee::teehee: I can't get for going, wondering what's gonna pop up next here.

How long does this er, um, oo - what's the word I'm looking for? TLC (thank god for abbreviations) last? - no, I don't mean until the bag thaws!

Do you have to administer the TLC for most of the day? The mind boggles:??:???::eyes:

I hope BJ doesn't suffer any big time mental trauma - poor pup might try and leg it next time he sees a bag of corn.:teehee: Give his ears a tickle from me.

Thank you very much for another brilliant little hat!

Have a lovely Mother's Day and I hope you get spoiled rotten.

Ellie

Limey
05-11-2008, 06:24 AM
Hiya Folks

I've always been rotten at Maths and stuff, so I wonder could you help me out, please?

Would each of you please send me a PM or email to let me know how many hats you have made so far?

I am not going to put such and suchabody made so many hats, because everyone here does as much as they can and all of you have been so generous and kind with your time and effort.

I would just like to get a rough estimate of how many hats we have made so far between us - (please count the ones you may have already posted).

Many thanks everyone for your all your help and support with this appeal.

With Warmest Wishes and Sincere Thanks.

Ellie

ritaw
05-11-2008, 10:08 AM
:rofl: Daft Bat ? Who dear ? Me dear ? No Dear ! LOL:roflhard:
You said you wanted them so you got them lol . I am just glad that they got there safe and were not damamged in the post :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: Because i forgot to put FRAGILE on the packet LMAO
Glad you liked the flowers. :hug:

Nik - Sorry to hear about the bump , i am glad that you are ok .

Julie - LOL that vet story is funny , reminds me of when i got caught smoking when i was 13 years old . My Dad sat me down and gave me a lecture and then proceeded to take out a packet of smokes . He took one out and handed it to me ( I think his intention was to make me smoke the whole packet so i would be sick )
Instead of taking it i promptly replied by saying That i did not smoke his brand of fags .
Well needless to say I felt the back of his hand . That was the first and last time my dad hit me .
He actually tells me to this day that he could not believe that i said that . Made him furious lol
The hat is beautiful Julie . Love it :woot:

ritaw
05-11-2008, 10:34 AM
Here is another one :hug:

Limey
05-11-2008, 02:26 PM
Hiya Rita

I know I said that I was getting low and needed some lids but I thought you were kidding when you said you'd send me some!:teehee:

Never thought you'd pack 'em and post 'em though!

I'm going to be careful in future - very careful - what I say I'm getting short of to you.:rofl::rofl: :hiding::oo:

But thank you for the very kind thought and thank you so much for the lovely little hat - it's great.

Ah well, I'm going to hop downstairs and try to get some knitting done. No walkies for Sam tonight, it's absolutely persisting down and thundering (no, really, it is thundering - not me slamming the fridge door again!)

Best Wishes

bajanKnit
05-11-2008, 06:24 PM
good news i finished another hat while watching Iron Man at cinema
havnet take a picture yet
bad news is a silly old man reversed ino the passenger side of my car as i was driving, my son was in the passenger seat . my son is fine just a bit shook up and very angry.
happened 2 hrs a go
he is beating up his pillow to get rid of the anger. I dont know if any of you have had dealing with Aspergers but its how he deals with an overload of emotion rather then hitting someone.
so tomorrow morning will be spent on phone to innsuance company as it has damaged 2 doors.
got everything crossed my back holds up.
i could so cry right now . my daughters away hiking for the weekend too so just me and my son
dont seem fair somedays. thats 2 hits this yr both not my fault

so hope you all are having a better one then me
Nikki
Sorry to hear about your accident Hope your son feels better soon!

:) :)

Alicia

bajanKnit
05-11-2008, 06:25 PM
Here is another one :hug:
Nice hat Rita!

:):)
Alicia

bajanKnit
05-11-2008, 06:27 PM
Ellie you are tooooooooooooo funny:roflhard:
Nikkilc sorry to hear about your car:noway:
Rita well what can I say, you do a friend a favor and she calls you a daft bat,:roflhard: course it sounds kinda weird to send jar lids in the mail:teehee: But I think I can top that.After I had dog neutered the Vet.wants me to hold a bag of frozen peas on his ummmm where his 2 jewels used to be so they don't swell up.Told him I didn't have peas would corn do. Picture that:roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflh ard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard:
Well got another hat done.Hope you all have a great weekend:hug:
Beautiful hat Julie love the stripes!

:):):)
Alicia

bajanKnit
05-11-2008, 06:28 PM
Hi

When Julie wrote earlier this week that she'd been attacked and chased by two amorous beavers on her 'driveway' - aka private airstrip - I thought we'd about reached the deepest depths of daftness.

But no, we hadn't. The postman arrived with a small package this morning and I found this inside it from Rita.

What's daft about that you might wonder - nothing until you clock what the lovely little flowers are resting on ..........
HI Ellie
How beautiful goes your garden grow! Nice Flowers very pretty!
:):):)
Alicia

Cynamar
05-11-2008, 07:47 PM
Nice hats Momwolf and Rita! (again!)

momwolf
05-13-2008, 08:44 AM
Got another one done:cheering:
Ellie I better send these hats to you while I can get them in a envelope instead of a box:roflhard:

Rita,Get better soon :hug: Your hats are adorable.Love the little flowers.

Everyone is doing such a nice job on these hats,the babies and mothers are gonna love them ALL:muah:

Nikkilc
05-13-2008, 10:09 AM
momwolf what a sweet hat reminds me of a walnut whip
and Ellie thanks again for the card was so sweet and came at just the right time.
energised to knit more hats now good afternoon all

ritaw
05-13-2008, 12:51 PM
Got another one done:cheering:
Ellie I better send these hats to you while I can get them in a envelope instead of a box:roflhard:

Rita,Get better soon :hug: Your hats are adorable.Love the little flowers.

Everyone is doing such a nice job on these hats,the babies and mothers are gonna love them ALL:muah:
Thanks Julie . I have been trying to rest today . I am feeling a little better .
That hat is just yummy . What kind of yarn are you using ? I just love it :hug:

At the rate you are knitting these hats , You will need to send them in a crate instead of an enevlope lol

Limey
05-13-2008, 01:07 PM
Hiya Julie

Thanks so much for another lovely hat - (something wrong with me today, everything knitted reminds me of cake or sweets.)

It could be a Walnut Whip or a chocolate Swiss Roll but whatever we choose to call it, it's absolutely lovely.

I'm going to send you an email about the hats, so please hang on to yours, and it should be with you soon.

Thanks very much for all your kind help!

Ellie

Limey
05-13-2008, 01:10 PM
Rita said:

Thanks Julie . I have been trying to rest today . I am feeling a little better .
That hat is just yummy . What kind of yarn are you using ? I just love it :hug:

At the reate you are knitting these hats , You will need to send them in a crate instead of an enevlope lol _

Hi Rita

Sorry you're not feeling the best, old fruit.

Is that lurgy still lurking? - you sounded awful bunged up last time I spoke to you.

I hope you can manage to shake it off and that you'll be feeling better soon.

Best Wishes

Ellie

Limey
05-13-2008, 01:19 PM
HiFolks

I went to the hub of the Knitting Universe last week - Morecambe Market - and couldn't resist stocking up a bit on some new(ish?) varigated yarn.

It seems to be self-patterning, and I've put a couple of pix here so that you can see what I'm on about:

The wool is called Magi Knit by James Brett and costs approx 1.90 for 100 gms.

Limey
05-13-2008, 01:21 PM
One more for the pot

ritaw
05-13-2008, 01:28 PM
Hi Ellie .
What a cute little hat . It is so sweet . But i have to say that i am in love with that magi knit yarn . It looks just devine .
Oh and by the way ! I had a look at your blanket that you are doing and it is so pretty . Nice job Hun :)

Nikkilc
05-13-2008, 03:54 PM
that yarn is so yummy i am:drool: :mrgreen:

Limey
05-13-2008, 08:54 PM
Mornin' one and all

Thank you everyone who has written to me, telling me how many hats they have made.

Kick Off for the appeal was 26 March - just seven weeks ago - so, how many hats have been made?

50? Nah

60? Bit Highera WHOPPING

86!!!

:yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::cheering::cheering: :cheering::cheering::cheering::cheering::happydanc e::happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance: :happydance::happydance::):):):):):) :heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::woohoo: :woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::grphug::g rphug::grphug::grphug::grphug::grphug:

Amazing and a Brilliant Effort by All of You
That is just over 12 hats knitted each week!!!
I can't tell you how chuffed I am
THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH

I'VE PROMISED MYSELF THAT I'M GOING TO PUT ALOT OF THINGS ASIDE AND SEE IF I CAN'T GET MY KNITTING SPEED UP!! and turn out more hats (Julie and Rita, pick yourselves up off the floor :roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard: - horrors!)

It would be magic if we could get it to the hundred mark by the end of next week! and I'll let you know if we make it.

Thank you all so much again !!! :star::star::star::star::star::star:

Yours, skipping daisiescloud9:sun:

Ellie

XXXXXX

ritaw
05-14-2008, 01:47 AM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: That is funny Ellie . You are going to build your speed up ? Love It !! made my morning lol:roflhard:

And WOW !! 86 Hats , is great . Considering there are only a few of us on the thread . And we also knit other stuff too.
Thanks Ellie
Great Job everyone :yay:

Alicia - I hope you are well . We have not heard from you in a few days . :muah: I am just checking to see if you are ok .

DQ- I hope everything is OK . Thinking of you Hun.:hug:

Julie _- STOP LAUGHING AT ELLIE'S COMMENTS. :rofl: :rofl:

momwolf
05-14-2008, 02:42 AM
Ellie said --I'VE PROMISED MYSELF THAT I'M GOING TO PUT ALOT OF THINGS ASIDE AND SEE IF I CAN'T GET MY KNITTING SPEED UP!! and turn out more hats (Julie and Rita, pick yourselves up off the floor :roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard: - horrors!)
http://bestsmileys.com/cartoon/10.gif

momwolf
05-14-2008, 02:49 AM
Rita said-STOP LAUGHING AT ELLIE'S COMMENTS. :rofl: :rofl:
http://bestsmileys.com/lol/4.gif
http://bestsmileys.com/wow/2.gif 86 hats,are we good or what?http://bestsmileys.com/dancing/12.gif

ritaw
05-14-2008, 02:53 AM
:rofl: LOL . Julie you are so funny . She is going to give us an ear full hahahahahaha:roflhard:

Limey
05-14-2008, 08:45 AM
:rofl: LOL . Julie you are so funny . She is going to give us an ear full hahahahahaha:roflhard:

Hiya Horrors!

Nah, I won't give you an earful but I'll introduce you to somebody who will:
http://www.chazhound.com/pictures/showphoto.php?photo=2043&ppus
er=1624

if I get any more chelp off you two! :teehee:

Cheeky Beggars!

ritaw
05-14-2008, 09:21 AM
OOohhhhhh i am quaking in my boots lol .
What a cute dog though :)

momwolf
05-14-2008, 09:46 AM
http://bestsmileys.com/surprised/1.gif
I'm scared now:roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflha rd::roflhard:

Limey
05-14-2008, 10:32 AM
Hi

Thought you might like to see how the little hat with the Magi Knit turned out - think it's made a lovely star shape on the top.

ritaw
05-14-2008, 11:03 AM
Looks great Ellie :) Very cute hat . xxx

Nikkilc
05-14-2008, 12:28 PM
so cute:inlove:

Limey
05-14-2008, 03:55 PM
OOohhhhhh i am quaking in my boots lol .
I'm scared now:roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflha rd::roflhard:

************************************************** ******* :roll:

:poke: :knitting: :poke: :knitting: :arrow: Get a move on! Sluggards!

bajanKnit
05-14-2008, 04:39 PM
Alicia - I hope you are well . We have not heard from you in a few days . I am just checking to see if you are ok .

Hi Rita thanks for asking I am fine I am here in the background just reading you guys craziness!! and ooooooing at the beautiful hats.

Great job on the hats everyone really lovely!:) :)

Limey
05-14-2008, 05:33 PM
Hi Alicia and Everyone

I just want to ask folks that if they have quite a number of hats knitted if they could kindly send them to Save the Children as soon as possible, please.

It's winter next month in South Africa and already the nights will be very cold. Average night time temperatures for Johannesburg, Pretoria and Kimberley are 6c (May) 2c (June July) 4c (Aug) - but it can and often does, get colder than this.

Most people, whether they're living in urban or rural areas, do not have any kind of heating other than maybe a small gas stove.

If they don't have that, then it means trekking a long way each day to gather firewood.

Sorry if I sound as if I'm chivvying you, but the hats are desperately needed right now folks.

Thank you all so much again for giving your time and effort to the appeal.

Ellie

momwolf
05-14-2008, 10:06 PM
I have 2 more done:cheering:
Ellie will be sending mine out Monday.Love the hat AND yarn:woohoo:
Rita hope all is well with you!!Watch out for Ellie's German Shepard and that sharp stick:roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::rofl hard:

ritaw
05-15-2008, 02:15 AM
I have 2 more done:cheering:
Ellie will be sending mine out Monday.Love the hat AND yarn:woohoo:
Rita hope all is well with you!!Watch out for Ellie's German Shepard and that sharp stick:roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::rofl hard:
Lovely hats Julie . I just love the yarn you are using . Nice and smooth and shiney. Gives a nice finish. :)
I am more scared of the Stick than the dog lol :rofl:

Alicia- Nice to see that you are ok . make sure you keep Lurking lol :aww:

Ellie - I will finish of the one i have on the needles and i will post my second batch tomorrow.

Great Job everyone :yay:

Limey
05-15-2008, 04:28 AM
Hi

Certainly seem to heading north on the hat count!

I didn't count my hat with the Magi Knit yarn in the 86 figure, so with Julie's two and mine = 3 = 89 hats!

Thanks very much indeed, Julie - magic! I love that blue/turquoise and it goes so well with my avatar too! Very classy!

Think Monday is the best day to post packages internationally - and of course, I'll let you know the minute it arrives.

Thanks so much too, Rita - as you said, that will be the second package you've mailed to the charity - brilliant- can I persuade you to hang fire with the postage tomorrow and maybe post Monday? (not sure if Save the Children offices are open Saturdays) and if you knit over the weekend, you might be able to turn out another hat :whistle:

All the Best everyone and thanks so much again.

ritaw
05-15-2008, 08:26 AM
Ellie , I will hold off tilll next week then .
These should bring your tally up :)

momwolf
05-15-2008, 11:19 AM
Cute hats Rita!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,who knits like the wind

Limey
05-15-2008, 07:40 PM
Hi Rita

What lovely little hats! - and I really like those colours.

Are you using a new kind pattern? - they seem different, somehow.

OK - so that brings us up to 92 hats :knitting::knitting::knitting::knitting::knitting: :knitting::knitting::knitting:- just a few more needed to hit the century.

Many thanks again.

Limey
05-15-2008, 07:46 PM
Cute hats Rita!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,who knits like the wind

I know - it's a wonder she doesn't get indigestion!

Limey
05-16-2008, 05:05 AM
Hi Folks

Stick the headphones on this and try not to knit faster! :happydance: (don't play if you're following Aran or lace patterns!):teehee:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6cPsskr9bt4

Have a great day! :sun:

Ellie

ritaw
05-16-2008, 06:34 AM
Hi Rita

What lovely little hats! - and I really like those colours.

Are you using a new kind pattern? - they seem different, somehow.

OK - so that brings us up to 92 hats :knitting::knitting::knitting::knitting::knitting: :knitting::knitting::knitting:- just a few more needed to hit the century.

Many thanks again.
Thanks Ellie , No , it is not a new pattern . I think because the pic is taken from further away to fit all 3 hats in . They may look a little different . :)

Limey
05-16-2008, 10:18 AM
Hi Rita

Sorry you're not feeling well!

I'll try one of my anti-lurgy spells and see if that works!

Keep warm - it's no wonder people aren't well with this weather.:achoo::achoo:

Spent all yesterday in the garden, lovely sunshine and today I've put the central heating on for an hour or so.

Ellie

ritaw
05-16-2008, 12:52 PM
Thanks Ellie ,
And thank you so much for the E card . It was such a lovely thought :)

ritaw
05-16-2008, 01:20 PM
Two more :muah:

Limey
05-16-2008, 06:05 PM
Hi Rita

You are one very bad lass!

Sittin knittin with a lurgy - do you realise that you've turned out five hats in just over 24 hours! Good Grief! :knitting:so now we're up to 94 hats!

I'm so pleased for the appeal but I do hope you're looking after yourself.

Just in case you aren't, Eddie Stobart is on his way down the M6 with a load of Olbas oil, cough sweets, lotion tissues and an earful from me, telling you off!:teehee:

Thank you very much indeed for working so hard - I really appreciate it and the hats look extremely warm and cosy but try to take it easy!!:roll: (may as well talk to the wall for all the notice she takes - tut!).

All the Best
Ellie

ritaw
05-17-2008, 02:36 AM
Thanks Ellie ,
I will try and take it easy this weekend but have a busy day today with shopping and taking Luke karate .
I will rest tonight lol

Limey
05-18-2008, 04:11 AM
Hiya Folks

I tried out the Magi Knit again - it's great to work with, very smooth but the only down side is that there isn't as much much 'give' in it as with other DK yarn.

Here are hats 95 and 96 (only 4 more and we've hit the century!)and pic of the ball of blue and white yarn I used for one of them.

I casted on 48 stitches for each hat - one roll brim and the other rib - the rib makes quite a difference to the size.

ritaw
05-18-2008, 08:50 AM
Great Hats Ellie ,
They are so pretty . :) At least now you know maybe to cast on a bit more for the rib .
Some yarns just do not stretch .

momwolf
05-18-2008, 09:02 AM
Cute hats Ellie:cheering: Here are 2 more hats and have 1 on needles.
Rita cute hats.We are gonna hit a 100,I just know it:woohoo:

Limey
05-18-2008, 11:50 AM
Wow! Nearly there and thank you so much Julie - those hats are just lovely!

I love those cheerful colours that you knit.

OK - so that's hats 97 and 98! - MAGIC!

Limey
05-18-2008, 12:39 PM
Great Hats Ellie ,
They are so pretty . :) At least now you know maybe to cast on a bit more for the rib .
Some yarns just do not stretch .

Hi Rita

Yeah, you're right -that's why it's always a good idea to keep a tape measure in your knitting bag - so that you can measure accurately how much wider a floppy roll-up brim is compared to a rib.

ritaw
05-18-2008, 02:28 PM
Lovely hats Julie . Nice colours . :)

ritaw
05-18-2008, 02:53 PM
Hi , Here is one hot of the needles . LOL
the picture is a bit dark as the lighting at this time is awful :hug:

Limey
05-18-2008, 03:47 PM
Hiya Rita

Shame about the colour because that looks like a cute little beanie.

Could you perhaps take another photo tomorrow when the light is better? It's a shame not to show the colour properly when you've worked to make the hat.

Dark or not, though - that's hat 99!

Nikkilc
05-18-2008, 04:13 PM
Hi ladies
Ellie i cant remember how many i told you i had knitted but i am just sewing up number 29 and once sewn will be placed in a special plastic bag for posting tomorrow afternoon i have another half knitted too hope to have that finished for posting too.
and my daughter has started her 1st hat too :cheering:

Limey
05-18-2008, 05:07 PM
:star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::s tar::star::star::star:

Yippee Yahoo with Bells On!!!!!!!!!

We did it!!!!!!!!!!

- HAT 100 HERE

THANKS SO MUCH EVERYONE FOR A BRILLIANT EFFORT - YOU'RE ALL STARS

100 BABIES HELPED TO KEEP WARM IN AFRICA, ASIA AND TIBET!!!!!

Limey
05-18-2008, 05:13 PM
Hi ladies
Ellie i cant remember how many i told you i had knitted but i am just sewing up number 29 and once sewn will be placed in a special plastic bag for posting tomorrow afternoon i have another half knitted too hope to have that finished for posting too.
and my daughter has started her 1st hat too :cheering:

Hi Nikki

Well done, that lass!!!!!!

Thanks very much for a wonderful effort and I'm so pleased that your daughter has started knitting too - how's that for a bonus!

Best Wishes

momwolf
05-18-2008, 05:29 PM
Yahooooooooooooooooo we did it 100 hatshttp://bestsmileys.com/dancing/14.gif
Group hughttp://bestsmileys.com/hugging/3.gif

http://bestsmileys.com/party/5.gif

momwolf
05-18-2008, 05:30 PM
Ellie really pretty hat,love the yarn!!!!!!!!!!
Rita way to go,you who knits like the wind!!!!!!!!!!!

Limey
05-18-2008, 05:32 PM
Yahooooooooooooooooo we did it 100 hatshttp://bestsmileys.com/dancing/14.gif
Group hughttp://bestsmileys.com/hugging/3.gif

http://bestsmileys.com/party/5.gif

THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH, JULIE - COULDN'T HAVE DONE IT WITHOUT YOU!!!!!!!!!

WONDERFUL!!!!!!! -

Limey
05-18-2008, 05:47 PM
Hi Folks

I wrote earlier that I wasn't saying here that such and suchabody had knitted so many hats and I'm not, but I DO want to say a

VERY SPECIAL THANKS TO THREE PEOPLE WHO HAVE CONTRIBUTED SO MUCH TO THIS APPEAL

JULIE RITA NIKKIE

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR MAKING SUCH A WONDERFUL EFFORT. IT WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN POSSIBLE TO MAKE SO MANY HATS IN SUCH A SHORT SPACE OF TIME WITHOUT YOUR VERY KIND HELP AND HARD WORK. :muah: :muah::muah:

I APPRECIATE IT SOOOO MUCH!!!!!!!!!

ELLIE

momwolf
05-18-2008, 09:06 PM
It's been a pleasure knitting hats with you ladies:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo: :roflhard::roflhard::roflhard:Thanks for all the laughs:roflhard::roflhard::roflhard: Let's keep going to 200:cheering::woot::cheering::woot:

momwolf
05-18-2008, 11:24 PM
Here is hat 101:cheering:
Ellie-Gregg is taking the hats to the post office tomorrow morning for me.

ritaw
05-19-2008, 02:05 AM
Yipeeeepepepepepepepe !)! . We did it !! :)
Thanks Ellie and Julie . Both your hats are super cute .
For the last 6 hats , i went for a very plain design as i figured it would be quicker and it was .
We made the target lol
Everyone pat yourselves on the back :)
Thanks ellie for being an excellent Host xxx

Limey
05-19-2008, 03:24 AM
Yipeeeepepepepepepepe !)! . We did it !! :)
Thanks Ellie and Julie . Both your hats are super cute .
For the last 6 hats , i went for a very plain design as i figured it would be quicker and it was .
We made the target lol
Everyone pat yourselves on the back :)
Thanks ellie for being an excellent Host xxx

Hiya Rita

I've got to take my hat off to you (ouch! - sorry) - you're like a one-woman knitting factory - I've never known such a speed demon, turning out hats by the box-load!

THANK YOU SO MUCH AGAIN FOR ALL YOUR HARD WORK - YOU'RE A GEM!!!

Ellie

Limey
05-19-2008, 03:32 AM
Here is hat 101:cheering:
Ellie-Gregg is taking the hats to the post office tomorrow morning for me.

Hiya Julie

Please tell Gregg "Thank You!" - he's a brave soul, risking a hernia toting all those hats to the Post Office!!!

I've already put aside three big boxes to post your hats to Save the Children and asked Bev at our Post Office if she'd clear some space so that I can get to the counter with your hat stash!

I love that little hat - looks so warm and cosy.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALL YOUR HARD WORK - MAGIC!!!

Ellie

ritaw
05-19-2008, 08:21 AM
Here is another pic of the hat i posted yesterday . The light is preety dark still as we have a very dreary day here today , Hopefully it will be a little better than yesterdays.
My 2nd batch has been posted today :)
also a pic of the dolly outfit i have just finished . :thumbsup:

Limey
05-19-2008, 01:08 PM
Hiya Rita

That is a lovely little hat - thank you so much and I'm glad you were able to take another picture of it - last night's pic didn't do it justice at all.

I love that beautiful pink suit - it's very cute and adorable for a baby girl - very sweet and I'm sure your friend will be 'tickled pink' when she gets it.

All Best Wishes

Ellie

Nikkilc
05-20-2008, 05:28 AM
thanks Ellie for the ty i got a pic for you to make you smile
30 hats all in there box which is about to be sealed and sent
Have a good one all
Nikki

momwolf
05-20-2008, 06:32 AM
Good job Nikkilc http://bestsmileys.com/bouncing/3.gif

momwolf
05-20-2008, 06:34 AM
Rita the doll outfit is darling, makes me wish I had a doll to knit for:teehee:

Limey
05-20-2008, 07:55 AM
Have a good one all
Nikki

Hi Nikki

"Make me smile" ?? Smile isn't in the neighbourhood but deliriously happy is!! :happydance::woot::cheering: :yay:

THANK YOU SO MUCH - WHAT A BRILLIANT EFFORT!!!!!!! :yay::yay::yay:

I love those colours you've used - they're just great!!!

I'm beginning to feel sorry for the volunteers at Save the Children - we're turning out hats by the box-load.

MANY THANKS AGAIN, EVERYONE, FOR HELPING SO GENEROUSLY WITH THE APPEAL!!!!!!

:muah::muah::muah::muah::muah::muah:

ALL BEST WISHES

Ellie

Limey
05-20-2008, 08:05 AM
Hiya Rita

Ooo :oops::oops::oops::blush::blush::blush: - sorry, Clanger!!!!!

It was only when I read Julie's post that I clocked that the pink 'baby' outfit was destined for a doll!!!!!

Hell's Teeth, I'm sorry.

Should I tell Jon and the Bear that you'll have words with them for making me read so much these last few days???? :eyes::eyes::zombie::zombie:

I'm blaming them, anyway!

Sorry

It's still a cracking outfit though - whether it's for a doll or a baby.

Ellie

ritaw
05-20-2008, 08:46 AM
Hiya Rita

Ooo :oops::oops::oops::blush::blush::blush: - sorry, Clanger!!!!!

It was only when I read Julie's post that I clocked that the pink 'baby' outfit was destined for a doll!!!!!

Hell's Teeth, I'm sorry.

Should I tell Jon and the Bear that you'll have words with them for making me read so much these last few days???? :eyes::eyes::zombie::zombie:

I'm blaming them, anyway!

Sorry

It's still a cracking outfit though - whether it's for a doll or a baby.

Ellie
LOL No problem . :)
I gave it to the little girl yesterday and she was thrilled .
NIK - Your hats are all lovely . Job well done :yay:
JULIE - Thanks Hun . I was pretty happy with it and i think i may go and buy myself a doll lol :cheering:

Nikkilc
05-20-2008, 09:17 AM
Thanks for the kind words:hug:
i have 2 more hats in different stages on needles right now as well

i love that dolls outfit too
:inlove: and i have to admit i have a doll
a new born baby size one so i knew the hats would fit lol
think she needs new clothes to i have to fit in some time for her

bajanKnit
05-20-2008, 11:12 AM
Have a good one all
Nikki
Great job Nikkilc!!!

Limey
05-20-2008, 01:44 PM
Hi Alicia

Where have you been lurkin'?

We've missed you and I don't think it's right you going AWOL - leaving me on my todd trying to keep some semblance of order here with these horrors! :teehee:

If you're out of wool (and I still can't believe you haven't gone round your uncle's flock with some shears - tut! calls herself a knitter! :nails:) you can still chime in here and help me maintain my sanity just by being around.:thumbsup:

Yours, needin' backup!:shock:

Ellie

ritaw
05-21-2008, 08:04 AM
One more for the Kitty :muah:

Limey
05-21-2008, 01:16 PM
One more for the Kitty :muah:

Oo - luv that shade of brown - very chocolaty!!!!!!! scrumptious!!!!

C'mon, cough! Which brand of yarn is it and what particular shade!

Shouldn't be on here when I'm hungry!

momwolf
05-21-2008, 06:23 PM
Another cute hat Rita:cheering:
Ellie get your mind off of chocolate:tap: you are not suppose to eat anything that tastes good :roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard: I almost have another hat done:woohoo: will post pic when I'm done

Limey
05-21-2008, 07:33 PM
Another cute hat Rita:cheering:
Ellie get your mind off of chocolate:tap: you are not suppose to eat anything that tastes good :roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard: I almost have another hat done:woohoo: will post pic when I'm done

Hiya Julie

Can't wait to see it! What flavour is - er, I mean, what colour is it?:mmm:

http://www.keepitsweet.co.uk/catalog/images/Retro-Party-Bag.gif

Hmmm - anybody would think I'd got the midnight munchies!

PS - Check it out, Julie, - there isn't a chocolate to be seen!

momwolf
05-21-2008, 07:33 PM
Here it is :cheering: I LOVE this color:woohoo: Gotta love Caron Simply Soft colors:inlove:
Wow Ellie we posted at the same exact time

momwolf
05-21-2008, 10:37 PM
Ya but what good is candy if you don't have some of this :shock:

momwolf
05-21-2008, 10:58 PM
OR this :shock: :thud:That's it I'm done for-----------off to find chocolate

Limey
05-22-2008, 07:36 AM
Hiya Julie

:roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard: :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::chair::chair::chair ::chair::chair::chair:

I swear there are times when you'd make a cat laugh - daft nit!

I dunno, call yourself a choc-o-holic and you don't know where your

"Emergency Stash!!!! - Do Not Touch!!! Strictly Off Limits!!!!
is?

Can you still not get Terry's Chocolate Orange in US?
http://images.ciao.com/iuk/images/products/normal/768/product-5324768.jpg

Tut - what a shame! :hair: Could be though, (munch, crunch, melt) play your cards right, that a midnight muncher could send some your way:whistle:

Thanks so much for the gorgeous hat and I think that colour is the business - really lovely stuff.

Ellie XXXX

momwolf
05-22-2008, 08:32 AM
All I can find is oranges no orange candy
Cats laugh?

ritaw
05-22-2008, 01:39 PM
LOL You guys are chocolate mad . :)
Thanks for your nice comments and i love the hat Julie . It is a lovely colour .
Ellie - I am not sure what yarn i have used because i have had it a long time and the ball bands gone . Could be off a market stall maybe :)

Limey
05-22-2008, 06:16 PM
Hiya Rita

"Ellie - I am not sure what yarn i have used because i have had it a long time and the ball bands gone . Could be off a market stall maybe" she said.
Oohh - well, there's a blow :verysad:- lovely shade of chocolate but no ball band - bummer

Just had a thought!:figureditout:

Would it be ok next time you fancy a bit of chocolate (if you're like me, that could be in the next five minutes) to go and get a few different bars (strictly in the interests of knitting karma, of course) unwrap them and check them against the yarn?

This, though, might pose a bit of a problem - I mean, what would you do with all that uneaten choc!??

Nah - maybe that's not such a good idea after all!

- oo, I know :figureditout::figureditout:- why not send me a small sample of the yarn and then I could go out and get a few bars (again, strictly in the interests of knitting karma) and test them for colour!

I've just had another look at that very fine hat and indeedy, it does put me in mind of a Mars Bar, but I could be wrong - Galaxy could fit the bill but just to be on the safe side, I'd have to have a squint at Cadbury's Dairy Milk as well. We don't have a problem with uneaten choc around here - longest shelf-life is two minutes and ticking.

Some twerp I share the house with has just pointed out that I could get the sample of yarn from you and go to a wool shop and match it up!

Have you ever heard the like of it? Matching up chocolate wool without the the chocolate! - doesn't bear thinking about. Obviously a non-knitter!:noway:

Oh - well, sacrifices have to be made - so I'll get practicing with the choc.

Start off with my favourite, which sort of matches my avatar as well!

http://www.sweetnapa.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/02/CIMG8583.thumbnail.JPG

Cynamar
05-22-2008, 07:43 PM
You can get those chocolate oranges in the US at World Market. YUM!!!!!!